Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,089 members, 7,825,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Kano State Owes N110 Billion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kano State Owes N110 Billion (4231 Views)

Girl Without Limbs Receives Help From Kano State Government. Photos / Unpaid Workers' Salaries Estimated At N110 Billion In 12 States / Kogi State Owes Teachers 23 Billion Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kano State Owes N110 Billion by ektbear: 5:09am On May 27, 2011
By Edwin Olofu
May 27, 2011 02:19AM

The incoming governor of Kano State, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, is inheriting a debt portfolio of about N110 billion.

This was disclosed by the transition committee constituted by Mr Kwankwaso to look into the books of the outgoing government of Ibrahim Shekarau.

Addressing journalists in Kano on Wednesday, the spokesperson of the governor-elect, Jaafar Jaafar, said, based on the documents tendered before the transition committee by the state's accountant general, the outgoing administration incurred liabilities to the tune of N77,418,638,297.02, in addition to a foreign loan of $209,635,334.

The state government, according to the committee, spent about N420 billion within eight years without leaving anything on the ground to justify the expenditure.

"It gives us concern that despite the N420 billion they squandered, the incoming government will inherit N77 billion liabilities," he said.

The spokesperson also noted that there was sharp disparity between the statutory allocation figures tendered before the committee and the one obtained from the Federal Ministry of Finance.

Mr Jaafar further revealed that the offices of the head of service and the state accountant general gave conflicting figures of Kano workers' salary bills.

"While certain office puts the figure of the workers at 40,000, the other office puts it at 42,000. This is an indication that something is wrong somewhere," he said.

Nothing to show

The spokesperson noted that despite the fact that the foreign loan was said to be used on healthcare delivery, education, and an independent power plant, among other things, the state was still lagging behind in these areas.

He expressed displeasure over the enormous liabilities and foreign loans the outgoing administration of Mr Shekarau would bequeath to the incoming government

"When Kwankwaso left office in 2003, he left over N4.3 billion in the state coffers, with which Governor Shekarau awarded the infamous fertiliser contract. Kwankwaso left this amount despite the fact that he received only N76 billion in four years," he said.

When contacted, the state commissioner for information, youth and home affairs, Haruna Isa Dederi, said he had handed over to the permanent secretary in the ministry and would not speak on any issue.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5705247-146/story.csp
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by Odunnu: 5:15am On May 27, 2011
Which one be squander? They should invite that toothless EFCC and make that Shekarau man give account of all the income and spendings.
Enough of all these 'huge debt inheritance'
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by Mynd44: 6:14am On May 27, 2011
Bla bla bla they would call the EFCC and make noise for the next six months and then everywhere will be quite again
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by ektbear: 8:48am On May 27, 2011
I hope this is an exaggeration. That is nearly as much debt as Lagos has. And Kano's economy is not comparable.
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by seanet02: 10:56am On May 27, 2011
Even with less Responsibilities, The very day he started blowing hot grammar i knew something is wrong somewhere
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by jmaine: 12:19pm On May 27, 2011
seanet02:

Even with less Responsibilities, The very day he started blowing hot grammar i knew something is wrong somewhere

grin grin
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by otokx(m): 2:45pm On May 31, 2011
Lets just round it up to $1 billion and nothing to show for it they say.
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:00pm On May 31, 2011
Speaks volumes of the class of citizens in Kano, Dejected, Poverty-Stricken, Brain-washed and severely lacking in number of intellectuals working in the State Government. If they sat back and watched while the State's resources were embezzled mis-managed to the point of financial debt.

Evil can only get stronger if Good (Clueless) Men continue to Sit on the fence
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by akinwole21: 3:07pm On May 31, 2011
He don take dem money do presidential campaign. what a thief!
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by hbabe(f): 3:09pm On May 31, 2011
Wow!
Makes me wonder what he would have done with the national treasury if he had been elected as president. angry
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by zmurda(m): 3:11pm On May 31, 2011
He did sharia to the money. What a crook.
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by OAM4J: 3:26pm On May 31, 2011
Unfortunately am not optimistic that anything will come out of this.
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by DaDoctor: 3:27pm On May 31, 2011
The same man some sycophants were busy rallying support for on nairaland anfd facebook.

He would have plunged us deeper into the muddy waters

NO WONDER HE LOST TO A FORMER GOVE OF PDP BEARING

the people are fed up with him,

I didnt see his impact in kano while i was still there
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by Nobody: 3:28pm On May 31, 2011
Now lets look at this from 2 angles
shekarau and the accusers
rem back in the day when robbers will raid a bank and steal 10 million but bank manager will say they stole 35million
they are all thieves,I am certain shekarau or whatever stole money and the incoming will steal money and what better way than to say shekarau stole part of what they stole
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by FOREXMART(m): 3:45pm On May 31, 2011
I left kano 4 ph 2004 and got back july 2010. Believe me when I tell you dat that man is the worst governor kano has ever seen cos I grew up there. Even the military administrators did better.

That man capitalized on the mediocrity of the un-educated hausa populace to rule thats state. U complaining about how much he has stolen. Please wait till u see the football stadium he built in kano as his residence, or should I call it an airport?

That that just one of hes properties. That man Shekarau is a criminal and a bloody civilian.
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by Fhemmmy: 3:47pm On May 31, 2011
This just proves what i have said too many times.

This is a state that was governed by same guy that ran for the presidency of the nation and yet no one knew his state was owing that much money and yet nothing to show for it?
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by queensmith: 3:50pm On May 31, 2011
God knows if I was taking over they will never see thier money again! I've said it soo many times these banks and soo called foreign investors should be extremely careful when handing money over to these crooks!

They shouldnt pay a penny back unless the investors show exactly what they were investing on, at least this will cut down the amount of meaningless debt we have in that country!
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by baslone: 4:00pm On May 31, 2011
akinwole21:

He don take dem money do presidential campaign. what a thief!

97percent of the governors are guilty, serving and past. Ask GEJ-he has been there done that!!!
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by spikedcylinder: 4:22pm On May 31, 2011
How these people still have the nerve to declare that they want to run for presidency baffles the bejezux outta me!
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by GudLion(m): 4:25pm On May 31, 2011
Looting, criminality, sycophancy, corruption, bomb blasting, kidnapping, assassination etc etc has been institutionalized in Nigeria. These men hide under immunity to commit all forms of evil and when they are out of office they are not prosecuted. Why then do you expect it to end? Nigeria I hail thee
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by Fhemmmy: 4:27pm On May 31, 2011
I really weep for that Nation called Nigeria
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by dustydee: 4:59pm On May 31, 2011
Hmmn! so what will they do about it? My guess: NOTHING
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by ayo2pec(m): 5:07pm On May 31, 2011
This country , this Nigeria, who is who, , we shed tiers daily but may God dry our tiers.

Give us leaders after his own heart
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by eros(m): 5:18pm On May 31, 2011
To think that this same Shekarau ran for the office of the President

And has the incoming Governor, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso forgotten at the Kano government house come back to get, since he left there in 2003

Well, when my time comes, i will also get a piece of the action.
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by gbolozy: 5:23pm On May 31, 2011
dis na d begining of YAWA GASS, i knew it, all dat FAIL presidential capaign, breeze dey blow oooo, no way to cover fowl yansh, hehehe, huhuhuhu, grin grin grin grin grin, efcc make some noise,,, i beg, just put up an act, anyhow, just try,,,,atall atalll na winch o.
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by rasputinn(m): 5:50pm On May 31, 2011
shocked shocked shocked shocked

Ah ah Shekarau,even the money you used on your ill-advised presidential venture wasn't up to a quarter of that sum so where did you stash the loot?
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by newdeal(m): 6:24pm On May 31, 2011
Debts in Kano, Ogun, Lagos, etc the list goes on and on!

The very, very, very sad thing is not even the debt left in themselves but the fact that it is only when the leader leaves office that one begin to get all these things. While they are in office, all we hear are tales of wonders they are performing.

Until the process of governance becomes transparent and the FOI Bill is passed and is rigorously implemented across board, incidences like the above will never cease from our polity.

I wonder how much debt will be left by my state Governor when he eventually leaves, he just won a second term in office
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by vaLasce(m): 6:28pm On May 31, 2011
na2day?
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by Dsense(m): 7:33pm On May 31, 2011
Malams don spend the money eat Tuwooo undecided
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by Nobody: 7:39pm On May 31, 2011
ekt_bear:

By Edwin Olofu
May 27, 2011 02:19AM

The incoming governor of Kano State, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, is inheriting a debt portfolio of about N110 billion.

Too bad
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by Sunofgod(m): 7:45pm On May 31, 2011
Bankole can repay this with one cheque from one of his accounts cheesy cheesy cheesy

We Nigerians continue to underestimate the damage our politicians do to us all.

The 'Oil' needs to hurry up and run out - Then we will see!!!!

(. . . .and hopefully start behaving)
Re: Kano State Owes N110 Billion by ypad: 8:16pm On May 31, 2011
This 'll serve the kano people right, when Kwankwanso was in power he was busy constructing roads at least he constructed Burman and Igbo road in sabo gari but the Hausa where not happy. they wanted sharia party ANPP to rule. the money was spent on them. every Friday he (shakaru) gives the people one thousand Naira each, every time you 'll see people line up waiting for bashi. this was how the money was spent.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obasanjo, Bode George, Agagu Join ACN? / Congratulations Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola. / What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.