Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,190 members, 7,822,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) (70717 Views)

R36L Madrid - Most Successful & Greatest Champ14ns of Spain, Europe & W8rld / Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Chelsea Fans Thread : Winners of the FA Cup And League Winners 09/10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by edoyad(m): 5:32am On Jun 08, 2011
Cougars aren't the brightest of animals . . .
Lol, grin , quote of the week.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by dipo2much(m): 6:44am On Jun 08, 2011
I think we 've had enough of †нє annoyingly lopsided definitions of Ambition. Ђδω ppl generate fullish definitions to force stewpid points.

Just read this from a arsenal blog and I think its a miracle for us if there is any thruth in it.
http://justarsenal.com/arsenal-offered-willian-for-denilson-plus-4m-take-it-quick/8328

Everybody wins here. Shaktar don't lose †нє player for nothing, denilson gets to play ECL as he wants, arsenal get a brilliant winger without splashin huge cash, willian wants to leave shaktar. What d'ya fink?
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by v3: 8:53am On Jun 08, 2011
@dipo2much
Several sites have reported this and its a good bargain if you ask me. .Willain'll be an excellent addition to the side and its a win-win situation for both clubs. But it's ONLY official when we see it on Arsenal.com
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by coogar: 9:02am On Jun 08, 2011
ritchboy:

This boy is an olodo sha! Just sit back and admire your stupidity :-

you keep exhibiting stewpidity every single time you open your mouth.

A: Ambition: An eager or strong DESIRE to achieve something

B: i ask again. . . .what has nasri ACHIEVED?

ambition is your desire to achieve something - you have highlighted the wrong verb here: which shows your iq is arrowed towards the left side of zero on the integer scale.

You actually don't see the difference between the DESIRE to achieve something and actually ACHIEVING it? Valencia winning the league with United is not = ambition, it is ACHIEVEMENT. Nasri not winning the league with Arsenal is not a lack of ambition, it is a lack of ACHIEVEMENT.

this boy never went to skool, it has been confirmed now. valencia winning the league with united  means he has matched his ambition. it is every player's dream to win the league title. they say that time and time again. when valencia came into this country, at the back of his mind. . . winning the league title has to be one of his ambitions. . . .winning the league later on means he has now matched his ambition.

In any case, you are still an olodo because the argument is about how ambitious Valencia was at Wigan i.e. BEFORE he won the Carling Cup and EPL with United.

now the tool ties himself in a tortuous knot. how ambitious was valencia at wigan? what kind of illogical question is this? without him being ambitious, he wouldn't even venture going into a big club in the first place. filling the role cristiano ronaldo left is a big task and valencia came in and played his part(that's ambitious). . . .winning the league now means he has now matched his ambition. nasri has none of those.

Cougars aren't the brightest of animals but i think you should be able to decipher this. Otherwise i've either overestimated your intelligence or underestimated your stupidity cheesy

this cougar is actually smarter than you. your failure not to recognise matching one's ambition and an achievement as being the same thing makes you look like a doofus. is valencia more ambitious than nasri(yes, he is). one filled the space left by the best player in the world. . . .nasri filled the role left by alexander hleb. grin i leave your corroded brain-cells to work out whose task was more humongous and which of them has matched his ambition.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by debosky(m): 11:17am On Jun 08, 2011
Sharon your comprehension of the English Language is atrocious.

You are describing ambition as a noun - i.e. the desire to achieve something and also as a noun describing the result desired or object sought after.

Your use of both definitions interchangeably displays your paucity of understanding when it comes to word-usage.

In terms of ambition (desire to achieve), you cannot say that Valencia is above Nasri, as both have expressed the desire to achieve.

In terms of ambition (result desired/object sought after), Valencia's 'achieved ambition' (i.e. winning trophies) is clearly higher while Nasri's 'achieved ambition' is limited to participation thus far.

However, if we compare the same time period spent in England - the first 3 years, Nasri 'achieved ambition' in his first 3 years (competing for the CL & EPL) is definitely higher compared to Valencia whose 'achieved ambition' was playing for a relegation threatened club.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by v3: 11:36am On Jun 08, 2011
Carl Jenkinson cool
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by debosky(m): 11:40am On Jun 08, 2011
First signing of the 2011 summer transfer window announced on Arsenal.com - Carl Jenkinson.

As he is described as a right back, this might spell the end of Eboue's career at Arsenal.

Let's hope this opens the door to more substantive signings.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by slimshay(m): 12:33pm On Jun 08, 2011
Debo and V3 where did you people see Carl Jeniknson announcement? All I see is the stone-look face of the Verminator. undecided
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by slimshay(m): 12:39pm On Jun 08, 2011
Oh ok, seen, but can somebody please tell me why he's been announced under 'reserve news' alongside the contract extensions for Afobe etc.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by proudly9ja(m): 12:42pm On Jun 08, 2011
Nawao, Arsenal don turn people to English Professors. Should we invite Okotie to help us define ambition?

On the Nasri issue, let's leave the guy abeg. As a professional, you want to achieve the best you can in your active years. For sports men, best may mean different things to different people. Best may be money (to save for after service days) and best may be titles (to show off to friends and family).
Some are lucky cos they have both 'bests' - money and titles.

Nasri is right to bargain for higher pay, if Arsenal can't meet his demands (higher pay and/or show of ambition), he will be in his right senses to leave if he wants. I don't want him to leave but what did keeping Cesc for another year achieve for us? Would we have come fourth this season if Cesc had left last season (and we had about 30million extra in the bank)?

Alex Hleb left us and in 3 seasons, he has won over 7 medals. Something he may not have achieved at Arsenal. Same with Henry, Flamini, Toure and I'm not sure if Ade got a the FA cup medal.

Arsenal and Arsene Wenger are not showing ambition to win the league or any other prestigious title for that matter. The only positive ambition we showed last season was in trying to win the Carling Cup and it showed in us getting to the final and minutes away from winning. We deviated away from the norm of using our reserves players in prosecuting the competition, that's ambition. Now we need the boss to do same with the league and deviate from the norm of using 'unfit' players in the league/CL (Squillacci, Koscielny, Denilson, readily come to mind).
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:45pm On Jun 08, 2011
yaaay, on the way to world domination and total annihilation of the competition, arsenal make a stop over to pick up the bestest of the best, exciting, young talent, the great out of contract, league two player, CARL JENKINSON!!!!!

round of applause. !!!!
i can just see him belting in the long range shots, making the fantastic tackles, etc etc,  , in my nightmares.

this is our definition of experienced world class additions to the squad? cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by slimshay(m): 12:53pm On Jun 08, 2011
proudly9ja:

Nawao, Arsenal don turn people to English Professors. Should we invite Okotie to help us define ambition?

On the Nasri issue, let's leave the guy abeg. As a professional, you want to achieve the best you can in your active years. For sports men, best may mean different things to different people. Best may be money (to save for after service days) and best may be titles (to show off to friends and family).
Some are lucky cos they have both 'bests' - money and titles.

Nasri is right to bargain for higher pay, if Arsenal can't meet his demands (higher pay and/or show of ambition), he will be in his right senses to leave if he wants. I don't want him to leave but what did keeping Cesc for another year achieve for us? Would we have come fourth this season if Cesc had left last season (and we had about 30million extra in the bank)?

Alex Hleb left us and in 3 seasons, he has won over 7 medals. Something he may not have achieved at Arsenal. Same with Henry, Flamini, Toure and I'm not sure if Ade got a the FA cup medal.

Arsenal and Arsene Wenger are not showing ambition to win the league or any other prestigious title for that matter. The only positive ambition we showed last season was in trying to win the Carling Cup and it showed in us getting to the final and minutes away from winning. We deviated away from the norm of using our reserves players in prosecuting the competition, that's ambition. Now we need the boss to do same with the league and deviate from the norm of using 'unfit' players in the league/CL (Squillacci, Koscielny, Denilson, readily come to mind).

Yet again we are here. Nasri is an obviously talented footballer, we need to keep our better players, but on what grounds exactly is he asking to be one of the top earners at Arsenal?

@Mr 4llerbuntu, did you miss the part where it was mentioned he was signed for the reserves. Stop sheeting metal bars abeg. grin
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by proudly9ja(m): 1:10pm On Jun 08, 2011
slimshay:

Yet again we are here. Nasri is an obviously talented footballer, we need to keep our better players, but on what grounds exactly is he asking to be one of the top earners at Arsenal?

slimshay, u dont get the point. He has the right to bargain for ANY amount of money he wants. He has made an evaluation of himself and believes that is what is worth. The club, fans have made evaluations and believe he is not worth it. Decisions will be made on whether he stays or leaves, na market, you buy or not!

I personally don't believe he should be the club's top earner but like I said, this is what negotiation is about and every player has the right to negotiate whatever he believes he is worth. If at the end of the day we dont reach a common ground and he leaves, the future will tell if he has made the right decision or not.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by proudly9ja(m): 1:11pm On Jun 08, 2011
However, if Nasri leaves Arsenal, I seriously doubt it will be because of money
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by proudly9ja(m): 1:12pm On Jun 08, 2011
Funny statement on our new signing.

He's not exactly the key ingredient lacking that'd help us win our first trophy in 6 going on 7 years,

He will probably become world class by the age of 23,demand 100k a week, we only offer 80 and he goes to Manure or Real. Seems like the way things work.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by debosky(m): 1:14pm On Jun 08, 2011
[quote author=proudly9ja link=topic=682102.msg8478626#msg8478626 date=1307533362]
Some are lucky cos they have both 'bests' - money and titles.[/QUOTE]

While Nasri is a 'professional', a great deal of emphasis is still placed on loyalty and decorum in football. No one begrudges him the right to seek to achieve the best, but the manner in which you seek to do this is highly important.

Not a single Arsenal fan begrudged Thierry or Vieira when they moved on, because they did it in a respectful way.

I guarantee we would NOT have come 4th if we lost Cesc and kept the money in the bank.

Secondly, Nasri needs to be more intelligent about making his demands - while his desires may be legitimate, he would be a fool to ruin his image/relationship with the fans over £10k. You can make demands without destroying your goodwill at the club - that is the danger here.

Ultimately, Arsenal FC have to decide how much they are willing to pay Nasri - if he is not satisfied, then a sale should be carried out in good time to find a replacement .

This is highly debatable - 3 players were signed last summer and another was arguably 'signed' by bringing him into the first team Jack Wilshere. In addition to this, Arsenal refused OUTRIGHT to listen to any bids for their best player Cesc, and proceeded to offer improved contracts to the other world class player in the squad Robin Van Persie.

While this was ultimately unsuccessful in winning titles, I do not accept that you can look at all those actions and say Arsenal are 'not showing ambition to win the league'.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by debosky(m): 1:16pm On Jun 08, 2011
4llerbuntu:

this is our definition of experienced world class additions to the squad? cry cry cry cry cry cry

Don't kill yourself over Arsenal mata oh! cheesy

Besides, who called him an 'experienced world class addition' to the squad? Or have you started sniffing glue again? cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by debosky(m): 1:20pm On Jun 08, 2011
From Nasri himself on twitter:

I just want tell you dont listen the newspaper and the rumours i will let you know if something happen

https://twitter.com/#!/nanas08/status/78192646845247488
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by proudly9ja(m): 1:44pm On Jun 08, 2011
debosky:

While Nasri is a 'professional', a great deal of emphasis is still placed on loyalty and decorum in football. No one begrudges him the right to seek to achieve the best, but the manner in which you seek to do this is highly important.

Not a single Arsenal fan begrudged Thierry or Vieira when they moved on, because they did it in a respectful way.
News Flash! There's no such thing as loyalty in football anymore. Players play for trophies and/or money. Even Rooney almost left United last season but for the way SAF handled the situation.

debosky:

I guarantee we would NOT have come 4th if we lost Cesc and kept the money in the bank.
Permit me to use your own words. "Kindly tell us from your crystal ball" where we would have ended up without Fabregas? lool, (dat was just a joke but I strongly doubt we would have dropped 6 more points or more last season to finish 5th or lower)

debosky:

Secondly, Nasri needs to be more intelligent about making his demands - while his desires may be legitimate, he would be a fool to ruin his image/relationship with the fans over £10k. You can make demands without destroying your goodwill at the club - that is the danger here.
Pay negotiation is always messy. Henry and Viera left Arsenal after they had given us everything and even at a stage we were looking forward to seeing more of Adebayour and Fabregas. In Nasri's case, this is only drawing sentiments because many feel he still has more to offer.

debosky:

Ultimately, Arsenal FC have to decide how much they are willing to pay Nasri - if he is not satisfied, then a sale should be carried out in good time to find a replacement .
Agreed! again like I said earlier, if Nasri leaves Arsenal, it won't be because of money. I doubt it if he'l get 90,000pounds from any other club. Not even City.

debosky:

This is highly debatable - 3 players were signed last summer and another was arguably 'signed' by bringing him into the first team Jack Wilshere. In addition to this, Arsenal refused OUTRIGHT to listen to any bids for their best player Cesc, and proceeded to offer improved contracts to the other world class player in the squad Robin Van Persie.

While this was ultimately unsuccessful in winning titles, I do not accept that you can look at all those actions and say Arsenal are 'not showing ambition to win the league'.
Which three players? A player who had only played one season in league one? or Sebastian Squillaci? Asides Chamakh, none of the other two was expected to add anything to Arsenal apart from having backups on the bench. If that's ambition, I now understand why others have been bringing out dictionaries to explain the word to you, cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by proudly9ja(m): 1:47pm On Jun 08, 2011
debosky:

From Nasri himself on twitter:

https://twitter.com/#!/nanas08/status/78192646845247488
Kindly explain what the Nasri statement means cos I don't get it. 'If something happens'? As in is there any rumour going round that he has signed for anyone already?
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by slimshay(m): 2:21pm On Jun 08, 2011
proudly9ja:

News Flash! There's no such thing as loyalty in football anymore. Players play for trophies and/or money. Even Rooney almost left United last season but for the way SAF handled the situation.
Permit me to use your own words. "Kindly tell us from your crystal ball" where we would have ended up without Fabregas? lool, (dat was just a joke but I strongly doubt we would have dropped 6 more points or more last season to finish 5th or lower)
Pay negotiation is always messy. Henry and Viera left Arsenal after they had given us everything and even at a stage we were looking forward to seeing more of Adebayour and Fabregas. In Nasri's case, this is only drawing sentiments because many feel he still has more to offer.
Agreed! again like I said earlier, if Nasri leaves Arsenal, it won't be because of money. I doubt it if he'l get 90,000pounds from any other club. Not even City.
Which three players? A player who had only played one season in league one? or Sebastian Squillaci? Asides Chamakh, none of the other two was expected to add anything to Arsenal apart from having backups on the bench. If that's ambition, I now understand why others have been bringing out dictionaries to explain the word to you, cheesy

There is still loyalty in football, if you look properly you will see it. Kaka turned down a sci-fi proportions megadeal to stay at AC Milan, vP chose to extend his contract and not go to Inter and the likes to repay Arsenal staying by him. Its not all about money and that's my main beef with Nasri.

None of these players were expected to be the first names on the team sheet. Perhaps Chamahk due to VP injury status, but definitely not the previous 2.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by duduspace(m): 3:05pm On Jun 08, 2011
Chei, see argument galore? why am I in the middle of a house move now?  cry cry
Please don't be too hard on Sauron, there is just so much info the brain can stack, all those crude insults of his are bound to be taking up some space meant for basic level understanding of the lingo.  cheesy

Anyways, happy days.
The prodigal son of our shekpe supplier is trying to pacify the fans, so that means he is unlikely to go anywhere or he wouldn't see any reason to even bother about what Arsenal fans think. Someone has said its possible the senior playing personel at Arsenal want to break the current wage structure and Nasri is the poster boy. If he gets a wage increase, then something will have to be done for RVP and Cesc as well  so make we siddon look, I've never been good at predicting transfers anyway so we shall know where we stand come august but I don't believe our Prince is going anywhere.

On second thoughts, is Cesc really the highest earner at Arsenal? thought the last media report about higest earners in football mentioned Arshavin as the highest earner at Arsenal, haven't heard of a contract renewal for Cesc since this report though there were reports of some 'extra payments' outside his salary which were put in as part of his then unusually long 7 year contract:

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/02/17/50-highest-paid-footballers-in-the-world-be-prepared-to-be-slightly-surprised/

If Arshavin is indeed the highest earner then please Nasri is entitled to fight for more money jare or Arshavin has to be moved on.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by debosky(m): 3:47pm On Jun 08, 2011
proudly9ja:

If there is no loyalty then why has Gerrard stayed at Liverpool all his career? Why did Puyol stay at Barca for 6 years of his career before they started winning?

There is still loyalty in football - the degree of loyalty varies between players, but it clearly exists.

You can do a casual analysis of what Cesc contributed and subtract that from our performances. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine that Cesc's injury coincided with the CC finals, after which he hardly played and we proceeded to gain only 12 points in 11 games.

Again, did you EVER hear Henry or Gerrard threatening to leave for £10k? There is decorum and there is classless and tactless money chasing.

So pray tell why will Nasri leave if not for money? The sticking point in the contract IS money, so unless you have some hidden information we don't have, I'll stick with the words of the manager.

Which three players? A player who had only played one season in league one?

Very valid point, so let’s compare Arsenal to Chelski who signed Ramires who had played only one season in Portugal. Can we then say that Chelski showed no ambition to win titles?

or Sebastian Squillaci?

Squillaci was in France’s world cup squad and was brought in ostensibly as a fourth choice CB. Again I ask, who would regard bringing in a 30 year old defender (who had played in the UCL for years and recently won the UEFA cup) as not showing ambition?

Asides Chamakh, none of the other two was expected to add anything to Arsenal apart from having backups on the bench. If that's ambition, I now understand why others have been bringing out dictionaries to explain the word to you, cheesy

Three players - playing one from La Liga and two from Ligue 1. If that did not show ambition, how did Chelski (buying Ramires with one year of experience in Portugal) show ambition? How did Utd buying one player from Mexico and a homeless Portuguese player show ambition?

You clearly don’t know what the word means. We can clearly say they did not deliver the objective, but more importantly is the fact that you NEVER know ab initio if your desire will be achieved. The players were brought in but didn’t deliver - the act of buying players (which is what we are all clamouring for) is the simplest way to demonstrate ambition or desire to achieve.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by ritchboy(m): 4:07pm On Jun 08, 2011

You are describing ambition as a noun - i.e. the desire to achieve something and also as a noun describing the result desired or object sought after.

Your use of both definitions interchangeably displays your paucity of understanding when it comes to word-usage.

The boy is a scatter-brain. . . If you tell him 6+6=12, he'll tell you "how can 6 + 6 be equal to twelve when i am eleven years old?"
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by proudly9ja(m): 5:00pm On Jun 08, 2011
debosky:

If there is no loyalty then why has Gerrard stayed at Liverpool all his career? Why did Puyol stay at Barca for 6 years of his career before they started winning?

There is still loyalty in football - the degree of loyalty varies between players, but it clearly exists.
same thing o, I know I didn't invent grammar but when I said there's no loyalty, I simply meant the level of loyalty has reduced. Everybody knows that. Today's players play for money and titles, That's reality for you. Expecting everyone to be a Gerrard or Puyol is wishful thinking.

debosky:

You can do a casual analysis of what Cesc contributed and subtract that from our performances. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine that Cesc's injury coincided with the CC finals, after which he hardly played and we proceeded to gain only 12 points in 11 games.
It's easy to say that but considering that its a norm for Arsenal to lose more points in the second half of the season that in the first half, I won;t be quick to attribute it to loss of Fabregas. Virtually all of our players bar RVP lost form in the second half of the season. Chamakh, Nasri, Arshavin and even Wilshere all performed poorly compared to their performances in the first half of the season.

debosky:

Again, did you EVER hear Henry or Gerrard threatening to leave for £10k? There is decorum and there is classless and tactless money chasing.
And has Nasri told you he cares what you fans think about it? Truth is, its his career whether the fans like it or not, he has to watch out for himself and his future. If Arsenal wants him, negotiate with him. Seemples. If not, sell him off.

debosky:

So pray tell why will Nasri leave if not for money? The sticking point in the contract IS money, so unless you have some hidden information we don't have, I'll stick with the words of the manager.
I said IF Nasri leaves, it won't be because of money. So let's wait and see if he leaves and how much he gets from his new club.

debosky:

Very valid point, so let’s compare Arsenal to Chelski who signed Ramires who had played only one season in Portugal. Can we then say that Chelski showed no ambition to win titles?
How can you compare Chelsea's signings who just won the league the previous season with Arsenal's who last won the league 5 seasons before? Chelsea only needed to consolidate on their title winning squad. Arsenal struggled to come third that season finishing 11 points behind Chelsea. We needed total surgery on the team to do well in the 2010-2011 season. The results from the immediate past season reveals how well we did in the transfer market!

debosky:

Squillaci was in France’s world cup squad and was brought in ostensibly as a fourth choice CB. Again I ask, who would regard bringing in a 30 year old defender (who had played in the UCL for years and recently won the UEFA cup) as not showing ambition?
loool, I laff in wateva language suits you. Silvestre was also brought in as fourth choice CB. We all know how that ended. And by the way, Silvestre had actually won the Champ's league and many european league titles before joining Arsenal.

debosky:

Three players - playing one from La Liga and two from Ligue 1. If that did not show ambition, how did Chelski (buying Ramires with one year of experience in Portugal) show ambition? How did Utd buying one player from Mexico and a homeless Portuguese player show ambition?
United won the league in 2008/2009 and lost by only a point in 2009/2010. Why would they need to bring in top class players? Remember also that United and Chelsea didn't sell their CB combinations and one half of their top strikers in 2 season! Those two teams progressed over the years, Arsenal went backwards in terms of quality of players!

debosky:

You clearly don’t know what the word means. We can clearly say they did not deliver the objective, but more importantly is the fact that you NEVER know ab initio if your desire will be achieved. The players were brought in but didn’t deliver - the act of buying players (which is what we are all clamouring for) is the simplest way to demonstrate ambition or desire to achieve.
I clearly don't know what the word means and unlike oethers, I won't bother to try to define the word to you. All I know is that Arsenal lacks ambition. Ambition is not coming out to say you want to win titles. Anyone can do that. Even Wolves will prolly say same thing. Ambition is SHOWING that you want to win titles. Bringing in quality players to replace ageing ones and keeping your best players and peradventure you can't keep one or two, bring in quality to replace them.

Adebayour - Chamakh
Gallas/Toure - Squillaci/Koscielny

That's not ambition to me, !
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by proudly9ja(m): 5:08pm On Jun 08, 2011
slimshay:

There is still loyalty in football, if you look properly you will see it. Kaka turned down a sci-fi proportions megadeal to stay at AC Milan, vP chose to extend his contract and not go to Inter and the likes to repay Arsenal staying by him. Its not all about money and that's my main beef with Nasri.

None of these players were expected to be the first names on the team sheet. Perhaps Chamahk due to VP injury status, but definitely not the previous 2.
And Kaka plays for which club now? Remember AC Milan fans went to SanSiro to practically BEG Kaka to stay! I remember suggesting Arsenal fans do the same thing when Adebayour wanted to leave.

Anyways, my reference to loyalty missing from football today is relative. Most players these days are only interested in their pockets not what the fans say.

While I agree that Squill or Kos were not brought in as first timers, I will also quickly add that any Arsenal fan who does not know from experience that Arsenal players whether 3rd or 4th choices will eventually play a BIG part in the season really does not know his team. Right from the days of Stepanov, Luzhny, Senderous, and even Silvestre were not brought in to be first teamers but they played their parts in ruining games for us.
Surely you are not saying we can bring in not too good players simply because they will not be first teamers? Why don't we then put the reserves on the bench? Would Miguel have done any worse than Squillaci?
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by coogar: 10:35pm On Jun 08, 2011
debosky:

you are a troglodyte. when it comes to word-usage, you are a witless apprentice. now, lemme school you cos you are a tool.
nowhere in this discourse have i mixed the ambition(verb) with the ambition(now). you probably got confused with the phrase "matching one's ambition"

In terms of ambition (desire to achieve), you cannot say that Valencia is above Nasri, as both have expressed the desire to achieve.

how so? saying it is different from rolling one's sleeves and doing the business. valencia came in to fill the void left by cristiano ronaldo, nasri filled in for hleb. use your common sense, who was more ambitious knowing the task at hand?

In terms of ambition (result desired/object sought after), Valencia's 'achieved ambition' (i.e. winning trophies) is clearly higher while Nasri's 'achieved ambition' is limited to participation thus far.

you can say that again. . . . .

However, if we compare the same time period spent in England - the first 3 years, Nasri 'achieved ambition' in his first 3 years (competing for the CL & EPL) is definitely higher compared to Valencia whose 'achieved ambition' was playing for a relegation threatened club.

why compare the time spent in england? why not compare the time in spent in big clubs. why should you compare the overall strength of arsenal to that of wigan? arsenal fans will never compare like for like to save a life. nasri plays for arsenal, valencia does for man utd. these are two teams with identical strength and members of the big four. the comparison is fair. tevez also fought relegation in 2006/7. . . .so you would say adebayor was more ambitious than tevez of west ham in 2006/7 because the togolese competed in the champions league and carling cup final and tevez fought relegation? grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by debosky(m): 11:34am On Jun 09, 2011
coogar:
tevez also fought relegation in 2006/7. . . .so you would say adebayor was more ambitious than tevez of west ham in 2006/7 because the togolese competed in the champions league and carling cup final and tevez fought relegation? grin grin

In terms of 'achieved ambition' i.e the target or desired goal (all players desire to play in the CL) Adebayor possessed a higher ambition than Tevez. In terms of 'desire' - now that is far more difficult to measure.

******************************************************************************************************************

On to other news, it appears that Arsenal did bid over £16m for Jones, but the player decided to move elsewhere. If true, it does seem AW is willing to spend money this summer, and not simply looking for bargain basement buys.

http://wearethenorthbank.com/arsenal-had-bid-for-jones-accepted/

In terms of not signing Jones, I am personally not perturbed - at £16m, that is a LOT of money to pay for effectively more 'potential'. If we can sign Samba for the same amount or less that would be a far better deal in my view. We have enough (expensive) potential at Arsenal right now.

Arsenal in reality is not somewhere to come and 'learn' how to defend - we need guys who can step in NOW and do the business, not some guys needing to gain experience.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by debosky(m): 11:37am On Jun 09, 2011
coogar:

you are a troglodyte. when it comes to word-usage, you are a witless apprentice. now, lemme school you cos you are a tool.
nowhere in this discourse have i mixed the ambition(verb) with the ambition[b](now)[/b]. you probably got confused with the phrase "matching one's ambition"

What is a 'now' - is that some new class of word invented by Sharon?? cheesy cheesy I guess it's clear who the troglodyte is now. grin grin grin

PS - Your language comprehension is egregiously degraded. I didn't describe a verb - possessing ambition defined as 'a desire to do great things' and 'an object/specific objective' are BOTH nouns.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by proudly9ja(m): 11:58am On Jun 09, 2011
From former captain, Willie Willie

"When I was captain I wanted to give a message, but they didn't get it.

"I may have been clumsy, but the substance was right.

"I came from Chelsea where I won titles, and I wanted to share my experience, because I thought we missed commitment in our work.

"My message has not been understood and I am also responsible for that. But unfortunately the last season showed that team still misses something.

"It is too easy to say all the Arsenal problems came from William Gallas."
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by debosky(m): 12:38pm On Jun 09, 2011
Gallas is probably the worst captain Arsenal has had in decades - he had feuds with players, he was too dramatic for his own good and was a greatly divisive figure in the club.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) by slimshay(m): 1:06pm On Jun 09, 2011
debosky:

In terms of 'achieved ambition' i.e the target or desired goal (all players desire to play in the CL) Adebayor possessed a higher ambition than Tevez. In terms of 'desire' - now that is far more difficult to measure.

******************************************************************************************************************

On to other news, it appears that Arsenal did bid over £16m for Jones, but the player decided to move elsewhere. If true, it does seem AW is willing to spend money this summer, and not simply looking for bargain basement buys.

http://wearethenorthbank.com/arsenal-had-bid-for-jones-accepted/

In terms of not signing Jones, I am personally not perturbed - at £16m, that is a LOT of money to pay for effectively more 'potential'. If we can sign Samba for the same amount or less that would be a far better deal in my view. We have enough (expensive) potential at Arsenal right now.

Arsenal in reality is not somewhere to come and 'learn' how to defend - we need guys who can step in NOW and do the business, not some guys needing to gain experience.

Samba is reported to have said he was close to joining Arsenal in January. I was expecting him to be the first experienced signing in the summer. But bidding for Phil Jones kinda puts things in a different light. Will Blackburn be willing to sell another defender?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (100)

Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! / Barcelona Vs Bayern Munich : UCL (3 - 0) On 6th May 2015 / Manchester City Vs Tottenham Hotspur:UCL Quarter Finals (4 -3) On 17th Apr. 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.