Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,814 members, 7,956,080 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:52 AM

Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! (3601 Views)

Buhari’s Anti-money Laundering Bill / Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law / Ex-militants Urge Uduaghan To Sign Anti-terrorism Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by ak47mann(m): 4:03am On Jun 07, 2011
President Goodluck Jonathan has signed the Terrorism (Prevention) Bill, 2011 and the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Bill, 2011 into law.

Both bills were passed by the Sixth National Assembly and conveyed to President Jonathan for assent on Thursday, June 2, 2011.

A statement by the Deputy Director, Information, in the Office of the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Justin Abuah, said Jonathan signed both bills on Friday, June 3, 2011.

The new Terrorism (Prevention) Act, 2011 establishes measures for the prevention, prohibition and combating of acts of terrorism and the financing of terrorism in Nigeria.

It also provides for the effective implementation of the Convention on the Prevention and Combating of Terrorism as well as the Convention on the Suppression of the Financing of Terrorism, and prescribes penalties for the violation of its provisions.

The Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011 repeals the Money Laundering Act, 2004 and makes comprehensive provisions to prohibit the financing of terrorism, and the laundering of the proceeds of crime or illegal acts.

It also expands the scope of supervisory and regulatory authorities so as to address the challenges faced in the implementation of the anti-money laundering regime in Nigeria.

punch newspaper!!!!!!!!
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by OAM4J: 4:12am On Jun 07, 2011
Good one!

One more impressive news to give Obama during his visit. undecided
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by ak47mann(m): 4:17am On Jun 07, 2011
you are right cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by Chyz2: 4:21am On Jun 07, 2011
OAM4J:

Good one!

Exactly. It's funny that he rushed to do this before he meets Obama wednesday. The US was applying pressure on him to do so. What a slave. I guess obama's his boss.
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by efisher(m): 5:05am On Jun 07, 2011
Great move. Nigeria is moving forward.

But, see how quickly some of us are trying to create a negative out of a positive situation. Is it not good for Nigeria that he signed it? Should he have refused to sign simply because he didn't want people to think he is Obama's puppet? Signing the bill into law will go a long way in fighting  terrorism and corruption in Nigeria as we currently face. Are we no longer interested in our security and the fight against corruption? I fear who no fear una!
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by Biscute(f): 7:28am On Jun 07, 2011
He has started his primary duty,. Those who are criticising President Goodluck Jonathan please let him be, bear in mind that crises never make character, if we should start like this we shall not make progress.
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by justwise(m): 7:37am On Jun 07, 2011
I can't really understand some Nigerians, Nigeria should be the first country to sign that bill, do we have money laundry issues? YES!!!! Do we have terrorism issues? YES!!!, so how does signing this bill means obeying Obama's order?

The same Nigeria running their mouth here will blame the president if he did nothing about the chronic crime problems we have in Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by justwise(m): 7:41am On Jun 07, 2011
Chyz*:

Exactly. It's funny that he rushed to do this before he meets Obama wednesday. The US was applying pressure on him to do so. What a slave. I guess obama's his boss.

Some of u need to stop talking rubbish, how does taking steps to fight crime in Nigeria makes him a slave? Many countries have sign that bill years ago, considering Nigeria position in world crime table nobody need to convince Nigeria to sign that bill.
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by lafuria1(m): 7:53am On Jun 07, 2011
was not signing this bill the reason why the could not deal with boko haram? well is a good one, lets wait for action. i hope the level of bombings in the country will reduce by the end of this year.
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by beknown(m): 8:56am On Jun 07, 2011
This is an excellent step in the right direction.

This means that it will be a criminal offence to carry huge cash in 'ghana-must-go' bags to different places without any genuine explanation.

The net is getting tighter against money laundering criminals.

However, I hope the law will not fail in implementation. As we all know, GEJ cannot implement the law himself. He need everybody in the country (police, lawyers, judges, Nigeria customs, etc etc) to make it work.
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by Natasha2(f): 9:09am On Jun 07, 2011
OAM4J:

Good one!

One more impressive news to give Obama during his visit.  undecided
and why did you say this? whether you think its news for Obama or not the guy has done something good,  what would you have done to him if he didn't, please don't be sarcastic  wink
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by dejavus: 9:14am On Jun 07, 2011
beknown:

This is an excellent step in the right direction.

This means that it will be a criminal offence to carry huge cash in 'ghana-must-go' bags to different places without any genuine explanation.

The net is getting tighter against money laundering criminals.

However, I hope the law will not fail in implementation. As we all know, GEJ cannot implement the law himself. He need everybody in the country (police, lawyers, judges, Nigeria customs, etc etc) to make it work.

But we all know that the problem is not GEJ but the people who will Implement the Law, I trust the unpaid Police, jugdes, Custom and Border Officials will look the other once their palm has being Oiled in the event of this happening, All we need now is to Puch for maximum jail term and Confiscation of Assets on any guilty of Such crimes.
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by coolcore: 9:52am On Jun 07, 2011
This one of the social network trends that has lots of fools and insane people someone signed a bill into we still complaining and calling the man names it is high time switched off from this trends rubbishhhhhh
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by otukpo(f): 9:59am On Jun 07, 2011
Some Nigerians and their negativism.
They never appreciate anything good in their own.
It is just to criticize for the sake of criticizing.
i tire for una.
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by MMM2(m): 10:21am On Jun 07, 2011
9ice
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by fineboy200: 11:17am On Jun 07, 2011
Chyz*:

PEOPLE LIKE YOU SHLD BE IN AFGHANISTAN OR PAKISTAN NOT IN A COUNTRY WITH INTELLIGENT CITIZENS. WATCH YOUR STATEMENT, DUMB ASS.
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by Guyman02: 11:30am On Jun 07, 2011
Maybe we should seek for another word to call that bill. The term terrorism has been abused by the Americans for self interest. They created a monster out of a small group of criminals called Alqueda and used it to invade other countries for their resources.
Today they are fighting and destroying multi billion dollar infrastruture in Libya in alliance with the same guys they have been calling terrorists, some of them just released from Guantanamo bay.
With the recent public humiliation of African Union by NATO we have to understand that the imperialists are coming back and Obama is nothing but a white kid who will do the bidding of the multi nationals any day.
GEJ is going to be told by Obama to dump the Petroleum Industry Bill or water it down; and if he does that the people of Niger Delta will continue to live with the present unjust situation
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by pelezico: 12:47pm On Jun 07, 2011
To be fair you should listen to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmjhk2-ynLo&feature=player_embedded

I'm all for reasonable force in dealing with terrorism whether in Nigeria or abroad however we should  be very cautious as the above video warns

What are your thoughts on this?
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by Bensonite: 1:35pm On Jun 07, 2011
I have not seen the bills but I think there should be stiffer penalty for defaulters. The money laundering will be easy if CBN continues it watch on the banks as its currently doing. Gone are the days when unnecassry trafers are made to peronnal account overseas without treacibility. With the cashless transactioned opined by CBN in 2012 it will narrow in on launderers.
As for the terrorism bill to be effective, we need to get new intelligence gathering outfit that will nip in the bud all these unwanted bombings here and there.
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by Kobojunkie: 1:38pm On Jun 07, 2011
OAM4J:

Good one!

You bad ooo!! grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jun 07, 2011
coolcore:

This one of the social network trends that has lots of fools and insane people someone signed a bill into we still complaining and calling the man names it is high time switched off from this trends rubbishhhhhh
Good thing he signed the bill but he did it at the prodding the Americans.Jonathan means well for the country but then he"s quite naive and the americans are going to make good use in exploiting his naivity.PPl who see b/w the lines are not insane so go figure.
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by clays: 2:51pm On Jun 07, 2011
Guyman02:

Maybe we should seek for another word to call that bill. The term terrorism has been abused by the Americans for self interest. They created a monster out of a small group of criminals called Alqueda and used it to invade other countries for their resources.
Today they are fighting and destroying multi billion dollar infrastruture in Libya in alliance with the same guys they have been calling terrorists, some of them just released from Guantanamo bay.
With the recent public humiliation of African Union by NATO we have to understand that the imperialists are coming back and Obama is nothing but a white kid who will do the bidding of the multi nationals any day.
GEJ is going to be told by Obama to dump the Petroleum Industry Bill or water it down; and if he does that the people of Niger Delta will continue to live with the present unjust situation

I agree with you bro.
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by Abuse: 3:36pm On Jun 07, 2011
That very correct. Without this bills signed into law, President Obama will never step into this country. I wish him all the best. This was the same way we close our "WHEAT FARM" because one Nigerian president wanted to visit USA. Fellow Nigerians please open your eyes and don't be happy yet cos something!!!
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by cyril10(m): 11:47am On Jun 08, 2011
Some JEG haters will not stop typing rubbish here, signing a bill into law has made him Obama boy now. When he signed FOI bill into law no body said he signed becouse he wants to please Obama, the last bill signed was done when it was approved by the last senate not becouse he wanted to please Obama as some here want to confuse people out of hate.
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by Ejike3: 1:00am On Jun 09, 2011
I believe the moderator has all the right to delete rubbish post and its quote. My uncle stopped his son from visiting NL because that is where he learn how to criticize everything.
Re: Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! by llexie: 10:15am On Aug 16, 2011
Please do anybody have this document?

(1) (Reply)

Are The Northerners Richer Than All Other Nigerians? True Or False / Randy Pastor Caught In Police Officer's Bedroom In Nnewi / Dangote Signs $3.3bn Loan Agreement To Build Africa’s Biggest Petrochemical & Oi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.