Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,784 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:53 PM

We Really Need Another Section. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / We Really Need Another Section. (2105 Views)

Thermostats, Do we really need them :) / Guys, I Really Need Your Sincere Advice. Lexus RX300 Or Acura MDX ? / I Urgently Need Another Clean Naija Used Eod For 1m: 08032851997. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Really Need Another Section. by BizBooks(m): 6:57pm On May 30, 2011
I thank Seun and Co for giving us the bulk section. It went a long way in sanitizing the auction section. Newcomers will not understand what life was like before the introduction of the bulk section. But sadly we are gradually returning to the status quo ante. By that I mean the auto section is looking more and more like the auto section of old.

People are now rampantly flaunting the 3 threads per day limit while others are brazenly using multiple IDs to advertise in the main auto section. Nigerians are too “smart” and will find ways to break any law that is not strictly enforced. Monitor_1 once asked us to report any dealer violating the rules. I don’t know how many people that have done that. But I suspect it will be quite few since Nigerians generally prefer to mind their own businesses.

What I’m about to propose here is not new. We have discussed it ad nauseum. But I think the time has now come for us to solve this problem once and for all. Just as the admin created the bulk section, he should create another section called “Approved Dealers Section” or something similar to that. Only dealers that meet certain criteria will be allowed to advertise in this section.

Whenever a car deal goes wrong on Nairaland, you invariably here people labeling all NL dealers as cheats and frauds. One cannot argue with such characterization because there is no way to separate the cheats from the honest dealers. Buyers’ confidence level on NL is not known. But I’m sure it is not very high. We need a section where buyer’s confidence level will be close to 100% (meaning they get what they pay for or their money back. No excuses). Even if we have one or two dealers in such section, it will be better than having 100 dealers with questionable degrees of reliability and trustworthiness.

I am looking forward to the day when buyers all over Nigeria can be referred by their friends and families to the “Approved Dealers Section” of NL with no fear whatsoever.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by dantitiki(m): 7:16pm On May 30, 2011
Worth brainstorming on,
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by Osama10(m): 7:57pm On May 30, 2011
@ OP, You have a nice idea here.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by ocee87: 8:40pm On May 30, 2011
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by Nobody: 8:44pm On May 30, 2011
Great innovation, if it's implemented. And if it's strictly adhered to.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by Seun(m): 9:13pm On May 30, 2011
If the problem is that people are flaunting the 3 threads a day limit,
then shouldn't the solution be to instruct the mods to pay more attention?
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by BizBooks(m): 9:49pm On May 30, 2011
Seun:

If the problem is that people are flaunting the 3 threads a day limit,
then shouldn't the solution be to instruct the mods to pay more attention?

That is a lesser problem. The bigger problem is people listing cars with multiple IDs. I am at loss as to why they do that. But the reason cannot be good. From my short stay on NL, I can count about 15 - 20 dealers who I think will not deliberately bring shame to the auto section. Such dealers and others can easily qualify for what I'm calling for.

In case you have not noticed, there are people here whose only pre-occupation is to list their cars and then bump it daily. That's it. They do not make any other contribution to the auto section whatsoever and will not even come to defend themselves when an allegation is leveled against them.

As the owner of this site, you should find a way to maintain the open door policy without denigrating the quality.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by oblo(m): 4:42am On May 31, 2011
Welcomed idea.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by dantitiki(m): 5:23am On May 31, 2011
True @seun

And instead of that, the moderators keep increasing in numbers. THREE morderators now, NO effectiveness.

Where is the morderator of previous days " https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-280375.0.html " when you get warned instantly for violating rules. I also remember there's a function called "Admin message" which morderators use to communicate with members. But now moderators are busy focusing on their business. How many focal points can be achieved simultaneously?

Kind regards.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by ocee87: 6:28am On May 31, 2011
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by viperman: 2:37pm On May 31, 2011
I totally concur to this initiative.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by chelseabmw(m): 3:52pm On May 31, 2011
dantitiki:

True @seun

And instead of that, the moderators keep increasing in numbers. THREE morderators now, NO effectivenessWhere is the morderator of previous days " https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-280375.0.html " when you get warned instantly for violating rules. I also remember there's a function called "Admin message" which morderators use to communicate with members. But now moderators are busy focusing on their business. How many focal points can be achieved simultaneously?
Kind regards.

And who obviously are u referring to? Please clarify what u mean by that
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by ocee87: 3:56pm On May 31, 2011
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by inspiredm(m): 4:03pm On May 31, 2011
I Personally called the attention of Seun to this thread because I think its Right to Certify dealers Fit to Deal on Upfront payment Transactions Otherwise Called Pre Orders.

We may not Need another Section, What we need is a Sticky Topic of Accredited Dealers/Sellers Who wish to engage in Pre Order Services, For Other Type of Transactions The Status Quo Should Remain, its an Open Market.

Typically Its a Buyers Beware Market and Buyers should do their due diligence before Dealing with anyone, However The integrity of the Autos Section is Our Utmost Concern, whereby Not All would be Branded as fraudsters or Dupes.

Members should stay on Point and avoid Mud slinging or Inciting Posts Please.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by chelseabmw(m): 4:08pm On May 31, 2011
Must of the so called dealers here don't even understand plain English that's why i believe they still post more than three post on the Home auto section.I believe i sent messages to some dealers here letting them know the difference between the bulk section and the auto section.I have also contacted few dealers too through their threads.But they still do whats on their mind.
As moderators we do not have power to ban any  user as that is the function of either the super mod or seun himself.In case any one is violating the rules governing this section then u simply click on the REPORT TO MODERATOR.Just to let u know that we will try and reduce the rate of bulky messages so as to have a smooth working section.
Observations will be made as from today in regards to this.As for the guy talking about effectiveness i bet u if given the chance to moderate this section what will u do?

Cheers
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by igbsam(m): 4:58pm On May 31, 2011
This is a welcome idea and i totally agree with the poster. I also noticed a recent increase in marketing of cars and other things here on the auto forum than giving solutions to problems that has to do with automobile issues. When you come on and ask for a solution for a particular problem you are experiencing with your car, rather than bring solutions, they would advertise you the cars they have for sale. This is somehow funny. I think a section for car certified car dealers need to be opened and then we have a section for solving vehicle problems. Just suggesting and due to my observations. So many cheaters staining the genuine dealers like inspire_m and co, not here to sing praises of anyone, but this guys are tested and trusted. But new people might feel they are part of those cheating here cos we have a large number of them.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by BizBooks(m): 5:27pm On May 31, 2011
inspired_m:

We dont Need another Section, What we need is a Sticky Topic of Accredited Dealers/Sellers Who wish to engage in Pre Order Services, For Other Type of Transactions The Status Quo Should Remain, its an Open Market.

This is a good idea but should be expanded to include tokunboh, registered and Cotonou dealers. However, we should only adopt it if we fail to convince Seun of the need for a certified or approved section.

We should not be afraid of innovation. If we try something new and it doesn't work, we discard it. That is how advanced economies like Japan and the US got where they are today. They call it continuous process improvement.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by inspiredm(m): 5:35pm On May 31, 2011
BizBooks:

This is a good idea but should be expanded to include tokunboh, registered and Cotonou dealers. However, we should only adopt it if we fail to convince Seun of the need for a certified or approved section.

We should not be afraid of innovation. If we try something new and it doesn't work, we discard it. That is how advanced economies like Japan and the US got where they are today. They call it continuous process improvement.

Biz Books, Im afraid your Idea to Include ALL types of Sellers may not Work.

Nairaland has Over 600,000 Members, any of Whom is Free to Advertise On the Autos Section, If we Include all Kind and Types of Dealers & Sellers, How many Sellers, or Dealers can We Approve ?

Wont There be Prejudice in Selection from Such Large Sampling ? How do we Know Who is Who ?

It is an Open Market, Any body can Advertise and Sell, Any Body Can buy.

HOWEVER, the Pre Order Angle is a Sensitive One whereby Payments are Made Upfront without Seeing Goods.

80 % of Scams and Fraud that has been recorded on this Autos Section has been PRE Order Scams.

My Idea is that Dealers and Sellers that Wish to Engage in Pre Order Adverts Should be Verified and Certified.

For Cash and Carry Dealers & Sellers, it is the Prerogative of the Buyers to See what They Want and pay If they Wish to, It will be Needless as We cant even Know Everyone.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by femmy2010(m): 6:46pm On May 31, 2011
inspired_m:

Biz Books, Im afraid your Idea to Include ALL types of Sellers may not Work.

Nairaland has Over 600,000 Members, any of Whom is Free to Advertise On the Autos Section, If we Include all Kind and Types of Dealers & Sellers, How many Sellers, or Dealers can We Approve ?

Wont There be Prejudice in Selection from Such Large Sampling ? How do we Know Who is Who ?

It is an Open Market, Any body can Advertise and Sell, Any Body Can buy.

HOWEVER, the Pre Order Angle is a Sensitive One whereby Payments are Made Upfront without Seeing Goods.

80 % of Scams and Fraud that has been recorded on this Autos Section has been PRE Order Scams.

My Idea is that Dealers and Sellers that Wish to Engage in Pre Order Adverts Should be Verified and Certified.

For Cash and Carry Dealers & Sellers, it is the Prerogative of the Buyers to See what They Want and pay If they Wish to, It will be Needless as We cant even Know Everyone.

Wouldn't it be a bit biased to have a separated section for only PRE-ORDER DEALERS?

Dealers should maintain equal privileged and if there should be an accreditation then it should embrace all as highlighted by Bizbook.

I have sold many a cars on ground to Nairlanders i have never met before(They only see the detailS online)and if people like us are exempted from the possible accreditation and a particular set aren't,it would be  wholly biased decision which would end up polarizing our dear NL.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by inspiredm(m): 6:51pm On May 31, 2011
femmy2010:

Wouldn't it be a bit biased to have a separated section for only PRE-ORDER DEALERS?

Dealers should maintain equal privileged and if there should be an accreditation then it should embrace all as highlighted by Bizbook.

I have sold many a cars on ground to Nairlanders i have never met before(They only see the detailS online)and if people like us are exempted from the possible accreditation and a particular set aren't,it would be  wholly biased decision which would end up polarizing our dear NL.

Read the Posts Very Well My Brother

I am Not In Support Of Just Another Section, I am In support Of Sanitizing Dealers that Collect Upfront Payments from Buyers all in the name of Pre Order and then fleece with Customers Money, There is no system in Check to Checkmate that

Other categories of Sellers is Simply Buyers Beware, You advertise a car, Buyer comes and sees your Product, he likes it He Buys, He doesn't, He Leaves, Simple.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by dantitiki(m): 6:57pm On May 31, 2011
I don't get the hammer on the "pre-order thread"

So if this is gotten, then what happens to the "general dealers section". It comes back to a market rage

We need a general solution, not a disection.

Fish out dupes
Improve security
Eradicate multiple registration
Build a family
Spread the word on NL's aim, genuity and one goal vision

This site has the tendencies of a global reach and it's in the bowl of we members.

Kind regards.
n
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by inspiredm(m): 7:00pm On May 31, 2011
dantitiki:

So if this is gotten, then what happens to the "general dealers section". It comes back to a market rage

Fish out dupes
Improve security
Build a family

This site has the tendencies of a global reach and it's in the bowl of we members.

Kind regards.
n

Can you Provide an Idea / Solution to "Fishing Out Dupes" for the General Section amongst 600,000 members that have the right to advertise on a particular Section ?
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by dantitiki(m): 7:11pm On May 31, 2011
That's not my decision. I'm not a programmer and that would need some query languages to achieve.

I just profered an idea which I feel should be worth a think.

We all have to do this together. Moreover, there's an admin to this forum isn't there?

An organogram always has a role to play in everything.

Kind regards.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by inspiredm(m): 7:18pm On May 31, 2011
dantitiki:

That's not my decision. I'm not a programmer and that would need some query languages to achieve.

I just profered an idea which I feel should be worth a think.

We all have to do this together. Moreover, there's an admin to this forum isn't there?

An organogram always has a role to play in everything.

Kind regards.

Oga, In my Humble Opinion, It is Not Realistic

Cheers
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by BizBooks(m): 7:22pm On May 31, 2011
inspired_m:

Can you Provide an Idea / Solution to "Fishing Out Dupes" for the General Section amongst 600,000 members that have the right to advertise on a particular Section ?

We shouldn't be worried about casual car dealers or people that will come here to sell cars once in a while. Such people will not submit to the rigours of certification because this is not their full time business. So when you discount them, the number will be much smaller than 600,000.

Also, recently, Monitor_1 caught a dealer actively selling cars on NL with three different IDs. If such person ever decides to apply for certification, he will not apply for 3 IDs. So I agree with Dantitiki that we should seek a comprehensive solution that is not targeted to pre-orders alone.

I urge others to make their opinion known. Silence may indicate indifference.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by dantitiki(m): 7:29pm On May 31, 2011
Well, to me it is very possible but not easy is what I'll agree to. There are so many detective solutions to achieve that and if there weren't, all other successful forums or groups wouldn't be where they are.

Creating a sticky preorder thread isn't close to a solution in anyway.

There must be other better ways. Let's hear from other members too.

Kind regards.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by inspiredm(m): 7:37pm On May 31, 2011
BizBooks:

We shouldn't be worried about casual car dealers or people that will come here to sell cars once in a while. Such people will not submit to the rigours of certification because this is not their full time business. So when you discount them, the number will be much smaller than 600,000.

Also, recently, Monitor_1 caught a dealer actively selling cars on NL with three different IDs. If such person ever decides to apply for certification, he will not apply for 3 IDs. So I agree with Dantitiki that we should seek a comprehensive solution that is not targeted to pre-orders alone.

I urge others to make their opinion known. Silence may indicate indifference.

Who are Casual car Dealers ? Any Rule Made applies to all members of the Forum, Every Member has equal right to Post adverts within the Rule, the Issue of Multiple ID's is not Unique to the Autos Section, it affects the general forum, it is already stated that the use of Multiple accounts without the permission of the Admin is Prohibited.

The Admin sanctions anyone found Guilty.

The Only Solution I can see is Collective Responsibility, The Admin and the Moderators alone Cannot Do it, When we see any Advert that looks dodgy Or we Suspect a User with Mulitple IDs, Let us Call the Poster to order, We can also Use the Report to Moderator Button to report any Complaints, We all have a duty to Protect and Build this Section.

Cheers
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by igbsam(m): 7:48pm On May 31, 2011
dantitiki:

Fish out dupes
Improve security
Build a family

Kind regards.
n
Please pardon me. I was wondering how you would single handedly fish out dupers and scammers from a forum where you have over 600,000 users. I dont think, this would work. I would suggest we do the following

(1) Alert the people who are willing to trade here to abide by some certain terms and conditions in order not to get duped. Like, not paying upfront for something you've not seen without meeting the dealer one on one.
(2) They should try and get recommendations from moderators of this forum and find out more facts about the dealers.
(3) Any new dealer should report his/herself to the moderator for certifications before he/she can appear in the public forum for his deals.
(4) A Thread should be opened where certified dealer's name would be listed for the public after being screened and certified with genuine back-ups for their claims. Then a buyer can trade with the listed dealers only.

Just suggesting.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by dantitiki(m): 8:01pm On May 31, 2011
@igbsam
Upfront shouldn't be condemned. If legal processes are followed, nothing sidelines that.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by femmy2010(m): 8:23pm On May 31, 2011
I help client procure their desired buy option from Cotonou and get 80% to full payment upfront and i have done tens of deals on NL that has never gone bad.
Thanks to NL,people like us without much capital to stock variegated buy options can still make ends meet.
So upfront payment would still remain in play.

The solution proffered by the moderator is the foundation for all others

"The Only Solution I can see is Collective Responsibility, The Admin and the Moderators alone Cannot Do it, When we see any Advert that looks dodgy Or we Suspect a User with Multiple IDs, Let us Call the Poster to order, We can also Use the Report to Moderator Button to report any Complaints, We all have a duty to Protect and Build this Section"

In addition,Dealers should post verifiable point of contact address on their threads as this goes a long way to prove they have nothing to hide and won't criminally abscond with client's funds.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by calculusx(m): 9:31pm On May 31, 2011
femmy2010:

I help client procure their desired buy option from Cotonou and get 80% to full payment upfront and i have done tens of deals on NL that has never gone bad.
Thanks to NL,people like us without much capital to stock variegated buy options can still make ends meet.
So upfront payment would still remain in play.

The solution proffered by the moderator is the foundation for all others

"The Only Solution I can see is Collective Responsibility, The Admin and the Moderators alone Cannot Do it, When we see any Advert that looks dodgy Or we Suspect a User with Multiple IDs, Let us Call the Poster to order, We can also Use the Report to Moderator Button to report any Complaints, We all have a duty to Protect and Build this Section"

In addition,Dealers should post verifiable point of contact address on their threads as this goes a long way to prove they have nothing to hide and won't criminally abscond with client's funds.

I concur. In as much as i sell my Cars right from my house, buyers have the confidence of not buying from road side should in case anything goes wrong which I thank GOD no recall has happened.
Also not all the moderators are busy with their own business but 3 moderators can't do it all alone. Its our collective effort to fish out any poster using multiple IDs. More-so, in as much as i don't support fraudulent deals by some scrupulous dealers, let's also blame it on some buyers who look for too good to be true deal as if Cars are picked on the streets in USA and when they get scammed they come here and rake.
Pre-order or no pre-order, it should be buyers beware. Lets still maintain the Status Quo

@Seun: As a graduate in Electronics and Computer Engineering, i believe getting posters with multiple adverts is easy to fishout except if their ips are not logged. I hope that make some sense.
Re: We Really Need Another Section. by Sicherheit(m): 10:31pm On May 31, 2011
In my humble opinion, having a special thread put on a sticky for only pre-order dealer smacks of elitism and can be seen as a way where some people are formally lifted above others. This is an equal opportunity forum; let everybody be known by the works of their hands.

We have to assume the buyers are not little children who need to be cuddled. If I am going to be dropping a large sum of money for a car, you best know I will be doing everything in my power to make sure I don’t get cheated.

I’ve been looking to buy a car for 2 months now, having calculated how much I want to spend based on the kind of car I want, I know the pre-order route maybe the way to go. I didn’t just land on the auto section and pick the first pre-order thread I saw, what I have been doing instead is taking a list of the dealers in the pre-order sales, looked at their history, which is really easy to do with search buttons and clicking on the poster’s profile. In the two weeks I was able to narrow my list down to a couple of dealers. I’ll still do the same thing for non-pre-ordered cars.

My criteria: Longevity and customer relations/testimonial. That’s all the accreditation this buyer needs.

The question I want to ask for those in favor of “Approved dealer” is if this "Approval List" is really for the buyers and not a way to spotlight some sellers over the others, then what guarantees does it comes with? For instance, what happens if an approved buyer defaults? Can the people who did approving be held responsible for his default? If no, then what is the essence of your approval? You are telling us go with lagbaja and tamado but if anything happens, we are on our own.

The only way to get some semblance of normalcy is to press home the fact that both buyers and sellers have responsibilities and if these responsibilities are upheld, the chances of a diligent buyer who has done his homework crossing paths with an untrustworthy seller is very slim. Each party taking their responsibilities seriously won’t eliminate the risks but it significantly reduces it.

All the other issues like people posting with multiple IDs will be moot if everybody adopts the[b] by their fruit you shall know them[/b] philosophy.

Finally, I want to suggest that things like temperament should be put into consideration when picking a moderator for a highly charged section like this. Some people get too hot under the collar too quickly to be mods. Yes, Mr. chelseabmw I'm looking at you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Type Of Oil To Use In Small I Better Pass My Nieghnour Gen / Cost Of Eod Headlights / Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.