Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

Militants Blockade Umunze-ogbunka-owerre Ezukala Road - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Militants Blockade Umunze-ogbunka-owerre Ezukala Road (2771 Views)

Obiano Commissions Anambra Mdgs-cgs Water Supply Scheme At Umunze / Biafra Protest In Igweocha Holds Sway Amidst Heavy Army Blockade. / Nigeria Embassy In Dublin Ireland Under Blockade As Biafrans Protest-pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Militants Blockade Umunze-ogbunka-owerre Ezukala Road by Afanna1: 12:24am On Jun 09, 2011
[b]
L-R: Abia State Governor, Chief Theodore Orji; his wife, Chief Mercy Odochi Orji; and Nigerian international footballer, Mr. Kanu Nwankwo, at the Governor’s Lodge after the interdenominational thanksgiving/dedication service for Abia State  at  the Umuahia Township Stadium…recently.

Armed militants, allegedly sponsored by wealthy individuals from Ogbunka community in Orumba South Local Government Area, Anambra State, have blockaded the Umunze federal highway, leading to Owerre-Ezukala, a border town linking the state to other South-East states.

Owerre Ezukala, also in Orumba South, is a border town to Isuochi in Abia State and Awlaw in Enugu State.

It was gathered that the militants are taking advantage of bumps at the Ogbunka axis of the expressway to attack Owerre Ezukala indigenes over a lingering land dispute between the two communities.

Those from Owerre Ezukala who have fallen victim to the hoodlums in the past few days include Ugochukwu Aladike, Chiemerie Onwumere, Linus Orji, Okechukwu Abasiri, Fidelis Okafor and Raphael Chukwusiri.

No fewer than four of the victims sustained gunshot injuries during their encounter with the militants, who also razed down a building at Boys Secondary School, Owerre Ezukala.

Narrating his ordeal in the hands of the hoodlums before journalists, Aladike said that he was rushing to Umunze and on approaching the former St. Paul’s Ikpebu, he saw some boys numbering about eight, who were armed with pump action double barrel guns.

He narrated: “When I was coming, I saw them crossing the road from left side to right side as if they are approaching Boys Secondary School, then I applied the break of my motorcycle.

“When I wanted to move, they rushed me and opened fire on me as if they were shooting an armed robber. The first bullet pulled out my side mirror. I turned, and they continued firing, and I swerved from right to left but they caught me on the leg. I drove to Boys Secondary School and told people what happened to me. Then I went to police to report and get extract to go to hospital and treat myself,” Aladike said.

Orji whose injury still looks fresh, said the militants, who were led by one Arinze, popularly known as Idi Marshal, laid ambush under a cashew plantation, from where they came out to attack him.

According to him, Marshal met me near the cashew trees and said that they would deal with me that they had ignored Owerre Ezukala people enough.

He said the militants caught him and told him to move, but as soon as he moved, Marshal shot him on the leg from very close range.

Orji said he crawled on the pool of his blood from the point he was shot, back to his home.

Recalling his own encounter, Okafor, a teacher, said that he was driving with his wife in his Nissan Sunny car when they ran into the hoodlums at one of their road blocks along the expressway and on identifying himself as an indigene of Owerre Ezukala, they pounced on him.

The indigene of Ogwuada village said the militants manhandled him before his wife and dragged him into a bush where he was kept until daybreak when he regained his freedom.

Okafor disclosed that his Nissan Sunny and other valuables in the car were yet to be recovered.

Hillary Ukomadu, the vice principal of the Boys Secondary School, disclosed that the burnt building accommodates the principal’s office, classroom, library and laboratory.

Ukomadu said that they finished studies in the morning on the fateful day, only to discover in the night that the building has been burnt.

He said: “Before then they have been shooting to scare students away and now they burnt the school.

“We reported to Commissioner of Education, Kay Onyechi. She told us to make a report, which we have done but nothing has happened. Our students who started their exam are taking exam at the primary school with hired benches,” Ukomadu lamented.

On what must have prompted the arson in the school, he said: “We are aware of dispute between two communities but the deputy governor has set up committee to look into it.”

Reacting to the mayhem, Prince of Owerre Ezukala, **Ezedioramma** Joel Madu, regretted that the Ogbunka community was not behind the violence against his people, but a few disgruntled elements from Awuka Ogbunka who want war instead of peace.

Madu, who maintained that the land in dispute (Ozu Nkputu) belongs to his community, said that the perpetrators should be able to know what peace could bring to both communities, rather than causing confusion for selfish interests.

He condemned the cases of violence and rape recorded lately over the land dispute, especially along the expressway and therefore called on the state government to intervene and stop those hoodlums from attacking innocent citizens.

Efforts to hear from the Ogbunka side proved abortive as at press time.[/b]

http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=35182
Re: Militants Blockade Umunze-ogbunka-owerre Ezukala Road by ikuku(m): 12:24pm On Jun 25, 2011
THIS REPORT IS SKEWED. I HEARD THAT THE OWERRE-EZUKALA HAVE BEEN USING THE DEPUTY GORVERNOR WHOSE WIFE IS FROM THEIR PLACE TO INTIMIDATE OGBUNKA COMMUNITY.

THIS IS SOME 18TH CENTURY droppings. THEY SHOULD ALL GO TO HELL WITH THAT silly INTER COMMUNAL FIGHTING, THIS IS 2011! IT IS PATHETIC TO SEE EDUCATED FOLKS FROM BOTH COMMUNITIES ENGAGING IN THIS KIND OF BACKWARD ATTITUDE.
Re: Militants Blockade Umunze-ogbunka-owerre Ezukala Road by cbravo2: 9:10pm On Nov 03, 2016
ENTREPRENEURSHIP DEVELOPMENT PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS. (A CASE STUDY OF LINER VEGETABLE OIL UMUNZE ORUMBA SOUTH LOCAL GOVERNMET AREA, ANAMBRA STATE).

http://www.bravoprojecthelp.com/accountancy/entrepreneurship-development-problems-and-prospects/
Re: Militants Blockade Umunze-ogbunka-owerre Ezukala Road by dukechilezie(m): 9:11pm On Nov 03, 2016
Why should I get involved in things like this.

(1) (Reply)

Ume-ezeoke, Second Republic Speaker, Dies / Lekki Roads - One Of The Many Good Legacies That Will Be Left By Fashola / Jonathan Is From The East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.