Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,964 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! (8638 Views)

Volvo V70 / His Honda Cross Tour Was Snatched In Abuja - Please Help / Siena's Project B6 Audi A4 Quattro - First Pictures. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Fhemmmy: 6:25pm On May 30, 2011
Waoh . . . even your detailed explanation of what to be done is music to the ears, and i am sure the ride is even happy to be in you hands, good job, Pal
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 6:29pm On May 30, 2011
^^^ Thanks buddy. Believe me, it looked worse in the metal. The pictures made it look a lot nicer pre-wash.

I shall be doing the mechanicals soon.

1) Timing belt.
2) Brakes.
3) Aircon service.
4) Suspension.
5) General health check.

1 Like

Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by tampa1871: 8:52pm On May 30, 2011
Sienna, quite impressed with you and your expertise. I'm located in US and how I wish you are here in Florida with me. I'm planning an Auto-Garage in Nigeria and will write u with any question. Thanks, keep up the excellent work.
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by tampa1871: 8:52pm On May 30, 2011
Sienna, quite impressed with you and your expertise. I'm located in US and how I wish you are here in Florida with me. I'm planning an Auto-Garage in Nigeria and will write u with any question. Thanks, keep up the excellent work.
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 9:02pm On May 30, 2011
That's great, Tampa. I've also been looking into the logistics of a fully equipped Vehicle Repair and Service Centre in Nigeria, also catering for the aftermarket performance sector.

Feel free to ask any questions, I'll do my best to answer.

1 Like

Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by infolpf: 11:42pm On May 30, 2011
Ok, am I the only one who has noticed the empty box of "sensations" on the floor in the picture of the front passenger seat?
Siena, did mention a large canine, right? Surely not the lady owner with the large canine?? Naughty, naughty lady!!

But I digress - great work, Sienna. Always a pleasure to read your restoration posts. Recently, in resuscitating a 2002 S60 (alas, I do not possess enough knowledge to DIY), the volvo service tech strongly advised me against a tranny flush, citing potential damage. Any thoughts as to why?
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Fhemmmy: 6:28pm On Jun 10, 2011
Any update on this beauty?
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by oblo(m): 7:32pm On Jun 10, 2011
yes oo, me sef wanna know!
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by octar6: 9:47pm On Jun 10, 2011
hmmmmmnn,I am simply impressed by siena's current project.
Keep up the good works man,your indeed a great guy. grin
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Osama10(m): 10:17pm On Jun 10, 2011
Nice one. cool
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 10:27am On Jun 13, 2011
Hi Siena, sorry to hack into your thread. Pls. what is the hydraulic control circuit with respect to the automatic transmission?
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Trac: 8:32pm On Jun 14, 2011
Siena,

This grabbed my attention. Though a bit disappointed, though (don't mind me) - I thought you were going to tailor your own suspension. Honestly, that's why I scrolled to the very bottom.

OEM parts are expensive and there use to be a site where I would order Volvo parts a few years ago. The parts were genuine with the Volvo logos on them and would arrive the day after the following day. I cannot remember the name but I do recollect another which is FCPgroten (may not be spelt right). For the one I cannot recollect, it is swedish, something. Hei, you are in Europe, so things may be very much different.

Are there interior rattles?
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Trac: 8:53pm On Jun 14, 2011
Costee:

Hi Siena, sorry to hack into your thread. Pls. what is the hydraulic control circuit with respect to the automatic transmission?
It is responsible for the shifting. When it starts to go bad, you have incorrect shifts as the RPM demands within specified condition (WOT or standard throttle application) then a code is thrown.
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jun 14, 2011
Trac:

It is responsible for the shifting. When it starts to go bad, you have incorrect shifts as the RPM demands within specified condition (WOT or standard throttle application) then a code is thrown.
Many thanks. Where is it located? In the Valve body or in the transmission itself?
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jun 14, 2011
curious to see the result , wink
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jun 14, 2011
Sorry guys, have been pretty busy with work.

The V70 went through her MOT, and passed with just two adviseries.

1) Lambda probe upstream of catalyst slow switching.
2) Both front tyres tread down to 2,0mm (legal limit is 1,6mm).

I have ordered a new Lambda Sond, and will have both front tyres replaced. She's also now road legal, with 6 months road tax.

I have a replacement petrol filler flap, the original was missing. I will paint and fit it, once I've repaired the crease to the rear quarter panel, around the wheel arch area, rear quarter will be painted too.
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jun 14, 2011
Costee:

Many thanks. Where is it located? In the Valve body or in the transmission itself?

The hydraulic governor is located within the valve chest. What car are you referring to though, and have your shifts become erratic?
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jun 14, 2011
Trac, not really worth building a bespoke suspension set-up for this car. If it wasn't given to me gratis, I wouldn't get one, not really a Volvo fan. Especially this generation. Styling a Volvo's like putting make-up on a pig. wink

No interior rattles, feels really tight.
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Fhemmmy: 11:14pm On Jun 14, 2011
Keep up the great work
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jun 14, 2011
Siena:

The hydraulic governor is located within the valve chest. What car are you referring to though, and have your shifts become erratic?

It's the almighty 6th gen Maxima (2004-06). Yes, shifts have become erratic. I get P0780, and the manufacturer's service manual points accusing fingers to the solenoids in the valve body. It mentions the hydraulic control circuit too. I'm installing a new valve body, and wondering whether by doing that I'm also solving the problem of the hydraulic control circuit if its an integral part of the VB,
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Trac: 5:50am On Jun 16, 2011
Siena:

Trac, not really worth building a bespoke suspension set-up for this car. If it wasn't given to me gratis, I wouldn't get one, not really a Volvo fan. Especially this generation. Styling a Volvo's like putting make-up on a pig.  wink

No interior rattles, feels really tight.

Let's not forget Siena, pigs are smart animals and are also good at what they do (and also being dirty). So, I'm speaking to the effect that there is hope for the Volvo. The previous owner put in a lot of effort to arrive at this state.

I don't believe in exterior modifications except you know what you are doing and it serves a function.  I'm not big on Volvo but I own one.  I have babied it and everything works and all maintenance done but interior rattles and it gets on my nerves.  The build in my opinion is bad/poor.  Three years ago, I wanted to trade mine at the dealership for an S60R that was 3 years old and that Volvo also rattled and I gave up totally on anything Volvo.  I wanted something smaller not something that I am not sure of.  Engine and transmission is strong but the little things and interior go south and they are costly.
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Trac: 6:23am On Jun 16, 2011
sultaan:

For the paint job, a clay bar and a good coat of wax should be good enough.

Pressure wash engine bay

Synthetic oil should help remove some of the gunk in engine, and could make an existing leak worse.

Cooling system needs to be flushed thoroughly to clean out the rust in radiator, engine and evaporator.

Fuel injector cleaner is also a good idea. Brake fluid flush(basically all fluids changed)

Grease slide pins, resurface rotors(if going cheap) otherwise change binding caliper all brakes and rotors.

Suspension needs alignment suspension(V70s struts& mounts, Control Arms,ball joints) go bad easy.

Wheel can be buffed and painted with duplicolor wheel color in spray cans

Cooling fan recalled.

I was looking to ship one to naija this year, because of ability to carry seven pas, without paying N350k duty on 5 pas SUV, fuel economy, not armed robber magnet, cargo space.

For the deal you got I would have bought it too knowing engine and trans were in good shape.

You cannot resurface the rotors. The rotors are soft and they warp evenly as the shoes wear. The service life of the rotors are very short also. You are to replace the shoes (pads) with the rotors lest you get steering vibration. A normal rotor wouldn't work right if you bolt it on normally.

Suspension - I really wouldn't go there except it is really bad and it's more of a necessity than opinion. They cost a lot and you will be doing everything and the little things cost so much money. I'm talking about the ball joints, strut mounts with bearings, tie-rods, tie-rod links, sway-bar links, spring seats, strut brace link, control arms and so on. When you sum it all up, it's more than a thousand bucks in dollars in parts alone. The springs also sag.

One thing that I am sure that will be replaced is the strut mount and the spring seat.
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Shagati(m): 11:13am On Sep 28, 2011
Hey Sienna

Any updated pictures of the Volvo?

Please send me an email

I want your advice on a few things (Merc SLK related wink)

Thanks
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 11:20am On Sep 28, 2011
^^^ Shagati, the Volvo's been sold. I was made an offer I couldn't refuse.

Email sent.
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by jmaracas: 3:19pm On Nov 29, 2011
hey there Siena,

I am currently based in the UK and want to do a RHD to LHD conversion, send me your contact details.

thanks
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by FEGNO: 9:03am On Dec 01, 2011
Nice one sienna.

Alway a pleasure reading your postings. Please would you recommend this car for use in Nigeria. I mean like a knock about. Eg school run, market and the likes. Is it reliable, are the parts available and most importantly is the automatic transmission proven to be problem free( my wife wouldn't touch a manual car if her life depended on it)

If yes above, what price range would I be looking at bearing in mind I will be shopping from say Germany or Belgium.

Finally, we were thinking of a 2005 Toyota sienna but I worry about fuel, size which is really large for a knock about and then cost.

Really need your advice please
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by DEE247(m): 4:38pm On Dec 28, 2012
wao! very intresting! lazarus did came back. am new on this forum and just got a 1998 s70 t5. and i really need advice as per maintenance. its got 198k miles and thinking of changing the timing belt. i mean how can i locate Hon. Siena or is he base permanently in ....
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by DEE247(m): 3:44pm On Dec 29, 2012
[hello siena and peeps in the house.

please i want to change the timing belt or chain for my 1998 s70t5. Can some one advice where i could get this done?
the ride is 198000km and a colleague / trac (on nairaland) advice i change the tensioner, water pump,timing belt and plugs as a preventive maintenance. just got the ride 2weeks ago.

i mean a n xpert with this kind of task.

note: the engine in the car now is a 2.0L engine 5cyl. BUT! MY GOOGLE SEARCH RESULT IS THAT S70-T5 COMES WITH A 5CYL 2.3L DOHC TURBO
MAYBE SOMEWHERE/somehow/sometime THE ENGINE MUST HAVE BEEN CHANGED

please advice
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by DEE247(m): 1:35pm On Dec 30, 2012
siena, trac. am still waiting. needs your xpertise on this
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by Nobody: 10:35am On Jun 29, 2013
DEE247: [hello siena and peeps in the house.

please i want to change the timing belt or chain for my 1998 s70t5. Can some one advice where i could get this done?
the ride is 198000km and a colleague / trac (on nairaland) advice i change the tensioner, water pump,timing belt and plugs as a preventive maintenance. just got the ride 2weeks ago.

i mean a n xpert with this kind of task.

note: the engine in the car now is a 2.0L engine 5cyl. BUT! MY GOOGLE SEARCH RESULT IS THAT S70-T5 COMES WITH A 5CYL 2.3L DOHC TURBO
MAYBE SOMEWHERE/somehow/sometime THE ENGINE MUST HAVE BEEN CHANGED

please advice

Apologies for my late response, but you're right - this is the wrong engine for this car. For some reason, the nice, powerful 2,3 T5 motor has been removed, in favour of a 2,0 variant. Less powerful to, by a massive margin.

Out of interest, how does this car run?
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by ikeyman00(m): 4:27pm On Oct 09, 2013
@@

hmm
Re: Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! by cluewebhost(m): 9:34am On Dec 16, 2020
smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bmw E30 325i Coupe Wanted / Why You Need To Run A Scan On Your Vehicle Before Repairs / Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey And Nissan Quest.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.