Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,366 members, 7,836,476 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community (25140 Views)

What created God ? A Response To Atheist Question / As An Atheist Would You Circumcise Your Male Children? / Atheist Come Here And Reason With African Traditional Faithful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Dollywood(m): 12:37pm On Nov 27, 2021
Blakjewelry:

Godlessness has more to do with religious folks than religious folks these days. Infact they believe their religion gave them freedom from the consequences of their actions.

Note: Atheism not a religion, it is the lack of belief in any religion or superior being or whatever yall do.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Remman(m): 12:40pm On Nov 27, 2021
another grave lie
kingxsamz:

Funny guy. The fact that you'd scream "Jesus" like your life depends on it in a life threatening situation doesn't mean it's like that for everyone. An atheist won't even bother saying that name to be saved from their misery. Looking up to imaginary people for help is that last thing that'll ever come to my mind when I know those things don't work. I'd rather call Santa Claus instead.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Tobedated(m): 12:48pm On Nov 27, 2021
dadabashua1:
I'm a Christian but I have to agree with you to some level,at least they don't kill in the name of religion, they pose no threat to anyone's life or way of life,so I won't judge them either.

if there were more people like you Nigeria will be a better place
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by LordReed(m): 12:55pm On Nov 27, 2021
Blakjewelry:

Godlessness has more to do with religious folks than religious folks these days. Infact they believe their religion gave them freedom from the consequences of their actions.

Says who? I am an atheist and I know my actions have consequences. Whoever told you otherwise has misled you.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by LordReed(m): 1:00pm On Nov 27, 2021
Realtalk20:

Hunger is causing it. When you are hungry and frustrated you become angry at everyone and everything. You curse your parents , you curse your debtors and those who you are owing money too. You curse your lineage and country and finally your curse your creator and suddenly stop believing in anything due to a rumbling empty stomach grin

All these so called atheists in Nigeria are hungry ,broke people who have tried to borrow money from everywhere no one helped them. They prayed countless times for help and none came,They converted from Christianity to Islam and back n forth looking for money to rent a one room to sleep in.

Finally one guy is claims to be an atheist gave them 2k to eat which looks like 1 billion to them and immediately they join and start ranting that do called Christians and Muslims and evil ... All because of 2k shocked
DejiZoe:
The main reason why atheism is fast growing is because people want to live their promiscuous and sinful lives guilt free. The concept of God and sin bothers their sinful hearts. Rather than submit to God and receive His salvation, they submit to their lusts. I don't bother arguing with atheists, have only met one though, in the end we will know.

However, deep deep down, they have a witness in their heart that there is God.
Remman:
Hehehe! The people you're thinking are atheists will shout Jesus more than you if they're in a car that's about to crash... There's nothing like that in Nigeria! I had a friend who stopped believing in the existence of God because his father died and he dropped out of school. But one day, a sickness was about to take his life and it was in church that he got his healing after hospital failed him. If he was truly a geniune atheist, he wouldn't have gone to any church but rather die in the sickness but today he's a pastor. This country is filled with fake atheists. Trust me, they're all christians!

Whatever helps you sleep well at night. LoL

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by LordReed(m): 1:05pm On Nov 27, 2021
biotechshola:
Do you become an atheist because you think religion is a scam, irrational or you're simply lazy to commit yourself to any religious demands?

If that is the yardstick then why aren't you an ascetic monk?
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:09pm On Nov 27, 2021
Namnam:
The atheists of Nigeria are 900 thousand people currently and growing especially as more Nigerians move to the cities and as public security starts cracking down more and more on jihadism and fundamentalist Islam as time passes means Nigeria is gonna become increasingly secular as time passes. Thoughts on this trend?
According to the Bible ATHEISM will soon take over world power from RELIGION and ban religion completely. So when we hear this type of News we are glad that God's word is fulfilling in our own time! smiley
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by kingxsamz(m): 1:25pm On Nov 27, 2021
Remman:
another grave lie

How so?
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by LordIsaac(m): 1:31pm On Nov 27, 2021
Newton85:
Your creator that was created? Lol, what a very confused religion!
He is my Alpha and Omega. The source of my existence. All glory be to him.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:32pm On Nov 27, 2021
musicwriter:

Let me say that atheism is a western word, coming out of European heathens. It's not African. In African tradition, there's no word for atheist or atheism because our ancestors understood that man/woman cannot be separated from the God force/spirit.

All you have to do to understand the intimacy of our ancestors and the God force is check the wording of our names. In ancient time, even our names were partly God. Example in Igbo:-

CHIdi
CHIka
CHIgozie
CHIbuzo
CHInenye
OnyebuCHI
ete.

Example in Yoruba:-

OLUWAseun
OLUWAfumi
etc.

You can pick any African tribe you want and check the names and it'll be clear to you that nothing happened without God as long as our ancestors were concerned.

For an African to call himself/herself an atheist, note that you're only being an atheist in rejection of the European or Arab gods, and that's a good thing. I, myself don't believe in the bible or Koran god anymore but I am not an atheist. I know I am god himself and don't need a God. You can NEVER be an atheist as an African because Africans are God by default. We Africans created God- literally. I think I'll blog about this and talk about it in full one of these days.

Africans are Gods!!

Now this is what i call ORÍṢIRÍṢI! undecided
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Blitzerz: 1:40pm On Nov 27, 2021
Dollywood:

Scientist created synthetic bacteria from nothing you can actually do your research on this.

Hehehe, what is the name of the bacteria?

"Create" You said?
the Fact that a scientist had to create it, already buttresses my point.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Benrosaria(m): 1:42pm On Nov 27, 2021
Ynix:

Hungry atheist in need of food

Atheists are never hungry, they help religious people like you discover life, as all religious souls are blind with their eyes open
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by wirinet(m): 1:43pm On Nov 27, 2021
cooooooks:
Pretty sure Tai Solarin was atheist, or at least non Christian/Muslim.

I was a follower of Tai Solarin those days. In fact he was he that introduced me to atheism. He was a vocal atheist who attacked Christianity in his weekly Sunday Tribune column.

Back then Nigeria was still a moderate and tolerant country, before religious fundamentalism - Boko Haram and pentecostals took over. He was even appointed by IBB as chairman of People's Bank and his atheism was never an issue. If it was today, boko haram and pentecostals would harass and threaten him.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Minemrys: 1:46pm On Nov 27, 2021
Ammishaddai:
Oga, you failed to understand that the average Nigerian(whether Muslim or Christian)is religious not because of hypocrisy, but because the foundation of his faith is established on the existence and manifestations of the power of gods in the form of idols. And whether you choose to acknowledge it or not isn't a matter we ought to dispute because each and every person has his own twisted interpretation of what is true .
Baba you don go out of point. No one is talking about religion in its entirety but the average Nigerian being religious. They aren't. Only few are. And just cause they dress the part doesn't mean they act the part
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Ammishaddai: 1:50pm On Nov 27, 2021
Minemrys:

Baba you don go out of point. No one is talking about religion in its entirety but the average Nigerian being religious. They aren't. Only few are. And just cause they dress the part doesn't mean they act the part
Oga, you still don't get it do you? Just go out there and ask the average Nigerian if he believes in a God, or not . Typing and making baseless assumptions won't convince anyone here about atheism growing in Nigeria and neither will change the narrative of Nigerians being religious, because in truth , they are .
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by TAGM(m): 1:54pm On Nov 27, 2021
Better count 1sharon, lordreed and crystyano out of this numbers. God is on their matter already.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by DEKOL: 2:00pm On Nov 27, 2021
Proverbs 14 1-2

1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

2 The Lord looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.

John 14:6

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by FlipModeSquade(m): 2:05pm On Nov 27, 2021
Adakintroy:

I don tell you ask yourself in all honesty and this is not an insult. Do your father or mother believe in God. Then start your fight from your household. Cus it mean they too are delusional. Charity begins at home at least
So because my father was the Pope?

I should not question the veracity of religion?

I should swallow every delusional crap I heard?

That's why I said you are all demented..

You can't think for yourself?

Because you were fed bullshit?

You should swallow it without any question? angry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Twelve30(m): 2:05pm On Nov 27, 2021
Namnam:

Our atheist community has only existed since 2014 and it went from 1 to 900k in less than a decade

Our? Definitely one of them
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by DemMannaScam: 2:06pm On Nov 27, 2021
You neva see anything

The more confused u become, the more the church of Jesus grows and multiplies.

Semaj77:

You got your "facts" online and he got his online as well , how do you know which one is true
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by LordReed(m): 2:12pm On Nov 27, 2021
TAGM:
Better count 1sharon, lordreed and crystyano out of this numbers. God is on their matter already.

LMFAO! How is the god on our matter? You believe we will stop being atheists?
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by hopefulLandlord: 2:12pm On Nov 27, 2021
DejiZoe:
The main reason why atheism is fast growing is because people want to live their promiscuous and sinful lives guilt free. The concept of God and sin bothers their sinful hearts. Rather than submit to God and receive His salvation, they submit to their lusts. I don't bother arguing with atheists, have only met one though, in the end we will know.

However, deep deep down, they have a witness in their heart that there is God.
https://www.nairaland.com/3227103/people-atheists-because-want-sin
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Ishilove: 2:14pm On Nov 27, 2021
Semaj77:

Pressing issues caused by religion largely
Was the perennial corruption in the system caused by religion?
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Olumaeme: 2:20pm On Nov 27, 2021
There are more atheist in Nigeria than you can imagine.

Just that some people won't talk about it because of the kind of bigoted society we are.

I am a proud atheist!
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Olumaeme: 2:22pm On Nov 27, 2021
DEKOL:
Proverbs 14 1-2

1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

2 The Lord looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.

John 14:6

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

If no one can come to the Father Without jesus, are you saying Muslims who don't believe jesus is the son of God can go to heaven?
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Ishilove: 2:25pm On Nov 27, 2021
naptu2:

grin grin grin You've just reminded me of Obadiah777.
He inspired the comment cheesy
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by wirinet(m): 2:26pm On Nov 27, 2021
Ishilove:

Was the perennial corruption in the system caused by religion?
Absolutely yes! Religion especially Christianity rationalises corruption by promoting acquisition of unexplained wealth without hard work or merit. The justify corruption by public officials, 419 by yahoo boys and other crimes that produces instant wealth. All in the name of prosperity. I have not seen pastors preach against or condemn the 419 epidemic affecting our youths.

Before pentecostalism and their prosperity doctrine, corrupting was only prevalent in the political elite class, but pentecostals promoted corruption by ordinary people - traders, low level civil servants and the youth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Adakintroy: 2:26pm On Nov 27, 2021
FlipModeSquade:
So because my father was the Pope?

I should not question the veracity of religion?

I should swallow every delusional crap I heard?

That's why I said you are all demented..

You can't think for yourself?

Because you were fed bullshit?

You should swallow it without any question? angry

So now we can agree your father fed you bullshit and he was demented.

So have you ever question
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by FlipModeSquade(m): 2:30pm On Nov 27, 2021
Adakintroy:

So have you ever question him about his madness.
The difference between me and you..

While you were fed bullshit..

You've continued to swallow the bullshit..

Because that's ALL you know..

You are incapable of reasoning for yourself..

The fact that your father was mad..

Doesn't mean you have to continue with the madness.

DEMENTED cheesy

Me..

I think for myself..

And I have decided not swallow any more bullshit..

So..

Continue with your madness..

Because your father was mad..

It's a generational thing grin
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Ishilove: 2:31pm On Nov 27, 2021
wirinet:

Absolutely yes! Religion especially Christianity rationalises corruption by promoting acquisition of unexplained wealth without hard work or merit. The justify corruption by public officials, 419 by yahoo boys and other crimes that produces instant wealth. All in the name of prosperity. I have not seen pastors preach against or condemn the 419 epidemic affecting our youths.
How many churches have you attended to make you come to this conclusion?

That aside, are you saying that religion motivated the police officer to harass and extort defenceless Nigerians, that caused bribery and nepotism to be normalised in every sector of the economy, and caused public officials to be hopelessly sticky fingered?
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by wirinet(m): 2:34pm On Nov 27, 2021
Adakintroy:

So have you ever question him about his madness.
It's an insult to bring his parents into the discussion. Your parents have their own beliefs systems which you might disagree with as you grow older. Before Christianity took root, their parents were traditionalists, that doesn't give you the right to call them demented.
Your are disrespectful and appalling.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Divoc19(f): 2:39pm On Nov 27, 2021
Lordmajor31:

People are realizing religion is all a lie sold to us and we are still paying dearly for it in Africa, Those that gave us religion have stopped believing in there lies but we in Africa keep dwelling in it. Religion is just a tool to control the human mind. The fear of eternal condemnation is why some people go to church but the real truth is all these were just sold to us to control our minds. In Nigeria on every street you go there is an average of 3 different churches and at least a mosque but yet the country is still the worst place on earth currently, what does that tell you?
Yes I believe in the statistics because I am one of the people who doesn’t believe God exist, because if that dude does exist! Nigeria will not be this messed up.

#isaidwhatisaid#

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply)

Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? / "Stop Complaining" - Pastor Adeboye Tells Nigerians / Choristers Refuse To Attend Member's Burial Because He Owed Choir Dues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.