Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,296 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:16 AM

My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia (8725 Views)

Metuh Speaks About His Ordeal In The Hands Of EFCC / Suleiman Abba And The Making Of A Partisan Police, By Femi Falana / Night Patrol And Training Of Somali Police By Men Of Nigeria Police Force.(PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by egoldman(m): 12:38pm On Jul 26, 2007
My ordeal in the hands of The Netherlands police, by Osoufia[/color]
By Justin Akpovi-Esade

BARELY two months after the local media lambasted comedian Bright Okpocha a.k.a Basket Mouth for trying to fan the embers of hate between Nigeria and Austria with his alleged accusation of the former as racists in their land, Nollywood actor Nkem Owoh popularly called Osoufia, may have reaped the 'gains' of that seemingly careless joke.

Osoufia at a press briefing in Lagos last week alleged he was a victim of racist attack in faraway Holland where he went for a show with fellow comic Maleke. A celebrity magazine had reported that the comedy actor was deported back to the country in chains after The Netherlands police invaded the Grand CafZ venue of the show at about midnight, midway into the sold out event. "I am here to clarify some reports in the newspapers that have made the rounds recently. Some of the reports either got it all wrong or had some of the facts, but the reason for this gathering is to let the world know what I went through in Holland. Some said I was arrested, that is not correct," the actor began.

He told of how the owner of Grand CafZ, a spot he described as the hangout "of Nigerians, Africans and lovers of Africa in Amsterdam," got in touch with him to come over to do a show which eventually was eventually slated for June 15. All was well, the venue filled to capacity and the show was well on the way "when at about midnight, I was on stage when the police invaded the place. They came in large numbers, over 150 of them. They ordered the show stopped and asked all of us to move to a corner of the hall. I came down from the stage and told the officer that I was the main performer and if there was a problem we could talk about; I was shoved violently to the corner and ordered to leave the hall to the other side of the street. Before then, the officers had distributed leaflets which claimed that Grand CafZ was being used for criminal activities and they were there to fish out the criminals."

The actor who addressed the press in company of his legal adviser said he had no objection with police trying to do their duties such as finding a criminal, but "I believe they should go about it in a dignified manner without trampling on the rights of others. My papers were in perfect order, same for Maleke who I contracted for the show. But the way and manner The Netherlands police went about the whole charade that day smacked of racism. The were so unfriendly, they were pushing and shoving people, including a diplomat from Zambia who came for the show. It was pure racism in action."

At first, the comedian thought his controversial song entitled I Go Chop Your Dollar, which many believed glorified Advance Fee Fraud otherwise called 419, was responsible for his ordeal. The song has gained world popularity especially in the United States and Europe where it is often use as signature tunes for talk shows on 419 as allegedly being perpetrated by Nigerians. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, the nation's anti graft agency, was reportedly not comfortable with the actor's debut album. Rumours had it that the National Broadcasting Commission, NBC placed a Not To Be Broadcast seal on it. So, naturally, Owoh felt it was the same song that "has made the The Netherlands police feel that the King of 419 in Africa is in Amsterdam. But it was not to be, they (police) just needed an excuse to invade the Grand CafZ."

From across the street, the actor watched as Nigerians and others of African descent, about 500, were being frisked and sniffed at by giant police dogs, and were later loaded in trucks and driven away to various detention centres. "What got me mad was the way they manhandled Maleke. I felt bad and helpless as I watched from across the street the way they wrestled Maleke to the floor, cuffed his hands and took him a away like a common criminal simply because he sought for an explanation for the police action."

Osoufia became convinced it was a racist attack when "they started letting go the whites among the crowd. A woman who is from The Netherlands challenged them but she was just ignored and asked to just go. She was really mad from the way she was speaking."

The task of looking for Maleke fell on Osoufia who was further impeded by his lack of knowledge of the language and terrain. "It was a big ordeal to find Maleke as every police precinct we went to, there was no record of his arrest. I could not speak the language and I just must find Maleke because I took him to Amsterdam. It was later in the afternoon that he managed to get a telephone and called my number. He described his location and told us he was simply taken on a ride and abandoned in the middle of nowhere. You see what I mean that the raid was just planned to harass Nigerians and Africans leaving in Amsterdam?"

He immediately lodged a complaint with the Nigerian Consulate General at the Hague, who according to him was not too happy with the development and promised to take it up officially with The Netherlands government. Nkem Owoh had instituted a legal action against the Amsterdam police for what he described as a "gross infringement on his rights". Legal moves are on to free the over 300 people still being held in various detention centres in the city, he said. "The Nigerian community felt really insulted by the affront. They told me that the police there are fond of harassing Nigerians after the claim that former president Olusegun Obasanjo said during one of his visits that the authorities should send Nigerians home as he had jobs for them. I don't know if actually Chief Obasanjo made that statement, I would not want to believe that he did said that anyway. It was after television stations started condemning the action of the police that they started releasing some of the detained people. We also staged peaceful demonstrations on the streets of Amsterdam, which the television stations widely reported, the newspapers too. But there are still about 300 of them in detention as I speak with you who the police said they would deport, for which reason I do not know. It is a pathetic situation."

The Nollywood actor, after his experience, has started a pet project aimed at laundering the image of Nigerians especially in the Diaspora. "The fact that I played I Go Chop Your Dollars does not mean that I support fraud in any way. That song was the sound track of a movie I did. Entitled, The Masters where I outlined the evils of fraud, it was so revealing that I started getting threat letters from fraudsters who claimed I revealed their trade secrets. I am caught in the middle, people are hounding me that I glorified 419 and the fraudsters on their part are angry with me! We are starting a project both here and in Amsterdam that would bring to the fore Nigerians doing great things in various fields of human endeavours worldwide, so that the world would see that Nigerians are good people who are doing great in other fields aside the one the world believes that we are only good at."

President Musa Yar' Adua would soon get the proposal from the actor on how to use Nollywood to launder the image of the country. "We are sending the proposal to the president and other relevant agencies. It is now time to tell the world that Nigerians are not all fraudsters, yes, there are some bad people just like you would find in every society, but the idea of saying that we are all bad, should stop. That is my present mission," he submitted.

Sources: http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/arts/article01/260707
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by egoldman(m): 12:39pm On Jul 26, 2007
What do u feel about this story as a Nigerian ?
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by MILITIA(f): 12:53pm On Jul 26, 2007
Nothing new!!!  I live here abi and I see it everyday!  I am very immune to it I guess as long as I can feed my family.   Since I am not ready to go back to Nigeria. When you are in a foreign country, you become an expert in playing "da mugu"  I love Maleke and Basket mouth!!! Instead of these guys to be quiet and watch---they decided to make some gra gra and "demand explanation" about infringement of rights!!!! grin grin grin grin Maleke--- with your 7ft frame and Fela waist? Poor Oyinbo man go fear now?

You know if a Nigerian is asking a simple question, it looks like they are fighting!  Oyinbo will just hand cuff you if you so much as raise your eyebrow!  Maleke darling---I still love you oh!  Next time do not argue with these people!  I am looking forward to "Night of a Thousand Laughs "part 12. I know you and Bright will have a lot to say about the Oyinbo in Netherlands!!!! grin grin grin grin grin  You guys think you are in "Agbado market abi na Onitsha market"?  Sorry oh!!!! UPPER IWEKA ROAD ABI NA EBINPEJU LANE FOR ALABA MARKET Anyway it is well!!!!!

MALEKE AND BRIGHT I beg make una come Texas now  We will find safe places not suspected for "criminal" hideouts for you to perform!  Please do not bring Osuofia to sing "I Go Chop Ya Dollar EEEEE" here oh! You will all be arrested instantly.  Oyinbo no dey forget insults oh!  They will always wait patiently to humiliate your arse at the best opportunity!  And boy!!!!  Do we always give them a chance or what shocked

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by egoldman(m): 1:06pm On Jul 26, 2007
MILITIA:

Nothing new!!! I live here abi and I see it everyday! I am very immune to it I guess as long as I can feed my family. Since I am not ready to go back to Nigeria. When you are in a foreign country, you become an expert in playing "da mugu" I love Maleke and Basket mouth!!! Instead of these guys to be quiet and watch---they decidede to make some gra gra and "demand explanation" about infringement of rights!!!! grin grin grin grin

You know if a Nigerian is asking a simple question, it looks like they are fighting! Oyinbo will just hand cuff you if you so much as raise your eyebrow! Maleke darling---I still love you oh! Next time do not argue with these people! I am looking forward to "Night of a Thousand Laughs "part 12. I know you and Bright will have a lot to say about the Oyinbo in Netherlands!!!! grin grin grin grin grin You guys think you are in "Agbado market abi na Onitsha market"? Sorry oh!!!!

MALEKE AND BRIGHT I beg make una come Texas now We will find safe places not suspected for "criminal" hideouts for you to perform! Please do not bring Osuofia to sing "I Go Chop Ya Dollar EEEEE" here oh! You will all be arrested instantly. Oyinbo no dey forget insults oh! They will always wait patiently to humiliate your arse at the best opportunity! And boy!!!! Do we always give them a chance or what shocked
Frankly i do not seem to understand what point u are making here , are you saying that osuofia and his guy should be blamed for performing at the show or that the show is illegal ? did you read there that they let off white people who were in that show ?
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by MILITIA(f): 1:35pm On Jul 26, 2007
My point is to make light of the situation first of all so we do not get emotionally worked up for nothing!

Next, you have to understand the customs and traditions of a country before you try to communicate with your host country!!!!  Anywhere you see a police man abroad in this day and age of terrrorism---you co-operate to the fullest or risk some serous humiliation.  Designate a spokes person to represent you instead of acting like you are in a zoo!!!  Everyone shouting and talking at the same time!!!  They will let the whites go of course!!!  What do you think shocked  You think an Oyinbo man will detain a fellow Oyinbo man  Lia Lai!!!  So understand where you are before you act out!!!!!

Next, wait till you are addressed!  DO NOT APPROACH A POLICE OFFICER IN A CROWD!!!! Every one is a potential terrorist!!! tongue

Next, do not raise your voice----BETTER TO ACT DEAF AND DUMB!!!!---So you can be pitied at least!!! cry

Next, If you do not speak the gaddem language, STFU for God's sake. shocked

Next, your arse is black and you are in a white country---no rights to prove oh!!! grin

Now, do you understand my point tongue

Can you imagine a bunch of Nigerians with thick strong accent to the "Dutchie" Oyinbo ears demanding explanation of rights in some "creole" English? shocked We are too used to[b] disorderly conduct.[/b]  We always take this for granted because it means nothing in Nigeria  When foreigners come to Nigeria to work, or visit---how many times do we arrest them? 

They understand us and give us what we want ----like booze, fine girls and boys, free food, heavy bribes and some souvenirs from "abroad"!!! grin  We have to give them the same---Lawfullness,  orderly conduct, co-operation and respect of their culture and traditions!  ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A VISTORS VISA!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin

Most of these Nigerian artistes are so green and misinformed.  When you are invited to perform in a foreign country, they do not bother to check out the reputations of the Resident Nigerians hosting them.  Most are ex-convicts with warrants for arrests!!!  It just happens that the day of arrest coincides with their visits.  Emeka Ika suffered the same fate in this same Amsterdam!!!!
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by egoldman(m): 2:02pm On Jul 26, 2007
MILITIA:

My point is to make light of the situation first of all so we do not get emotionally worked up for nothing!

I don't understand why u see this as "nutting" , am wondering if you would react like this to such stupid and illegal act from the dutch cops had you been the president of Nigeria .
did you read the whole of that article ? like some of the quotes below ;

when at about midnight, I was on stage when the police invaded the place. They came in large numbers, over 150 of them. They ordered the show stopped and asked all of us to move to a corner of the hall. I came down from the stage and told the officer that I was the main performer and if there was a problem we could talk about; I was shoved violently to the corner and ordered to leave the hall to the other side of the street.

The task of looking for Maleke fell on Osoufia who was further impeded by his lack of knowledge of the language and terrain. "It was a big ordeal to find Maleke as every police precinct we went to, there was no record of his arrest. I could not speak the language and I just must find Maleke because I took him to Amsterdam. It was later in the afternoon that he managed to get a telephone and called my number. He described his location and told us he was simply taken on a ride and abandoned in the middle of nowhere. You see what I mean that the raid was just planned to harass Nigerians and Africans leaving in Amsterdam?"
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by angel101(f): 2:04pm On Jul 26, 2007
N a wa o! so what has the Nigerian envoy in the Netherlands done about it?
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by egoldman(m): 2:15pm On Jul 26, 2007
angel101:

N a wa o! so what has the Nigerian envoy in the Netherlands done about it?

Squestion that some Militia should be asking , but she prefer to tell us that ;
Next, your arse is black and you are in a white country---no rights to prove oh!!!

and
Since I am not ready to go back to Nigeria.

as if if those in Nigeria should count themselves as unfortunate , very shameful , just imagine how a dutch person or even the police themselves would feel when they see a Nigerians saying this , really shameful .
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by MILITIA(f): 2:19pm On Jul 26, 2007
egoldman:

I don't understand why u see this as "nutting" , am wondering if you would react like this to such stupid and illegal act from the dutch cops had you been the president of Nigeria .
did you read the whole of that article ? like some of the quotes below ;

when at about midnight, I was on stage when the police invaded the place. They came in large numbers, over 150 of them. They ordered the show stopped and asked all of us to move to a corner of the hall. I came down from the stage and told the officer that I was the main performer and if there was a problem we could talk about;

---------------BIG MISTAKE!! no one asked you to explain anything yet!!!  stay where you are till addressed!!! You are not dealing with Nigerian MOPOLS!!!! grin

I was shoved violently to the corner and ordered to leave the hall to the other side of the street.

--------------Damm right!!!  Where do you think you are  The sight of this our black skin causes hatred in some Oyinbos people---especially the foreign police. You are extremely lucky you were not shot----------all they have to say to cover their butts is that you resisted arrest or you tried to assault them with a deadly weapon--your saliva--by spitting on them!!!! grin

The task of looking for Maleke fell on Osoufia who was further impeded by his lack of knowledge of the language and terrain. "It was a big ordeal to find Maleke as every police precinct we went to, there was no record of his arrest.

----------Hmmmmmmmmmm!!!! Your arse is black and you do not matter to them.  No need wasting time on registering a "non-entity" by using their paper work!!!  If you go to court--your case does not exist!!!!  wink

I could not speak the language and I just must find Maleke because I took him to Amsterdam.

------------------Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh! cheesy Remain calm and let your Nigerian resident host do all the talking since he speaks the language! wink

It was later in the afternoon that he managed to get a telephone and called my number. He described his location and told us he was simply taken on a ride and abandoned in the middle of nowhere. You see what I mean that the raid was just planned to harass Nigerians and Africans leaving in Amsterdam?

-----------------Then let them pack their bags and come back home for better "royal treatment" from Nigerian Police and MOPOLS!!!!!! grin

Let go of the emotional roller coaster please!  I read the article very well!  Now let us get a rep from the "dutchie" police for their own version ok Before you start hemorrhaging with anger!!!! grin  Now pay attention to the bolded texts in you colored right up----  Like I said---MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING!!!!!

If you do not like living abroad ---- please go back home--- the embassies are full of people waiting to take your spot in a second!!!! cool  I have relatives waiting oh please!!!! grin
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by Esss(m): 2:52pm On Jul 26, 2007
My country people. You people cannot wait to jump at the first chance you have to scream racism.

-I can bet you that most of the people in that gathering do not have the correct papers, which makes them illegal immigrants, which is an offence.
-We have a rule in Nigeria which is obey before complain. Why couldnt Osuofia obey a simple order?? What if it was a bomb threat they were responding to?
-They shoved him violently. Many Nigerians which the mopols and police will only shove them violently. If it were in Nigeria He would have recieved the beating of his life.
-The Nigerian Counsular or High commissioner should take action.
-They let the whites go. Ofcourse. If Nigerian police moves to raid a white gathering, they will let the blacks go (irrespective of nationality) and deal with their main priority which in this case was Nigerians (and unfortunately, most of us are black).
-Imagine Osuofia talking to the policeman. "Bia, what is going on here??". Imagine what that sounds like to an average dutch policeman who does not understand hi in english.

I would like to hear their side of the story also.
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by MILITIA(f): 3:15pm On Jul 26, 2007
Esss:

My country people. You people cannot wait to jump at the first chance you have to scream racism.

-I can bet you that most of the people in that gathering do not have the correct papers, which makes them illegal immigrants, which is an offence.

-We have a rule in Nigeria which is obey before complain. Why couldnt Osuofia obey a simple order?? What if it was a bomb threat they were responding to?

-They shoved him violently. Many Nigerians which the mopols and police will only shove them violently. If it were in Nigeria He would have recieved the beating of his life.

-The Nigerian Counsular or High commissioner should take action.

-They let the whites go. Ofcourse. If Nigerian police moves to raid a white gathering, they will let the blacks go (irrespective of nationality) and deal with their main priority which in this case was Nigerians (and unfortunately, most of us are black).

-Imagine Osuofia talking to the policeman. "Bia, what is going on here??". Imagine what that sounds like to an average dutch policeman who does not understand hi in english.

I would like to hear their side of the story also.

Don't mind them!!!! Instead of us to desist from "international agberoism and jagudaism" we are here shouting "racism"!!!

Esss!!!!! I BEG NO KILL ME WITH LAFF THIS MORNING I TAKE GOD BEG YOU!!!! The Nigerian Police will never arrest a "white" man due to colonial complex!!! Instead the Police will detain the "black nigerians" even from their villages to collect bribe for at least one weak!!!! cool cool cool cool cool

egoldman:

Squestion that some Militia should be asking , but she prefer to tell us that ;
Next, your arse is black and you are in a white country---no rights to prove oh!!!

and

as if if those in Nigeria should count themselves as unfortunate , very shameful , just imagine how a dutch person or even the police themselves would feel when they see a Nigerians saying this , really shameful .

Which question Do you have a "Government", not to talk of "kangaroo Consular office"? Like Esss said---charity begins at home please!!! You start and we will follow!!! grin grin grin grin grin Please have no shame!!!! The outside world already knows what we are all about-----NO DOGGONE GOOD!!!!!! tongue
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by Seun(m): 5:17pm On Jul 26, 2007
A [b]link to the source [/b]is required, please. If the source cannot be found, the thread must be deleted. Cheers!
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by egoldman(m): 6:45pm On Jul 26, 2007
So Militia tell me , are u doing Nigeria some good by the way you respond to this thread ?
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by MILITIA(f): 6:55pm On Jul 26, 2007
egoldman:

So Militia tell me , are u doing Nigeria some good by the way you respond to this thread ?

You are still here?  Did you not see that Seun said you should provide a "link" to this your article--or it will be deleted  Please provide a link so my hard-written humorous posts will not be deleted!!!!

Of course I am contributing by providing something to laff at so I do not die young before my time!!!! It is a way to cope with the negative views directed at me by the world as a "Nigerian"!!!! grin grin grin grin grin

Also to accept those things that make us notorious around the world so I can change instead of being in perpertual denial like some of you!!!  I am not "cursed" so I can change!!!!

Finally, to reassure myself that I did not leave Nigeria for nothing!!!  You guys prove everyday that I made the right choice for me and my family!!!!  YOU GUYS CAN NEVER CHANGE!!!  Shame! Shame! Shame! sad sad sad sad sad

Overall, I am doing Nigeria a lot of good be encouraging people to live outside the world to understand what it is to be "human"--Nigeria only teaches people to live like "animals'!!!!!! embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed That is why we are always in trouble inside and outside Nigeria!!!! I AM LEARNING HOW TO BECOME A BETTER NIGERIAN!!!!!!! cool
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by egoldman(m): 7:10pm On Jul 26, 2007
I regret creating this thread , so unfortunate , bye .
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by MILITIA(f): 7:49pm On Jul 26, 2007
Yes oh!!! Bye and may you find peace like I have!!! kiss
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by swing4real(m): 8:33pm On Jul 26, 2007
@MILITIA

Why are you stupid? You sound like someone who is on drug.I believe after wan u don smoke finish u go come here and start acting like a fool
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by spikedcylinder: 9:23pm On Jul 26, 2007
MILITIA:

You are still here? Did you not see that Seun said you should provide a "link" to this your article--or it will be deleted Please provide a link so my hard-written humorous posts will not be deleted!!!!

Of course I am contributing by providing something to laff at so I do not die young before my time!!!! It is a way to cope with the negative views directed at me by the world as a "Nigerian"!!!! grin grin grin grin grin

Also to accept those things that make us notorious around the world so I can change instead of being in perpertual denial like some of you!!! I am not "cursed" so I can change!!!!

Finally, to reassure myself that I did not leave Nigeria for nothing!!! You guys prove everyday that I made the right choice for me and my family!!!! YOU GUYS CAN NEVER CHANGE!!! Shame! Shame! Shame! sad sad sad sad sad

Overall, I am doing Nigeria a lot of good be encouraging people to live outside the world to understand what it is to be "human"--Nigeria only teaches people to live like "animals'!!!!!! embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed That is why we are always in trouble inside and outside Nigeria!!!! I AM LEARNING HOW TO BECOME A BETTER NIGERIAN!!!!!!! cool

Oh my word! Dont you ever EVER call yourself a Nigerian again talk less of trying to say you want to be a better Nigerian. Cover your face in shame and go and hide. If you and your family live like animals, it is your problem, dont give everybody a bad name!

Sheesh! angry
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by naijaway(m): 10:13pm On Jul 26, 2007
@militia, everyone here has been asking what ur point is and u have been rolling around the bush. This is a pure hate crime because if it were another comedian from the US, Europe, or Asia it would have been a big news but because u know he spends naira and acts in naija then he shouldn't ask why they were raiding the event because it is a day and age of terrorism. You are talking as if he didn't go there on a visa they issued him. Is one thing if he went on a ship/boat to that country and you also forget that some of that country's citizens are here till whenever they wish to depart.
We don't owe that country anything worse comes to worse they will deport all the Nigerians from that place. Yar adua should make sure they pay him some compensation so that they learn a lesson. We also need to rapid up naija's development so that we will not be the ones going there. Don't even come with that ur pessimistic view on naija's development because countries around the world have changed rapidly in ten years span, twenty years span etc.
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by Nobody: 3:17am On Jul 27, 2007
whatever u guys think, those comedians are to blame, and i suppose that they cracked a joke to the police, grin and i can imagine that osuofia was high on whatever for him as a guest to challenge the police, cos thats the duty of his host, even ghana no be naija oh! cool but all the same its good for you ehn, you learnt the hard way tongue
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by Chiekezi(m): 3:35am On Jul 27, 2007
I read this thread with dismay, I am disturbed that an injustice like this would become a matter of derision by some of you who seem to have stayed too long in someone elses country. Nigeria teaches people to be animals? IS it the country or is a function of their social conditions. Rather than spouting meaningless soundbites, why don't you come back and do your quota of nation building. I have said this before and I will say it again, THE BEST OF A COUNTRY STAY IN THEIR COUNTRY.

Wherever you are in the worl you have rights!!! Simple!!
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by Pain(m): 3:55am On Jul 27, 2007
I Await The Coming Of The Black Messiah. Spoken Of In The Book of Prophet Bob Marley.

Then The "Captives of Nubia" Shall Be Free. Marley: 7:17 cry cry cry

Jokes Apart. We Have Descended So Low, That The Demarcation Between Whats Proper & Improper Is So Thin That Its Hard To Differentiate.

I Know This Because Most Nijja Brethren Ive Interfaced With Are So Cunning And Not Straight Forward.

The Truth Be told.Thats The Bitter Pill. I Know Many Would Disagree.

As For Oprah Forget Her. She Just One Of Those Empty Daughters Of Nubia. She Puts Up A Show To Hide Her Inner Pain, But The Pain Just Wont Go!

Sometimes I Find It Hard To Categorize Her Ideology. Today Shes For This. Tomorrow Another. I Guess She Has Her Roots in the Bight of Bonny.

Maybe the Discovery That She Isnt From Johannesburg but From Niger Area Pains Her. "Is It Pain You ?" tongue tongue

Its The Bight of Bonny Thing. The Curse of Calypso!!.
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by PawPaw3(m): 10:30am On Jul 27, 2007
If he had stayed in Naija, he would not have had this problem. Lets build a viable country instead of complaining how ill treated we've been.
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by spikedcylinder: 11:13am On Jul 27, 2007
Paw-Paw:

If he had stayed in Naija, he would not have had this problem. Lets build a viable country instead of complaining how ill treated we've been.

So in the process of building a viable country, whatever treatment that is given to us should be accepted?
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by PawPaw3(m): 11:40am On Jul 27, 2007
spikedcylinder:

So in the process of building a viable country, whatever treatment that is given to us should be accepted?
Stop complaining for once in your life.
What am saying is stay in Naija and build it like America and Europe did. We did the same to Ghanaians and they did not complain.
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by egoldman(m): 11:52am On Jul 27, 2007
Paw-Paw:

Are u saying that osuofia should not have gone to perform in Holland ?
Paw-Paw:

Stop complaining for once in your life.
What am saying is stay in Naija and build it like America and Europe did. We did the same to Ghanaians and they did not complain.

American and European Artist like Osuofia do travel to perform outside there country , an artist performing outside his country does not mean he is not helping to build his the nation ,in fact he osuofia is helping to clean the image of the nation by letting the world see that all about Nigeria is not crime and corruption .
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by BABEELOVE(f): 12:38pm On Jul 27, 2007
I think Militia has made some good points here.  Please you guys should look at the article and reason from both sides.  Instead of complaining without recommending better ways that this situation can be avoided in the future!!!!!

Is it not possible that these Nigerians were disorderly?  Why not get both sides of the story if possible and here what made the police act this way.

Most of you remind me of parents who wiill get very angry at teachers or principals in schools for scolding your children.  The first thing you will do is to attack the teacher or principal before asking for an explanation as to what happened.  What kind of examples are you setting for children?

We were not there when this incident occurred, so why do you think you can take it hook, line and sinker?  Please guys, be reasonable and do an investigation properly before you make a decision on what you want to say or do!!!!! It is not impossible that some of the actions of these artistes were misunderstood be the police in the Netherlands. We need to find ways to avoid such embarrasing incidents in the future---PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!!!!!! kiss
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by egoldman(m): 3:16pm On Jul 27, 2007
Yeah i can see where you are coming from ;

I think Militia has made some good points here.

Is it not possible that these Nigerians were disorderly? Why not get both sides of the story if possible and here what made the police act this way.
yeah am sure by your extremely stupid reasoning , Militia have already gotten the other side of the story before she4 posted her utter rubbish here .

read the comments concerning what happened in that show from the person you claimed to have made good points to you :

that is what you call making some points abi ? angry angry angry

i do not know if some people post here for the sake of posting or cos they want to make some points , if you fall into the later then something is seriously wrong somewhere .
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by angel101(f): 3:20pm On Jul 27, 2007
BABEELOVE:

Is it not possible that these Nigerians were disorderly? Why not get both sides of the story if possible and here what made the police act this way.

If this is a yard stick then there will be no football matches anywhere in Europe.
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by desgiezd(m): 4:05pm On Jul 27, 2007
I dont think there is a need to castigate Militia this way. What she has done is to present the facts in a lighter mood. She has also told us that she "escaped" from a system that offers no future. If I do understand her correctly, she would rather let go some human rights and live in an environment where at least some sort of standard of living is guaranteed.

After reading this thread today, I have also watched a post on U Tube and also read an article in The Guardian. I will provide the links to these two sites and Im sure after watching and reading them, our perception of Militia's reaction would be better understood.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mxIzU4KKyWA

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/editorial_opinion/article03
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by BABEELOVE(f): 7:20pm On Jul 27, 2007
desgiezd:

I don't think there is a need to castigate Militia this way. What she has done is to present the facts in a lighter mood. She has also told us that she "escaped" from a system that offers no future. If I do understand her correctly, of standard of living is guaranteed.
she would rather let go some human rights and live in an environment where at least some sort
After reading this thread today, I have also watched a post on You Tube and also read an article in The Guardian. I will provide the links to these two sites and I'm sure after watching and reading them, our perception of Militia's reaction would be better understood.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mxIzU4KKyWA

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/editorial_opinion/article03

I think everyone has a basic right to choose which environment is better for his or her family!!!  I am sure we all love Nigeria regardless of what we say about it.  Sometimes when we express ourselves--we get emotional and the message is often lost!

egoldman:

Yeah i can see where you are coming from ;

yeah am sure by your extremely stupid reasoning , Militia have already gotten the other side of the story before she4 posted her utter rubbish here .

read the comments concerning what happened in that show from the person you claimed to have made good points to you :

that is what you call making some points abi ? angry angry angry

i do not know if some people post here for the sake of posting or because they want to make some points , if you fall into the later then something is seriously wrong somewhere .
----------AND WHAT ABOUT YOU?

Listen!!! And Listen good!!!  Or should I say read and read good!!! I am not Militia that you chose to disrespect at every turn in your life because you have nothing better to do with your time.  I never called your reasoning "stupid" and you better watch what you are writing to fellow people like you on this thread.  I really could not care less if you started the thread. 

All I am saying is that do not address me and use the same word "stupid" in the same sentence.  You need to learn some manners ok? You also need to respect other peoples' views because the whole world has never revolved around you and never will.  That is Militia's opinion and just like yours I have no problem with it.  DO NOT USE INSULTIVE WORDS ON OTHERS!!!!! We can comment on each others' write-ups amicably without all this frustration. If you do not like it then ----------- step!!!!

angel101:

If this is a yard stick then there will be no football matches anywhere in Europe.

Yup!!! That is why you are you and I am me!!!!!  We can have different opinions and not a wrong or right situation----It is a matter of choice.  Do not have to agree with you and you do not have to agree with me!
Re: My Ordeal In The Hands Of The Netherlands Police, By Osoufia by beetintin(m): 7:28pm On Jul 27, 2007
egoldman,

In the first place, why did you start this thread? To have evrybody tow your line and
start screaming racism?

So no one has the right to disagree with you or what? Do you think Osuofia has any
good rep abroad? I was so ashamed to read comments about his song in a New York
paper last year. he has a bad rep and his appearance anywhere in a whiteman country
will attract some attentions. Get that straight man.

You can scream racism to heavens and your noise won't move any ant.

Let us get our acts right and people will be able to treat us right. cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Police Arrests Year-old Baby In Benue State / Breaking News: Supreme Court Sacks Kebbi Gov, Orders Fresh Election / Twenty Die In Abia Scooping Fuel From Fallen Tanker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.