Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,449 members, 7,850,569 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 03:48 AM

Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic (3705 Views)

Will The Igbos Team Up With Yoruba In Time Of War / Father Kukah Must Be Allowed To Practise His Faith And Politics - Garba Shehu / Senator Douye Diri Shows His Love For Sports And Youth Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Guestlander: 1:32pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

I'm not talking about checks and balances, oppression or all of that the question is, is the Oba the supreme Commander of Yoruba army or not, whereas the Igbos don't maintain a standing army but when the need arises there shall be mobilisation, in this case every able bodied Igbo is a soldier then parents are in elders meeting, youth in age grade, the king in Igboland can't just declare war becuase he has no standing army, the whole thing has to work as a team.

You have to make announcement for all able bodied men and women to come out at which point the elders will have much say becuase we are talking about their children, the Yorubas on the other hands can have an army of slaves, the Igbos did not, on the long run both culture are beautiful, keeping a standing army in Igboland may not be written but it is almost illegal, in security young people take turns to secure the community and there is no official security.

This thread should be for us to learn each others culture and not some fight

What is wrong with the Oba being the supreme commander of the army? Is it different from what presidents and prime ministers do today?
You are basically laying bare the differences in the level of civilization between the old Yorubaland and Iboland.
Also, this is another one of your contradictions, in an individualistic society like you said, do you think no collective effort is needed to organize an army you can readily call up anytime there's a war?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 1:33pm On Aug 08, 2021
IgweOfNnewi:
Which inconsequential team is that? Ilana Yoruba are they not team working for the release of Igboho, you think it is when you hear a group shouting and chest beating before you know that it was a group behind obasanjo's visit to Benin republic, you think hyping and seeking vain glory is what is call a group
You are still making claims that are not consequential to the current argument, the question is why would the Yoruba team front an individual while the Igbo individuals front a team, do you know that Igbo governors and other stakeholders are the one fronting Ohaneze in this Kanu issue
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Omoluabi1stborn: 1:36pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

You should know that I'm Igbo who had not spent up to a month in Yorubaland and the things I know about Yoruba culture is through reading and the Yoruba friends I have got both in AlaIgbo and beyond, I'm trying to keep learning about your culture and the cultures of other Nigerian tribes, I'm sorry if I misrepresented your Oba system, this is much like learning from a distance though I keep learning

Actually in Yoruba culture

Oba can be removed by the kings
Its just like the Senates and President
Where the Senate have Senate President and the senates can remove the President

Same as Obas in Yoruba
They can be removed be the Chiefs and among the chiefs there is always a head.

Read about Oyo empire very well, you'll understand how it works.

Just as we have the military, we have the Chief of Army staff same as Yoruba culture we have the Balogun = Army Chief

Lastly, Yoruba works as a team.
Why?
Check the records where we launch attack
Check recently where we launch amotekun, western development commission, and some collective things.

Igbos can't have team work than Yorubas

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 1:38pm On Aug 08, 2021
Guestlander:

What is wrong with the Oba being the supreme commander of the army? Is it different from what presidents and prime ministers do today?
You are basically laying bare the differences in the level of civilization between the old Yorubaland and Iboland.
Also, this is another one of your contradictions, in an individualistic society like you said, do you think no collective effort is needed to organize an army you can readily call up anytime there's a war?
I said these two system are magnificent, I made mention of being good before being member of a team and that a team must help to make an individual exceptional, these two cases are however a branch of sophisticated culture.

I cited the command of the army in the sense that in Yorubaland, the king is the commander of the army but in Igboland, the people is the commander, because Yoruba king have an enlisted and ready army, he can go to war even if the people don't want but in Igboland if the people don't see the need of the war, they can tell their wards not to engage.

The two communities have evolved, like in our current government you know it is more like a blend of the Republican/democratic Igbo culture with the Monarchical/Democratic Yoruba culture.
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by IgweOfNnewi: 1:39pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

You are still making claims that are not consequential to the current argument, the question is why would the Yoruba team front an individual while the Igbo individuals front a team, do you know that Igbo governors and other stakeholders are the one fronting Ohaneze in this Kanu issue
Now I know you don't know what you are saying, which governors or stakeholders push ohanneze to the front, the same governors that ordered the killing of ESN?

3 Likes

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Nobody: 1:40pm On Aug 08, 2021
HisSexcellency:

I had to read this post multiple times to get what exactly you are driving at.

Though I understand the point you're trying to make, but can we just put a stop to all these unnecessary comparisons between tribes on this forum.

It's becoming difficult seeing any sane thread here devoid of tribal bickering and trolling.This is unhealthy, there are over 200 tribes in Nigeria, but for two tribes to turn a forum of almost 3million users to a dick measuring/ trolling platform to catch cruise isn't necessary.

No disrespect, but it’s only one tribe that starts these useless dick measuring threads. Don’t lump us Yorubas into their nonsense, call them out for being obsessed with us Yorubas and leave it at that.

4 Likes

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Guestlander: 1:41pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

I said these two system are magnificent, I made mention of being good before being member of a team and that a team must help to make an individual exceptional, these two cases are however a branch of sophisticated culture.

I cited the command of the army in the sense that in Yorubaland, the king is the commander of the army but in Igboland, the people is the commander, because Yoruba king have an enlisted and ready army, he can go to war even if the people don't want but in Igboland if the people don't see the need of the war, they can tell their wards not to engage.

The two communities have evolved, like in our current government you know it is more like a blend of the Republican/democratic Igbo culture with the Monarchical/Democratic Yoruba culture.

I will give you a pass because you admitted you are still learning. We all learn everyday, but try not to present your opinions as facts.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 1:43pm On Aug 08, 2021
IgweOfNnewi:
Now I know you don't know what you are saying, which governors or stakeholders push ohanneze to the front, the same governors that ordered the killing of ESN?
So becuase they ordered the killings of ESN means they wish to vacate their sit, do you know what will happen to the governor's lodge in AlaIgbo if Kanu is not treated carefully, their setting up a defense for Kanu is not becuase they care about him nor that they care about ESN or even the people it is becuase they mostly also care about themselves becuase Kanus followers can make AlaIgbo non inevitable for them If the situation is out of hand
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Nobody: 1:44pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

Oga you can use as much derogatory concept as you fancy, you get the point, Yorubas are inclined towards individual development while Igbos are inclined towards teamwork, you can call it clannish or collectivism it all in the English, it is all a mechanism for survival

No he is not using derogatory concepts. Your concept is wrong, your conclusion is wrong and the poster corrected you. Heed to correction and adjust your opinion by being open minded. What you are doing is spreading propaganda and we (Yorubas) won’t stand for it. Stop spreading lies about us.

6 Likes

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Buckeyemedia1: 1:46pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

So becuase they ordered the killings of ESN means they wish to vacate their sit, do you know what will happen to the governor's lodge in AlaIgbo if Kanu is not treated carefully, their setting up a defense for Kanu is not becuase they care about him nor that they care about ESN or even the people it is becuase they mostly also care about themselves becuase Kanus followers can make AlaIgbo non inevitable for them If the situation is out of hand
Noise Makers Empty Barrels, when they eventually nab them, they go into 100% denial, we do not support ipob we are unjustly victimized.

2 Likes

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Buckeyemedia1: 1:49pm On Aug 08, 2021
Guestlander:

I will give you a pass because you admitted you are still learning. We all learn everyday, but try not to present your opinions as facts.
Why do some myopic misfits from these 2 majority clans believe only 2 of them selfish tribes matter in Nigeria? Same shameless mumus shouting Biafra Oduduwa?
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 1:54pm On Aug 08, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

Actually in Yoruba culture

Oba can be removed by the kings
Its just like the Senates and President
Where the Senate have Senate President and the senates can remove the President

Same as Obas in Yoruba
They can be removed be the Chiefs and among the chiefs there is always a head.

Read about Oyo empire very well, you'll understand how it works.

Just as we have the military, we have the Chief of Army staff same as Yoruba culture we have the Balogun = Army Chief

Lastly, Yoruba works as a team.
Why?
Check the records where we launch attack
Check recently where we launch amotekun, western development commission, and some collective things.

Igbos can't have team work than Yorubas
Thanks a lot for the deeper knowledge as regards the Oba system.

I agree with you up to a point, I know that we had been all up with tribal supremacy battle for a while but you need to understand that teamwork is not the priority, individualism is also a virtue.

For instance a pianist doesn't have to work as a team, a pilot can not work as a team though he maintains constant communication with the ground base, if he flies as a team with co pilot he lacks attention to the ground base, there is situation demanding teamwork and there are situation demanding individualism.

Don't use the current south west as a Yardstick for measuring Yoruba worldview, in Nigeria we are all struggling to adapt, Amotekun is not a sign of teamwork it is a sign of synergy and survivalism and Amotekun is more of a body language than a pragmatic security.

Amotekun is a symbol of Yorubas Mordern readiness to protect their lands from invaders as a prelude to a war scenario of existential threats to Yorubas, only Ekiti state is enough to protect Yorubaland from terrorist attacks.

Amotekun is a prelude to something bigger as an Igbo I see that from affar and it has my maximum support but you need to understand the brain behind Amotekun is playing a fast game at a regional army than regional security.

We are observing then in the issue of individualism, why should a distinguished individual like Wole Shoinka be the grand commander of Amotekun.
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Omoluabi1stborn: 1:54pm On Aug 08, 2021
Buckeyemedia1:
Why do some myopic misfits from these 2 majority clans believe only 2 of them selfish tribes matter in Nigeria? Same shameless mumus shouting Biafra Oduduwa?

Because they're the two well to do tribes in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 1:57pm On Aug 08, 2021
kingawothefirst:

No he is not using derogatory concepts. Your concept is wrong, your conclusion is wrong and the poster corrected you. Heed to correction and adjust your opinion by being open minded. What you are doing is spreading propaganda and we (Yorubas) won’t stand for it. Stop spreading lies about us.
The funny thing is that most Igbos as well don't quite agree with me so, everybody can't be pleased, I had stated, a team needs quality individuals, while an exceptional individual is fashion by a team so these two things are not quite disparage afteral but some people already have a mental perception of themselves and would not accept contrary opinions and it is up to them
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 2:00pm On Aug 08, 2021
Guestlander:

But I never said anything is a fact I made a disclaimer that it is even my personal observation
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Omoluabi1stborn: 2:03pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

Thanks a lot for the deeper knowledge as regards the Oba system.

I agree with you up to a point, I know that we had been all up with tribal supremacy battle for a while but you need to understand that teamwork is not the priority, individualism is also a virtue.

For instance a pianist doesn't have to work as a team, a pilot can not work as a team though he maintains constant communication with the ground base, if he flies as a team with co pilot he lacks attention to the ground base, there is situation demanding teamwork and there are situation demanding individualism.

Don't use the current south west as a Yardstick for measuring Yoruba worldview, in Nigeria we are all struggling to adapt, Amotekun is not a sign of teamwork it is a sign of synergy and survivalism and Amotekun is more of a body language than a pragmatic security.

Amotekun is a symbol of Yorubas Mordern readiness to protect their lands from invaders as a prelude to a war scenario of existential threats to Yorubas, only Ekiti state is enough to protect Yorubaland from terrorist attacks.

Amotekun is a prelude to something bigger as an Igbo I see that from affar and it has my maximum support but you need to understand the brain behind Amotekun is playing a fast game at a regional army than regional security.

We are observing then in the issue of individualism, why should a distinguished individual like Wole Shoinka be the grand commander of Amotekun.

Alright you asked me not to use the current Yorubas as the yardstick.

1. From records there is no single counter attack on invaders by a single Yorubas
They always gather strength against enemy.

2. I won't say awolowo regime, lemme choose Obasanjo and Falae, why is it that majority voted for Falae?
Ain't both Yoruba?

3. Check businesses, Igbos are good as a one man business but Yorubas are always building business employing people to make the business progress.
That's why the famous quote that Yorubas are better administrator than igbos.

4. Why is it that Igbos weren't easily crushed by the British? Isn't because they don't have leader, they don't work as a team, instead everyone defended him/her self

5. If Igbos work as a team better than Yorubas they would have conquered more towns.
Unlike the Yorubas, Benins, Fulanis, Roman empire, etc.

NB: I didn't include the current situations

There is no way you'll have a team that you won't have a leader and head.
This Igbo's lack it (not an abuse)

6 Likes

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 2:19pm On Aug 08, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

Alright you asked me not to use the current Yorubas as the yardstick.

1. From records there is no single counter attack on invaders by a single Yorubas
They always gather strength against enemy.

2. I won't say awolowo regime, lemme choose Obasanjo and Falae, why is it that majority voted for Falae?
Ain't both Yoruba?

3. Check businesses, Igbos are good as a one man business but Yorubas are always building business employing people to make the business progress.
That's why the famous quote that Yorubas are better administrator than igbos.

4. Why is it that Igbos weren't easily crushed by the British? Isn't because they don't have leader, they don't work as a team, instead everyone defended him/her self

5. If Igbos work as a team better than Yorubas they would have conquered more towns.
Unlike the Yorubas, Benins, Fulanis, Roman empire, etc.

NB: I didn't include the current situations
Let me answer your question bit by bit, administration is a hierarchical approach which ends in individualism, I also wish you understand that teamwork and individualism is different side of the same coin, an exceptional Yoruba individual builds a company, he is the leader, he employs others down the ladder it climbs.

An Igbo starts a business four years down the line he picks up another Igbo, after 5 years the other Igbo builds his own shop just near his boss own, now the network begins to build, what you have to understand is that at one point in this Igbo model, both the new individual and the boss worked as a single unit, making one gain for the boss, the next stage is a cluster, now the boss had brought many Igbos into the business as opposed to employing them, this business cluster needs a leadership remember the leadership now calls for exceptional individualism then you get to Chairman Computer Village and Chairman Otedola group.

The chairman of Otedola group should be on the concept of exceptional individualism while the chairman of Computer village should be on the ability to carry everyone along (Teamwork) becuase in the Igbo certain the success itself is individualistic while in Yoruba success itself comes as a team pushing an individual to the top while in Igbo success means individuals pushing the team to the top.

On the issue of Obasanjo and Falae, what you must get is that Yorubas give a near balance vote not the Igbos that can give 95% vote the Yorubas can give 60/40 which is a near balance.

The Igbos wasn't easily crushed by the British becuase we dont have a standing army but everyone has obligations to fight, so we don't go to war unless there is an existential threat as such it has to be a collective effort and it most be fought as a team becuase the result could impact everyone.

Igbos couldn't have conquered towns becuase what y0u call Igbos today did not exist 200 years ago and there is no way Onitsha can conquer Benin nor Ikwerre conquer Ijaw nor Nsukka conquer Igala, nor Anioma conquer Itsekiri/Yorubas the Igbo back in the day were series of smaller but organised communities, the question you could have asked however is why didn't mighty Kingdoms of back in those days over run these smaller Igbo communities
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by HITMEUP4ANYBIZ(m): 2:26pm On Aug 08, 2021
Abeg try dey research before you post
AlexBells:
Disclaimer, I am Igbo but this observation is not about any tribal jab, it is just my observation and was not intended to put either great African tribe at a bad light nor preferential light it just goes to show how our society are structured.

2. Politics: The Yorubas thrive on personal development while the Igbos thrives on teamwork this have its downsides and upside becuase when in politics there are times when individual personality counts when at other times teamwork could be prioritised, that's why Yorubas produce politicians like Tinubu, Awolowo, Akintola while Igbos produce a network of weaker politicians with strength as a single voting block that's why the Igbos produced NCNC, APGA etc.

1 Like

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Omoluabi1stborn: 2:31pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

Let me answer your question bit by bit, administration is a hierarchical approach which ends in individualism, I also wish you understand that teamwork and individualism is different side of the same coin, an exceptional Yoruba individual builds a company, he is the leader, he employs others down the ladder it climbs.

An Igbo starts a business four years down the line he picks up another Igbo, after 5 years the other Igbo builds his own shop just near his boss own, now the network begins to build, what you have to understand is that at one point in this Igbo model, both the new individual and the boss worked as a single unit, making one gain for the boss, the next stage is a cluster, now the boss had brought many Igbos into the business as opposed to employing them, this business cluster needs a leadership remember the leadership now calls for exceptional individualism then you get to Chairman Computer Village and Chairman Otedola group.

The chairman of Otedola group should be on the concept of exceptional individualism while the chairman of Computer village should be on the ability to carry everyone along (Teamwork) becuase in the Igbo certain the success itself is individualistic while in Yoruba success itself comes as a team pushing an individual to the top while in Igbo success means individuals pushing the team to the top.

On the issue of Obasanjo and Falae, what you must get is that Yorubas give a near balance vote not the Igbos that can give 95% vote the Yorubas can give 60/40 which is a near balance.

The Igbos wasn't easily crushed by the British becuase we dont have a standing army but everyone has obligations to fight, so we don't go to war unless there is an existential threat as such it has to be a collective effort and it most be fought as a team becuase the result could impact everyone.

Igbos couldn't have conquered towns becuase what y0u call Igbos today did not exist 200 years ago and there is no way Onitsha can conquer Benin nor Ikwerre conquer Ijaw nor Nsukka conquer Igala, nor Anioma conquer Itsekiri/Yorubas the Igbo back in the day were series of smaller but organised communities, the question you could have asked however is why didn't mighty Kingdoms of back in those days over run these smaller Igbo communities

Lol, anyways let's leave that.
Do you know if Yorubas were to be in SS (currently)
They would have conquered some Igbo communities?
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 2:33pm On Aug 08, 2021
HITMEUP4ANYBIZ:
Abeg try dey research before you post
Herbert Macaulay was almost a nationalist, Zik too but after Maculay there was a move toward tribal politics whereby the East/Zik Dominated the NCNC also the west had their regional party while the North had theirs and remember then Zik was accused of being a nationalist and it was all the Igbo dominion saga, so the founding of NCNC is different from NCNC as a regional player.
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 2:43pm On Aug 08, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

Lol, anyways let's leave that.
Do you know if Yorubas were to be in SS (currently)
They would have conquered some Igbo communities?

Currently you can conquer Ikwerre, but that's just about it, 200 years ago, even the Fulanis or if Benin or Igala was adventurous enough they could have conquered Igboland but what could have happend is that they could have won the war but loose the battle becuase eventually their population will be swallowed and their identity could have been Igbo, it is just like When Japan conquered China but that's impossible today, maybe Japan can conquer Taiwan or Hongkong but not mainland China.

What you must get is that back in those days too, Yorubas also don't have a unit command becuase is it the Ifes, or Oyo empire that will lead the invasion of AlaIgbo, where will they start, before you get from Anioma to Nsukka it would already take years.

Then in the issue of a possible Yoruba and Igbo war today, I would say at best it would be a MAD (mutually assured destruction) scenario, a major deciding factor is the North, if we are fighting with Yorubas would the North suply us food if yes, Igbo wins, if no, Yoruba may win though today on a one on one conventional war Igbos have advantage as regards Geography.

We can load at Onitsha, Imo, Nsukka, PH and arrive at one of your coastal mainland in Ondo, Lagos etc but you cant reach Igbo land so easily we should be waiting for you at the river ends in Niger Delta and I don't think you will have Superiority on land nor air.
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Nobody: 2:49pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

Currently you can conquer Ikwerre, but that's just about it, 200 years ago, even the Fulanis or if Benin or Igala was adventurous enough they could have conquered Igboland but what could have happend is that they could have won the war but loose the battle becuase eventually their population will be swallowed and their identity could have been Igbo, it is just like When Japan conquered China but that's impossible today, maybe Japan can conquer Taiwan or Hongkong but not mainland China.

What you must get is that back in those days too, Yorubas also don't have a unit command becuase is it the Ifes, or Oyo empire that will lead the invasion of AlaIgbo, where will they start, before you get from Anioma to Nsukka it would already take years.

Then in the issue of a possible Yoruba and Igbo war today, I would say at best it would be a MAD (mutually assured destruction) scenario, a major deciding factor is the North, if we are fighting with Yorubas would the North suply us food if yes, Igbo wins, if no, Yoruba may win though today on a one on one conventional war Igbos have advantage as regards Geography.

We can load at Onitsha, Imo, Nsukka, PH and arrive at one of your coastal mainland in Ondo, Lagos etc but you cant reach Igbo land so easily we should be waiting for you at the river ends in Niger Delta and I don't think you will have Superiority on land nor air.

This picture speaks to the contrary. I’ll spare you the details but you can go read about it yourself.

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 2:52pm On Aug 08, 2021
kingawothefirst:

This picture speaks to the contrary. I’ll spare you the details but you can go read about it yourself.
That was Nigeria/Biafra war not Igbo vs Yoruba war they are quite different, Nigeria is a sovereign state with Established Military lol, In a Yoruba vs Igbo war The Sovereign effect will be neutral, you even forgot that Obasanjo and Kaduna Nzeogwu were best friends, an Igbo vs Yoruba war is not impossible but very unlikely.
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by BSsniffer: 2:53pm On Aug 08, 2021
The op is actually 95% right.....
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

That was Nigeria/Biafra war not Igbo vs Yoruba war they are quite different, Nigeria is a sovereign state with Established Military lol, In a Yoruba vs Igbo war The Sovereign effect will be neutral, you even forgot that Obasanjo and Kaduna Nzeogwu were best friends, an Igbo vs Yoruba war is not impossible but very unlikely.

Last I checked the man standing basking in his victory of igboland is a yoruba man. The mastermind that won the war did it with a pen, last I checked he too was a yoruba man. The naira you spend today was coined by a yoruba man. Let’s not do this, heed to correction and close this thread.

1 Like

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Obamaofusa: 3:00pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:
Disclaimer, I am Igbo but this observation is not about any tribal jab, it is just my observation and was not intended to put either great African tribe at a bad light nor preferential light it just goes to show how our society are structured.

1. I found out that Yorubas prioritise personal development to team development while Igbos prioritise teamwork to personal development, this I have been able to deduce is practically as a result of both tribes basic principles, while the Igbos are Republicans, the Yorubas on the other hand are a traditional Monarchy, this means that the personal development of the Obas as a capable leader of the Yorubas has psychological and sociological impact on the entire environment, most people are inspired maybe subconsciously from Childhood to look up to the Oba, to the queen and more and so personal development thrive but the Igbos on the other hand being Republicans most inspiration springs up from working as a collective body of varying importance this claim is further supported by the following events, Igbos thrives in sports like football, Basketball, while Yorubas thrives in sports like Kickboxing, wrestling etc, it does not however mean that there are no Yorubas or Igbos thriving on team sports or Personal sports.

2. Politics: The Yorubas thrive on personal development while the Igbos thrives on teamwork this have its downsides and upside becuase when in politics there are times when individual personality counts when at other times teamwork could be prioritised, that's why Yorubas produce politicians like Tinubu, Awolowo, Akintola while Igbos produce a network of weaker politicians with strength as a single voting block that's why the Igbos produced NCNC, APGA etc.

3. Movie and Music: It is an open secret that Igbos edge out a little in the area of movies while Yorubas edge out just another little in the area of music, you can bear Me witness that movie is about teamwork while music is more about personal development.

4. The business approach: The Igbos thrives in business as a network however Yorubas thrives in business on personal development, that's why it is possible to find more Yorubas on the richest men scale but the Igbos having more per capita rich people scale, this however could impact the future of riches though I don't know in whose favour it will all swing, because as we talk the Igbos are learning personal development while the Yorubas are upping their teamwork capacity.

The Future of Nigeria will only get interesting shall we get things right a Nigeria where the two great tribes and other tribes can inspire themselves to evolve better.

1. Go and read your history.Igbos are individualistic and this can be seen in their behaviour.They did not have a king in the olden days and will always attack the next clan just to show superiority.There was nothing like republican,Igbos did not just have a leader so they were very rowdy in those days.Yorubas have always been believers in teamwork.They had Empire,fought Kiriji war etc even in regionalism it was teamwork that made them develop than the rest of Nigerians..

2.It was teamwork that made Awolowo formidabe even in opposition.The same with Tinubu.Tinubu is nobody without his team.
You cannot find this is the Igbos because everybody is for himself.Look at Igboho and Kanu and watch the teamwork of the Yorubas from the Monarchs to the other Yoruba leaders to help him.Do you see that with the Igbos.They can only copy what Yorubas do.Yorubas have always been a step ahead in thinking solution.Nigeria has really inhibited the development of Yorubas.

3.You dont have a point here because Yorubas have the highest grossing movies.
Yorubas control music and this is an open secret.Entertainment in Nigeria is 65% in the hands of the Yorubas.

Who has ever told you that Igbos have per capita than Yorubas?
It is the other way round.I think it is on the net.
Yorubas as a whole have always been richer and more progressive than the Igbos.
What always deceives the Igbos is the control they have on the petty business in Lagos but forgeting that Yorubas control the markets in plank and plywood,sea food,used vehicles,petrol stations and petroleum products,cement etc.
Yorubas are evenly dispersed in all businesses and they are the best business people who have made their marks both in Nigeria and abroad.
World bank and other agencies have continually posited that Yoruba people are the richest in Nigeria.
Do you know that Yorubas are almost controlling the banking and real estate businesses in Ghana?It is only Yoruba business people that have gone to Europe with nothing but built multi billion dollar businesses.This is as a result of teamwork.
USA,China,UK,all have many billionaires showing a rich society,so also are the Yorubas who have more billionaires than the Igbos.Teamwork has always helped the Yorubas.

4 Likes

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by BSsniffer: 3:07pm On Aug 08, 2021
Op....is actually right and kinda non biased..... Yoruba's are very much individualistic looking at every metric, we strive more for personal development as against group development unlike the igbos and fulani's.... it's evident in our political regional environment. And it's one of our biggest flaws as a people. Because for everytime in history that Yoruba's came together for a certain goal we succeeded must of the time. I say that it's one thing Yoruba's need to learn from other groups especially the fulani's and igbos....I personally feel that the biafran war made the igbos more group oriented as oppossed to being individualistic.
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 3:10pm On Aug 08, 2021
kingawothefirst:

Last I checked the man standing basking in his victory of igboland is a yoruba man. The mastermind that won the war did it with a pen, last I checked he too was a yoruba man. The naira you spend today was coined by a yoruba man. Let’s not do this, heed to correction and close this thread.
You are not getting my point I noted that if the North will suply the Igbos food we will win the Yorubas, note that Obasanjo was fighting alongside Nigeria, today if the entire Nigeria is also fighting Oduduwa it is obvious how it will go, I'm talking on one on one battle between the Igbos and Yorubas no, North no, Nigeria lol, Obasanjo was s Nigeria soldiers, Yorubas was the greater concern if you want us to be sincere becuase Ogundipe wss suppose to take over but fir the fact that Yorubas didn't have enough army. Coining the Naira is not a big deal, as the Igbos also enshrined unitary system which we use till this day.
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 3:12pm On Aug 08, 2021
Obamaofusa:

1. Go and read your history.Igbos are individualistic and this can be seen in their behaviour.They did not have a king in the olden days and will always attack the next clan just to show superiority.There was nothing like republican,Igbos did not just have a leader so they were very rowdy in those days.Yorubas have always been believers in teamwork.They had Empire,fought Kiriji war etc even in regionalism it was teamwork that made them develop than the rest of Nigerians..

2.It was teamwork that made Awolowo formidabe even in opposition.The same with Tinubu.Tinubu is nobody without his team.
You cannot find this is the Igbos because everybody is for himself.Look at Igboho and Kanu and watch the teamwork of the Yorubas from the Monarchs to the other Yoruba leaders to help him.Do you see that with the Igbos.They can only copy what Yorubas do.Yorubas have always been a step ahead in thinking solution.Nigeria has really inhibited the development of Yorubas.

3.You dont have a point here because Yorubas have the highest grossing movies.
Yorubas control music and this is an open secret.Entertainment in Nigeria is 65% in the hands of the Yorubas.

Who has ever told you that Igbos have per capita than Yorubas?
It is the other way round.I think it is on the net.
Yorubas as a whole have always been richer and more progressive than the Igbos.
What always deceives the Igbos is the control they have on the petty business in Lagos.
Yorubas are evenly dispersed in all businesses and they are the best business people who have made their marks both in Nigeria and abroad.
World bank and other agencies have continually posited that Yoruba people are the richest in Nigeria.
Do you know that Yorubas are almost controlling the banking and real estate businesses in Ghana?It is only Yoruba business people that have gone to Europe with nothing but built multi billion dollar businesses.This is as a result of teamwork.
USA,China,UK,all have many billionaires showing a rich society,so also are the Yorubas who have more billionaires than the Igbos.Teamwork has always helped the Yorubas.
Clap for yourself, wow what a great achievement lol, this thread is not about d!ck measuring as you can see it was not about Igbo nor yoruba achievements and as such I will not engage you on such stunt maybe not now or not today though.
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Obamaofusa: 3:27pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

You are not getting my point I noted that if the North will suply the Igbos food we will win the Yorubas, note that Obasanjo was fighting alongside Nigeria, today if the entire Nigeria is also fighting Oduduwa it is obvious how it will go, I'm talking on one on one battle between the Igbos and Yorubas no, North no, Nigeria lol, Obasanjo was s Nigeria soldiers, Yorubas was the greater concern if you want us to be sincere becuase Ogundipe wss suppose to take over but fir the fact that Yorubas didn't have enough army. Coining the Naira is not a big deal, as the Igbos also enshrined unitary system which we use till this day.

How can Igbos that are known to be weak defeat Yorubas who have fought for 100 years without stop?
For your information,it was only a few Yoruba soldiers that defeated battalions of Biafran armies at Ore.This is when Yorubas joined the war.If Igbos and Yorubas go to war,it wont take up to a week that Yorubas will crush Igbos..

2 Likes

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 3:34pm On Aug 08, 2021
Obamaofusa:

How can Igbos that are known to be weak defeat Yorubas who have fought for 100 years without stop?
For your information,it was only a few Yoruba soldiers that defeated battalions of Biafran armies at Ore.This is when Yorubas joined the war.If Igbos and Yorubas go to war,it wont take up to a week that Yorubas will crush Igbos..
You defeated Biafran army not Igbo army, when did Nigerian army become synonymous with Yorubas lol, besides the 100 years or so fighting was yoruba fighting against other yorubaoid clans, even Benin was there, I didn't know when Yorubas defeated Benin and I don't think you defeated the Fulanis in the wars for Ilorin so which 100 years fighting are you talking about
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

I’m not going to play the game of hypotheticals with you on this. All I can do is go by what actually happened and the historical facts state that it won’t end well for you as seen by what Awolowo accomplished with the stroke of a pen.

Also when you have a team, you need a team captain. Can’t have a successful team without a team captain, so see our Obas as team captains and not individuals, they know who they represent and it’s the majority.

On the other hand 2 x 2 shops is as individualistic as it gets and that’s where Igbos excel at the best. The problem is you all want to be captains of your own ship, and there’s nothing wrong with that but that screams individualism to me.

So no I disagree with your generalisation that Igbos are more team oriented than Yorubas. History has shown that that’s not the case. Yoruba have been known to be more organised as a group than igbos, that’s the essence of teamwork!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

You May Never Know How Deep Nigeria Have Sunk Until You Read This / APC Candidates In Cross River Using Peter Obi Picture(photo) / Tinubu Should Have Stepped Down To Avoid This Humiliation Coming His Way

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.