Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme (5224 Views)

Atiku Abubakar Receives His National I.D Card In His Yola Residence. Photos / Atiku And Wife Register For National I.D Card At Thier Abuja Residence / Update On Registration For The New National I.D. Card (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by yahyus(m): 5:04am On Jun 07, 2011
Yet Another National I.D Card Scheme

07 Jun 2011
Font Size: a / A
The Federal Government has again announced plans to commence registration for a biometric identity cards for Nigeria. A major component of the scheme is the establishment of the national identity register, a centralized database of personal information. Each Nigerian registered will be issued a national identification number with nine digits which will be unique to him.

Mr. Chris Onyemenam, the Director General of National Identity Management Commission, the managing agency, said the national identification number would be the basis with which citizens shall interact with the federal, state or local government before services can be rendered. We commend this new initiative after many false starts laden with controversies and scandals.

More than eight years ago, the contract for the National Identity Card Scheme was awarded to SAGEM of France. But after exasperating efforts by Nigerians to register for the scheme, the outcome was dismal and in fact, embarrassing. Many of those that registered were not issued with the National Identity Cards nor numbers to be identified with. The contract itself was dogged with bribery and scandals and the project was abandoned.

After the debacle the NIMC was established and entrusted the responsibility of reforming the identity card scheme. Its mandate includes collecting basic demographic and biometric data, creating, operating and managing a national identity database and providing an on-line/off-line cost-effective verification and authentification infrastructure in Nigeria. The commission was also asked to integrate all the other identity schemes and provide standardized identity attributes by restoring sanity to the sector.

No doubt, the National Identity scheme will bring a sharper and clearer way than the present muddled manner in which we manage our identity as a people.  It will restore order in the nation’s identity card scheme. The country is suffused with multiple identification initiatives by institutions such as Immigration, Federal Road Safety Corps, Pension Commissions, Federal Inland Revenue Service, Independent National Electoral Commission, Financial Institutions, Health Service Providers. We call on the commission to do a thorough job so that all these private institutional efforts are harmonised.

The advantages are many. Biometric identity cards are essential tool of modern business and society. It will increase efficiency in our dealings with the government, private corporations and reduce immigration service bureaucracy at our borders. It will ease identity verification in banks, airlines, insurance agencies and eliminate fraud. Identity fraud has become a major threat in electronic payment environments.  False identifications will be minimized where our identity card is required to access a bank account, like ATM for instance.

What’s more, since all biometric identities contain information such as photographs, finger prints, face and hand, it will make surveillance and identification of criminals easier and thus enhancing the work of law enforcement agents just as it enhances speedy treatment for accident victims as their personal data including blood group are stored in the card. We agree with Mr. Onyenenam when he said that the scheme would “develop and deepen the consumer credit sector, facilitate the enforcement of existing laws and meet global practices”.

But we must warn that this time around, care must be taken so that all Nigerians eligible for the scheme are captured and registered. Besides, it should be a continuous exercise as Nigerians ripe for the scheme are enrolled through constant update.
It is only through such exercise that the huge expenditure budgeted for the scheme will be justifiable and meaningful.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/yet-another-national-i-d-card-scheme/92792/
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by aljharem3: 5:10am On Jun 07, 2011
grin grin grin

walahi nigeria no go kill pesin

another get rich scam wink
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by Kobojunkie: 5:15am On Jun 07, 2011
What a great topic . , YET ANOTHER . . . ROFLMAO!!
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by aljharem3: 5:18am On Jun 07, 2011
Kobojunkie:

What a great topic . , YET ANOTHER . . . ROFLMAO!!

kobo u on point

nice thought of title.
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by naijaking1: 6:28am On Jun 07, 2011
If this is akin to the US SS# system why would any Nigerian be against it
Oh, let me gues some of the potential excuses:

1.Nigeria is not yet developed for such an important scheme.
2. It just cost too much money
3. It will help expose Nigeria's criminally maligned census figures.
4. The ruling party wouldn't like it.
5. Sultan and emirs have issued a fatua condemning the scheme.
6. That money could have been used to send more Nigerians on religious pilgrimage
7. We've tried it before, and found it useless
8. It's useless
9. The office is dominated by people from a rival tribe
10. It's against our religion to issue women such biometric number, because it's against our customs and religion.
Others
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by dejavus: 9:02am On Jun 07, 2011
naijaking1:

6. That money could have been used to send more Nigerians on religious pilgrimage
8. It's useless
10. It's against our religion to issue women such biometric number, because it's against our customs and religion.
Others

Unfortunately this as you said is NOT akin to the US systems, we all know it will never work in Nigeria, not that the ID Card programme itself but we know this is just a way of embezzling more Money!
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by AdamuW: 9:04am On Jun 07, 2011
Interesting. Obviously it's something that needs to be studied carefully. There's pros and cons to such schemes. I don't know enough about it to make a judgement yet. However just because the US and UK etc are going crazy collecting everyone's data doesn't mean we should do the same by default. I do know many citizens in both countries think their governments have gone too far in collecting and monitoring data to the point that it's almost a police state. One only has to look at elements of the U.S. Patriot act to see how dangerous this can be.

So we have to take things step by step and consult with the public. Of course this consultation won't happen by the way. :-)  I know that. I'm just saying that's the ideal thing to do.
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by chibest5(m): 9:12am On Jun 07, 2011
It will be a very good thing if it will work, i believe Nigeria is getting somewhere despite that some unpatriotic Nigerians never see anything good coming out of the country, but at times if God want to lift you up, it comes in a strange manner that might seem confusing but it works at the end. smiley cool
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by octar6: 9:21am On Jun 07, 2011
Nigerians will never stop fallin my hands.d look 4 different legal means 2 steal money.kai,which 1 b dis again. Am yet 2 even see d 1st 1 i did years ago.na wa
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by naijaking1: 9:23am On Jun 07, 2011
AdamuW:

Interesting. Obviously it's something that needs to be studied carefully. There's pros and cons to such schemes. I don't know enough about it to make a judgement yet. However just because the US and UK etc are going crazy collecting everyone's data doesn't mean we should do the same by default. I do know many citizens in both countries think their governments have gone too far in collecting and monitoring data to the point that it's almost a police state. One only has to look at elements of the U.S. Patriot act to see how dangerous this can be.

So we have to take things step by step and consult with the public. Of course this consultation won't happen by the way. :-)  I know that. I'm just saying that's the ideal thing to do.  

For someone who doesn't know enough to make judgement, you surely know too much about why it shouldn't be used in Nigeria.
You sound more like someone basing their argument on #10 above.
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by daywatcher: 9:23am On Jun 07, 2011
Would it help with preparing for the 1015 elections?
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by mbulela: 9:25am On Jun 07, 2011
Government ordained,legeslation backed, get rich quick scam for a privileged few.
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by biyiwilly(m): 9:32am On Jun 07, 2011
it sounds good but implementation nko? lets wait and see,
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by dustydee: 9:36am On Jun 07, 2011
Good idea but execution will be the major challenge. My prediction: some people will be accused of embezzling or misappropriating the funds meant for the scheme.
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by MMM2(m): 9:40am On Jun 07, 2011
dam it
some1 is abt 2 become a billon again.
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by Engen(m): 9:41am On Jun 07, 2011
Some people just like criticism,they just criticized without a viable justifications, this is a good scheme for the benefit of the Nation, if you don't have anything to hide why should you be afraid or skeptical  about a policed state, in the UK all my data can be verified, I dnt have any problem with this because I have nothing to hide,
for years the Northern population has been so difficult to verify and even the south so this will help us a great deal.
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by fasa2020(m): 9:48am On Jun 07, 2011
why complainin about d money to be spent? Are'nt you aware dt billions of naira are wasted yearly on budget due to fake hike censors figures in d country? In fact, this is a welcome idea and i pray God shall lead us through. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by enyojo(f): 9:50am On Jun 07, 2011
[size=14pt]S[/size]ocial [size=14pt]I[/size]nsurance [size=14pt]N[/size]umber

Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition
2 Thessalonians 2:3

ANTI-CHRIST IS AROUND THE CORNER. WHEN EVERY HUMAN IS NUMBERLIZED AND SERIALIZED! THEN THE GLOBAL STAGE  WILL BE PREPARED FOR THE WORLD GOVERNMENT HEADED BY THE MAN OF SIN.

JUST AS YOU HAVE NIGERIAN CODE AS +234, THE GLOBAL NUMBER WOULD BE 666. THE + IN THE 234 MEANS SOMETHING ELSE SHOULD COME BEFORE IT. SO THE 666 THAT WILL BE INTRODUCED WILL BE A MARK THAT EVERYONE WHO SUBMITS TO THE WORLD LEADER WILL HAVE AS A SIGN OF ALLIGIANCE.

TO ESCAPE THIS, YOU MUST ENSURE THAT BEYOND ALL THESE OUR POLITICAL AND EARTHLY STRUGGLES, YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD IS GUARANTEED AND THAT IF RAPTURE TAKES PLACE, YOU WON'T BE LEFT BEHIND
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by airlord: 9:54am On Jun 07, 2011
^^^^smh.
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by Reference(m): 9:56am On Jun 07, 2011
fasa2020:

why complainin about d money to be spent? Are'nt you aware dt billions of naira are wasted yearly on budget due to fake hike censors figures in d country? In fact, this is a welcome idea and i pray God shall lead us through. God bless Nigeria.

Yeah and as a matter of fact if this is the program I'm aware of, this is a private sector initiative and we will be paying for this one not government just like International passports. If its is.
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:08am On Jun 07, 2011
The ID Card program is progressive and over-due. but the FACT of the matter remains, You don't just wake up one lazy sunday morning and decide you will commence Biometric ID cards production/registration in a months time shocked

There is Orientation and Awareness, Feasibility Studies that look at risks for failure and prove and ensure success, there is Government buy-in, there are other stake-holders in terms of government agencies from Security, health, Transportation, Banking etc that need to know how they fit in. It is a laudable project, but we all know that without planning, you have planned to faill. i.e another money guzzling opportunity for party loyalists and corrupt contractors
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by anishe(m): 10:16am On Jun 07, 2011
A good write up to convince intelligent minds but i doubt its workability in Nigeria. The basic social amenities like electricity to back up this laudable project is in shamble. I will advise the govt. to still hold on this and other such projects pending when there will be stable electricity.
My own copy of the last National ID Card is still yet to be delivered to me. may be lost in transit-not sure though.
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by edoyad(m): 10:19am On Jun 07, 2011
Awesome idea, well it's been an awesome idea for a while now, never seems to take off though. The problem now will be ghost citizens, i.e. corrupt officials registering phantom citizens into the database
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by mrofficial(m): 10:25am On Jun 07, 2011
enyojo:

[size=14pt]S[/size]ocial [size=14pt]I[/size]nsurance [size=14pt]N[/size]umber

Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition
2 Thessalonians 2:3

ANTI-CHRIST IS AROUND THE CORNER. WHEN EVERY HUMAN IS NUMBERLIZED AND SERIALIZED! THEN THE GLOBAL STAGE  WILL BE PREPARED FOR THE WORLD GOVERNMENT HEADED BY THE MAN OF SIN.

JUST AS YOU HAVE NIGERIAN CODE AS +234, THE GLOBAL NUMBER WOULD BE 666. THE + IN THE 234 MEANS SOMETHING ELSE SHOULD COME BEFORE IT. SO THE 666 THAT WILL BE INTRODUCED WILL BE A MARK THAT EVERYONE WHO SUBMITS TO THE WORLD LEADER WILL HAVE AS A SIGN OF ALLIGIANCE.

TO ESCAPE THIS, YOU MUST ENSURE THAT BEYOND ALL THESE OUR POLITICAL AND EARTHLY STRUGGLES, YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD IS GUARANTEED AND THAT IF RAPTURE TAKES PLACE, YOU WON'T BE LEFT BEHIND

You're getting it wrong here. I myself have had this thought, tho, I don't support the biometric. But with the Identification card, we'll be able to carry out free and fair election. And also it will curb crime. Do you know when US has been using the SSN?

If this can be carried out with a secure database where your identification number will be checked before you can vote, it will be great. Then it will be bye bye to electoral fraud.
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by naijaking1: 10:26am On Jun 07, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

The ID Card program is progressive and over-due. but the FACT of the matter remains, You don't just wake up one lazy sunday morning and decide you will commence Biometric ID cards production/registration in a months time shocked

There is Orientation and Awareness, Feasibility Studies that look at risks for failure and prove and ensure success, there is Government buy-in, there are other stake-holders in terms of government agencies from Security, health, Transportation, Banking etc that need to know how they fit in. It is a laudable project, but we all know that without planning, you have planned to faill. i.e another money guzzling opportunity for party loyalists and corrupt contractors

Good talk shocked
The people trying to deny this project would never come out to show their true motive, instead they will tell you it'll cost too much, it's useless, etc.
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by Odunnu: 10:43am On Jun 07, 2011
So does this cancel the previous one?
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by member67023: 10:54am On Jun 07, 2011
This is what Fela calls PERAMBULATOR
We are just going round in circles.
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by proudly9ja(m): 11:13am On Jun 07, 2011
The National ID is a MUST for Nigeria. I understand the pessimism shown by many. I am also pessimistic about us gettting it right. But as a Nigerian, I can only pray we get it right this time. Its very important.
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by vinooh: 11:19am On Jun 07, 2011
Oh GEJ,if you do this i go bow 4 u
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by MrResource(m): 11:23am On Jun 07, 2011
na wa ohh,
So it cancels the national i.d i did last year, does it?
Re: Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme by playboy19(m): 12:10pm On Jun 07, 2011
naijaking1:

8. It's useless
Others

naijaking, does the name S. M. Afolabi ring a bell to you? I guess NO.

(1) (2) (Reply)

We Need Newspapers Like 234next In Nigeria. Too Much Is At Stake. / BREAKING!!! Tension As Popular PDP Chieftain Emerges INEC Returning Officer / Andy Uba Fumes Ask Politicians He Bought To Return Back His Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.