Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,730 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures (28496 Views)

No Light: UNN Medical Students Embark On A Peaceful Protest (Pictures) / Mirabel Obi: My Father Lost Contracts Due To Twerking Video- UNN Medical Student / Mirabel Obi: I Was Not Expelled For Twerking – UNN Medical Student Harassed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by Magnumproperty: 10:52am On Dec 14, 2021
floss:
My alma mater no dey disappoint...back then in Nsukka Campus, when you check result board you will be seeing stuffs like this

Doke Silver...............FF
Yusuf Ahmed ..........FF
Chima Godwin.........FF
Olakunle Peace........FF

When we enquired from the lecturer about the"FF" attached to each name, I won't forget the reply that our Maths 101 lecturer back then at Abuja building gave me and some of my class mates...

if you see your name with "FF" just know that you failed the course for this semester and hopefully you will fail that of next semester...
Na so me my class mates waka dey go back lodge that day because only 15 students out of 77no get F of F as their grade... meaning only 15 pass the course for that semester...

Although that was fun Sha the memories.
Ahahahaha
Next semester wey Dem never do the exams
Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by mrvitalis(m): 10:53am On Dec 14, 2021
Bvmsson:

You really amuse me .....
A lot of you think it's by talking abi... Who told you that chimamanda and soludo failed out of medical school? That's a very big lie. For the records UNN has one of the highest quota for medicine but UI has the highest quota for medicine in Nigeria.

The problem is that they admit a lot of students and trim them down just like the OP said.... What do you think they will do to a student population of over 500 writing an exam when their quota is less than 200? Answer me? I have a friend in UI studying medicine and he said they are not even up to their quota in number and after the exams there are less casualties....

Abeg make una dey get sense ooo...
Oga soludo failed out of medicine .. chimamanda failed both pharmacy and medicine

So what's the point of admitting 200 and only 75 passes your exam ?

It's not like the people who fail lose admission they are just have to find another department

I don't get what your issue is here

Everyone entering medicine know this risk

3 Likes

Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by GetMeRight: 10:55am On Dec 14, 2021
ppogba:

You have made valid, good points but it amazes me how people generalise about private schools helping their students pass Wasc.
There are private schools that drill their students like no man's business. And for your information, public schools are not better of in terms of cheating.
In every situation, garbage in, garbage out.

What are they even teaching the students in public schools these days? Many parents of the kids in public schools can't even afford PTA fees not to talk of buying textbooks for them. Ordinary notebooks is even problem. He should tell us how they would be better than the kids in the private schools who have everything?
Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by Nchenches: 10:57am On Dec 14, 2021
Vitamin17:
shocked omo see failure
Admission rackets have always been the thing at the UNN, going back to the 1980s.
Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by stayclearofme: 10:57am On Dec 14, 2021
NisforNicky:
Lalasticlala ishilove mynd44 Dominique seun fynestboi
Eye service
Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by SenecaTheYonger: 11:00am On Dec 14, 2021
gerrisson:
UNN Medical Sciences, over-admit, then trim down to normal quota with mass failures. Their mantra since before Christ.

They’re trying to squeeze out as much money as they can before dumping their lifeless body with an F
Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by Sheggy13(m): 11:00am On Dec 14, 2021
viyon02:
Very good, this is the result of runs, especially private schools, check the weac result of these students adminted with this result. You will think they will set some records in the faculty: l even have one student with 5 A1 buy couldn't cope with NCE and she was advice to withdraw in the first semester. What a shame to private schools they really distroy standard of education, and many parents fell for thier scams thinking they are the best, Hello parents, they are in business, they are not after success of your child/children but rather destroy it, dont fall for their good waec result they preach to you, if you really want the best for your child let your child attend public school and then get good private home teachers for each of the five key subjects for the require department. Anyway this is not for everyone just for few parents that are shrew enough to understand.
You have no point. We should be thankful to private primary and secondary schools for the little semblance of academic excellence we have in our pre-University education in this country. Go and check the winners of the major quizzes and competitions like Cowbell Maths Olympiad, or best Waec or UTME results annually, they're mostly private school pupils. Is it the same public secondary schools where students sit on the floor with broken roofs and teachers that hardly come to class you're advocating people to take their children to? If they are that good, why then do you need to pay teachers most likely from private schools for extra coaching? These people in UNN you're referring to as products of private schools also got outstanding results in UTME and Post-UTME conducted by UNN themselves, or you mean their private schools also did runs for them in UTME and Post-UTME?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by Bvmsson(m): 11:00am On Dec 14, 2021
juniorstar:
the easiest course to pass among yhe three is physiology..why will a candidate fail physiology.followed by anatomy then biochem

Lol ... You think it's the same standard in your school? Lol..... Omo if you can pass medical school in UNN you can fucking do well anywhere in the world..... What they serve them is pure wickedness. Physiology and anatomy standards are very high in this school...... If you feel you can do it go and try...lol

2 Likes

Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by seniorkachion(m): 11:01am On Dec 14, 2021
mrvitalis:
Being a super lion myself I don't see anything wrong here

UNN has never and from what I'm seeing would never reduce is exam standards for the sake of anyone

UNN has the highest quota is Medical science in Nigeria ..and only those who meets the requirements should go to other departments

The likes of soludo and chimamanda also failed out of UNN medicine but went on to do well in life

Most Nigerians don't know that Chinua Achebe was a medical student at then University College Ibadan, (UCH), but changed to literature. He was the best graduating student of his class at Government College, Umuahia. He was a core science student there.

3 Likes

Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by Nonexisting: 11:02am On Dec 14, 2021
Administration1:
Reminds me of one of my lecturers back then, He said Grade A is for God, B is for him, then we can all share C,D,E, and F.

My nickname was Easy E undecided undecided undecided
This one is too much. Which school is that?
Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by joyandfaith: 11:03am On Dec 14, 2021
Zico5:
This is too bad. Even schools that are in the same category like UI, OAU, UNILAG are not failing their students like this.

Those schools like that in 90s and early 2000s. We were about 380 in OAU medical school in 200level. Only 150 crossed to 400 level.
Now they are strict with admission quota.
Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by BrickDevo: 11:04am On Dec 14, 2021
Mulimv27:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlnDGz1tnOE
bro i love your accent, keep up the good work, keep saying the truth. Just subscribed
Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by pavoda: 11:04am On Dec 14, 2021
In a Sane society when students admitted to a training program based on their competence fail enmass like this then questions need to be asked about those imparting the knowledge to the students. It should bring joy to a teacher/professor to see majority of his students pass, it comes across as if it gives joy to these Prof’s to fail students.Its the other way round all around the world.Nigerians in every sphere go to the USA, UK and perform so well in Post Grad after being tormented with mass failures like this in Nigerian universities,. It’s nothing to celebrate.Its either the university sell admission to less than competent students or the Teachers and Professors are incompetent

1 Like

Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by Administration1: 11:04am On Dec 14, 2021
Nonexisting:
This one is too much. Which school is that?
Uniuyo
Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by PoliteActivist: 11:12am On Dec 14, 2021
viyon02:
Very good, this is the result of runs, especially private schools, check the weac result of these students adminted with this result. You will think they will set some records in the faculty: l even have one student with 5 A1 buy couldn't cope with NCE and she was advice to withdraw in the first semester. What a shame to private schools they really distroy standard of education, and many parents fell for thier scams thinking they are the best, Hello parents, they are in business, they are not after success of your child/children but rather destroy it, dont fall for their good waec result they preach to you, if you really want the best for your child let your child attend public school and then get good private home teachers for each of the five key subjects for the require department. Anyway this is not for everyone just for few parents that are shrew enough to understand.

Your English tho. Na wa o
Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by PoliteActivist: 11:14am On Dec 14, 2021
pavoda:
In a Sane society when students admitted to a training program based on their competence fail enmass like this then questions need to be asked about those imparting the knowledge to the students. It should bring joy to a teacher/professor to see majority of his students pass, it comes across as if it gives joy to these Prof’s to fail students.Its the other way round all around the world.Nigerians in every sphere go to the USA, UK and perform so well in Post Grad after being tormented with mass failures like this in Nigerian universities,. It’s nothing to celebrate.Its either the university sell admission to less than competent students or the Teachers and Professors are incompetent

It's wickedness, pure and simple
Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by AKWATGOLD1(m): 11:14am On Dec 14, 2021
UNN just used their money plants flower.
Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by Damson22: 11:19am On Dec 14, 2021
backbencher:

Every medical school does that, not just UNN

Medical school is surivial of the fittest. It's one of man's inventions to show boys and girls who think they were intelligent that they really aren't, and should think again. wink

The idea is to cut out potential doctors that would be easily prone to make mistakes before they graduate

Boss not every medical school, e.g UI, OAU don't do such, they even admit less than their quota, that's why they give room for DE and crossing. It's common for UNN because of greed. Normally their quota is 150 but they will admit more than 500 students. And they have to graduate 150 people so the need to wipe out some.

1 Like

Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by Alusiizizi(m): 11:22am On Dec 14, 2021
Pathetic. Not a single one managed a straight pass, with only one pass in Anatomy. Medical sciences is not nearly as difficult as it's cracked up to be. The trouble lies with the students, i.e. they do not belong there, possibly many have no business in a university in the first place.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by Bvmsson(m): 11:26am On Dec 14, 2021
Alusiizizi:
Pathetic. Not a single one managed a straight pass, with only one pass in Anatomy. Medical sciences is not nearly as difficult as it's cracked up to be. The trouble lies with the students, i.e. they do not belong there, possibly many have no business in a university in the first place.

This is just a part of the list.....
There were students who even made 2 distinctions.

1 Like

Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by pongwa(m): 11:30am On Dec 14, 2021
gerrisson:
WAEC, yes. But you can't cheat in JAMB. Very, very difficult.
you have not heard of miracle centers in JAMB
Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by nelszx: 11:32am On Dec 14, 2021
Funny thing is most of the medical sciences have a quota of 50 as required by the different professional bodies but schools will admit way above that for personal gains and start chopping off students and transferring them to less competitive departments.

They might even admit 1000 students but they know that what they need isn't more than 30 or less with backlogs of student either repeating the year or resitting the exam and everything for that level must sum up to 50.

1 Like

Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by georgeakins: 11:34am On Dec 14, 2021
If your WAEC result is from a special centre , don't bother to do any of the science courses in the government owned universities..
You could go to private universities where the standards are very low.

1 Like

Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by Ssoil(f): 11:38am On Dec 14, 2021
damn that’s brutal
Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by firfinch(m): 11:41am On Dec 14, 2021
gerrisson:
WAEC, yes. But you can't cheat in JAMB. Very, very difficult.
Some by-pass JAMB too, some Unis don't care about your JAMB scores.
Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by Ekpekus(m): 11:45am On Dec 14, 2021
Show the full list...
From my observations, either the Anatomy Lecturers are bad, wicked and sadistic OR the students failed to understand the course...
Reminds me of things years ago...but las las... we are here grin
Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by Ekpekus(m): 11:49am On Dec 14, 2021
juniorstar:
the easiest course to pass among yhe three is physiology..why will a candidate fail physiology.followed by anatomy then biochem
The easiest is Biochemistry... pretty straightforward.
However there are many reasons one can fail a course...
Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by Blitzerz: 11:49am On Dec 14, 2021
After, Ngigge will come and tell you how medical education is subsidized.....
Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by Ekpekus(m): 11:50am On Dec 14, 2021
Bvmsson:
Some of these guys that failed really worked their asses out. I Know of a guy last year that is a really good student at anatomy, physiology and medical biochemistry but failed 2nd MBBS last year but he pass this time around.

In medical school you do Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry which some people do separately for 4 years each, so if you calculate it you will spend 12 years studying the 3 courses.

Medical students have to do it in 18 months and are expected to pass them all which is the status quo but for want of time already lost to covid-19 and ASUU strike UNN crunched together the 18 months and made it 8 months.

I heard they even told them that if they don't write it this year they will be merged with the lower class. They were not given enough time for preparation.... Believe me the students who passed are really few and deserving but their are some who had 49, 49 and 49 .... They tried their best even with the short time.

The school is to be blamed for this number of casualties because they admitted too much students then send them to college of medicine who are really strict with quota. The more you admit above your quota the more casualties there'll be but the less you admit the less casualties there'll be... Example of too much admission is Ambrose Ali University Epkoma which failed over 300 students and passed their quota.
You see that 49 score is even less painful than 49.9... when the College board will tell you that you failed because of 0.1...
AAU matter still dey ground? Funny something

1 Like

Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by Ekpekus(m): 11:55am On Dec 14, 2021
ebuka333:

Don't cap nonsense, medical school is not ur mate... You can have parallel A's and still not pass.... Have u heard of closed marking before?
I don't know who invented that but it is so detrimental... wait until after med school when you wan apply for PG program abroad, then the weight of this close marking go become reality
Re: UNN Medical Sciences Admit Too Much, Then Trim Down To Quota With Mass Failures by GhostWisperer: 12:00pm On Dec 14, 2021
mrvitalis:
Being a super lion myself I don't see anything wrong here

UNN has never and from what I'm seeing would never reduce [b]is exam [/b]standards for the sake of anyone

UNN has the highest quota is Medical science in Nigeria ..and only [b]those who meets[/b] the requirements should go to other departments

The likes of soludo and chimamanda also failed out of UNN medicine but went on to do well in life
What a Lion grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Adey Orla Bags PhD In Biomedical Engineering From University Of Saskatchewan / What Course Can She Read With This WAEC Results / Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.