Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,264 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War (8210 Views)

APC Blast PDP:'A Party That Can't Even Spell Its Name Wants 2 Save Nigeria'(pics / Col. Ben Gbulie, One Of The 1966 Coupists Speaks On The Coup And Awo / Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by Onlytruth(m): 4:09am On Jun 12, 2011
Posted by: EzeUche!

Damn you Ironsi! The coupist failed woefully when they didn't get him. It was almost successful. The North was lost without their leader, but they regrouped when Ironsi was given power!
The Igbo leaders of the past were truly strong men.

Believe me this book says a lot about those boys. They were tough and ready to do a lot of things if Ironsi didn't stand in the way. If they had succeeded in arresting him alongside others, the coup would have succeeded.

I will scan pages showing where Nigerians were cerebrating the coup until Ironsi f%%cked up.
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by Onlytruth(m): 4:19am On Jun 12, 2011
A coup is either successful or unsuccessful. Ironsi somehow couldn't guarantee either. And that led to the pogrom and his eventual death.

Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by Katsumoto: 4:19am On Jun 12, 2011
EzeUche!:

Damn you Ironsi! The coupist failed woefully when they didn't get him. It was almost successful. The North was lost without their leader, but they regrouped when Ironsi was given power!  angry angry angry

The Igbo leaders of the past were truly strong men.

Onlytruth:

Posted by: EzeUche!
[b]Believe me this book says a lot about those boys. They were tough and ready to do a lot of things if Ironsi didn't stand in the way. [/b]If they had succeeded in arresting him alongside others, the coup would have succeeded.

I will scan pages showing where Nigerians were cerebrating the coup until Ironsi f%%cked up.

Are you guys ok? They were strong men because they weren't killing unarmed men and women in their beds in the dead of night? Is that what passes for courage where you are from? Why didn't they show their strength when everybody was awake and armed from July 1967?
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by ektbear: 4:22am On Jun 12, 2011
Katsumoto:

Well after it seemed that the coup was going to fail, every Igbo politician or military man (Ironsi) saw the opportunity for Igbo power. Even though their colleagues had been murdered in cold blood

1. The Igbo members of NCNC caucased to deny the NPC the right to select the new PM after the murder of Balewa even though the NPC was the senior party in the coalition.
2. Nwafor Orizu, after speaking with Zik who was away on holiday (another 'miracle') refused to handover to the NPC selected candidate to take over as PM preferring instead to handover to Ironsi, another Igboman
3. Despite the gravity and manner of assissination of senior political and military leaders, Ironsi refused to court-martial the plotters.
4. The plotters failed to kill Ironsi perhaps, because they realised that if their coup failed, another Igbo man would be top dog and could protect them. This was the case as Ironsi did not attempt to try them.
5. An Igbo agenda does not necessarily mean that all Igbo people were involved in the coup but that Igbo elements in the government and military were attempting a take-over.

Pshaw. All a coincidence. Nigeria is a land of miracles. Though it cracks me up that they blocked the NPC from selecting a new PM grin

Stabbed their Hausa allies right in the back.
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by Onlytruth(m): 4:24am On Jun 12, 2011
The coup plotters were tough because it took a lot of courage to go against the corrupt monster that Nigeria was.
Every top official was corrupt as Ironsi. The fastest way to die in a country like Nigeria is to wage war against corruption as a junior army officer. If you doubt me, ask Gideon Orkar, and the junior officers who died in the spurious plane crash.

If they were generals or men in high command, then you would have a point.  undecided
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by EzeUche1(m): 4:25am On Jun 12, 2011
Yorubas had a chance of throwing off the yoke of Northern aggression. But they chose not too. It can be clearly seen and Nigeria has not progressed, because of their inaction.

I can hold my head up high, knowing my Igbo forefathers tried to free us from this yoke. Something drastic needed to happen.
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by alex101(m): 4:39am On Jun 12, 2011
For me I think the most important lesson of this thread is "ignore tribalism at your own peril". I have decided to look beyond the main cause of the jan 15 coup, for it will lead to another arguement about cvil war bla,,,bla,,bla. I think this thread should serve as an "eye-opener" as to not trying to save outsiders in the dungeon called nigeria. The so called Igbo "nationalism" and "efulefuism" needs to be curbed as history has a way of repeating itself.
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by Onlytruth(m): 4:45am On Jun 12, 2011
Posted by: alex101

For me I think the most important lesson of this thread is "ignore tribalism at your own peril". I have decided to look beyond the main cause of the jan 15 coup, for  it will lead to another arguement about cvil war bla,,,bla,,bla. I think this thread should serve as an "eye-opener" as to not trying to save outsiders in the dungeon called nigeria. The so called Igbo "nationalism" and "efulefuism" needs to be curbed as history has a way of repeating itself.

Seconded powerfully.

Everything else is really mute. Folks can choose to believe whatever they want. Mine is to warn Ndigbo to stay away from unbridled "fairness", "patriotism" and "nationalism".

If we focused only on our interest, we would be ruling all facets of Nigeria today. Though I don't know whether I would like to rule Somalia.  cry  But God dey sha.
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by alex101(m): 4:55am On Jun 12, 2011
Onlytruth:

Posted by: alex101
Seconded powerfully.

Everything else is really mute. Folks can choose to believe whatever they want. Mine is to warn Ndigbo to stay away from unbridled "fairness", "patriotism" and "nationalism".

If we focused only on our interest, we would be ruling all facets of Nigeria today. Though I don't know whether I would like to rule Somalia.  cry  But God dey sha.

@ the bolded, do you mean nigeria is like somalia? If so, many one-nigerianists will beg to differ cheesy
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by Onlytruth(m): 4:59am On Jun 12, 2011
^^

Take a close look at Nigeria and tell me which section is interested in progress the way Igbo are.

If the January 1966 coupists never operated, Nigeria would have continued a path of steady "northernisation" and oligarchy, leading to many Igbo alhajis and oil shieks. The result? Boko Haram all over Nigeria including the East.
Is that not Somalia?
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by Onlytruth(m): 5:01am On Jun 12, 2011
In a way, Igbo presence in Nigeria has led to many changes whether good or bad (unintended); all because we are pursuing progress.
We should just chill and plunder the country like everybody else.

I'm only afraid of the "Somalianisation" of Nigeria.
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by alex101(m): 5:06am On Jun 12, 2011
^^^^
Okay, I get your point.

LOL @ "somalianisaton of nigeria"
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by asorocker: 11:31am On Jun 12, 2011
The coup was carried out by mostly igbos and a few yorubas but was stopped by igbos.

The igbos alone suffered the consequences of doing the coup in the civil war.

The coup by the north produced casualties of igbos and a few yorubas and was done only in the south west and not in SS or SE.

From the above , igbos don't need to go it again with yorubas if any need arises.
The igbos need to consolidate aliance with the SS despite that the fought against igbos.
The probability of another war cannot be ruled out judging from the events in plateau, benue, bauchi and borno .

The death to zoning caused by yorubas is to deny power to igbos in 2015 and an end to zoning will lead nigeria into another civil war.

My advice to igbos , know your real and apparent enemies.
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by ak47mann(m): 12:04pm On Jun 12, 2011
asorocker:

The coup was carried out by mostly igbos and a few yorubas but was stopped by igbos.

The igbos alone suffered the consequences of doing the coup in the civil war.

The coup by the north produced casualties of igbos and a few yorubas and was done only in the south west and not in SS or SE.

From the above , igbos don't need to go it again with yorubas if any need arises.
The igbos need to consolidate aliance with the SS despite that the fought against igbos.
The probability of another war cannot be ruled out judging from the events in plateau, benue, bauchi and borno .

The death to zoning caused by yorubas is to deny power to igbos in 2015 and an end to zoning will lead nigeria into another civil war.

My advice to igbos , know your real and apparent enemies.
we know already that's why doing June 12 igbo s in Lagos we all went home let them have it with abacha,
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by ChinenyeN(m): 1:56pm On Jun 12, 2011
Some here are claiming 'coincidence' and 'miracles', but upon all these 'miracles' (which, presumably are supposed to have helped the coup), the coup still failed. . . particularly because of those 'coincidences' and 'miracles'. So now, 'coincidence' and 'miracles' ke?
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by seanet03: 2:26pm On Jun 12, 2011
EzeUche!:

Yorubas had a chance of throwing off the yoke of Northern aggression. But they chose not too. It can be clearly seen and Nigeria has not progressed, because of their inaction.

I can hold my head up high, knowing my Igbo forefathers tried to free us from this yoke. Something drastic needed to happen.
I don't know why you like twisting facts just to prove your ignorance. Which Northern aggression are you talking about? The one launched on Yorubas by North through Ore? The one that led to the imprisonment of Awolowo due to the gang up against south west by the ibos and north? The Association For Better Nzesibe that was used to denied A Yoruba man the Presidency? You like fabricating stories that hold no water.
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by ak47mann(m): 2:32pm On Jun 12, 2011
seanet03:

I don't know why you like twisting facts just to prove your ignorance. Which Northern aggression are you talking about? The one launched on Yorubas by North through Ore? The one that led to the imprisonment of Awolowo due to the gang up against south west by the ibos and north? T[b]he Association For Better Nzesibe that was used to denied A Yoruba man the Presidency? [/b]You like fabricating stories that hold no water.
you are full of garbage boyyy shocked point of correction nzeribe asked ITT offered him help from igbos he said i can win without igbos so what do you people want us to do for you lot? cut ourself and bleed to death
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by EzeUche1(m): 2:36pm On Jun 12, 2011
ak47mann:

you are full of garbage boyyy shocked point of correction nzeribe asked ITT offered him help from igbos he said i can win without igbos so what do you people want us to do for you lot? cut ourself and bleed to death

That is exactly what they want us to do. Abiola said he did not need Igbo support, and we showed him you cannot insult a major group and expect us to accept it. It serves him right, and I am glad someone like Nzeribe was able to stop him. cool
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by seanet02: 2:39pm On Jun 12, 2011
ak47mann:

Who cares what an ibo man says? They are noted for their ingenuity and falsification of figures. Thank You Black Scorpion for killing millions of Ibos. They are animals and deserve no pity
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by ak47mann(m): 2:43pm On Jun 12, 2011
seanet02:

Who cares what an ibo man says? They are noted for their ingenuity and falsification of figures. Thank You Black Scorpion for killing millions of Ibos. They are animals and deserve no pity
look mumu bastard pikin i no you are the same person igbo hater you end up drinking tea like your he goat ITT brother if not tea AIDS could have taking him long time cheesy hope you too get papa lipsrsealed
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by EzeUche1(m): 2:45pm On Jun 12, 2011
seanet02:

And yet we are still here and multiplying. Our numbers are still vast. We the Igbos will continue survive.
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by texazzpete(m): 3:36pm On Jun 12, 2011
EzeUche!:

That is exactly what they want us to do. Abiola said he did not need Igbo support, and we showed him you cannot insult a major group and expect us to accept it. It serves him right, and I am glad someone like Nzeribe was able to stop him. cool

So in other words, your people were very happy to put their necks under the Northern axes once more because they 'felt insulted'?

This is hilarious!

This back and forth is entertaining but it does not detract from the ultimate truth: tribalism (like racism) is imbecility!
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by Pharoh: 5:12pm On Jun 12, 2011
I really need to get the book.
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by MMM2(m): 7:02pm On Jun 12, 2011
the book pls
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by 9javoice1(m): 7:09pm On Jun 12, 2011
we have a big problem to solve here in the south.
the unity problem we have here in the south is yoruba and igbo.they refuse to be together.
yorubas hate igbos and igbos distrust yorubas. but nothern nig are deadly how come we don't see it
pls let's unite to better our future. if sw assist se to get rep chairman the sw would have get sgf but now the revice is the case.
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by fxtopedia(m): 7:12pm On Jun 12, 2011
[size=38pt]Make OBJECTIVE comments and STOP abusing other tribe! ok, [/size]
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by 9javoice1(m): 7:12pm On Jun 12, 2011
A southern unity is the end of hausa fulani dominance.
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by T9ksy(m): 7:16pm On Jun 12, 2011
9ja voice:

yorubas hate igbos and igbos distrust yorubas. but nothern nig are deadly how come we don't see it

Point of correction, Igbos hate Yorubas whilst the yorubas don't trust the igbos!!!

Our past interactions with the igbos have taught us this salient lesson.
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by dayokanu(m): 8:23pm On Jun 12, 2011
^^ Point of correction

Yorubas dont care if Ibos like them or Not
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by hercules07: 8:43pm On Jun 12, 2011
if only Akintola did not run out of bullets, I might not have liked that man (as I am an Awo person) but I respect him, he showed the warrior in him on that day, a real Are Ona Kakanfo, may he rest in peace.
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by lagcity(m): 9:39pm On Jun 12, 2011
9ja voice:

we have a big problem to solve here in the south.
the unity problem we have here in the south is yoruba and igbo.they refuse to be together.
pls let's unite to better our future. if sw assist se to get rep chairman the sw would have get sgf but now the revice is the case.

yorubas don't hate igbos. i wouldn't say there is love affair between the two but yorubas definitely do not hate the igbos. i don't know how igbos feel but it makes sense that if some igbos hate/distrust yorubas, they'll think the yorubas hate/distrust them in return, which isn't the case.
in business, they do work together. but in politics, that's another story. i think both will work together if one or two respected leaders from each group genuinely put aside pettiness and work together.
Re: To Save Nigeria: The Revolutionary Coup And The Civil War by ikoyiboy: 9:56pm On Jun 12, 2011
Where and how can I buy this book?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Whistleblowers Fetch Nigeria N143billion / Senator Akpabio: Stop Expecting Appointments, Contracts As Reward For Voting / Kogi Guber: David Jemibewon Denies Endorsing Yahaya Bello’s Re-Election Bid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.