Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,050 members, 7,849,251 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 05:11 PM

Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community - Religion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community (25231 Views)

What created God ? A Response To Atheist Question / As An Atheist Would You Circumcise Your Male Children? / Atheist Come Here And Reason With African Traditional Faithful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Pr0ton: 8:47pm On Nov 27, 2021
A001:

You're obviously the confused one.

Can you quote an agnostic you know that told that contradictory nonsense (the highlighted) that only exists in your head?

Calm yourself. I didn't say any agnostic said that. It is my own view of how agnostics think.

By definition an agnostic person neither believes nor disbelieves the existence of God. They claim not to be an atheist (one who disbelieves in God) yet expresses doubt over God's existence. Please help me find the rationale in that. Because to a religious person, you're an unbeliever for even expressing doubt in God's existence. And to an unbeliever that you don't want to identify with, well, what would be more rational than thinking you're confused?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by 1Sharon(f): 8:52pm On Nov 27, 2021
musicwriter:
Let me say that atheism is a western word, coming out of European heathens. It's not African. In African tradition, there's no word for atheist or atheism because our ancestors understood that man/woman cannot be separated from the God force/spirit.

All you have to do to understand the intimacy of our ancestors and the God force is check the wording of our names. In ancient time, even our names were partly God. Example in Igbo:-

CHIdi
CHIka
CHIgozie
CHIbuzo
CHInenye
OnyebuCHI
ete.

Example in Yoruba:-

OLUWAseun
OLUWAfumi
etc.

You can pick any African tribe you want and check the names and it'll be clear to you that nothing happened without God as long as our ancestors were concerned.

For an African to call himself/herself an atheist, note that you're only being an atheist in rejection of the European or Arab gods, and that's a good thing. I, myself don't believe in the bible or Koran god anymore but I am not an atheist. I know I am god himself and don't need a God. You can NEVER be an atheist as an African because Africans are God by default. We Africans created God- literally. I think I'll blog about this and talk about it in full one of these days.

Africans are Gods!!

I disagree with this. Before humans around the world made the switch to monotheism they were pagan/ polytheist.

Humans were limited In their knowledge back then and believed gods controlled phenomena on earth, that's why they worshipped the seas, trees, animals.

Every culture had pagan Gods they worshipped.

Europeans were never atheists to begin with, they themselves were actually colonized by the Romans and made to ditch their indigenous gods and with their new found God, came and made Africans do the same.

If a person isn't taught to believe in any god, they would stay that way and be an atheist.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by A001: 8:52pm On Nov 27, 2021
Pr0ton:

Calm yourself. I didn't say any agnostic said that. It is my own view of how agnostics think.

By definition an agnostic person neither believes nor disbelieves the existence of God. They claim not to be an atheist (one who disbelieves in God) yet expresses doubt over God's existence. Please help me find the rationale in that. Because to a religious person, you're an unbeliever for even expressing doubt in God's existence. And to an unbeliever that you don't want to identify with, well, what would be more rational than thinking you're confused?
Okay. Do you have any scientific evidence for God's existence?

A yes or no would do.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by 1Sharon(f): 8:56pm On Nov 27, 2021
biotechshola:
Do you become an atheist because you think religion is a scam, irrational or you're simply lazy to commit yourself to any religious demands?

I thought you people love to say Christianity is a way of life not a religion.

So what religious demands are you talking about?
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Pr0ton: 8:57pm On Nov 27, 2021
A001:

Okay. Do you have any scientific evidence for God's existence?

A yes or no would do.

No.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by A001: 9:00pm On Nov 27, 2021
Pr0ton:

No.
That's why there are agnostics like me. When scientists present concrete evidence for God's existence, agnosticism will die a natural death.

Given the fact that we know very little about the Universe, one can't conclude that God exists or doesn't exist. Hence, I find the agnostic position convenient.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by kernniejay(m): 9:01pm On Nov 27, 2021
Realtalk20:
[s][/s]

Hunger is causing it. When you are hungry and frustrated you become angry at everyone and everything. You curse your parents , you curse your debtors and those who you are owing money too. You curse your lineage and country and finally your curse your creator and suddenly stop believing in anything due to a rumbling empty stomach grin

All these so called atheists in Nigeria are hungry ,broke people who have tried to borrow money from everywhere no one helped them. They prayed countless times for help and none came,They converted from Christianity to Islam and back n forth looking for money to rent a one room to sleep in.

Finally one guy is claims to be an atheist gave them 2k to eat which looks like 1 billion to them and immediately they join and start ranting that so called Christians and Muslims are evil ... All because of 2k shocked
This is the best truth I have ever seen in 2021. You are 1000% correct!
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by 1Sharon(f): 9:05pm On Nov 27, 2021
Ishilove:

Oh stop, puhleeze. Are you listening to yourself?? You are putting the blame on pastors, forgetting that everyone is responsible for their choices irregardless of their religious leaning.

You are irreligious, all well and good, but don't let your hatred for Christianity blind you to the fact that Nigeria is plagued by corruption today because of our inherent greed and love for primitive accumulation of wealth, and disunity.

Please and what is God doing to stop it?

Are the incessant prayers falling on deaf ears?
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Blakjewelry(m): 9:08pm On Nov 27, 2021
LordReed:

Says who? I am an atheist and I know my actions have consequences. Whoever told you otherwise has misled you.
Can't you see the 'godlessness' and I wanted to say non religious folks
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Pr0ton: 9:10pm On Nov 27, 2021
A001:

That's why there are agnostics like me. When scientists present concrete evidence for God's existence, agnosticism will die a natural death.

Given the fact that we know very little about the Universe, one can't conclude that God exists or doesn't exist. Hence, I find the agnostic position convenient.

Someone tells you there is God and can't provide the evidence to back it up and you also can't find any evidence that there is and even logic and science and research show that such proposed God do not exist, then the more rational conclusion should be such God does not exist.

To wait and find evidence yourself for something someone else claim to you is madness and confusion.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Blakjewelry(m): 9:13pm On Nov 27, 2021
Dollywood:

Note: Atheism not a religion, it is the lack of belief in any religion or superior being or whatever yall do.
Sorry I was going to say non religious folks my finger was as fast as my brain
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Blakjewelry(m): 9:18pm On Nov 27, 2021
Realtalk20:
[i][/i]

Shush

Have you eaten today ? grin
Instead of wasting your sub go online and check the stats you will see that hungry stricken nations are more religious than countries that better off

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by 1Sharon(f): 9:18pm On Nov 27, 2021
Pr0ton:

This makes you a deist, not an agnostic. Agnostics are rather a set of confused people who claim to believe in God and not believe in God.

Proton saying this?
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Pr0ton: 9:20pm On Nov 27, 2021
1Sharon:

Proton saying this?

Affirmative.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by 1Sharon(f): 9:20pm On Nov 27, 2021
Crystyano:

They might kill him.... or regard him like a lunatic or slowpoke or do all that I've stated....

Is he from the religion of peace?
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by 1Sharon(f): 9:22pm On Nov 27, 2021
Pr0ton:

Affirmative.

You're an atheist right or are you trolling?

Long time sha
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by musicwriter(m): 9:23pm On Nov 27, 2021
1Sharon:

I disagree with this. Before humans around the world made the switch to monotheism they were pagan/ polytheist.

Humans were limited In their knowledge back then and believed gods controlled phenomena on earth, that's why they worshipped the seas, trees, animals.

Every culture had pagan Gods they worshipped.

Europeans were never atheists to begin with, they themselves were actually colonized by the Romans and made to ditch their indigenous gods and with their new found God, came and made Africans do the same.

If a person isn't taught to believe in any god, they would stay that way and be an atheist.

All Gods came out of Africa. We were the first people in the world and the first to have the concept of a God, then spread it across the world as our early African ancestors migrated to different parts of the world to become the various nations in the world today.

No spiritual system ORIGINALLY developed in Europe. Anything Europeans worshipped and still do is what they scavenged from others but customized it to suit themselves. If you're really interested you can read it in Herodotus's account of Egypt. It's a small book that could be read in a day and in the book you'll find out that whatever god the ancient Greeks worshipped was what they got from Africa and customized for themselves. But they ended up bastardizing everything eventually and it's on that note that they were called heathens.

An atheist doesn't necessarily mean someone who doesn't believe in god. It could mean someone who doesn't believe in your own god. To Europeans, our ancestors were heathens but to our ancestors, Europeans were also heathens. It's just the one in power that would claim his/her own god to be the true god.

Any other nation can believe whatever they want but as long as we Africans invented God, it means that we're Gods.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 27, 2021
1Sharon:

Is he from the religion of peace?

Well,
I wonder where in Nigeria atheists are considered as people worth associating with ....

I mean where can you find a gathering of theists that consider atheists as people worth associating with at all....

Whether Christian or Muslim,
Where??
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by A001: 9:28pm On Nov 27, 2021
Pr0ton:

Someone tells you there is God and can't provide the evidence to back it up and you also can't find any evidence that there is and even logic and science and research show that such proposed God do not exist, then the more rational conclusion should be such God does not exist.

To wait and find evidence yourself for something some else claim to you is madness and confusion.
That's the atheistic position which I don't subscribe to.

We know very little about the Universe to say it as a matter of fact that God exists or doesn't exist.

Given the facts that the Earth is just one of the trillions (or even unlimited number) of planets (worlds) in existence, that the Earth is about 4.6 billion years old when the Age of Scientific Enlightenment is less than 600 years (a millennium), and that information about most of the things existing in our environs is filtered by our senses (i.e. we don't see and may not be able to see what actually exists in reality), it's possible God exists.

Our sciences, for all its glory and breakthroughs, are still elementary in many ways and nascent in many key areas of life.

Thus, it's not reasonable to conclude a god or God doesn't exist. When one understands the limits of our senses and organs — especially the brain, eye, and ear — one realizes life is much deeper and complex than science paints it.

Reality is different from existence as something can be existing but isn't real to us as limited beings.

For these reasons, the agnostic position is the most reasonable IMO as it makes one open-minded about things.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Nobody: 9:29pm On Nov 27, 2021
musicwriter:

All Gods came out of Africa. We were the first people in the world and the first to have the concept of a God, then spread it across the world as our early African ancestors migrated to different parts of the world to become the various nations in the world today.

No spiritual system ORIGINALLY developed in Europe. Anything Europeans worshipped and still do is what they scavenged from others but customized it to suit themselves. If you're really interested you can read it in Herodotus's account of Egypt. It's a small book that could be read in a day and in the book you'll find out that whatever god the ancient Greeks worshipped was what they got from Africa and customized for themselves. But they ended up bastardizing everything eventually and it's on that note that they were called heathens.

An atheist doesn't necessarily mean someone who doesn't believe in god. It could mean someone who doesn't believe in your own god. To Europeans, our ancestors were heathens but to our ancestors, Europeans were also heathens. It's just the one in power that would claim his/her own god to be the true god.

Any other nation can believe whatever they want but as long as we Africans invented God, it means that we're Gods.

I never invented any God neither am I a God...

But I'm African....
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Pr0ton: 9:31pm On Nov 27, 2021
1Sharon:

You're an atheist right or are you trolling?

Long time sha

Yes, I am. I go with things that conform with logic, rationality and evidence. I have looked into agnosticism and I find it lacking.

Long time smiley
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Nobody: 9:32pm On Nov 27, 2021
Pr0ton:

Exactly,

If you say you don't know whether God exists or not,
Then you're confused about the subject....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by 1Sharon(f): 9:39pm On Nov 27, 2021
musicwriter:

Please if you're one of those Egyptologists that believe your ancestors came from Egypt or believe ancient Egyptians were black people. I don't want to proceed any further because that seems to be where you're headed, correct me

I'll just say that Ancient Egypt consisted of multi- racial, multi-cultural people and sub- Saharan Africans cannot come and claim their history and achievements when they are not quintessentially African. It is disingenuous and fraudulent.

Heck, if you look at Egyptians today, their skin tone doesn't differ from how they used to look.

They've been ran through by the romans, French, British and Arabs.

They really have nothing to do with sub- Saharan Africans .
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by musicwriter(m): 9:44pm On Nov 27, 2021
Crystyano:

I never invented any God neither am I a God...

But I'm African....

The whole system against black people is to make sure you don't realize that. You're God but you've been blackmailed and dethroned. The "CA" in Africa means God. The ancient Egyptians call it KA. Afri-KA = God mystery or land of God. Something like that.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by 1Sharon(f): 9:47pm On Nov 27, 2021
Pr0ton:

Yes, I am. I go with things that conform with logic, rationality and evidence. I have looked into agnosticism and I find it lacking.

Long time smiley

LOL. You do know that atheists and theists are opposites on a spectrum? Because they both make arrogant claims. Agnostics are humble.

Atheists are CERTAIN God doesn't exist, theists are CERTAIN he exists. Agnostics got it right.

God's existence can never be proven because who comes back from the dead?

How do you disprove something that can never be proven to begin with? God is said to be invisible, how do you want to prove or disprove that?
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Pr0ton: 9:54pm On Nov 27, 2021
A001:

That's the atheistic position which I don't subscribe to.

We know very little about the Universe to say it as a matter of fact that God exists or doesn't exist.

Given the facts that the Earth is just one of the trillions (or even unlimited number) of planets (worlds) in existence, that the Earth is about 4.6 billion years old when the Age of Scientific Enlightenment is less than 600 years (a millennium), and that most of the things existing in our environs are filtered by our senses (i.e. we don't see and may not be able to see what actually exists in reality), it's possible God exists.

Our sciences, for all its glory and breakthroughs, are still elementary in many ways and nascent in many key areas of life.

Thus, it's not reasonable to conclude a god or God doesn't exist. When one understands the limits of our senses and organs — especially the brain, eye, and ear — one understands life is much deeper and complex than science paints it.

Reality is different from existence as something can be existing but isn't real to us as limited beings.

For these reasons, the agnostic position is the most reasonable IMO as it makes one open-minded about things.

Let me it get it clear that atheists are open-minded too. What differentiates atheists from agnostics is that the former do not live on assumptions (at least in a sense) Yes, it is possible to eventually find that there is a "creator" to all the magnificence of the universe and everything that exists. The creator can be anything and can even be a "thing" that can be studied scientifically. It is also possible it can be of spiritual essence too. It can be anything we can think of or nothing in the realms of our comprehension and imagination.

My problem with agnosticism is why you choose to be insistent on one possibility out of the many - God. To me you're not being wholly scientific or even open minded. You're drifting towards the religious position like part of you want it to be true because it's something you can't completely move on from. And since you're bringing the spiritual possibility into this quest I would treat you like I would a spiritual person. And it is simply as follows:

A spiritual explanation comes from religion. Religion can't substantiate the claim. Religion through studies from history and science has been found to be delusional rather than factual. Therefore a spiritual explanation can't be true.

There is no evidence for God. But there is evidence that those who claim there is God through religion are wrong. This to me, as an atheist, is enough to say there is no God. Or at least till there can be evidence to prove there is one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by musicwriter(m): 9:55pm On Nov 27, 2021
1Sharon:

Please if you're one of those Egyptologists that believe your ancestors came from Egypt or believe ancient Egyptians were black people. I don't want to proceed any further because that seems to be where you're headed, correct me

I'll just say that Ancient Egypt consisted of multi- racial, multi-cultural people and sub- Saharan Africans cannot come and claim their history and achievements when they are not quintessentially African. It is disingenuous and fraudulent.

Heck, if you look at Egyptians today, their skin tone doesn't differ from how they used to look.

They've been ran through by the romans, French, British and Arabs.

They really have nothing to do with sub- Saharan Africans .

Part of the system against black people is to create this very impression in our minds. It's very unfortunate. Funny enough, even white people are no longer debating the race of the ancient Egyptians.

Of course, the ancient Egyptians were BLACK, in fact, very BLACK skinned. Please read the book I suggested you earlier. Herodotus was writing in about 450 BC and he mentioned the race and skin color of the ancient Egyptians. Read it and tell me what race he said the ancient Egyptians were.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Pr0ton: 10:01pm On Nov 27, 2021
1Sharon:

LOL. You do know that atheists and theists are opposites on a spectrum? Because they both make arrogant claims. Agnostics are humble.

Atheists are CERTAIN God doesn't exist, theists are CERTAIN he exists. Agnostics got it right.

God's existence can never be proven because who comes back from the dead?

How do you disprove something that can never be proven to begin with? God is said to be invisible, how do you want to prove or disprove that?

Why even think of God at all? What brought up the idea in the first place? Anyone claiming it should be the one to prove it. If you can't prove it then it doesn't hold true.

Atheists are certain that God doesn't exist based on finding that what theists started (a certain claim that God exists) is not true. Atheists are just responding to a claim. We are not creating a claim from thin air.

Agnostics on the other hand are considering this claim theists created from thin air and saying no one can disprove it. If it is like that, I can create anything from thin air and claim you can't disprove it and so it might exist. But that isn't the way reality is. Agnostics, like theists, are just obsessed with the concept of God.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by 1Sharon(f): 10:05pm On Nov 27, 2021
musicwriter:

Part of the system against black people is to create this very impression in our minds. It's very unfortunate. Funny enough, even white people are no longer debating the race of the ancient Egyptians.

Of course, the ancient Egyptians were BLACK, in fact, very BLACK skinned. Please read the book I suggested you earlier. Herodotus was writing in about 450 BC and he mentioned the race and skin color of the ancient Egyptians. Read it and tell me what race he said the ancient Egyptians were.

If the Egyptians were blacks and had all those innovations, why didn't sub-saharans reflect that in their climes? Why did they never even have the wheel?

Where did all the black Egyptians suddenly go to?

Post an excerpt from the book please.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by A001: 10:09pm On Nov 27, 2021
Pr0ton:

Let me it get it clear that atheists are open-minded too. What differentiates atheists from agnostics is that the former do not live on assumptions (at least in a sense) Yes, it is possible to eventually find that there is a "creator" to all the magnificence of the universe and everything that exists. The creator can be anything and can even be a "thing" that can be studied scientifically. It is also possible it can be of spiritual essence too. It can be anything we can think of or nothing in the realms of our comprehension and imagination.

My problem with agnosticism is why you choose to be insistent on one possibility out of the many - God. To me you're not being wholly scientific or even open minded. You're drifting towards the religious position like part of you want it to be true because it's something you can't completely move on from. And since you're bringing the spiritual possibility into this quest I would treat you like I would a spiritual person. And it is simply as follows:

A spiritual explanation comes from religion. Religion can't substantiate the claim. Religion through studies from history and science has been found to be delusional rather than factual. Therefore a spiritual explanation can't be true.

There is no evidence for God. But there is evidence that those who claim there is God through religion are wrong. This to me, as an atheist, is enough to say there is no God. Or at least till there can be evidence to prove there is one.
I don't understand you. Which assumptions do agnostics live by?

Do you see assumption as possibility or vice versa because that's the impression you gave with this comment?

Where are the assumptions in my post you quoted?

The agnostic doesn't say a god exists or doesn't exist. He/she simply asserts there's no evidence for God's existence or non-existence due to the limitations of our understanding of the Universe using science as a tool and owing to the limitations of our senses.

The agnostic is open-minded and seeks evidence for or against either of the two positions, not just one possibility because if he supports either of the two sides, then that's not agnosticism.

Based on our current level of scientific knowledge of the Universe, we may never be able to know as a matter of fact that God exists or doesn't exist at least while on Earth.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Ynix(m): 10:11pm On Nov 27, 2021
Benrosaria:

Atheists are never hungry, they help religious people like you discover life, as all religious souls are blind with their eyes open
Atheism is a religion na

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (22) (Reply)

"First-Fruits": Pastors Are Planning A Major Robbery In January / Why Christians Fall Into Sexual Temptations / Opinion: Women Preaching In The Church Is Not Biblical And Its Forbidden.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.