Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,133 members, 7,856,529 topics. Date: Monday, 10 June 2024 at 09:40 PM

Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic (3709 Views)

Will The Igbos Team Up With Yoruba In Time Of War / Father Kukah Must Be Allowed To Practise His Faith And Politics - Garba Shehu / Senator Douye Diri Shows His Love For Sports And Youth Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 08, 2021
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Obamaofusa: 4:07pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

You defeated Biafran army not Igbo army, when did Nigerian army become synonymous with Yorubas lol, besides the 100 years or so fighting was yoruba fighting against other yorubaoid clans, even Benin was there, I didn't know when Yorubas defeated Benin and I don't think you defeated the Fulanis in the wars for Ilorin so which 100 years fighting are you talking about

I know you will put Ilorin...lol
Go and read history so you dont give me much trouble.

Fulanis are cowards that merely killed their host,Afonja to name Ilorin an emirate.
Just a little history for you....
Alaafin wanted to kill Afonja who was the Generallisimo of Yoruba army.
Afonja called some Yoruba muslim warriors from Oyo and a large Fulani cum Hausa warriors and they defeated the Oyo army.

Later the Fulanis trecherously killed Afonja and took over Ilorin as an emirate.They fought no war with Ilorin people.The fulanis were stilll holding onto Oyo,when the Ibadan warriors attacked them....Afonja who helped the coward Fulanis initially had been killed....and the Ibadans defeated them in what was called Jalumi war.

They were routed up into Ilorin but the Whites told the Ibadans to let the emir be.You can download the history of the Yorubas..

Go and read to know how strong the Fons from Dahomey were.....Yorubas defeated them 4 times because they kept coming because they have never been defeated before except when they met the Egbas...Yorubas...

Yorubas are warriors that have never been permanently defeated.It was the Yorubas...Adekunle,the Scorpion,Gbadamosi King,Akinrinade,Obasanjo etc that won the war for Nigeria.
The Ore defeat of battalions of Biafrans would have told you what the Yorubas are made of.

Yorubas fought both internally and externally and had one of the largest Empire that span Ewe in Ghana up to Dahomey in the Republic of Benin.

3 Likes

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 4:13pm On Aug 08, 2021
kingawothefirst:

I’m not going to play the game of hypotheticals with you on this. All I can do is go by what actually happened and the historical facts state that it won’t end well for you as seen by what Awolowo accomplished with the stroke of a pen.

Also when you have a team, you need a team captain. Can’t have a successful team without a team captain, so see our Obas as team captains and not individuals, they know who they represent and it’s the majority.

On the other hand 2 x 2 shops is as individualistic as it gets and that’s where Igbos excel at the best. The problem is you all want to be captains of your own ship, and there’s nothing wrong with that but that screams individualism to me.

So no I disagree with your generalisation that Igbos are more team oriented than Yorubas. History has shown that that’s not the case. Yoruba have been known to be more organised as a group than igbos, that’s the essence of teamwork!
I made an assertion that teamwork and individualism is two side of the same coin but Igbos in the very core don't support the idea of having a captain, what is attainable here is equality, then the whole body will come to a team conclusion as a body of decision making body, even the captain here is about individualism, why would one person lead when we can all lead then you arrive at a team of 2×2 shop owners, in their decision making each shop owner has a stake as such no individualism but organisation and team decisions. One shop owner can not speak for every shop owner whereas one CEO can decide for the whole organisation lol, what you will arrive at as the individualism of the Igbos has an end result of team work while the team of Yorubas ends in individualism.

You are making sentimental arguments no one is talking about Superiority, let me use the analysis you would love, America is a federation while UK is parliamentary confederation, you will realise that governance in UK is about teamwork while that of America is about individualism so these whole events have pros and cons.

Not all teams needs a captain and a true team can only have a figurehead because it individual component plays vital role
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Nobody: 4:17pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

I made an assertion that teamwork and individualism is two side of the same coin but Igbos in the very core don't support the idea of having a captain, what is attainable here is equality, then the whole body will come to a team conclusion as a body of decision making body, even the captain here is about individualism, why would one person lead when we can all lead then you arrive at a team of 2×2 shop owners, in their decision making each shop owner has a stake as such no individualism but organisation and team decisions. One shop owner can not speak for every shop owner whereas one CEO can decide for the whole organisation lol, what you will arrive at as the individualism of the Igbos has an end result of team work while the team of Yorubas ends in individualism.

You are making sentimental arguments no one is talking about Superiority, let me use the analysis you would love, America is a federation while UK is parliamentary confederation, you will realise that governance in UK is about teamwork while that of America is about individualism so these whole events have pros and cons.

Not all teams needs a captain and a true team can only have a figurehead because it individual component plays vital role

If you can’t have a captain, then you are not working as a team. Period.

5 Likes

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 4:18pm On Aug 08, 2021
Obamaofusa:

I know you will put Ilorin...lol
Go and read history so you dont give me much trouble.

Fulanis are cowards that merely killed their host,Afonja to name Ilorin an emirate.
Just a little history for you....
Alaafin wanted to kill Afonja who was the Generallisimo of Yoruba army.
Afonja called some Yoruba muslim warriors from Oyo and a large Fulani cum Hausa warriors and they defeated the Oyo army.

Later the Fulanis trecherously killed Afonja and took over Ilorin as an emirate.They fought no war with Ilorin people.The fulanis were stilll holding onto Oyo,when the Ibadan warriors attacked them....Afonja who helped the coward Fulanis initially had been killed....and the Ibadans defeated them in what was called Jalumi war.

They were routed up into Ilorin but the Whites told the Ibadans to let the emir be.You can download the history of the Yorubas..

Go and read to know how strong the Fons from Dahomey were.....Yorubas defeated them 4 times because they kept coming because they have never been defeated before except when they met the Egbas...Yorubas...

Yorubas are warriors that have never been permanently defeated.It was the Yorubas...Adekunle,the Scorpion,Gbadamosi King,Akinrinade,Obasanjo etc that won the war for Nigeria.
The Ore defeat of battalions of Biafrans would have told you what the Yorubas are made of.

Yorubas fought both internally and externally and had one of the largest Empire that span Ewe in Ghana up to Dahomey in the Republic of Benin.
The whole epistle is not needed, I just want you to give one credible event of any Yoruba empire waging war against enemy apart from fellow yoruba clan that may deduce the potential of winning AlaIgbo in a current war, I don't need the story of Afonja, I asked Did you win the Fulanis, or Benin Kingdom just something of your warring pros outside Oduduwa land
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 4:19pm On Aug 08, 2021
kingawothefirst:

If you can’t have a captain, then you are not working as a team. Period.
It a lie you can work as a team without having a captain, decision can be by voting that's the true essence of a republican society
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Nobody: 4:20pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

It a lie you can work as a team without having a captain, decision can be by voting that's the true essence of a republican society

If you can’t agree on a simple thing such as a captain, that team is dead on arrival. That team has already failed.

4 Likes

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 4:24pm On Aug 08, 2021
kingawothefirst:

If you can’t agree on a simple thing such as a captain, that team is dead on arrival. That team has already failed.
Yes, I guess now you can see the truth, that Yorubas prides individualism and it is manifesting in you now lol, how come you don't even realise it.

As a child growing up in Igbo community we had masquerade groups, money contributions, most we didn't necessarily have conventional leadership, sometimes some of us may say the want to play football some will say we should go hunting, we do a head count or tose a coin, whichever side that gets it fall we shall do their bidding, who told you a system can not work without the kind of captain ship attainable in other places people are just different.
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Nobody: 4:27pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

Yes, I guess now you can see the truth, that Yorubas prides individualism and it is manifesting in you now lol, how come you don't even realise it.

As a child growing up in Igbo community we had masquerade groups, money contributions, most we didn't necessarily have conventional leadership, sometimes some of us may say the want to play football some will say we should go hunting, we do a head count or tose a coin, whichever side that gets it fall we shall do their bidding, who told you a system can not work without the kind of captain ship attainable in other places people are just different.

Bruh, if you can’t agree (vote for) on a simple concept such as a team captain, you will vote for everything and never agree on nothing. That is as individualistic as it gets. No wonder you people never agree on anything and very unorganised.

2 Likes

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 4:32pm On Aug 08, 2021
kingawothefirst:

Bruh, if you can’t agree (vote for) on a simple concept such as a team captain, you will vote for everything and never agree on nothing. That is as individualistic as it gets. No wonder you people never agree on anything and very unorganised.
I will still not stoop to your level of insulting a people just becuase of the way they chose to organise their community, in most part of Igboland, if there is an event the town cryer will announce it, they could meet in the house of the eldest man which is not about any election or the market square and they debate on it, majority Carrie's the vote or the more logical and acceptable approach is adopted, a single person can not just decide for everyone we believe two good head is better than one
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Nobody: 4:38pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

I will still not stoop to your level of insulting a people just becuase of the way they chose to organise their community, in most part of Igboland, if there is an event the town cryer will announce it, they could meet in the house of the eldest man which is not about any election or the market square and they debate on it, majority Carrie's the vote or the more logical and acceptable approach is adopted, a single person can not just decide for everyone we believe two good head is better than one

I did not insult you, I simply stooped to your level.

Your generalisation too can be perceived as an insult. 2 can play that game.

If you vote for everything, you lose the ability to make decisions on the fly if a situation calls for it. So your team is already on the losing end because you have to argue and vote for everything, which delays decision making. That, my friend is individualism, and not team work. Hence, your team is weak without a captain and is already a losing set of individuals (can’t call it a team) due to lack of organisation.

2 Likes

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 4:46pm On Aug 08, 2021
kingawothefirst:

I did it insult you, I simply stooped to your level.

Your generalisation too can be perceived as an insult. 2 can play that game.

If you vote for everything, you lose the ability to make decisions on the fly if a situation calls for it. So your team is already on the losing end because you have to argue and vote for everything, which delays decision making. That, my friend is individualism, and not team work. Hence, your team is weak without a captain and is already a losing set of individuals (can’t call it a team) due to lack of organisation.
I never said that our processes are not slow, but it do save lot of time when properly used, you can't just make a such decision in traditional Igboland, everyone lives close by, if there is emergency, you send to some nearby elder, a snake seen by one person will look like a boa/python, you just don't do it, overriding others could be seen as a taboo on it's own, the community works as a team or decision is made as a team, the king for the parts that has kings don't just make community decisions on his own I don't think there is much exception that's just how we are,
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

I never said that our processes are not slow, but it do save lot of time when properly used, you can't just make a such decision in traditional Igboland, everyone lives close by, if there is emergency, you send to some nearby elder, a snake seen by one person will look like a boa/python, you just don't do it, overriding others could be seen as a taboo on it's own, the community works as a team or decision is made as a team, the king for the parts that has kings don't just make community decisions on his own I don't think there is much exception that's just how we are,

A team that can’t agree on a team captain is a weak team at best. I’ll go as far as not to call them a team but just a set of INDIVIDUALS who will argue incessantly without accomplishing anything.

I’m done with this back n forth tho, so let’s agree to disagree. But stop generalising us and by us I mean the Yorubas.
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 5:01pm On Aug 08, 2021
kingawothefirst:

A team that can’t agree on a team captain is a weak team at best. I’ll go as far as not to call them a team but just a set of INDIVIDUALS who will argue incessantly without accomplishing anything.

I’m done with this back n forth tho, so let’s agree to disagree. But stop generalising us and by us I mean the Yorubas.
It is up to you I had stated my observation take what works for you at the end people are who they are
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Obamaofusa: 5:07pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

The whole epistle is not needed, I just want you to give one credible event of any Yoruba empire waging war against enemy apart from fellow yoruba clan that may deduce the potential of winning AlaIgbo in a current war, I don't need the story of Afonja, I asked Did you win the Fulanis, or Benin Kingdom just something of your warring pros outside Oduduwa land

Yoruba defeated Nupes.
Yorubas defeated Ashantis.
Yoruba defeated Fulanis.
Yoruba defeated the dreaded Fons from Dahomey.

1 Like

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

It is up to you I had stated my observation take what works for you at the end people are who they are

Your observation is wrong. You have received new insights in this discussion. Adjust your outlook and you’ll be better as an individual and a teammate for it.

1 Like

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Nobody: 5:13pm On Aug 08, 2021
Obamaofusa:

Yoruba defeated Nupes.
Yoruba defeated Fulanis.
Yoruba defeated the dreaded Fons from Dahomey.

Yoruba defeated the Ashantis

1 Like

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Nobody: 5:17pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

The president of America does not operate as an individual so no I do not love your analogy. Also a CEO can be voted out by the board of directors, the key word here is VOTE. He never operates as an individual. I’m not fond of your analogies, they are weak.
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Obamaofusa: 5:46pm On Aug 08, 2021
kingawothefirst:

Yoruba defeated the Ashantis

When?Yorubas had a teamwork with Ashanti but I have not read that they went to war..
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Sufferingboy(f): 5:50pm On Aug 08, 2021
Look if a yoruba Oba too misbehave,the Ogboni people fit remove am and bannish am.

Igbos are more individualistic,everyone of them want to have a say.

Op the reverse is the case of your thread........

Perhaps,stop all this ethnic wars.Happy sunday.
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 7:56pm On Aug 08, 2021
kingawothefirst:

Your observation is wrong. You have received new insights in this discussion. Adjust your outlook and you’ll be better as an individual and a teammate for it.
I will like to assert but stereotype is the issue here, when I talk about individualism, it is quite different from selfishness, be that as it may Yorubas will always be Yorubas while Igbos will always be Igbo, Nothing changes the fact that Yorubas are traditional monarchy while Igbos are traditional Republics, while the monarch can set up a team, it all revolves about helping him make better decisions and the team itself are a subject where the king's desire can override.

Individualism is an aspect of a team, like I said there are different stages of society, some starts off as individualistic while tilting towards a team the bigger picture like in football you become good as an individual and then you learn to work together as a team now tell me why are Igbos more represented than Yorubas in team sports where football for instance we have more Igbo while in boxing we have more Yorubas like AJ, the day you learn who you are, you may be surprised that we are not all exactly as we wish to be
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 7:58pm On Aug 08, 2021
kingawothefirst:

The president of America does not operate as an individual so no I do not love your analogy. Also a CEO can be voted out by the board of directors, the key word here is VOTE. He never operates as an individual. I’m not fond of your analogies, they are weak.
The president of America operates an individual that's why there is executive order and he also walks about with the nuclear button, checks and balances does not take away individualism, depending on the situation the president of America can order a strike anyway any time.

Does he need vote to command the military your argument is so sentimental
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Nobody: 11:48pm On Aug 08, 2021
Obamaofusa:

When?Yorubas had a teamwork with Ashanti but I have not read that they went to war..

Now you know this information, do a quick google search and you will find out when and learn about the details. Here is a link to guide you in your research.
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Atakpamé

1 Like

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Nobody: 11:57pm On Aug 08, 2021
AlexBells:

The president of America operates an individual that's why there is executive order and he also walks about with the nuclear button, checks and balances does not take away individualism, depending on the situation the president of America can order a strike anyway any time.

Does he need vote to command the military your argument is so sentimental

Shake my head, just because he doesn’t need to vote to command the military doesn’t mean he doesn’t consult with them and his aides first before making decisions. I’m not sure you understand the concept of teamwork.
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by theFilmtric: 12:14am On Aug 09, 2021
AlexBells:

Dahomey
Fulani
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Guestlander: 12:38am On Aug 09, 2021
AlexBells:

now tell me why are Igbos more represented than Yorubas in team sports where football for instance we have more Igbo while in boxing we have more Yorubas like AJ, the day you learn who you are, you may be surprised that we are not all exactly as we wish to be

You keep repeating this dull line of argument. Where is the evidence that Ibos are better than Yorubas in team sports, or any sport at all?
John and Justin Fashanu, Odegbami, Ogedengbe, Rashid Yekini. In NBA basketball, Hakeem Olajuwon ,an NBA hall of famer, all Yorubas and there are more.
If your hypothesis are correct all these people should be Ibos.

2 Likes

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 12:49am On Aug 09, 2021
Guestlander:

You keep repeating this dull line of argument. Where is the evidence that Ibos are better than Yorubas in team sports, or any sport at all?
John and Justin Fashanu, Odegbami, Ogedengbe, Rashid Yekini. In NBA basketball, Hakeem Olajuwon ,an NBA hall of famer, all Yorubas and there are more.
If your hypothesis are correct all these people should be Ibos.
Can you be sincere enough to believe that the top 4 Nigerian footballers of all times are 1. Kanu Nwankwo 2. Jajay Okocha 3. Rashid Yakini 4. Mikel Obi at this juncture you should see that out of four 3 are Igbos, does it show you anything, forget the NBA for a moment that's a no go area please let's not go there, then talk about Nollywood, like you fail to note that there is always a balance and no people ever existed without teamwork nor have total non individualism so what does that tell you, talking about dominant trait here.
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 12:54am On Aug 09, 2021
kingawothefirst:

Shake my head, just because he doesn’t need to vote to command the military doesn’t mean he doesn’t consult with them and his aides first before making decisions. I’m not sure you understand the concept of teamwork.
Why are you shifting the goal post lol, consult his aid, can such aid veto it or make suggestions which is the sole choice of the president to reject or take and by the way, was the aids elected, is the aids not a disposable aspect of the presidency.

The president is the grand Commander, the Military is not a parliament, you either take orders or not, there is no vote when it is already an executive order, or you have issue with understanding the word order.
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by AlexBells(m): 12:58am On Aug 09, 2021
theFilmtric:
Dahomey
Fulani
Is Dahomi not almost another Yoruba clan or is there something I'm not getting and which particular Fulani, please and when did this happen, if you defeated Fulanis how come there is still a Fulani Emir in Ilorin
Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Guestlander: 1:03am On Aug 09, 2021
AlexBells:

Can you be sincere enough to believe that the top 4 Nigerian footballers of all times are 1. Kanu Nwankwo 2. Jajay Okocha 3. Rashid Yakini 4. Mikel Obi at this juncture you should see that out of four 3 are Igbos, does it show you anything, forget the NBA for a moment that's a no go area please let's not go there, then talk about Nollywood, like you fail to note that there is always a balance and no people ever existed without teamwork nor have total non individualism so what does that tell you, talking about dominant trait here.

Do you even know anything about the previous footballers that I mentioned? The world did not start on the day you were born my friend. And Yorubas are still playing in the big leagues even now contrary to your warped hypothesis.

1 Like

Re: Sports And Politics Proves Igbos Team Inspired While Yorubas Are Individualistic by Nobody: 1:04am On Aug 09, 2021
AlexBells:

Why are you shifting the goal post lol, consult his aid, can such aid veto it or make suggestions which is the sole choice of the president to reject or take and by the way, was the aids elected, is the aids not a disposable aspect of the presidency.

The president is the grand Commander, the Military is not a parliament, you either take orders or not, there is no vote when it is already an executive order, or you have issue with understanding the word order.

I’m not shifting the goal post. Accept that you were wrong, make necessary adjustments, and move on. Stop doubling down on your propaganda. Stop spreading lies.

Just because someone is the grand commander does not mean he/she is not working as a team. A president can’t just do whatever he/she wants, he needs the backing of his Congress and Cabinet. A president that goes rogue gets impeached. That my friend is TEAMWORK.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

'Please Don't Abandon Yorubas In APC' - Tinubu Begs Northerners / Identity Theft: Another Picture Of Donald Duke As A Boy Surfaces / How Igbos Voted For MKO Abiola In 1993 Presidential Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.