Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:15 AM

Hope For Kidney Disease Patients - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hope For Kidney Disease Patients (7780 Views)

10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage / Anyone With A Solution For Kidney Stone And Urinary Track Infection, Please Help / Nigeria Has 7 Hospitals For Kidney Transplant- Health Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by chioma134: 8:49pm On May 14, 2011
Hi,everyone. As a health worker in one of the tertiary hospitals in this country,I've come to appreciate 1st hand the harrowing experience Chronic Kidney Disease patients have to go through.CKD is a condition where the kidney function is progressively and irreversibly reduced,such that the fxns of the kidney,including excretion,cannot be carried out.

There are a lot of causes e.g. Hypertension, diabetes, kidney infection, glomerulonephritis, HIV, hepatitis B and C, obstructive uropathy, a variant of malaria parasite, bleaching creams, herbal medication, etc. The patient needs dialysis for life, until a kidney transplant can be done. In my centre, each dialysis session,with accompanying tests, costs 20k. Most patients require a minimum of 3 sessions weekly making the weekly cost about 60k and monthly cost about 240k

.Now,very few families can afford this and this makes them default from treatment. They later come back to the hospital with life-threatening complications which claims most of their lives. If lucky to survive,they incur exhorbitant hospital bills including the cost of several sessions of salvage dialysis. Thus the vicious cycle continues. They usually can't afford the millions required for kidney transplant overseas. 

I've seen happy homes become sad,and middle income families become impoverished due to CKD. And no age group is spared, both young and old are affected alike. CKD has become an epidemic,so many people are affected.Of course there's no govt help,and little or no NGO support.                                           
I'm using this medium to appeal to well-meaning individuals and groups to help these people in cash or kind. If you have any idea about how to raise money, or groups willing to be involved in this type of stuff, inform me at the ff email: hope4kidneydx@hotmail dot com or post your suggestions in this forum. I will post real life cases in later posts. REMEMBER, no assistance is too small. your replies will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by chioma134: 6:46pm On May 15, 2011
Today at the hospital,Mr J.I.,a CKD patient caused by hypertension and diabetes came.He had missed his dialysis for one month due to financial constraints.He came with generalized tremors and jerky movt of his body.He needed urgent dialysis and admission,but could afford only dialysis.Mr J.I. is unemployed,and his wife is a junior civil servant.They were asked to get more money,but they couldn't. His wife is bitter about the condition.She says she's the only one sustaining the family and bearing the cost of treatment.She had to borrow money to come to hospital.As at the time I left, they were yet to be admitted because their money was not complete.Don't blame the doctors and nurses.That is the mgt policy.
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by Seun(m): 1:43pm On May 20, 2011
I look forward to reading more.
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by 702: 2:45pm On May 20, 2011
Added Hope!!!!

Nigerian girl makes history as first beneficiary of bloodless kidney transplant

Twenty-three-year old Nigerian girl Akani Chimenem Paul has become the world’s first beneficiary of a bloodless kidney transplant surgery.
The operation, performed on May 3 by a team of three surgeons at Moolchand Hospital, New Delhi, India, set a new benchmark in organ transplantation.
The team, led by Dr. Ramesh Kumar, a senior consultant and  adviser in Nephroplogy and Transplantation, has as members, Dr. H. S. Bhatyal and Dr. Vijay Langer, who are senior transplants surgeon and senior consultant Anesthesiologist.
Before the Kumar-led team took up the challenge to perperformed the surgery, Miss Akani was suffering from kidney tumour (Renal Cell Carcinona).
A four-kilogramme tumour with minimal blood loss was removed from the patient by the surgeons with no blood stain.
Prior to the feat, all major surgeries as open-heart surgery, kidney transplantation and brain operations require blood transfusion during operative procedures.
But the team took up the challenge and performed the bloodless kidney transplant surgery successfully for the first time-ever in India — with no blood loss and transfusion.
Speaking on the feat, Kumar said:  “Both the kidney donor and recipient are fine and stable and can now live a normal life and will be discharged in two to three days”.
He went on: “This bloodless surgery does not require special equipment, eliminates adversr effects, lowers infection rates and minimises immunosuppressant and can turn to be a miracle for the patients seeking kidney transplant.
With haemoglobin as low as  30 per cent of the normal, that is 4.2 Hb in this case, was an increased danger for a major surgical procedure like transplantation.  A planned surgery where the lives of two people; one - a recipient of a live organ and the other - a normal healthy person donating an essential organ; the task was double-edged for any failure of the outcome.”
Moolchand is one of India’s foremost names in healthcare. It  has been setting standards for excellence in healthcare for the past half century.  It is a multi-specialty healthcare services provider, with over 50 specialty centres and over 500 doctors, who were trained and accredited in the United States (US) and the United Kindgom (UK).
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by Oby1(f): 3:03pm On May 20, 2011
looking forward to also read more
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by chioma134: 3:08pm On May 20, 2011
Thanks,Seun for ur encouragement and for making this front page. Mrs. M.A. was diagnosed with CKD abt 3 months ago.Since then,she has not remained the same.She has been in and out of hospital admission 3 times.She came in last 2 weeks unconscious ff several convulsions.She had missed dialysis 4 one week due to lack of funds.She is unemployed,while her husbnd is a struggling businessman.I took particular interest in their case because of the open display of affection 4 her by her hubby.He is truly in love with her.However,the burden has become 2 much 4 him.He requested 4 discharge as soon as his wife regained consciousness ff 3 dialysis sessions.Reason-he couldn't afford the hospital bills anymore.I nearly cried the day they left because I knew that if they didn't find money,her condition would only worsen.
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by Nobody: 3:12pm On May 20, 2011
Oh my God, This is what the rich should be doing, instead of acquiring flying toys,
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by monkeyleg: 4:09pm On May 20, 2011
This sort of news drains the life out of me with sadness. We need to rediscover our soul in that country. I fight on this forum constantly for good governance, because I know the common man is sure to benefit.

Please paste this on Mr Presidents Facebook page.

Our agitation for good governance must not stop just because the elections are over. The fight must continue for all of us
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by Nobody: 4:41pm On May 20, 2011
chioma134:

Hi,everyone. As a health worker in one of the tertiary hospitals in this country,I've come to appreciate 1st hand the harrowing experience Chronic Kidney Disease patients have to go through.CKD is a condition where the kidney function is progressively and irreversibly reduced,such that the fxns of the kidney,including excretion,cannot be carried out.

There are a lot of causes e.g. Hypertension, diabetes, kidney infection, glomerulonephritis, HIV, hepatitis B and C, obstructive uropathy, a variant of malaria parasite, bleaching creams, herbal medication, etc. The patient needs dialysis for life, until a kidney transplant can be done. In my centre, each dialysis session,with accompanying tests, costs 20k. Most patients require a minimum of 3 sessions weekly making the weekly cost about 60k and monthly cost about 240k

.Now,very few families can afford this and this makes them default from treatment. They later come back to the hospital with life-threatening complications which claims most of their lives. If lucky to survive,they incur exhorbitant hospital bills including the cost of several sessions of salvage dialysis. Thus the vicious cycle continues. They usually can't afford the millions required for kidney transplant overseas. 

I've seen happy homes become sad,and middle income families become impoverished due to CKD. And no age group is spared, both young and old are affected alike. CKD has become an epidemic,so many people are affected.Of course there's no govt help,and little or no NGO support.                                           
I'm using this medium to appeal to well-meaning individuals and groups to help these people in cash or kind. If you have any idea about how to raise money, or groups willing to be involved in this type of stuff, inform me at the ff email: hope4kidneydx@hotmail dot com or post your suggestions in this forum. I will post real life cases in later posts. REMEMBER, no assistance is too small. your replies will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

My dad died of this illness and I know how harrowing it can be . . . especially on the victim's loved ones. By default, I feel some sort of empathy towards people in this condition and I always try to help them whenever I can.

This is a good idea and I applaud your kindness. Keep it up!

That being said, if you want to get help from people on this forum, you might want to start giving a little bit more details . . . . Where you work, who your victims are and how this info can be confirmed.

Once again, well done!
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by Akosbaba(m): 4:50pm On May 20, 2011
thumbs up poster,really enlightening and encouraging
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by 190: 5:04pm On May 20, 2011
nice one poster angry angry
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by chioma134: 5:29pm On May 20, 2011
@Ujujoan, thanks 4 ur suggestions. I work in National Hospital, Abuja. I can't disclose the patients' names,you know, doctor-patient confidentiality. If u need to verify any info, go to NHA PRO office. If u want to donate to the patients, go to NHA social welfare office and tell them u specifically want to donate to CKD patients. Once again,thanks to everyone for ur encouragement.
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by Nobody: 6:07pm On May 20, 2011
God Bless You.
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by Chinedu1991(m): 10:18pm On May 20, 2011
seriously, people something has to be done about this kidney problem. I just went for a friends dad's burial today, the man had kidney disease. Classmate of mine sometime last year, and a friends friend recently. Something has to be done. The public has to be sensitised. Am presently a pre-clincal medical student. I pray there will be hope in years to come.
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by Chinedu1991(m): 10:19pm On May 20, 2011
seriously, people something has to be done about this kidney problem. I just went for a friends dad's burial today, the man had kidney disease. Classmate of mine sometime last year, and a friends friend recently. Something has to be done. The public has to be sensitised. Am presently a pre-clincal medical student. I pray there will be hope in years to come.
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by chelseabmw(m): 11:26pm On May 20, 2011
nice post
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by nsiadi: 1:41pm On May 21, 2011
We hv many rich ppl in Nigeria, the richest African is our brother! Let the message be spread.
Has d NTA no section on charity? Let an NGO spring up 2 raise d awareness. Place ads on pigeon holes of our law makers.
Ppl who hv money shd use it wisely, God, wl surely, bless them more
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by sley4life(m): 6:53pm On May 22, 2011
I blv once its detected earlier there is chances of survival
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by chioma134: 8:12pm On May 25, 2011
We lost a CKD patient yesterday morning. He had gotten to a stage where multiple dialysis could not save him. It took a while for his wife to accept that he was gone.
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by chioma134: 8:30pm On May 25, 2011
Mrs. M.A has been on admission for the past 4 days. As usual,she had missed her dialysis for about 2 weeks and came in severe breathlessness and cough. Saw her crying today and on asking why,she said she does not like her condition. She said she feels she's giving her husband too much stress. Says she has 3 kids at home with no one looking after them.Husband has been running around trying to provide blood for transfusion and money for repeat dialysis. I'm still hoping that well-meaning individuals will come to their rescue.
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by chioma134: 9:05pm On May 25, 2011
Mr.P.C is a 19 year old orphan who had just completed SSCE. Lives with his petty trader aunt and her security guard husband. Was diagnosed with CKD 4 months ago and 1st came to our hospital 2 months ago as an emergency. Was stabilised and discharged. Came in unconscious about 3 weeks ago. It took several sessions of dialysis to stabilize him. He was discharged and advised not to miss his dialysis sessions. However yet to see him,possibly due to lack of money. Don't 4get,the aim of this thread is to create awareness of the disease and to solicit for financial help. If interested,go to National hospital social welfare dept. Or to any hospital near you that offers dialysis services. God bless you as you do so.
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by chioma134: 9:20am On Jun 25, 2011
Lost a patient 2 nights ago. Her case was different cos she actually had the means to sustain herself. However her symptoms were severe. Started gasping at home but died b4 reaching the hospital. May her soul rest in peace.
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by chioma134: 9:34am On Jun 25, 2011
Mrs M.A. Has been on admission twice since the last post. Husband has sold his car and other property,and there is no money now. Sister came shedding crocodile tears and accusing the husband publicly of neglecting his wife. Says her family had spent abt 50k. Doesn't realize that is chicken feed. Was so bad some doctors had to contribute money to help. Efforts being made by the hospital to appeal to the public on her behalf and for others. Heard President Yaradua used to contribute heavily to these patients when he was alive but since his death,no other source of help. Pls everyone,try to contribute something no matter how small.
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by camrygmail: 4:43am On Oct 05, 2011
Hi Chioma

God bless u for your efforts and for soliciting for help for your patients. I am sure your job is not an easy one. And

I will really love to be of help.

My dad has suffered from ckd and has to have dialysis treatment 3times a week. It is really a sad thing to see a loved one go through so much.he used to be so lively and the dialysis just makes him weaker and more fragile . I still thank God for keeping him and see us thru thus far.

I am not sure how I can be of help. But I am definitely volunteeering myself for any fundraising/awareness campaigns.

Do u know if there are any NGOs I can make a small contribution tru? Monetary and time contributions
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by chioma134: 9:05am On Oct 05, 2011
camrygmail:

ooHi Chioma

God bless u for your efforts and for soliciting for help for your patients. I am sure your job is not an easy one. And

I will really love to be of help.

My dad has suffered from ckd and has to have dialysis treatment 3times a week. It is really a sad thing to see a loved one go through so much.he used to be so lively and the dialysis just makes him weaker and more fragile . I still thank God for keeping him and see us thru thus far.

I am not sure how I can be of help. But I am definitely volunteeering myself for any fundraising/awareness campaigns.

Do u know if there are any NGOs I can make a small contribution tru? Monetary and time contributions
I'm really sorry to hear abt ur dad. I understand how poor his health could be. Has ur family considered kidney transplant? I wish him good recovery.
I'm yet to come across an NGO solely interested in CKD patients in Nigeria. Some NGOs interested in childhood diseases may want to help children with Ckd,but I've not seen any for adults. I'm making arrangements to start one,however. U could join mine when it takes off,but in the meantime,u could donate to the social welfare dept of any hospital/dialysis centre around u.
To everyone else interested in helping,go to the nearest dialysis centre around u. Ur contribution could save a life. All the patients I talked about above are now late,it's painful. Let's come together and give the patients hope.
God bless u all. ts. I'm making arrangements to start one,however. U could join mine when it takes off,but in the meantime,u could donate to the social welfare dept of any hospital/dialysis centre around u.
To everyone else interested in helping,go to the nearest dialysis centre around u. Ur contribution could save a life. All the patients I talked about above are now late,it's painful. Let's come together and give the patients hope.
God bless u all.
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by agiboma(f): 8:12pm On Feb 04, 2012
Chioma can you email me please i am in the process of opening a dialysis center in Port Harcourt, using my own money to do it i cant offer all treatments for free but where looking @ providing services @ a reduced cost, agiboma@gmail.com
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by mariousroi: 12:11am On Feb 05, 2012
I believe that kidney failure can be totally reversed using a cocktail of food and herbal supplements which acts as kidney tonifiers.The advantage they possess is that they do not have terrible or harshly adverse side effects in revitalising the kidneys back to life.I recommended some supplements to a sufferer in June 2010 who is from Niger and the man is still okay.Let's say we got lucky as i don't want to be penalised by the moderator.So i will lie low here.
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by agiboma(f): 9:32am On Feb 05, 2012
mariousroi:

I believe that kidney failure can be totally reversed using a cocktail of food and herbal supplements which acts as kidney tonifiers.The advantage they possess is that they do not have terrible or harshly adverse side effects in revitalising the kidneys back to life.I recommended some supplements to a sufferer in June 2010 who is from Niger and the man is still okay.Let's say we got lucky as i don't want to be penalised by the moderator.So i will lie low here.

Yeah you need to lie low with this NONSENSE. How dare you post this rubbish! Every medical professional knows that kidney cells are the hardest cells of any organ to rejuvinate. This thread is about individuals suffering from end stage kidney disease. Its the end of the road for these patients and dialysis or kidney transplant is the only option, to prolong their lives. How can you come on here trying to deceive people may god punish you for this wicked act.
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by Nobody: 1:58pm On Feb 08, 2012
What about hospitals that treat kidney infections properly, Early test and treatment would make people avoid life threatening complications.
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by jonnydepp31: 2:22pm On Feb 08, 2012
Very useful information, I really appreciate this site. You must have done good research for the work.
Re: Hope For Kidney Disease Patients by Alexylas: 9:36pm On May 23, 2012
T

(1) (2) (Reply)

These Hot Before And After Pics Will Give You A Reason To Exercise (photos) / COVID-19 Update For October 16 2021 In Nigeria / What Are The Benefits Of Chewing Bitter Kola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.