Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,668 members, 7,955,429 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:22 AM

Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? (7132 Views)

Will You Sign A Prenuptial Aggrement Before Marriage?men See Reasons Here. / Sisters approaching guys for romance!!! / Will You Sign A Prenuptial Agreement Before Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by upendo98(f): 6:40pm On Jun 13, 2011
okay I need your minds on this and pliz think broad not just Nigeria.
For those that dont know,its a prenuptial agreement meant to protect your assets.
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by r231(m): 6:43pm On Jun 13, 2011
Loading. . . . . .
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by upendo98(f): 6:48pm On Jun 13, 2011
@ r321,

are uploading,or downloading and can u speed up pliz? we are waiting
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by obowunmi(m): 7:01pm On Jun 13, 2011
and what's wrong with pre-nupts ? I don't see anything wrong with that.
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by kobikwelu(m): 7:02pm On Jun 13, 2011
very intelligent thread, this thought had crossed my mind earlier,

lemme put it like this,

compare the percentage of women that walked out of a prenupt, to those that walked out on a bare (ordinary) marriage

YOU WILL BE SHOCKED,

a woman tends to stick around the source of money
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by upendo98(f): 7:40pm On Jun 13, 2011
mmmh.

You 4rgot one thing. Assume the woman is wealthier in the relationship.Will the man stick around the source too
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by Dyt(f): 8:00pm On Jun 13, 2011
Many ppl dont understand o
lyk me
u 4 jst say
A premarriage agreement a warnin of death 4 romance?
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jun 13, 2011
@poster
absolutely normal in my book. if a person claims to love their partner then they should understand fully. someone making a fuss about it definitely has an agenda up their sleeves and an eye on their partners fortune.

i already know what you gonna ask: if a man love his wife then he should equally NOT ask of such?. . . . . . . . . . well a prenup is a BUSINESS decision and has nothing to do with love. which dumbassss on earth wouldnt want to secure his BIGGEST asset?! if the partner stays with him then she will have the right to enjoy the fruit of HIS labor, the minute she is gone then she has NO right to it any longer.
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by upendo98(f): 8:47pm On Jun 13, 2011
for those still trying to digest the meaning

If you are in relationship and it looks the kind thet will lead to marriage,then you bring up the talk about prenupt agreement, what do you think will happen to tha relationship? will you go ahead and marry with a prenupt signed? or will you walk out?
Rember the agreement is supposed to protect your assets.Good eg the hollywood celebs do it cz the women marry and after 6 months wnat divorce due to 'irreconcilable diffrences'.Then the wealth is split equally btw the 2 even though they styed 6 mths tgether.Ouch that bites hard.
To avoid all this,they sign and you must agree to thet b4 u tie the knot so tht fights over property dont arise.
Its catching ground here in Africa among sme people I wont mention names lol
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jun 13, 2011
upendo 98:

If you are in relationship and it looks the kind thet will lead to marriage,then you bring up the talk about prenupt agreement, what do you think will happen to tha relationship?

this woman will understand that i am a careful man and want to protect my wealth. i will also make her understand that a prenup is worthless IF we stay together for the rest of our lives SO to get angry about it would surely mean SHE doesnt see us go all the way. lol

will you go ahead and marry with a prenupt signed? or will you walk out?

you mean WITHOUT one? i will simply walk away! no love is too good to lose what i have built all my damn life. N O N E!!!!!!

Rember the agreement is supposed to protect your assets.Good eg the hollywood celebs do it cz the women marry and after 6 months wnat divorce due to 'irreconcilable diffrences'.Then the wealth is split equally btw the 2 even though they styed 6 mths tgether.Ouch that bites hard.

nobody gets half in Hollywood after 6months of marriage EVEN IF THEY HAVE KIDS. most people who got half did so because they were together when the guy was poor and there when he built that fortune over a LONG period of time aka Steven Spielberg etc

nowadays they are lucky if they get even 10%. Tiger Wood had a prenup and his wife was only entitled to 20MILL (initially) but he gave her the big paycheck so that she could shut up (she cant legally talk about what happened) and make him look good for his very generous sponsors.
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by upendo98(f): 9:10pm On Jun 13, 2011
BROWN JAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lOl Now you just openEd up a can of worms oops! sorry, not worms but RATTLESNAKES!!!!
What does the typical African man got to say here? lol
You seem to read my mind very well
Now somebody has this question already in their mind.

@ What does being one mean?If you want to marry me then what I own automatically becomes yours and viceversa.
@ Dont you think that a prenupt makes marriage a business contract
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jun 13, 2011
upendo 98:

@ What does being one mean?If you want to marry me then what I own automatically becomes yours and viceversa.

you are ABSOLUTELY right. so lets look at it differently. lets say that i am A(15) and she is B(10), together as ONE we make C(25), fair enough BUT the moment we split up then i should go back to being A and she B. why would you expect us now to make a new arrangement where we will both be D(12,5) makes no sense to ME.

@ Dont you think that a prenupt makes marriage a business contract

not at all. business is business and will always be BUSINESS. if someone marries me for me then MY business has nothing to do with the equation, even though i will let her enjoy the perks of that business.
now if we have kids along the way then i will make sure that i give her enough to take care of these kids IF she is the sole carer BUT her asss is OUT of the loop!!!!
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by obowunmi(m): 9:54pm On Jun 13, 2011
In law, they teach you that marriage is a civil contract.
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by upendo98(f): 10:03pm On Jun 13, 2011
You Brownjay you are overlooking several factors here.
Fine yours is say A(15) and hers B(10). Okay you total C(25). Then somewhere along the marriage, you mess and ur left with D(5)instead of A(15)!
she on the other hand works very hard and hers becomes E(20) up from B(10)
1.When you go separate? will you claim,A(15) or D(5)
2. Will she claim B(10)or E(20)??

That means,with a prenupt arrangement.,what you came with may may not  be necessarily what you leave with.
And that applies more to the person that came with more.He could still lose a lot and leave empty.
Then what
But if there was no prenupt,then what you have you share equally.
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jun 13, 2011
^^dont misunderstand me.
everything WE(me and the wifey) make during this marriage will be split equally BUT if i came in with a house then i will definitely leave with that house as MINE(or whatever other assets i had before marriage).
on the other hand, if i have a business worth 10milla and we get married and, when she leaves, that biz is worth 15milla then she will be entitled to half of 5milla (minus the expenses of course)!

so to your question: if she made 10 during that marriage then i will ask for my damn share of that extra 10 she made while with me, why shouldnt i?

i dont really mind if i lose any assets to poor judgment (thats the law of life) but i definitely will mind losing it to a greedy spouse.
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by Jamesdman(m): 10:39pm On Jun 13, 2011
I tink d prenuptial agreement its a vry gud, infact EXCELLENT arangement. It helps one 2 knw if d potential marriage partners dat cums one's way re genuine or jst afta one's hard earned wealth. In a way, its lyk a sieve, sievin out those who luv u 4 WAT u are (or wat u have) n nt WHO u are. A person truely luvs u wud happy sign d agreement, bcoz he/she doesn't luk 4ward 2 d crashin of d marriage, he/she @ dat point in time, only sees a happy marriage lyf lastin 4 as long as u both may live, therefore d agreement won't cum into play.
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by upendo98(f): 10:57pm On Jun 13, 2011
lol people.

brownjay seriously, in that case then men also ought to move into their wive's house when they marry.ok am assuming she isnt leaving wth parents at the tyme of marrige.Then we can also boast 'i came wth my house u know' grin
Now if all I came with are my pots and pans and I take care of the home eg i am housewife like in some cases. then what now?
I leave with pots after investing time and energy bringing our kids while you worked?
You know I once heard a case whether the woman demanded payment for wear and tear since she was a house wife while the dude worked?
See how bad prenupt can be?
Sieving is good yes.So now w are saying that signing a prenup is a sign of true love?
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jun 13, 2011
upendo 98:

lol people.
brownjay seriously, in that case then men also ought to move into their wive's house when they marry.ok am assuming she isnt leaving wth parents at the tyme of marrige.Then we can also boast 'i came wth my house u know' grin

you dont look at the big picture. there is nothing wrong in having TWO houses, isnt it? one for the weekends and one for weekdays. one house to get away from the hustle of the week. why not? if its a BIG deal after marriage to have 2 houses then rent it out, et voila!

Now if all I came with are my pots and pans and I take care of the home eg i am housewife like in some cases. then what now? I leave with pots after investing time and energy bringing our kids while you worked?
You know I once heard a case whether the woman demanded payment for wear and tear since she was a house wife while the dude worked?

of course if a woman is a housewife and hubby made a fortune then she is entitled to some of the money he made while they were together BUT, if he made nothing then she is entitled to NOTHING.

may i ask WHAT do you wish to leave with?! lol typical of "some" women to expect a share of something you didnt contribute in ANY way to.

See how bad prenupt can be?

anyone who tells you that prenup are bad ARE BROKE ASSS PEOPLE who aint got a pot to piss in. hard working people want to protect their lifetime hard work and there is nothing wrong in that.

So now w are saying that signing a prenup is a sign of true love?

i dont know if it is a sign of true love or not BUT it sure aint a sign of hate either. people should decide what is best for THEM. if some guy want to go and marry without a prenup then fair enough but i sure will ever make that silly mistake . . . . . . . . . . .and will advise ANYONE with any assets to do the same, whether male or female.
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by upendo98(f): 11:56pm On Jun 13, 2011
mmmh dude, i would hate to be in a boardroom with you. You have the answer to everything and they look reasonable enough especially in this crazy world!!!!!
so now we have tangible assets. And we split according to a certain ratio based on 2 things.

a) what each came with separately
b) what we both made during marriage

if u caused me depression, can i convert it into monetary value? and if so how? note: i never went to the doc. i just grew very thin.
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by Nobody: 12:16am On Jun 14, 2011
^^^how can a man make you depressed? if you are, then you should change your life and not stick to it. if you decided to stick to being married then thats YOUR fault, not mine.
anything you bring to the table, that has NO monetary value, i can bring it too: stress of working long hours to provide for YOU etc

the comfort of doing absolutely NOTHING all week long IS the unwritten reward of being a housewife, and that is worth GAZILLIONS.
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by upendo98(f): 12:23am On Jun 14, 2011
shocked shocked
Brown jay! Afrocinema continues shortly.I will be back soon.
Hold on to the thread.
Breaktime 4 me
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by iice(f): 2:11am On Jun 14, 2011
See nothing wrong with it. If you want it, do have it. If you don't, then don't. To each his own
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by upendo98(f): 7:55am On Jun 14, 2011
you are right iice.now imagine this.
You have met this lovely man or woman of your dreams.You date and as usual you dont talk about prenupt while dating till you are ready to cross the bridge.
The day you mention that she must sign the prenup b4 marriage she/he changes and thinks you are being mean.She wont sign cz she believes when you get married everything is both yours whether you came wth a palace and she, pots and pans.
Will you drop her like hot potato or[b] marry her without prenup cz shes got all your looking for in a partner??[/b]yet uv really invested in the relationship as in given it your time,money etc etc.
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by kpolli(m): 9:51am On Jun 14, 2011
i tot it was to protect the guy's assets except ur richer than ur dude, shocked
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by upendo98(f): 10:27am On Jun 14, 2011
@kpolli.

either way.

If its the gal insisting that you sign cz shes wealthier will you sign? if its the guy demanding will you as a gal sign.?

if she or he refuses,will you dump her and diregard his /her good qualities that brought you together in the first place?
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by kpolli(m): 10:32am On Jun 14, 2011
i wud sign naaaa

no be her money n i wud also sign that she doesnt spend a dime on me, cos i marry a rich girl doesnt mean i wont be able to afford to take care of my family
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by iice(f): 11:08am On Jun 14, 2011
upendo 98:

you are right iice.now imagine this.
You have met this lovely man or woman of your dreams.You date and as usual you dont talk about prenupt while dating till you are ready to cross the bridge.
The day you mention that she must sign the prenup b4 marriage she/he changes and thinks you are being mean.She wont sign cz she believes when you get married everything is both yours whether you came wth a palace and she, pots and pans.
Will you drop her like hot potato or[b] marry her without prenup cz shes got all your looking for in a partner??[/b]yet uv really invested in the relationship as in given it your time,money etc etc.

Can't speak for another. Doubt i will be in that situation, but even if i never did discuss prenupt somewhere along the line. I'm a practical and mental person. I don't see anything wrong with protecting assets. It's not always a no win situation. Some prenupts do give the women/men, maybe not half the assets but still a comfortable chunk in the event of a divorce. It's also a way of safeguarding your properties to pass down to generation of your bloodline.
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by upendo98(f): 11:12am On Jun 14, 2011
do we africans embrace this??
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by babyboy3(m): 11:33am On Jun 14, 2011
I support it 100%

I could remember lawyers trying to push Tiger Woods wife to take everything he worked for why?

I could also remember Heather MaCarthy pushing for half of Sir Paul MaCarthy wealth despite the fact that she wasnt there in the begining and only been in marriage with Paul for 4 years, but thank God the judge saw some sense!
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by upendo98(f): 11:37am On Jun 14, 2011
^^^^
seriously that story of MaCarthy made sick.The guy had made it already.Then the marriage only lasted like what?/ then she wants half?
made me question the reason she married him.
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by Sagamite(m): 11:42am On Jun 14, 2011
It shouldn't be, but if it is then . . . . . . to hell with you.

As long as there is some crazy concept hanging over what I have worked hard for all my life and the rewards, I will do what I have to do to protect. More so when there is a 50-50 chance your so-called love will not last.

If you don't like it, really, from the bottom of my heart, deep down of it take a fcking hike!
Re: Are Prenuptial Agreements A Death Knell For Romance? by Sagamite(m): 11:54am On Jun 14, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

^^dont misunderstand me.
everything WE(me and the wifey) make during this marriage will be split equally BUT if i came in with a house then i will definitely leave with that house as MINE(or whatever other assets i had before marriage).
on the other hand, if i have a business worth 10milla and we get married and, when she leaves, that biz is worth 15milla then she will be entitled to half of 5milla (minus the expenses of course)!

Most of what I make during a marriage will, most probably, be based on, and be returns of, my hard work in my youth (whilst my peers dey chase skirts or trying to learn the latest rap instead of reading their books). I aint gaddamn sharing half of the delayed-returns of my puerile hardwork with anybody.

I will share it based on a fair-basis analysis of her direct contribution to it or based on compensation of her losses.

For example, if I made 10m during the marriage and she had 3 kids and had to take time off her £80K work for roughly 3 years during the marriage and she did not contribute directly to the 10m, I will compensate her based on the level her peers that did not have such hinderance (i.e. mainly male) are earning on average plus what I feel like giving her out of goodwill (which will not be half).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Guys Come Share The Promises U Made To A Girl During Sex / Sexy Braless, Pantless Half Dressed Ladies Twerk To Celebrates New Year, See Rea / She Will Pretend As If She's Sleeping When U Are Touching Her.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.