Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,569 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? (7668 Views)

Poll: Should the CBN Be Involved In Hotel Building?

Yes. It's financial too!: 23% (6 votes)
No, he's over-reaching.: 76% (20 votes)
This poll has ended

CBN Now Conduit Pipe For Politicians –pastor Tunde Bakare / Is Sanusi Still Better Than Soludo? / Really, Who Is Sanusi Lamido Sanusi? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by violent(m): 1:45pm On May 17, 2011
enyojo:

YOU ARE WRONG THERE. WHAT IS ILLIQUID AGAIN?
IF AN ASSET IS NOT LIQUID, IT IS SOLID!
simple commonsense proves that a solid asset is better and more reliable than a liquid asset.

If you don't know what illiquid means, why should you even argue about it?

we are not talking english terms here darling, we are talking financial terms, you should have probably shut up so people don't have to put a ridiculously low value on your IQ!
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by Nobody: 1:46pm On May 17, 2011
I don't believe this story. There is no aorta of truth in it
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by fawazbruce: 1:51pm On May 17, 2011
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by Nobody: 1:54pm On May 17, 2011
violent:

we are not talking english terms here darling, we are talking financial terms, you should have probably shut up so people don't have to put a ridiculously low value on your IQ!
mEN, enyojo killed it, chei grin grin
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by namdo(m): 2:05pm On May 17, 2011
this cannot be true, sanusi should know this is wrong of him. Who approved the project? is GEJ aware? if this is true then some crazy guys are incharge over there. may God help us as a nation. shocked
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by Mariory(m): 2:07pm On May 17, 2011
violent:

ROFL! grin grin
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by Nobody: 2:11pm On May 17, 2011
namdo:

this cannot be true, sanusi should know this is wrong of him. Who approved the project? is GEJ aware? if this is true then some crazy guys are incharge over there. may God help us as a nation. shocked
Minister of national planning, thankyou
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by namdo(m): 2:18pm On May 17, 2011
@okeymadu
for me sanusi should not go into such venture as a hotel building. if the building belonged to CBN well i can escuse him a bit.
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by violent(m): 2:24pm On May 17, 2011
blink182:

mEN, enyojo killed it, chei grin grin

i tell you men, i just burst into laff as i read hin post, the babe wan tear my belle
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by Nobody: 2:27pm On May 17, 2011
Wrong move . . . *shakes head in dissapointment!*
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by enyojo(f): 2:28pm On May 17, 2011
violent:

i tell you men, i just burst into laff as i read hin post, the babe wan tear my belle

I assume you were not using any seeing aid. If not you would have seen this question in my earlier post:

enyojo:

WHAT IS ILLIQUID AGAIN?

But instead of answering like a Financial Guru you want us to believe you are, you resorted into unwarranted attack.
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by enyojo(f): 2:30pm On May 17, 2011
@Violent, For your information, I've done a minor research on it.
Now go ahead to link the assumed illiquidity of this proposed project to your narrow-minded concept. Thanks

The name 'Violent' perfectly suits u
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by Mariory(m): 2:34pm On May 17, 2011
enyojo stop digging. The proposed hotel is not assumed illiquid. It is illiquid.
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by enyojo(f): 2:38pm On May 17, 2011
Statement of CBN Core Mandate
The mandate of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) is derived from the 1958 Act of Parliament, as amended in 1991, 1993,1997,1998,1999 and 2007.

The CBN Act of 2007 of the Federal Republic of Nigeria charges the Bank with the overall control and administration of the monetary and financial sector policies of the Federal Government.

The objects of the CBN are as follows:

1. ensure monetary and price stability;
2. Issue legal tender currency in Nigeria;
3. maintain external reserves to safeguard the international value of the legal tender currency;
4. promote a sound financial system in Nigeria; and
   act as Banker and provide economic and financial advice to the Federal Government.
Consequently, the Bank is charged with the responsibility of administering the Banks and Other Financial Institutions (BOFI) Act (1991) as amended, with the sole aim of ensuring high standards of banking practice and financial stability through its surveillance activities, as well as the promotion of an efficient payment system.

In addition to its core functions, CBN has over the years performed some major developmental functions, focussed on all the key sectors of the Nigerian economy (financial, agricultural and industrial sectors). Overall, these mandates are carried out by the Bank through its various departments.

Whatever the CBN does to ensure stability of the Naira and the Economy at large is in accordance with their statutory mandate even if it means building the tallest building on earth of building a world-class hospitality structure in abuja. ILLIQUID OR ISOLID. grin grin grin
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by chamber2(m): 2:45pm On May 17, 2011

Whatever the CBN does to ensure stability of the Naira and the Economy at large is in accordance with their statutory mandate even if it means building the tallest building on earth of building a world-class hospitality structure in abuja. ILLIQUID OR ISOLID.

Pls, stop all this nonsense
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by hercules07: 2:46pm On May 17, 2011
See the Sanusi haters coming out of the woodwork.
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by Nobody: 2:46pm On May 17, 2011
enyojo:

I assume you were not using any seeing aid. If not you would have seen this question in my earlier post:

But instead of answering like a Financial Guru you want us to believe you are, you resorted into unwarranted attack.

The state of a security or other asset that cannot easily be sold or exchanged for cash without a substantial loss in value. Illiquid assets also cannot be sold quickly because of a lack of ready and willing investors or speculators to purchase the asset. The lack of ready buyers also leads to larger discrepancies between the asking price (from the seller) and the bidding price (from a buyer) than would be found in an orderly market with daily trading activity.    A liquid asset is an asset that can be converted into cash quickly and with minimal impact to the price received. Liquid assets are generally regarded in the same light as cash because their prices are relatively stable when they are sold on the open market.

Some examples of inherently illiquid assets include houses, cars, antiques, private company interests and some types of debt instruments. On the other end of the spectrum, most listed securities traded at major exchanges, such as stocks, funds, bonds and commodities are very liquid, and can be sold instantaneously during regular market hours at fair market price.  

Illiquid securities carry higher risks than liquid ones; this becomes especially true during times of market turmoil when the ratio of buyers to sellers may be thrown out of balance. During these times, holders of illiquid securities may find themselves unable to unload them at all, or unable to do so without losing a lot of money.

For an asset to be liquid it needs an established market with enough participants to absorb the selling without materially impacting the price of the asset. There also needs to be a relative ease in the transfer of ownership and the movement of the asset. Liquid assets include most stocks, money market instruments and government bonds. The foreign exchange market is deemed to be the most liquid market in the world because trillions of dollars exchange hands each day, making it impossible for any one individual to influence the exchange rate.
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by enyojo(f): 2:48pm On May 17, 2011
chamber2:

Pls, stop all this nonsense

I can see u r in a Cyber and ur time is running out. Sorry!

hercules07:

See the Sanusi haters coming out of the woodwork.

Thanks bro
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by MMM2(m): 2:57pm On May 17, 2011
i have a feel dat sanusi is doing drugs.
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by GOFON(m): 3:15pm On May 17, 2011
i dey laugh o! i'll be right back
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by manny4life(m): 3:18pm On May 17, 2011
enyojo:

YOU ARE WRONG THERE. WHAT IS ILLIQUID AGAIN?
IF AN ASSET IS NOT LIQUID, IT IS SOLID!
simple commonsense proves that a solid asset is better and more reliable than a liquid asset.

LOL , enyojo, please stop making us laugh here. Although I understand your reasoning; but you're looking at the in the literal term. In the financial term, if an asset is not liquid, depending on what type of assets and in this case they could be referred to as Capital Assets in Management Accounting (often known as PPE - Property, Plant and Equipments). Per you, solid assets is often better than liquid assets; I can agree with that to some extent but that largely depends on several factors; like type of industry, types of assets, age of assets etc. For instance, retail conglomerates like CVS Caremark or Wal-mart would rather have more of liquid asset (cash and cash equivalents) on their balance sheets as opposed to a manufacturing firm who has a lot of Capital / Fixed Assets (or PPE). Pharmaceuticals Corps for instance has a lot of intangible assets (particularly patents of drugs etc).

I never knew that the CBN could undertake such a project; is this supposed to be govt owned?  I never knew that CBN could do that, engage in for-profit ventures ; however, if they could, I would rather see Sanusi take upon Development and Capital projects rather then build or restructure old building.
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by Katsumoto: 3:22pm On May 17, 2011
You don't need to be an economist to know that it is not the function of a Central Bank to engage in commerce. Can a judge be a lawyer at the same time?

If the CBN which is meant to be an impartial regulator engages in commerce, what stops it from influencing monetary policy to aid its projects? After all, the said hotel will be in competition with other hotels. What stops it from twisting the arms of the bankers of other rival hotels? The CAN easily cause money problems for its rivals.

The minute a referee buys shares in a betting company; he/she ceases to be impartial.
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by enyojo(f): 3:30pm On May 17, 2011
blink182:

The state of a security or other asset that cannot easily be sold or exchanged for cash without a substantial loss in value. Illiquid assets also cannot be sold quickly because of a lack of ready and willing investors or speculators to purchase the asset. The lack of ready buyers also leads to larger discrepancies between the asking price (from the seller) and the bidding price (from a buyer) than would be found in an orderly market with daily trading activity.    A liquid asset is an asset that can be converted into cash quickly and with minimal impact to the price received. Liquid assets are generally regarded in the same light as cash because their prices are relatively stable when they are sold on the open market.

Some examples of inherently illiquid assets include houses, cars, antiques, private company interests and some types of debt instruments. On the other end of the spectrum, most listed securities traded at major exchanges, such as stocks, funds, bonds and commodities are very liquid, and can be sold instantaneously during regular market hours at fair market price.  

Illiquid securities carry higher risks than liquid ones; this becomes especially true during times of market turmoil when the ratio of buyers to sellers may be thrown out of balance. During these times, holders of illiquid securities may find themselves unable to unload them at all, or unable to do so without losing a lot of money.

For an asset to be liquid it needs an established market with enough participants to absorb the selling without materially impacting the price of the asset. There also needs to be a relative ease in the transfer of ownership and the movement of the asset. Liquid assets include most stocks, money market instruments and government bonds. The foreign exchange market is deemed to be the most liquid market in the world because trillions of dollars exchange hands each day, making it impossible for any one individual to influence the exchange rate.

All the same, the karnel of the issue is that it is the mad craze for LIQUID profits that has left our Stock market and even the financial sector as a whole in the trenches.
Can u imagine a man I know of who hurriedly sold a house in Asokoro for tiny sums in the rush to invest in the stocks for quick profits?
Then, the Sweet-mouthed Stockbrokers were buying stocks and selling them in days and weeks using speculative strategies.
See where we have found ourselves now undecided
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by OAM4J: 4:11pm On May 17, 2011
oh no! just when am beginning to like this man.

totally uncalled for.
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by OmoTier1(m): 4:32pm On May 17, 2011
typical of nigerians! they jump before they look.

With Sanusi ugly fight with the current despotic NASS,do you really think SLS will engage in something not within the CBN and those NASS vultures will not cry foul?

Before we comment on issues like this, first lets ask ourself this question;
Has the law governing CBN given the CBN governor and his board the power to carry out such activies? Maybe this has been part of the law but past governors and thier board members pocketed the money!

lemmi go do some digging cool
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by texazzpete(m): 4:58pm On May 17, 2011
Abeg let someone provide a link from any paper other than the Ibru owned Guardian newspapers. Please forgive me for taking any Sanusi related news from the Guardian with a pinch of salt.
Thank you.
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by texazzpete(m): 5:03pm On May 17, 2011
Also, this quote exists in the Guardian link

Coming under CBN’s 2011 capital projects

So my question is, what exactly is 'CBN's capital projects'? Are 'Capital projects' something new under Sanusi and what is the scope of the 'capital projects'? What other capital projects are there in the 2011 portfolio?

These are the questions that need to be asked. I'd appreciate answers.
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by paddylo1(m): 8:58pm On May 17, 2011
texazzpete:

Also, this quote exists in the Guardian link

So my question is, what exactly is 'CBN's capital projects'? Are 'Capital projects' something new under Sanusi and what is the scope of the 'capital projects'? What other capital projects are there in the 2011 portfolio?

These are the questions that need to be asked. I'd appreciate answers.

CBN capital projects are not new and could mean anything from upgrading servers and computer/IT backbone to Renovating its CBN buildings in the 36 state capitals. .

However the Central Bank going directly into building hotels to achieve the misguided idea of stimulating real estate is madness of the highest order

If anything the Finance Ministry should be the one stimulating real estate, through the use of incentives and tax breaks to banks and property buyers and developers. . not the CBN
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by nsiadi: 9:16pm On May 17, 2011
Rt 4rm d time d senate was screening him he exhibited that his degree of madness needs no harmattan 2 blossom. Rt there he advocated 4 d reduction of d 7-point agenda to just 2. He never went further 2 pursue that. What baffles more is that nobody rebuked him 4 sounding insultive 2 d govt that was trying 2 hire him.
Most ppl agree that his purported clean-up of the banks was a huge failure. Those banks suffered more by panic  withdrawals embarked by their numerous customers. They are yet 2 recover.
The exchange rate has nose dived. Inflation has galloped. Yet the wall street journal said he was d best apex bank chief 4 2010. They even said ours was among the fastest growing economy. We are unable to see this translated to growth in per capita income. Poverty rate is still v high. His brothers illiteracy rate is abetting.
He doesnt need to establish a hotel 2 stimulate economy. All he needs do is put on his thinking cap, if he has any, that is.
JEGA didnt venture into real estate business b4 sending the bad guys packing. He mere used d power invested in him & developed impeccable synergies. We know SLS has enormous powers. If he must venture  into business let him expand printing capacity of CBN. We can save monies instead of rushing abroad to print our currencies, ballot papers & other security documents.
Only a daft will complain that our current president doesnt allow  him free hands to show skills. But we must not allow negative ones like d one being touted by SLS
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by RoadStar: 6:49am On May 18, 2011
But come to think of it. This is a top economic policy maker who have done more writeups in ethnic politics and religion with hardly any in finance and economnics.
You must give the man credit ! He has exceeded all my expectations with his simplistic Bsc level approach to the economy.

But this is a country with GEJ as president, another simplistic mediocre
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by texazzpete(m): 7:37am On May 18, 2011
paddy_lo:

CBN capital projects are not new and could mean anything from upgrading servers and computer/IT backbone to Renovating its CBN buildings in the 36 state capitals. .

However the Central Bank going directly into building hotels to achieve the misguided idea of stimulating real estate is madness of the highest order

If anything the Finance Ministry should be the one stimulating real estate, through the use of incentives and tax breaks to banks and property buyers and developers. . not the CBN

So you agree that this then is not out of the ordinary if it can fall under the 'Capital projects' portfolio?

Also, without seeing the economics of the project how can you unequivocally condemn this as 'madness'?
Re: Is Sanusi Mad?. . Cbn Now Into Building Hotels? by ektbear: 7:47am On May 18, 2011
texazzpete:

So you agree that this then is not out of the ordinary if it can fall under the 'Capital projects' portfolio?

Also, without seeing the economics of the project how can you unequivocally condemn this as 'madness'?

The economics are not relevant. It is beyond the scope of the CBN. The CBNs job is not to be building hotels. There needs to be separation of powers in government and focus on what they were hired to do.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Omisore Threatens To Sue EFCC For Libel For Declaring Him Wanted / APGA Suspends Victor Ike Oye As National Chairman For Gross Misconduct / 2019: PDP Will Bring Back Nigeria’s Economic Fortunes – Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.