Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,106 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:45 AM

Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? (24934 Views)

Pastors And Controversies...kumuyi's Example / Kemi Olunloyo: Pastors And Their Aspirations To Be Like Jesus / Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Poliporpor(m): 9:58pm On Sep 09, 2016
After an argument in church resulting from "call me mommy and I am older than you”, I have been having this curiosity, why are pastors now called “Daddy” and their wives “mummy?” personally, I do not believe that it is right to address a pastor as “Daddy”. Like pastor is not enough respect to someone who teaches the Bible? Jesus was called "Teacher" and not Daddy. Is there any bible verse to wrong my thought or are we now adopting our own style of Christianity? And why would a pastor even accept such a title when our father in heaven is also addressed as such?

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by ministeriallist: 10:07pm On Sep 09, 2016
I wonder why they don't obey Jesus command in Matthew 23:9.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Poliporpor(m): 10:28pm On Sep 09, 2016
Thank you very much for this Bible verse. I never knew it existed i just checked it. Matthew 23:9 And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. But the pastors read this verse in the Bible, then why do they accept when people cal them that?
ministeriallist:
I wonder why they don't obey Jesus command in Matthew 23:9.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by abat4real37(f): 10:30pm On Sep 09, 2016
i wonder o, and they will be forming.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by sonofluc1fer: 10:42pm On Sep 09, 2016
Because only Daddy can collect the money the Lord gave you.

108 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by freakyben: 10:44pm On Sep 09, 2016
Is ah African alternative Christian lifestyle. Is wrong to call any man your father if he is not truly your biological or adopted (guardian) father. Africans infuse traditional beliefs into Christianity.

Lalasticlala, mood44, moderator we need change 2016.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by ifenes(m): 11:41pm On Sep 09, 2016
Too bad they call them Mummies and Daddies. The main reason why the gullible followers do exactly what they say without questions.

If you call them Mummies and Daddies,it means they can spend from the offering as much as they like,you will never think they can be wrong and basically untouchable. Anyone wonder why Pastors take their members for granted.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by ministeriallist: 4:33am On Sep 10, 2016
Poliporpor:
Thank you very much for this Bible verse. I never knew it existed i just checked it. Matthew 23:9 And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. But the pastors read this verse in the Bible, then why do they accept when people cal them that?
The fact is, true Christians obey God's commands as found in the Bible. They don't use high sounding title for their leaders. If you read the remaining verses, you will see the difference between true christianity and counterfeit ones.
True Christians actually obey Jesus commands including the one found in Matthew 28:19,20.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by lastmessenger: 12:05pm On Sep 10, 2016
The only peOple who deserve such title is my parents

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by GoodBoi1(m): 12:27pm On Sep 10, 2016
I think is a mixture of culture with christianity.

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by 2special(m): 12:38pm On Sep 10, 2016
Am sorry o bt are u SURE u are a christain cos lots of threads like this is always from those terrorist disguising as christian and Whatever u like u call ur pastor or alfa,there are better issues to bother you....the bible instruct us to "Look unto Jesus,the author and Finisher of our Faith" If you keep looking at others the way they practise their christianity,you may be diverted...Jesus is Lord!

11 Likes

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Poliporpor(m): 1:52pm On Sep 10, 2016
i should ask you the question rather. so Jesus apostles did not ask Jesus questions to know? why e be say when person ask question e go be like say the person day challenge God? if you are really a Christian then clear me up. no one is looking at how people practice. i am teeling what happened in church between pastor wife and one elderly woman way cause argument you are telling me if am looking at others. if you are bringing tradition into church then why not we focus on traditional religion make we no where we day face? anybody way ask question u go call am terrorist that is a cheap attack when you have no answer. i dont fall for that. you self you are not a christian cos you cannot defend christian doctrines.
2special:
Am sorry o bt are u SURE u are a christain cos lots of threads like this is always from those terrorist disguising as christian and Whatever u like u call ur pastor or alfa,there are better issues to bother you....the bible instruct us to "Look unto Jesus,the author and Finisher of our Faith" If you keep looking at others the way they practise their christianity,you may be diverted...Jesus is Lord!

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by ajaniade004: 2:23pm On Sep 10, 2016
2special:
Zombie alert

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by weblord1900: 2:42pm On Sep 10, 2016
Hmm
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by princevinco(m): 2:52pm On Sep 10, 2016
You should differentiate between physical fathers and spiritual fathers. Any man or woman who is feeding you spiritual food like pastors are your spiritual father irrespective of his or her age even if you are older.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Sep 10, 2016
If you truly want freedom by the word of God then you must be unbiased and open to God's word.
Number one Issue is this: It was never God's plan to hand over the Ecclesia(what we call church) to pastors but to Christ himself. Pastoral ministry is one of the five fold gifts (Ephesians 4:11,12). Christ gave gifts and gave some the pastoral gift. It was never a title in the early church but the work of ministry for edification.
However, there must be older spiritual brethren in the gatherings of the called out ones who will take care of the younger believers (KJV mistranslated lot of things). Jesus said "the princes of gentiles exercise Lordship over each other but it shall not be so among the believers, believers are servants of each others" (see Matthew 20:26). The idea in 1 peter 2:13 that those who have AUTHORITY OVER YOU is a misinterpretation. The Greek word is "proistemi" which means to stand before, lead, showing forth". To avoid error, we must interpret it in the light of what Christ has said. The sent one (Peter) admonished them to yield to the leading of the older spiritual brothers who show forth an outstanding example. He never preached a delegated authority here.
When you check Titus and Timothy that preachers use to before the delegated authority. The ordination in Titus 2 was wrongly translated. The Greek word is "Cheirotoneo" which means 'to point out'.. Vine dictionary of Greek wrote "not an ecclesiastical ordination in view". Paul told Titus to point out spirituality mature brethren for other believers to see. This brothers will take care of the brethren by feeding them with the word of counsel and point them to Jesus who has authority over them. They are like efferent nerves in the body who will transmit the impulse from higher centre.
I am opening a thread to discuss elaborately as God helps.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by ireneony(f): 3:48pm On Sep 10, 2016
More reason i don't like Nigeria churches. .

U will see an elder kneeling down to greet the so called mummy and daddy.
so pathetic grin

Modified

That was how one student pastor told me to kneel whenever i want to greet him n my pastor . .i was told him bluntly "i don't kneel down to greet at home..so why should i do opposite outside"
I wanted to insult him that day

The truth is most Nigerians have high service atitude

12 Likes

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by JaneDoeNg: 3:54pm On Sep 10, 2016
h
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Yinkatolu: 3:54pm On Sep 10, 2016
I'm sure they never forced you to call them that

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Sep 10, 2016
Only orphans call them that.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by tintingz(m): 3:54pm On Sep 10, 2016
Because they(Pastors) want their members to see them as Demi-gods/goddess.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by PrinceAbinibi: 3:55pm On Sep 10, 2016
thank you for taking this guy to fp he would have derailed every conversation tongue Thanks lala
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by herzern(m): 3:55pm On Sep 10, 2016
What Jesus meant was that

"Fatherly respect/attribute should only be directed to God".......

So...now...

Start callinq your bioloqical parent...."Mr & Mrs"....

#Nonsense....

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Scholar8200(m): 3:57pm On Sep 10, 2016
smiley
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by NNVanguard(m): 3:57pm On Sep 10, 2016
When people who are called as ministers enmesh their selves in pride and arrogance, this becomes the fruit.

Religion without piousness is an aberration.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by littlemistress: 3:57pm On Sep 10, 2016
So what should Catholics do? I actually find it awkward calling a younger pastor 'daddy' & his wife "mummy" undecided undecided makes them feel old/matured even when they aren't. I simply call them pastor.!
I serve in a catholic school & I'm soo used to calling the priests "father". Even while talking to my dad over the phone, I involuntarily called him "father" cheesy
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by guccess(m): 3:57pm On Sep 10, 2016
I can't blame them (pastor), because it's flesh that is controlled them generally, and beside they are not following what Bible say......
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by ruggedtimi(m): 3:57pm On Sep 10, 2016
Thnk u for dis question brother op...
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by LuvU2: 3:57pm On Sep 10, 2016
cos they want to take the place of God in our lives lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by agwom(m): 3:58pm On Sep 10, 2016
signs of respect for the chief servant of God

1 Like

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Seun(m): 3:58pm On Sep 10, 2016
I think Pastor Adeboye started it. Despite being the most humble pastor in the world.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Kyliegame: 3:58pm On Sep 10, 2016
princevinco:
You should differentiate between physical fathers and spiritual fathers. Any man or woman who is feeding you spiritual food like pastors are your spiritual father irrespective of his or her age even if you are older.

Hahahahahhaahahha cheesy cheesy cheesy continue sha.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Muhammad Is Mentioned By The Exact Name In The Gospel Of Barnabas / RCCG 2024 Prophecies By Pastor E.A. Adeboye. / Pastors Owning Private Jets Is An Embarrassment – Bishop Mathew Kukah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.