Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,370 members, 7,836,500 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community (25141 Views)

What created God ? A Response To Atheist Question / As An Atheist Would You Circumcise Your Male Children? / Atheist Come Here And Reason With African Traditional Faithful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by KingAzari: 6:20am On Nov 27, 2021
Only a fool says there's no God.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Mavrick2012: 6:20am On Nov 27, 2021
H
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by MrHighSea: 6:20am On Nov 27, 2021
Most are hypocritic at this point to avoid outlash from family and society.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Nobody: 6:20am On Nov 27, 2021
Sonicroyel:
The Nigerian version of Christianity is the cause of all these..
And the bulk 9f that figure lies in Benin those men no believe anything.

But rather than atheists I'll say the 900k are mostly agnostics

I'm rather doubtful of that. Most atheists say they just don't believe in a God or god's.

They don't all blame religion for their lack of belief.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Nobody: 6:22am On Nov 27, 2021
Nezzjnr:
You won't blame them though... Our religious leaders are now using religion to cash out... We've a lot of Fake Clerics out there.

That's why it's better to just Read your Bible/Quran and look up to God/Allah always... If you look at the Lifestyle of some of these Clerics, You'll just be discouraged.

We aren't meant to do so in the first place
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by tboydbrave(m): 6:22am On Nov 27, 2021
In a country whose population is about 200 million. I wouldn't doubt that stat at all. They may even be more. A lot of people are not so keen on Christianity or lslam as u may believe.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by iramure(m): 6:23am On Nov 27, 2021
Truth be told. Majority of the self acclaimed Christians or Muslims are indeed very Fake and they constitute a very terrible nuisance to themselves and the public.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Nezzjnr: 6:23am On Nov 27, 2021
backbencher:

We aren't meant to do so in the first place
Do what??
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by nathdim: 6:24am On Nov 27, 2021
How would you classify someone who believe in humanity and love but doesn't have anything to do with religion

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by HIbreed(m): 6:25am On Nov 27, 2021
Why would any sane human believe in a God? I left around 2014 but was baptised full full in late 2015. Looking back, the idea of God is archaic. Tufia!

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by orisa37: 6:25am On Nov 27, 2021
I AM NOT SURPRISED. THE ENTIRE SOUTH OF NIGERIA BELOW RIVERS NIGER AND BENUE HAS BEEN UNSOLICITEDLY AMBUSHED BY BMF-BOKOISWA AND RIFA-RUGA ISLAMISATION FULANISATION AND ANARCHY.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Nobody: 6:26am On Nov 27, 2021
Why are atheists always hiding, some even goes to church to save face,you hardly come across them in reality but they are very defensive and active only online

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by iLoveYouToo(m): 6:26am On Nov 27, 2021
Namnam:

Checked stats online

Jews 5900? Big lie, there are at least 20,000 active Jews in the SE

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Nobody: 6:26am On Nov 27, 2021
Nezzjnr:

Do what??

Idolize clerics of our religion.

As a Christian, I always think our goal should be to draw closer to God, not look up to Pastor. Pastor is a man like any other.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by HIbreed(m): 6:27am On Nov 27, 2021
KingAzari:
Only a fool says there's no God.
And the wise man says it out loud

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by TemmyT002(m): 6:27am On Nov 27, 2021
900thousand. That's hilarious.

All the Nigerian atheists I know are mumu people who traveled abroad and returned or still overseas and think they have sense and are smarter than other people.
All they know is how to abuse people and curse.
They have no respect or hometraining.
All they like is abusing pastors and blame religion for all their problems.
They bear Christian and Muslim names but they can change their religion but can't change their religious names.
All they like is sex, bad songs, smoking, drinking and making jest of religious people even though all they know, they learn from religious parents and teachers and they also work for religious people.
When they have sex or they get into trouble, they shout 'God'. Despite all the proofs, they believe there is no God.
The Bible was right about them.
Whenever they hear someone mention God, they start abusing God even though they claim he doesn't exists. Bunch of confused people.
"For the fool thought in his mind, there is no God."
Another name for Fool is Mumu or Ode. And this is not an insult.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by segunelijah01: 6:27am On Nov 27, 2021
''only the fool would say there is no God''. There is one God, Jesus is His name. He shall reign, His Kingdom and Dominion will never come to an end. Only the sin-free christians (saints) will reign with Him. Amen.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Mavrick2012: 6:27am On Nov 27, 2021
theantidote:
Community of fools
How could a wise person look at everything around us and claim they came into existence on their own
are you aware that these your "wise persons" who believe in God are more in poverty society while the "unwise" atheist are more in saner societies?

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by femi4: 6:27am On Nov 27, 2021
Namnam:
The atheists of Nigeria are 900 thousand people currently and growing especially as more Nigerians move to the cities and as public security starts cracking down more and more on jihadism and fundamentalist Islam as time passes means Nigeria is gonna become increasingly secular as time passes. Thoughts on this trend?
Dream on
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by iamkneeyi: 6:28am On Nov 27, 2021
The Despodent mother did a bit right...church mosque is better than gutter and waste bin..
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by HIbreed(m): 6:29am On Nov 27, 2021
Iyaebe:
Why are atheists always hiding, some even goes to church to save face,you hardly come across them in reality but they are very defensive and active only online
dem plenty oo. Start any religious debate in your street and one will show up. Happened to me many times.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Xbee007(m): 6:29am On Nov 27, 2021
nathdim:
How would you classify someone who believe in humanity and love but doesn't have anything to do with religion
Humanist

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Nobody: 6:29am On Nov 27, 2021
Iyaebe:

Because religious people like us abuse, insult, deride , persecute, and in some instances jail them.

And it has to stop. Whether a person believes in God or not is none of my business. I can preach to him the word of salvation, but if he regards my message as rubbish so be it. Life goes on. If I try to force it, I am merely satisfying my ego, rather than serving God

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by femi4: 6:30am On Nov 27, 2021
Mavrick2012:
are you aware that these your "wise persons" who believe in God are more in poverty society while the "unwise" atheist are more in saner societies?
Another foolishness

You think believing in God is about wealth and acquiring possessions

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Crafteck1: 6:30am On Nov 27, 2021
Namnam:
The atheists of Nigeria are 900 thousand people currently and growing especially as more Nigerians move to the cities and as public security starts cracking down more and more on jihadism and fundamentalist Islam as time passes means Nigeria is gonna become increasingly secular as time passes. Thoughts on this trend?

Christians are also atheist, they just dont know it yet, laslas na their g.o wey dey do no wrong dem de worship. They bow to an image of jesus who is a movie character.... As my friend said, politicians and religious leaders have one thing in common, THEY WEAPONISED POVERTY

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Mavrick2012: 6:31am On Nov 27, 2021
Realtalk20:
[s][/s]

Hungry is causing it. When you are wretched and hungry and frustrated you become angry at everyone and everything. You curse your parents , you curse your debtors and those who you are owing money too. You curse your lineage and country and finally your curse your creator and suddenly stop believing in anything due to a rumbling empty stomach grin

All these so called atheists are hungry broke wretched souls who have tried to borrow money from everywhere no one helped them. They went from Christianity to Islam and back n forth looking for money to rent a one room to sleep in.

Finally one guy is claims to be an atheist gave them 2k to eat which looks like 1 billion to them and immediately they join and start ranting that do called Christians and Muslims and evil ... All because of 2k shocked
sir,are you away that most atheist are in developed countries, while most religious people are in poor countries

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by ThinkSmarter: 6:32am On Nov 27, 2021
This is how some of us that were born in into Christianity have started to reason of recent

The man/deity called God.
First of all, let's list the attributes of the Biblical God called Yahweh, Elohim or Jehovah
God is a man according to the Bible.
God is always ascribed with the masculine personal pronoun HE.
The Bible says that God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent.
The Bible and Quran described God as the most compassionate or most merciful.
But, as they say action speaks louder than voice.
Right from the garden of Eden.
God have proved otherwise and in many other scenarios in the Bible.
From the creation story in the Bible.
God is not the most powerful.
Angel Lucifer outsmarted God.
God lied to Adam and Eve that they will definitely die when they eat of the fruit of good, knowledge and evil.
God said to his fellow Gods, let's drive man away from the garden of Eden because he has eaten the fruit and have become wise like us (gods)
So that he will not eat from the tree of life and live forever.
God never had good intentions for mankind with those statements attributed to him.
God is not everywhere, God is not all powerful, God is not all knowing.
Cuz if he is, he should have known ahead of time what Angel Lucifer could do.
He should have stopped him if he is all powerful.
He shouldn't have left the garden of Eden since he is every where.
Common!, the Bible stories are just but a fairy tale that can only be taken seriously by sheeples.
God of the Bible is a blood thirsty deity that is hot tempered and kills at little provocation.
He is a dictator.
It takes a mere human like Moses to persuade the angry God to come down in his show of anger and brutality.
He ordered the killing, maiming of vulnerable people like the aged, women, children and physically challenged.
He encouraged rape and violence against women.
Read the Book of Numbers if you think that I am lying.
God of the Bible used venomous snakes to torment and kill people.
He strikes people that try to challenge his authority with illness and death.
Why am I writing this?
Do I intend to spite any one or group of people by doing this?
No, I am constrained by an inner force to write to my generation.
And to that, I appeal to my family and friends to forgive me for not living up to their expectations.
It's not my doing, that despite my strong Christian background, I still deviated and speak against what majority of the populace hold of high esteem.
I also want to use this medium to implore to all and sundry to take cognizance of my freedom of thoughts and beliefs as enshrined in the universal fundamental human rights.
The Bible actually contributed to my spiritual awakening.
Know that the Bible is a collection of Religious myths, history, religious rituals, hallucinations and magic.
Lucifer is described as the most beautiful and intelligent of God's creations but when the white man brought religion to you, they depicted Lucifer as a Black horned monster just to ridicule Black people.
U got the racism inspired Christianity?
I know that God is a figure invented to solve the mystery behind creations.
But invoking God as central figure behind the creations will lead to another intelligent questions like :
Who created God?
Where did God come from?
Who have ever seen God?
Can God come out of nothing?
Is God really in Charge?
Or that natural forces are behind all the weather, climate changes we witness in our planet?
How can the tower of Babel be real?
How many meters of structure can humans be able to raise?
With what technology was the tower of Babel built with?
Where are the ruins of such magnificent structure?
Remember, when the Bible was written, they were no telescope, no spaceship, no cars, no aeroplane, no idea of space, other planet/ planetary bodies .
People had always thought that the sky is made of crystal stones until science discovered that it was really empty.
First of all, what supports life here on earth.
Soil, air, water, sun, force of gravity and other invisible forces are the physical conditions necessary for life to thrive here.
Get rid of water from the planet and life will cease to exist, same applies to air.
U see, we can't really explain as to how intelligent life, flowers, plants, animals of different varieties started from scratch, but invoking an invisible creator deity won't solve the mystery.
So, the Yahweh of the Bible is not different from any other gods found in all regions of the world.
Superstition begot myth and myth begot religion.
Nothing is really hidden.
Nature didn't conceal anything.
It's just that we have little understanding.
We truly have eyes but can't see, we have ears but can't hear.
My people perish for lack of knowledge.
Let me burst your bubble.
Jesus Christ tried to liberate his people from religious grips.
The Elites (Roman Rulers, scribes and the Pharisees) used religion to instil fear and control the masses.
But when Jesus Christ returned from India at the age of 30, remember he left around age 12 after the passover.
He is an ascended master
He joined group of merchants and traveled East to Nepal and India where he got more educated on Eastern philosophy.
Remember Sadhauta Gautama (Buddha) was born in India many years before the birth of Jesus Christ.
And Buddhism have spread wide in the South East Asia.
Jesus Christ got so much infuriated about the way the people were burdened with heavy religious rules and rituals.
Today, bring pigeon, tomorrow bring a bull, next other time bring your 1st son and first born animals.
Jesus Christ really liberated the people but they twisted his message in order for them to continue enslaving the people through religion.
He tried to enlighten them and liberate them, this got the Pharisees infuriated and they used his frequent saying that he is a God to accuse him of blasphemy.
Just so you know, Jesus Christ was a Jewish by religion/tradition
Though his teachings slightly deviated from the Fundamental doctrines of Judaism.
Hence, was asked severally by the scribes and Pharisees "Whether he came to uphold the law or condemn it"
He tried to separate the people from Religious yokes.
He told the people that they don't need the priests or any rituals but a pure heart to access the cosmic energy.
And that was when he mandated people to go into their houses, lock it up and pray silently (meditation) not shouting in the market places like the Pharisees (Religious show offs)
Jesus Christ was actually a Jewish man by tradition/religion.
But he is an enlightened being, he got extra sensory perceptions and powers.
His teachings contradicted that of Judaism, hence the contradiction between the Old and the New Testaments of the Bible.
And that's why many passages of the old testament are not read in the church.
The truth is that the God of the Bible that is good some cases and evil in some cases is not the God that most Christians believe today.
The God that most Christian believe is a perfect God, that is all good, with no evil.
This is just but a mental construct of God in our heads which is nothing but a mere fiction.
And if you look deeply with unbiased mind, you will realize that man actually invented God after his own image and likeness.
Having realized that he, man is the only dominant creature in the world in times of intelligence which have made him to develop languages/writings, build civilizations, invent technologies.
All these advantages over other creatures made man to conclude that God is likely like him.
In my next write up, " The Religion Shield"
I will explain how people have been compelled not to ask questions concerning Religion as a way to Shield it from Scrutiny.
Religion is built on falsehood, Conspiracy and ignorance.
Truth is coherent and logical.
U don't struggle to defend the Truth.
Cuz the truth is always convincing
The universe is orderly.
The Universe is Conscious
Nothing is Concealed.
Seek, you will find.
Ask, and you shall be given.
Open your mind to nothing but the truth.
Get rid of emotions and sentiments.
And you will be close to enlightenment.
No tragedy will befall you for asking curious questions concerning your faith.
The same way that God lied to Adam and Eve that they will die is the same way that Religion lie and threaten you not to ask questions for fear of tragedy or misfortune befalling you.
The truth is that you, asking thought provoking questions about religion will awaken you to the truth and religion will lose its value and grip on you.
Know the truth and truth shall set you free.
#CuriousMind #Revealing the #Truthfulness in #OurPlanet

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Kobicove(m): 6:32am On Nov 27, 2021
Ammishaddai:
Keep dreaming . The average Nigerian is religious so it's only God that knows where you got this figure from .

Speak for yourself!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Fiscus105(m): 6:33am On Nov 27, 2021
Atheist online and perhaps by day but visit pastor, Alfa and babalawo in secret.

Less than 1% of naija that dnt biliv in higher spiritual power.

Infact among Christian and Muslim, more than 60% still attached to African supernatural power, not to talk of alien and imagination atheist

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Sonicroyel: 6:34am On Nov 27, 2021
backbencher:

I'm rather doubtful of that. Most atheists say they just don't believe in a God or god's.

They don't all blame religion for their lack of belief.

Most Nigerians believe in a higher power not necessarily God or gods but they acknowledge that something is responsible for the cosmos

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Kobicove(m): 6:34am On Nov 27, 2021
Namnam:

Our atheist community has only existed since 2014 and it went from 1 to 900k in less than a decade

So you want to tell me that Nigeria with a population of over 200 million people has a population of just 900,000 atheists?

By the way how did you arrive at this figure?
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Akhee: 6:34am On Nov 27, 2021
Namnam:

Checked stats online
Even Sikhism too? Nawaoo. This just bullshit. Western Union trying to divide our country by religious bigotry.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? / "Stop Complaining" - Pastor Adeboye Tells Nigerians / Choristers Refuse To Attend Member's Burial Because He Owed Choir Dues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.