Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,321 members, 7,954,290 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:06 PM

Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five (3023 Views)

Aisha Buhari Launches Free Health Screening In Ibadan, Oyo State (Pics) / Ajimobi Declares Assets / Ajimobi Declares Assets, Has N292.4M In Banks, Owns Houses In US, UK - 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by Nobody: 3:29am On Jun 04, 2011
Governor Abiola Ajimobi of Oyo State has declared free health services to children under the age of five in the state.

He has also declared free pre-and post-natal health care for pregnant women in the state.

He stated this on Friday in Ibadan, the state capital while declaring open the 51st annual delegates’ conference of the Nigeria Medical Association.

He added that his administration would cater for the health care of the aged, who were above the age of 70.

He said the steps were born out of his administration’s desire to provide good health care for the people of the state.

Ajimobi said it was unacceptable to him that doctors in the employ of the state had been on strike for about seven months.

He explained that it was his desire to reverse the trend that informed the choice of medical doctors as one of the first set of professionals he had consultation with within 48 hours of his inauguration as the state governor.

He said, “Indeed, the wellness or otherwise of a people is a function of the state of health of their doctors and health workers.

“This administration came on board with no illusion about the quality of health it wants for its hospitals.

“During our interface with the various groups of professionals before and after the elections, we stumbled on pathetic cases of the plight of medical doctors in our state. “We were appalled by the abandonment of the sacred place that a healthy nation places its health providers, in our state. We were horrified by the paucity of incentives for doctors to practise their profession in our state.

“It is unacceptable to this administration that doctors have been on strike now for upward of seven months in Oyo State.

“Not only do we want to reverse the trend of placing our doctors at the lowest rung of the ladder, we intend to make the practice of medicine in Oyo State rank side-by-side with what is obtainable in other parts of Nigeria, if not better.”

Ajimobi promised that he would work to make the state general hospitals indeed general in the fluid access of the people to them and make them places where the sick would find, with the input of the “Almighty God,” cure and healing.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201106042192134
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by jason123: 3:36am On Jun 04, 2011
Another show-face statement.
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by Nobody: 3:38am On Jun 04, 2011
lol make we they see oooo
soon we will knw the diff betw him and okala
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by kcjazz(m): 3:45am On Jun 04, 2011
jason123:

How is it show face statement? Do you know something the Governor doesn't know?

This should be the norm nationally for a nation with one of the lowest life expectancy rates in the world.
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by Kobojunkie: 4:25am On Jun 04, 2011
jason123:

This makes more sense IMO.

a) Akala did announce that he is leaving no debt in Oyo state( I am not certain how true this is but if close, this is good for the new governor).

b) Focusing this on just children 5 and under, it makes more sense than offering free health to all 5 million, or more people in the state. This particular group probably makes up about 10% of the state's population or less.

c) The State has been reporting some seriously high birth rates in the past year or two -- the kids need protection and this seems a good way to start.

But sure, this could be the usual first week/months PR moves, but if well planned and implemented, I see this surviving.
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by kasiem(m): 8:22am On Jun 04, 2011
Lets pray that the spirit and the will never fades, i'll proud to see a nigeria where foreigners will come to seek for good things of life.
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by violent(m): 9:18am On Jun 04, 2011
c) The State has been reporting some seriously high birth rates in the past year or two  -- the kids need protection and this seems a good way to start

My problem with moves such as declaration of;

free education,
of free health,
of free food,
of free housing,
of free dogs. . .etc etc
(let's add forfeiture of basic salary to look good in the eye of the public)

is that not only are they not backed by solid systems, they aren't backed by firm planning to ensure that those systems are sustainable for another 10 years into the future.   A system without proper planning will hit the rock bottom in a matter of months.
There's a funny aphorism that "to stay at the top, you'd have to climb, if you jump up, you'd definitely come down in seconds"

A proper system would have the following taken into consideration:

1) A close guesstimate of the total number of kids in the state, using a sample survey system

2) what medical challenges is prevalent among Oyo state kids?

3) How many kids would need medical treatment in the future?

4) How many kids can afford quality medical treatment?. . .to what extent?

5)How do we ensure that only children under the age of 5 receive this service?

6)Can the quality of current medical treatments be improved?

7) Should the state set up a defined separate Hospital to handle children cases with only trained pediatrics to attend to children?

coolTo what extent would medical treatment be free?  for instance, does it cover heart surgeries and bone marrow transplant?

9) Who will bear this cost?

10) Does the government have a sustainable budgetary allowance for this?

11) Can we get a Wealthy individuals with net-worth above 500 million, to set up a charity club that will make donations in billions, on a yearly basis to ensure that the project is adequately funded?

12) How will this system react to a change in government?

As much as i agree that free education and healthcare are a priority need of any state, if not backed with planning, will always end up the Nigerian way!  Studies can be conducted in a matter of months, it's not enough for an individual to make decision simply because it's a nice and warm Monday and the weather is looking good and sunny!
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by manny4life(m): 2:08pm On Jun 04, 2011
^^^^

The vast enormous problems (Debt) facing most governors today is everything or something is "FREE"; it shouldn't be that way otherwise people will not appreciate it. I support your opinion on that; however my opinion is let the govt run a state wide insurance policy plan. These plans can be mix-matched, sold in bulk (one package)or different (as you best fit), individual or in group, et.al. In other words, I DO NOT support free at least to certain extent; anything free is obviously abused and that's what stops it from being free because when there isn't funding it bankrupts the system.

Hypothetically, if you sold plans to five groups;

****children under age 12,

****kids/adults aged 13 to 21,

****adults from 22 to 39and

****Parental adults 40 t0 65

**** Baby boomer(S) 65+

People can mix and match their plans based on different policies, at least they contribute to their healthcare which is very important. States having really high birth rate should discourage such because sooner or later, the economy cannot absorb these kids making them turn heads to one thing or another.
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by sleek29(m): 2:09pm On Jun 04, 2011
A welcome development, we hope it aint one of those PR stunts
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by Nija4Life(m): 2:13pm On Jun 04, 2011
Good move in my view but it needs to be matched with a healthcare system that is well equipped, fully resourced and with a well trained and highly motivated manpower. No point in declaring free medical provision if there are no drugs in the hospitals for patients or doctors are striking every now and then because government cannot be bothered to look after them.

http://www.hilonah-educationthatworksfornigeria..com
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by eros(m): 6:10pm On Jun 04, 2011
This is a good initiative, i hope it is sustained and it outlives him.

GOD BLESS OYO STATE

GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by alex406(m): 6:25pm On Jun 04, 2011
I know this man is ready to take the state to a higher level, I so much believe in his tenure. Goodluck Ajimobi.
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by Kobojunkie: 6:31pm On Jun 04, 2011
violent:

My problem with moves such as declaration of;

free education,
of free health,
of free food,
of free housing,
of free dogs. . .etc etc
(let's add forfeiture of basic salary to look good in the eye of the public)

is that not only are they not backed by solid systems, they aren't backed by firm planning to ensure that those systems are sustainable for another 10 years into the future.   A system without proper planning will hit the rock bottom in a matter of months.
There's a funny aphorism that "to stay at the top, you'd have to climb, if you jump up, you'd definitely come down in seconds"
. . . . .

I agree with your point , and I hope this man is able to PLAN and logically implement this particular program.

I do support this particular idea at this time not because it might be yet another PR move by a newbie Governor seeking attenting, but because the state, unlike many others states, tdoes not have a high debt profile to deal with at this time.

Plus, this plan only focuses on providing for a small set of the population. I mean the state probably has less than 0.4 million of it's population still under 6 years of age. Starting small allows the state to gradually build up -- add new sets as money becomes available, and times goes on.
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by MMM2(m): 8:01pm On Jun 04, 2011
+1
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by Anvaller: 8:09pm On Jun 04, 2011
Ajimobi, Free Health!!! I am not convinced until he gets it done. I have taken my time to study Nigerian politicians, they have a constant strategy they all use, I wonder if people aren't observing the same. I will not talk about politicians that people naturally do not like but what about those ones people expected so much from? Look at Oshiomhole in his early months as governor, he promised plenty of things, even backing it up with calculations and strategies to achieving that.

Almost everyday on paper, you will read comments of oshiomhole doing the smart and sweet talks on how Edo state will never remain the same in his own regime.  but as time goes on he became more silent, and more silent when he apparently realized that he wasnt living up to his promises, the motivation for daily sweet talks will of course fade away, otherwise he would just catalyze the ppl of the state to observing his shortcomings earlier than desired.
The same thing to Fayemi, infact that guy ran down very fast, people are still waiting to seeing the governance with a difference he has promised.

Aregbeshola is currently on the same phase, infact to make his own matters was he sweet talks only on political games they play amongst themselves never on how he would develop the state.

Conclusion: If Ajimobi is saying free this free that, I cant be impressed, its just the phase, lets see what begins to happen after some 6-12 months, if he is keeping it real then I may begin to relax on my vexing. But for me I would only follow any politician objectively not based on hoping and hoping, or because he speaks clean english, I told people this same thing when they were hoping too much on Dimeji Bankole because he was young and could speak good english but I was rubbished I hope now they have seen clearly. To this end, I av realised that Nigerians are like women who wants to hear sweet things until their heart is broken and if u try rescuing them by telling them some hard truth, they will HATE u.
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jun 04, 2011
Just like ow Fayemi was going on about his free education and free health.

abegi! Make we heard word jare. Better time fixing roads, IMO.

So if every state is proposing free this and free that, where will the money be coming from?
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jun 04, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

So if every state is proposing free this and free that, where will the money be coming from?
Loan, from world bank
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jun 04, 2011
Donlittle:

Loan,  from world bank

Exactly, that's why ppl should be weary of this free this and free that.

Any state that does not have any future financial source of its own, should not base it's people's welfare on WB debts. Those debts will eventually catch up to the future generations of that state, just look at Ebonyi and Ekiti states.
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jun 04, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Exactly, that's why ppl should be weary of this free this and free that.

Any state that does not have any future financial source of its own, should not base it's people's welfare on WB debts. Those debts will eventually catch up to the future generations of that state, just look at Ebonyi and Ekiti states.
You, knw i really commend, fashola, but am wondering were he gets those loans from, and how on earth is he going to repay those loans, will lagos really really generates money to pay up those loans, frm the flowers undecided? or will it attract tourist??  undecided undecided
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by Kobojunkie: 8:28pm On Jun 04, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I think Fayemi was the one I was trying to refer to on one other post. So the man never deliver still? lol  

Is he also one of those that locked out late comers in the first week/month of taking office? I suspect Adams Oshiomole did it but did Fayemi play that as well?
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jun 04, 2011
Donlittle:

You, knw i really commend, fashola, but am wondering were he gets those loans from, and how on earth is he going to repay those loans, will lagos really really generates more to pay up those loans, frm the followers?? or will it attract tourist??  undecided undecided
Fashola gets loans, but he also have  lots and lots of international investors.

Lagos is seen as Nigeria's America by non-nigerians. The business prospects not only attracts lots of Internationals, but also rich Nigerians in Nigeria and in the diaspora.

Lagos is indebted, but the state also have it's own source of income.
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jun 04, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I think Fayemi was the one I was trying to refer to on one other post. So the man never deliver still? lol  

Is he also one of those that locked out late comers in the first week/month of taking office? I suspect Adams Oshiomole did it but did Fayemi play that as well?

I havent heard about any free health and education in Ekiti state so far, so I guess not. I wonder why Fayemi would promise something like that when the state does not even have good roads/interstates.

I dont believe he locked out any late comers.
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jun 04, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Fashola gets loans, but he also have  lots and lots of international investors.

Lagos is seen as Nigeria's America by non-nigerians. The business prospects not only attracts lots of Internationals, but also rich Nigerians in Nigeria and in the diaspora.

Lagos is indebted, but the state also have it's own source of income.
Good, at least he took the risk, i just hope those projects are m[b]aintained[/b] and it keeps on attracting, more investor, so they can pay up those, loans, it will be payed up, quickly if there had been light, cause am sure that light will attracts so many investor
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jun 04, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I havent heard about any free health and education in Ekiti state so far, so I guess not. I wonder why Fayemi would promise something like that when the state does not even have good roads/interstates.

I dont believe he locked out any late comers.
So Ekiti, state is still the same old Ekiti?? No difference, dont these ppl collect money from FeD Govt, yearly, what do they use do money for?? undecided
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by queensmith: 8:35pm On Jun 04, 2011
Im begining to think Nigeria doesnt really need a president. States can actually take action for thensemves rather than an inactive federal government.
This is truly a good thing, but basic healthcare needs to span way beyond this. What use is free healthcare if its rubbish?? We need to invest more in primary health facilities and hospitals with adequate resources compared with those abroad. Nigeria is waay to big for us not to have enough drugs, equipment or skilled proffesionals to treat the sick.
Also there needs to be an increased focus on the welfare of the average nigerian, encouraging those back home to so simple things like use sunscreen, wear sunshades  use smokefree stoves, treated mosquito nets, avoid infected water and invest more in latrines will improve our health and lifespan vastly.
Knowledge really is power. I'd like to see a government with well educated and truly competant leaders standing at the forefront.
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jun 04, 2011
Donlittle:

So Ekiti, state is still the same old Ekiti?? No difference, dont these ppl collect money from FeD Govt, yearly, what do they use do money for?? undecided

Hey, if you ever get a hold on Oni and Fayose, help me ask them those questions too.

Donlittle:

Good, at least he took the risk, i just hope those projects are m[b]aintained[/b] and it keeps on attracting, more investor, so they can pay up those, loans, it will be payed up, quickly if there had been light, cause am sure that light will attracts so many investor

Yea.
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jun 04, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Hey, if you ever get a hold on [b]Oni [/b]and Fayose, help me ask them those questions too.

Yea.
I seriously Hate that Oni, of a guy, because that is my last name, and he is really messing up big time, smh, well am frm Osun state, so there is diff
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jun 04, 2011
queensmith:

Im begining to think Nigeria doesnt really need a president. States can actually take action for thensemves rather than an inactive federal government.
This is truly a good thing, but basic healthcare needs to span way beyond this. What use is free healthcare if its rubbish?? We need to invest more in primary health facilities and hospitals with adequate resources compared with those abroad. Nigeria is waay to big for us not to have enough drugs, equipment or skilled proffesionals to treat the sick.
Also there needs to be an increased focus on the welfare of the average nigerian, encouraging those back home to so simple things like use sunscreen, wear sunshades  use smokefree stoves, treated mosquito nets, avoid infected water and invest more in latrines will improve our health and lifespan vastly.
Knowledge really is power. I'd like to see a government with well educated and truly competant leaders standing at the forefront.
I feel were you coming from, maybe there should be 36 country formed from Nigeria,  cause Nigeria cant survive without a president o, or else??  undecided
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by Kobojunkie: 8:47pm On Jun 04, 2011
queensmith:

May I suggest you do a bit more of your homework on the system of Government you have in Nigeria(Have had for the last 30 years at least), to understand why your thinking there is a bit faulty.

Nigeria needs a strong federal Government in much the same way other developed countries you know of do. Yes, states can take on a lot more of the responsibilities but since the vast majority of RESOURCES are controlled by the Federal, there is no denying the fact that without a strong set up at the federal level, states will end up baring more than they can handle.
Re: Ajimobi Declares Free Health Care For Children Under Five by queensmith: 8:53pm On Jun 04, 2011
If anything the federal government have been a major hindrance to the individual states. How much of the countries revenue is distributed among the states?? Something to put in major consideration!

Nothing free lasts forever. Thats where addition of things like healthcare, education, money, food, and water into the governments legislation as a fundamental human right will make sure people never suffer for the lack of nessacities.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Unity And Oneness Of The Old Eastern Region / The Seemingly Insurmountable Odds Against Jimi Agbaje / "Shut Up" Kwankwaso Tells Yoruba Elders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.