Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,517 members, 7,861,493 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:12 PM

Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community (25287 Views)

What created God ? A Response To Atheist Question / As An Atheist Would You Circumcise Your Male Children? / Atheist Come Here And Reason With African Traditional Faithful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by FlipModeSquade(m): 2:39pm On Nov 27, 2021
Namnam:

Our atheist community has only existed since 2014 and it went from 1 to 900k in less than a decade
Atheism have existed since the dawn of time..

If you are talking about a political movement..

Then that's another thing..

But disbelieve in the existence of a God..

Have been around since the early man..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by wirinet(m): 2:42pm On Nov 27, 2021
Ishilove:

How many churches have you attended to make you come to this conclusion?

That aside, are you saying that religion motivated the police officer to harass and extort defenceless Nigerians, that caused bribery and nepotism to be normalised in every sector of the economy, and caused public officials to be hopelessly sticky fingered?

Yes, I am saying religion is part of the motivation that police officer harass and extort defenceless Nigerians, because prosperity preachers looking for tithes encourage them to pray and wish for unmerited wealth as proof of Gods blessings. His pastor will bless the police man for buying a N50 million car and demand tithes even when he knows a policeman earns N60,000 per month. I have seen pastors bless a student for giving the huge donations without questioning the source of the money.

I still say it again, prosperity preachers are part of the reason Nigeria is one of the most corrupt countries in the world.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by wirinet(m): 2:42pm On Nov 27, 2021
FlipModeSquade:
Atheism have existed since the dawn of time..

If you are talking about a political movement..

Then that's another thing..

But disbelieve in the existence of a God..

Have been around since the early man..

The word atheism is older than the word Christianity.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Semaj77(m): 2:46pm On Nov 27, 2021
DemMannaScam:

You neva see anything

The more confused u become, the more the church of Jesus grows and multiplies.

Sorry I can't relate
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Ishilove: 2:52pm On Nov 27, 2021
wirinet:

Yes, I am saying religion is part of the motivation that police officer harass and extort defenceless Nigerians, because prosperity preachers looking for tithes encourage them to pray and wish for unmerited wealth as proof of Gods blessings. His pastor will bless the police man for buying a N50 million car and demand tithes even when he knows a policeman earns N60,000 per month. I have seen pastors bless a student for giving the huge donations without questioning the source of the money.

I still say it again, prosperity preachers are part of the reason Nigeria is one of the most corrupt countries in the world.
Oh stop, puhleeze. Are you listening to yourself?? You are putting the blame on pastors, forgetting that everyone is responsible for their choices irregardless of their religious leaning.

You are irreligious, all well and good, but don't let your hatred for Christianity blind you to the fact that Nigeria is plagued by corruption today because of our inherent greed and love for primitive accumulation of wealth, and disunity.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by GodIsBiafran: 2:52pm On Nov 27, 2021
I am not an atheist but I have to be honest:

It is better to be an atheist than to be a Christian or a Muslim.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by wirinet(m): 2:57pm On Nov 27, 2021
Ishilove:

Oh stop, puhleeze. Are you listening to yourself?? You are putting the blame on pastors, forgetting that everyone is responsible for their choices irregardless of their religious leaning.

You are irreligious, all well and good, but don't let your hatred for Christianity blind you to the fact that Nigeria is plagued corrupt today because of our inherent greed and love for primitive accumulation of wealth, and disunity.

Gbam! And guess who promotes greed and primitive accumulation of wealth? - Nigerian Pentecostal pastors. The way they promote and display primitive accumulation of wealth is akin to drug lords.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Ishilove: 3:00pm On Nov 27, 2021
wirinet:

Gbam! And guess who promotes greed and primitive accumulation of wealth? - Nigerian Pentecostal pastors. The way they promote and display primitive accumulation of wealth is akin to drug lords.
You are gbamming and still being willfully blind. What you are implying is atheists are not also involved in corrupt practices, which we all know is bullshit because corruption knows no ethnic group or religion.

Mr Oga, the weather is too hot for merry-go-round arguments. Abeg carry your wahala dey go
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by wirinet(m): 3:08pm On Nov 27, 2021
Ishilove:

You are gbamming and still being willfully blind. What you are implying is atheists are not also involved the the corrupt practices, which we all know is bullshit because corruption knows no ethnic group or religion.

Mr Oga, the weather is too hot for merry-go-round arguments. Abeg carry your wahala dey go

You fail to realized that the moral fabric of a society is determined by the priests and religious leaders. Even in the bible, in times of tribulations and moral decadence, the people look towards the religious leaders - prophets and priests. Powerful kings, generals and ordinary people look up to them for guidance. But in the case of Nigeria, they contribute to the moral decay.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by emmahoney(m): 3:30pm On Nov 27, 2021
It is highly unreasonable to say that Nigerian atheists are frustrated poor individuals. The proponents of such claim do not know what they are talking about.

Nigerian atheists are comfortable and intelligent people. Amidst the high religiosity in Nigeria, they were able to detect what I "termed mental slavery" brought about by religion. And some do dare the hostile religious environment which Nigeria has to offer to them.

To be free from the shackle of religion, It takes a high level of intelligence and courage.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by bepositive11: 3:35pm On Nov 27, 2021
Namnam:
The atheists of Nigeria are 900 thousand people currently and growing especially as more Nigerians move to the cities and as public security starts cracking down more and more on jihadism and fundamentalist Islam as time passes means Nigeria is gonna become increasingly secular as time passes. Thoughts on this trend?

This trend is evident worldwide
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by DemMannaScam: 3:39pm On Nov 27, 2021
More confusion for you

Meanwhile the church of Jesus keeps growing & waxing stronger

Semaj77:

Sorry I can't relate
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by DemMannaScam: 3:41pm On Nov 27, 2021
You neva even see anything

The church of Jesus will keep growing

Nobody, no entity, no prof, no demon can stop it cheesy

ProfAmaben:

Give the handout to your parents
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by egobetatoday: 3:44pm On Nov 27, 2021
Nezzjnr:
You won't blame them though... Our religious leaders are now using religion to cash out... We've a lot of Fake Clerics out there.

That's why it's better to just Read your Bible/Quran and look up to God/Allah always... If you look at the Lifestyle of some of these Clerics, You'll just be discouraged.

Bu why should you look at the life of somebody, cleric or not to help you have a relationship with God. Read your Bible or Quran and follow it.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by sageb: 3:58pm On Nov 27, 2021
cooooooks:
The more despondent a people are, the more religious they become.

At the lowest ebb and with no hope of betterment, a 'god' seems the most effective way out.

This your assertion corroborate with the psychonalytic psychology proponent, Sigmund Freud.
He termed it " A childlike Neurosis "
Do you believe Freudian assertion about God and Religion?
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by kendological(m): 4:25pm On Nov 27, 2021
theantidote:
Community of fools
How could a wise person look at everything around us and claim they came into existence on their own
Is that the definition of atheism, think.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by A001: 4:37pm On Nov 27, 2021
Namnam:
The atheists of Nigeria are 900 thousand people currently and growing especially as more Nigerians move to the cities and as public security starts cracking down more and more on jihadism and fundamentalist Islam as time passes means Nigeria is gonna become increasingly secular as time passes. Thoughts on this trend?
That's good news. With more advances recorded in science, religion will continue to lose its value in this country, and more and more Nigerians will embrace irreligion.

In the near future, I envision many churches and mosques will be converted to research institutes and hospitals as many Nigerians realize that the Bible and Qur'an are nothing but plagiarized books of African religious practices and concepts.

They're simply books of lies and great deception.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by SilvanusII(m): 4:42pm On Nov 27, 2021
RapistOnBail:

An average atheist is sympathetic and compassionate towards fellow human.

I no fit talk the same for our religious folks. As we all know, Religion has been one of the major cause of war even for Nigeria not to talk of the world generally.

Not necessarily
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Ensquare(m): 4:46pm On Nov 27, 2021
Ammishaddai:
Oga, you still don't understand: atheists in Nigeria are a subset in a subset that's barely up to the figure being mentioned here . How this information was calculated and concluded on shows the irrationality of the promoter of this data

Then we are more than the figure
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by RodgersAkpafu: 5:04pm On Nov 27, 2021
Nigeria actually have a growing population of non religious people
Especially among the millennial and below
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by RodgersAkpafu: 5:05pm On Nov 27, 2021
Adakintroy:
Atheist in Nigeria begins with little educated boys that have stuff their belle full with rice.

Notice 99% and one of them have parents who grew up in ruff patch Nigeria believing in God. Once this father who believe in God brought out money from the directions giving to them by this God, to send this children to school, atheist children immerge to insult their own father's by saying that God dont exist.

Don't be like atheists children.
Huh?
What are you saying
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Ammishaddai: 5:29pm On Nov 27, 2021
Ensquare:

Then we are more than the figure
Yeah...only on that piece of bullshit being displayed by the OP
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by pacespot(m): 5:30pm On Nov 27, 2021
Namnam:

Checked stats online

If this statistic is real, then that means the future of Nigeria is bright. Religion is the opium of the masses and one of the key ressons people can keep submissive to their oppressive leaders for so long. Take religion out of the way and you will see more Nigerians using their heads to think rather than their faith

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by smile4kenn(m): 5:54pm On Nov 27, 2021
Namnam:

very true!

https://gist.am/question/nigerias-growing-atheist-community
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Adakintroy: 5:56pm On Nov 27, 2021
FlipModeSquade:
The difference between me and you..

While you were fed bullshit..

You've continued to swallow the bullshit..

Because that's ALL you know..

You are incapable of reasoning for yourself..

The fact that your father was mad..

Doesn't mean you have to continue with the madness.

DEMENTED cheesy

Me..

I think for myself..

And I have decided not swallow any more bullshit..

So..

Continue with your madness..

Because your father was mad..

It's a generational thing grin

No my father was not mad..he fed me what I believe was the truth it just matter of opinion believe. He said to me not to steal from someone and not to take what not mine and he showed me that in this bible. Unless we are talking about something else you may want to tell me what so bullshit about that.

As it is now am not mad. Am reckoning with you. But apparently I don't share your none God believe which your own father may have shared so now am mad.

arrogance made you insult me, my father and your father all at once.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Adakintroy: 6:01pm On Nov 27, 2021
wirinet:

It's an insult to bring his parents into the discussion. Your parents have their own beliefs systems which you might disagree with as you grow older. Before Christianity took root, their parents were traditionalists, that doesn't give you the right to call them demented.
Your are disrespectful and appalling.

Did you follow the thread or you just taking sides.

You can follow up the thread if you wish to join the discussion proper rather than pinch in half way. I asserted that half of atherist have parents who believe in God yet they are saying those of us her ewho do are demented. So now if we are and Thai is a honest question what does that make their own parents if they believe also I. Same God. You can answer that too since you are in..notice it's a question..if you feel insulted, it's not me it's you reaid g from it.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by lebuhsi(m): 6:03pm On Nov 27, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA

What I mean when I say Physics is King. Enjoy
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by wirinet(m): 6:21pm On Nov 27, 2021
Adakintroy:

Did you follow the thread or you just taking sides.

You can follow up the thread if you wish to join the discussion proper rather than pinch in half way. I asserted that half of atherist have parents who believe in God yet they are saying those of us her ewho do are demented. So now if we are and Thai is a honest question what does that make their own parents if they believe also I. Same God. You can answer that too since you are in..notice it's a question..if you feel insulted, it's not me it's you reaid g from it.

You are just being disingenuous and cynical at the same time. It's like someone saying you are demented and you saying it's your parents that are demented. Why not defend your points instead of dragging his parents into it.
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by Adakintroy: 6:39pm On Nov 27, 2021
wirinet:

You are just being disingenuous and cynical at the same time. It's like someone saying you are demented and you saying it's your parents that are demented. Why not defend your points instead of dragging his parents into it.

I will drag whoever I want into this. I did not insult anyone..I asked a perfectly valid question Did your parents believe in God?. am guessing yes they did. Can you say they were deluded or mad? .am not refering to him( the other guy now) rather am asking you directly. You can see clear there is no insult here. Just a perfectly valid neutral question. Pls answer me. I did not insult them note that. Unless you are bringing sentiments into rational discuss.

Did your parents believe in God?
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by caesymore(m): 6:57pm On Nov 27, 2021
Ynix:

Hungry atheist in need of food

grin
Re: Nigeria’s Growing Atheist Community by 1Sharon(f): 6:58pm On Nov 27, 2021
TAGM:
Better count 1sharon, lordreed and crystyano out of this numbers. God is on their matter already.

and where is he at?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply)

‘Pray For China To Receive Christ’ - Chinese Converts Declare In Anambra / Winners Chapel Covers-up Case Of Missing 2 Year Old Praise Eleng / Is There In The Bible That Man Should Marry One Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.