Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,862 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill (6209 Views)

GEJ Just Lost Another Supporter In Me / GEJ Signed FOI Bill GMB Send Other To Jail For Seeking Info / Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by Nobody: 12:55am On Jun 01, 2011
i have to leave you in your insanity
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by vaLasce(m): 12:59am On Jun 01, 2011
toaskarity! Ur horn look all undone,u do not take my fancy in d least! U ve a horn wer oda ruminants ve none. Toaskarity,ur an ugly beast!
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by Chuksaluta(m): 1:07am On Jun 01, 2011
nice one mr president[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by EvilBrain1(m): 2:56am On Jun 01, 2011
It amazes me that this bill has been signed into law yet nobody knows what it contains. Not one single copy of the final bill on the internet. Even with my strong Google-fu, I cant find a single excerpt of the final text anywhere. Are the Nigerian press so useless that they can't keep us informed of what has been added or removed? Or is it that the politicians are deliberately trying to obfcuscate things so that they can doctor the bill in such a way that it doesn't interfere with their money siphoning activities?

There's some serious irony here. And it shows how opaque the houses of assembly are. Nobody knows what they are doing, how much money they are collecting or where the money is going.
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by Nobody: 3:08am On Jun 01, 2011
vaLasce:

toaskarity! your horn look all undone,u do not take my fancy in d least! U ve a horn wer oda ruminants ve none. Toaskarity,your an ugly beast!
THEN WHY FOLLOWING ME AROUND OR I OWE YOU MY backside!
ARE YOU BORED WITH YOUR FELLOW UGLY BEAST MALE FUCKERS!
OH MY GOSH! GO FIND NEW ONES !!!
THANK YOUR STARS YOU ARENT A MUSLIM FOR YOU WOULD NOT ONLY HAVE BEEN STONED BUT TANGLED ALIVE WITH YOUR FATHER WHO THE BLOODS FLOWS FROM!
PEEP LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!! I M SATISFIED WITH THE FEMALES AROUND ME!!!
I REPEAT I DONT WANT A MAN
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by EvilBrain1(m): 3:41am On Jun 01, 2011
Sen. Abike Dabiri says the new act is stronger than the bill that was presented in 1999.

LAGOS, Nigeria — A senator who sponsored Nigeria’s first freedom of information bill says it could give citizens of Africa’s most populous nation access to public records for the first time.

Sen. Abike Dabiri, a former journalist, said Wednesday the latest version of the bill is stronger than the one first presented in 1999, less than a month after Nigeria emerged from 28 years of intermittent military rule.

The National Assembly passed the bill Tuesday after the Senate approved it. It awaits President Goodluck Jonathan’s signature.

The new law would give government bodies a week to produce requested information. It also makes it a criminal offense to destroy records.

President Olusegun Obasanjo, the first elected president after years of military rule, refused to sign the bill into law in 2007.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nigeria-passes-freedom-of-information-bill-may-open-records-in-africas-most-populous-nation/2011/05/25/AGlVLJBH_story.html

That's a very good sign because Ms. Dabiri is good people. I still want to read the bill though.
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by fxtopedia(m): 3:47am On Jun 01, 2011
Evil Brain:

It amazes me that this bill has been signed into law yet nobody knows what it contains. Not one single copy of the final bill on the internet. Even with my strong Google-fu, I cant find a single excerpt of the final text anywhere. Are the Nigerian press so useless that they can't keep us informed of what has been added or removed? Or is it that the politicians are deliberately trying to obfcuscate things so that they can doctor the bill in such a way that it doesn't interfere with their money siphoning activities?

There's some serious irony here. And it shows how opaque the houses of assembly are. Nobody knows what they are doing, how much money they are collecting or where the money is going.

Great post!
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by Kilode1: 3:58am On Jun 01, 2011
LAGOS, Nigeria — A senator who sponsored Nigeria’s first freedom of information bill says it could give citizens of Africa’s most populous nation access to public records for the first time. [b]Sen. Abike Dabiri, a former journalist, [/b]said Wednesday the latest version of the bill is stronger than the one first presented in 1999, less than a month after Nigeria emerged from 28 years of intermittent military rule.

Senator Abike Dabiri (ACN, Lagos)

^^^^^^
If you like the FOI bill, thank that woman, her party ACN, and the civil society groups pushing it since 1999, then you can thank GEJ if you like.

See some of them here --> http://www.foicoalition.org/about.htm
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by Kobojunkie: 5:02am On Jun 01, 2011
Evil Brain:

It's amazing . . . been searching for years actually for a copy of the bill since after the 2007 version and not a copy so far found online by me -- not even on NASS site. undecided undecided
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by dasa: 7:34am On Jun 01, 2011
So now if i write, my local govt chairman will give me records of all alocation recieved since 2003 abi?
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by babaowo: 8:50am On Jun 01, 2011
kudos to Gej
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by Bensonite: 9:26am On Jun 01, 2011
Good news for Nigeria. If GEJ performs well then its WIN-WIN for all. So thoses who are bent on pulling him down will be the losers not Nigeria. Please someone should update the tracker as agree
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by juman(m): 10:09am On Jun 01, 2011
babaowo:

kudos to Gej

Yeah. Good news. This is good start for us.

Also commendation to all that pushed the bill from the begining to the end.
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by jice(m): 12:08pm On Jun 01, 2011
where is the like of Eneruvie Enakoko who on the eve of the signing was still castigating GEJ.
These are the guy we tend to believe as activist only to be found in the next day campaigning for political parties, the Odumakins and Bakares of this world.
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by COMPAQ(m): 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2011
Its amazing how little information government websites provide. Not to talk of how poorly designed they are. I visited NTA's website a few months back for the first time in my life and I was surprised to see that they had news older than 2 months still on the site.
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by agabaI23(m): 1:41pm On Jun 01, 2011
wow I have  missed so much.

The  current FOI has been watered down from the original thing from reports but then it is better than nothing.
I think Kilode? has genuine worries but I think the other side will still have explain how he informati can constitute a security risk if released.

GEJ is my guy
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by klear(f): 5:09pm On Jun 01, 2011
Nice one GEJ, as 4  Dr. Abba Aji ''go & roast n HELL''  bt has anybody actually seen d bill & its contents? & i hope it will b enforced ( signing it is jst d tip of d ice berg )
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by efisher(m): 5:13pm On Jun 01, 2011
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by EvilBrain1(m): 12:19am On Jun 02, 2011
efisher:

^

Bill and the contents: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-680419.0.html

I just read the bill. Abike Dabiri was right, its actually better than the original version presented in 1999. It allows us to request practically all government documents with a few minor exceptions. Government agencies have to respond within 7 to 14 days of receiving the application and can actually get a year in prison for withholding information. It The exceptions are all pretty reasonable and all denied applications can be challenged in court. The court can even force the government to release documents covered by the exemptions if it's in the public interest.

There's even a section protecting whistleblowers who leak evidence of corruption or incompetence whether or not the law allows them to. I don't often have anything good to say about the government but I have to admit that this is a pretty fantastic law. I'm surprised that the legislators actually passed this knowing what it could mean for their fat paychecks (the law specifically mentions salaries).

Documents I would like to see:
The final accident reports of all the plain crashes in Nigeria between 1992 and 2010.
The police and SSS reports on the Dele Giwa bombing.
A detailed accounting of the total expenditure of both arms of the national assembly including salaries, allowances and personal expenses.
A detailed list of all Presidency staff including names titles, grade levels, salaries, and work descriptions.

Can anybody think of others?
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by agabaI23(m): 2:35pm On Jun 02, 2011
Naija ni baje

Nigeria is working
GEJ is working.

Unfortunately some people like Enyojo would've have preferred if this is not true.
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jun 02, 2011
A
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by Osama10(m): 6:44pm On Jun 02, 2011
ubon_abasi:

how do i leave nairaland permanently.

grin grin grin grin grin

No way man, you are stuck.
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jun 02, 2011
Now i can know how Abiola was killed in the present of US officials.
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by Kilode1: 7:00pm On Jun 02, 2011
^Dem don burn the record

Won ti jo evidence yen lipsrsealed
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jun 02, 2011
Arson will soon be on the rise then if that is the case.
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by Kilode1: 8:39pm On Jun 02, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Arson will soon be on the rise then if that is the case.
LOL

Well, maybe Section 11 can help, if we implement and enforce it effectively
11. It shall be a criminal offence punishable on conviction by a competent Court with a minimum of 1 year imprisonment for any officer or the head of any government or public institution to which this Bill applies to willfully destroy any records kept in his/her custody or attempts to doctor or otherwise alter same before they are released to any person, entity orcommunity applying for it.
Re: Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jul 15, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Killed Senator Gyang Datong Over Satellite Pictures,how many more to go / NNPC In Questionable Egina FPSO Award To Samsung / 2015: No Zoning In Our Constitution - APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.