Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,285 members, 7,811,841 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:01 PM

If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. (116578 Views)

Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Historical Sites In The Bende And Cross River Regions (photos) / Meeting! Topic: Is Our Culture A Curse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by Nobody: 9:52pm On Apr 12, 2010
does this thread have a moderator?
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by idifu(m): 5:31pm On Apr 13, 2010
i was born in Cross river to a cross river woman on Atu street , my dad is yoruba man from Abeokuta,It saddens my heart dat i cant speak my mother's tongue sad
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by jamace(m): 1:53am On Apr 14, 2010
does this thread have a moderator?
Is there any Thread that has a moderator in this Forum?

i was born in Cross river to a cross river woman on Atu street , my dad is yoruba man from Abeokuta,It saddens my heart dat i cant speak my mother's tongue sad
Ku tuwa eyet, Eye fon, eyen eka mi.
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by jamace(m): 8:23pm On May 05, 2010
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by Ndipe(m): 10:04pm On May 07, 2010
What's the purpose of buying "Okukim eron" to the parents of the first born daughter in our culture during the Mbip ceremony?
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by jamace(m): 4:02pm On May 24, 2010
Ufan Ndipe, aba die? Ami ndiongo ke o. Ufok, mbok ani owo ediongo?
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by jamace(m): 8:51am On Jun 27, 2010
Ekom do oooo, kpukpuru mbufo. cheesy cheesy
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by IniUbom(m): 6:27am On Jun 28, 2010
Ekom do oooo, kpukpuru mbufo.
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by mki: 1:16am On Jul 02, 2010
You people should write in English because we want to know what you are yapping about. You may be planning something evil or even abusing the rest of us.
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by boobyman: 11:05am On Jul 02, 2010
what do u call breasts in efik and ibibio
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by Vainglory: 11:38pm On Jul 02, 2010
So so U fok M fok U fok M fok, What is going on here?
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by jamace(m): 9:59am On Jul 05, 2010
You people should write in English because we want to know what you are yapping about. You may be planning something evil or even abusing the rest of us.

Don't you know this is CULTURE SECTION? Unam ikot angry.
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by Ndipe(m): 4:05am On Jul 07, 2010
jamace:

Don't you know this is CULTURE SECTION? Unam ikot angry.

The insult was uncalled for!
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by EmemJU(f): 12:26pm On Jul 08, 2010
Ndipe:

What's the purpose of buying "Okukim eron" to the parents of the first born daughter in our culture during the Mbip ceremony?

@ Ndipe - ah, ebi inam 'awa oduok, awa oduongo", ada uwa idiong o and if u r a christian and ur parents never partook in other people's own u can stand ur ground and resist, for my sis, our famil didnt even bring it up cos dem kno say, no way we no de dat kain levels,
but some insist and even get diabolical ontop it, it should be a fading culture,IMO, those that stil hold on to it are just trying to be funny,
they also say refusal to do it has some implications o, according to them cos for me, it's what u believe that works
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by Ndipe(m): 11:08pm On Jul 08, 2010
EmemJU:

@ Ndipe - ah, ebi inam 'awa oduok, awa oduongo", ada uwa idiong o and if u r a christian and your parents never partook in other people's own u can stand your ground and resist, for my sis, our famil didnt even bring it up cos dem kno say, no way we no de dat kain levels,
but some insist and even get diabolical ontop it, it should be a fading culture,IMO, those that stil hold on to it are just trying to be funny,
they also say refusal to do it has some implications o, according to them cos for me, it's what u believe that works

Yeah, I know that our custom mandates that an Okukim should be presented to the Adiaha's family when she is getting married. But what is the purpose? My understanding is that it is killed to use for native rituals with the belief that the girl, prior to her birth was already married in the spirit world. No way would I sanction such practises and no, I wont even partake in eating an okukim eron if I know of it. Parents whose first daughters were not married traditionally cant eat another person's okukim for fear that they will die.
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by EmemJU(f): 7:54am On Jul 09, 2010
Ndipe:

Yeah, I know that our custom mandates that an Okukim should be presented to the Adiaha's family when she is getting married. But what is the purpose? My understanding is that it is killed to use for native rituals with the belief that the girl, prior to her birth was already married in the spirit world. No way would I sanction such practises and no, I wont even partake in eating an okukim eron if I know of it. Parents whose first daughters were not married traditionally cant eat another person's okukim for fear that they will die.

exactly my point, it is an abhorrent fetish ritual (it's really 2 that's given, i hear, one is buried alive and the other is killed and eaten) that some people are still holding onto becos of their belief in 'consequences', actually, it's more like,if ur parents had at some point partaken of another person's daughter's okukim eron, they fear they will die if they dont do the ritual for their adiaha too, and it is said that they dont eat or even drink water in that daughter's house for fear of death (or some such ridiculous believe)

like i said, a lot depends on the parents believe, my parents never engaged in any such thing so when it got to our turn, no such thing was expected of us, it's good if u say u r a christian and u stand up for ur belief and ur family and friends know what bounds u cant overstep, then they wont even suggest somethings,
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by Sangman(m): 6:59pm On Jul 09, 2010
Ekom do-o!
I'd like to know how well attended are the Akwa Ibom State Nat'l conventions in the U.S.? I've recently learned about the upcoming one in Baltimore, MD, but know very few ppl from NY who are attending? Anyone care to share past experiences?
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by Ndipe(m): 9:39pm On Jul 09, 2010
EmemJU:

exactly my point, it is an abhorrent fetish ritual (it's really 2 that's given, i hear, one is buried alive and the other is killed and eaten) that some people are still holding onto becos of their belief in 'consequences', actually, it's more like,if your parents had at some point partaken of another person's daughter's okukim eron, they fear they will die if they dont do the ritual for their adiaha too, and it is said that they dont eat or even drink water in that daughter's house for fear of death (or some such ridiculous believe)

like i said, a lot depends on the parents believe, my parents never engaged in any such thing so when it got to our turn, no such thing was expected of us, it's good if u say u r a christian and u stand up for your belief and your family and friends know what bounds u cant overstep, then they wont even suggest somethings,

When I asked my uncle for a detailed explanation, he just told me that it is just a customary demand, and nothing else. I dont know if he is completely unaware of the fetish rituals that is involved in it, because I am aware of it. And you know that in our culture, an Adiaha, is not 'properly married' if an Okukim is not presented to the family. Some Christians nowadays choose to refrain from partaking in this rituals and will strike a compromise by just giving the girl's family money to take care of their business, without being involved in it. Not that it's confusing, I know my stance on such acts. Never will I partake in it, and for you, an Ibibio girl, who might be under the constraints of culture, it's refreshing to know that you are on the same wavelength as I am.

Those diabolical acts always have dire consequences
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by EmemJU(f): 6:28am On Jul 10, 2010
Ndipe:

When I asked my uncle for a detailed explanation, he just told me that it is just a customary demand, and nothing else. I dont know if he is completely unaware of the fetish rituals that is involved in it, because I am aware of it. And you know that in our culture, an Adiaha, is not 'properly married' if an Okukim is not presented to the family. Some Christians nowadays choose to refrain from partaking in this rituals and will strike a compromise by just giving the girl's family money to take care of their business, without being involved in it. Not that it's confusing, I know my stance on such acts. Never will I partake in it, and for you, an Ibibio girl, who might be under the constraints of culture, it's refreshing to know that you are on the same wavelength as I am.

Those diabolical acts always have dire consequences

you are very right!! some people think that giving money is a viable option, afterall they wont be there to partake of it, but to me, i think since it's done in the person's name, it's just as if she was there, from experience, i make bold to say that an entire family can decide not to perpetuate such acts and it will stand, nothing will happen to anybody, my family is a clear example,
i called an aunt of mine on this yesterday, cos i had heard while growing up that it was done for her and her daughter got married last year and wanted to know if it was done for the girl, she said God forbid!! that the didnt do it, and that if she had known then, she wouldnt have allowed it do be done on her head. she went further to say that most times, for people that refuse to do it when the family demands, it is not any spiritual consequences 'anything', that it's just some diabolical people that conjure up those things that affect the ones involved and then of course, everyone will say it's becos they didnt do it.

God will keep u!!

2 Likes

Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by jamace(m): 1:47pm On Jul 10, 2010
The insult was uncalled for!

Mbok, ku yak esit.
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by Ndipe(m): 10:46pm On Jul 10, 2010
EmemJU:

you are very right!! some people think that giving money is a viable option, afterall they wont be there to partake of it, but to me, i think since it's done in the person's name, it's just as if she was there, from experience, i make bold to say that an entire family can decide not to perpetuate such acts and it will stand, nothing will happen to anybody, my family is a clear example,
i called an aunt of mine on this yesterday, cos i had heard while growing up that it was done for her and her daughter got married last year and wanted to know if it was done for the girl, she said God forbid!! that the didnt do it, and that if she had known then, she wouldnt have allowed it do be done on her head. she went further to say that most times, for people that refuse to do it when the family demands, it is not any spiritual consequences 'anything', that it's just some diabolical people that conjure up those things that affect the ones involved and then of course, everyone will say it's becos they didnt do it.

God will keep u!!

GBAM! You got that right. My uncle was just saying people demand Okukim just for "nduta" but there are diabolical people, as you mentioned, who would conjure evil to haunt the innocent party on grounds that the traditional demands for the trado marriage were not met and havoc will ensue in the family. I had been thinking about it, and realize that while some people do it out of ignorance, others do so out of fear of a reprisal by evil spirits. As for me, Ubok mi, ukot mi, isangake do. I dont blame people though, who fed up with this wickedness choose to marry an American girl to save them that kind of wahala.
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by uchewali86: 8:33am On Jul 15, 2010
Please, I am an Igbo man. I remember hearing this song when I was young. Part of the lyrics says "Obong sosongo ke fo ri ma nfo". Im not sure whether I said it right or if the lyrics are spelled correctly. Please, can someone right the lyrics for me and the full song. Also, translate it. God bless you.

-Uche
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by snazzydawn(f): 9:38am On Jul 15, 2010
Iya,itie mi mmo do asuk aba? Ndito eka mmi,emesierie o. Akpene tutu.
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by jamace(m): 6:27pm On Jul 15, 2010
^^^^
O o. Sista, eme di o. Akpene tutu.

Mbok, ami dughe ke Akwa Ibom. Kpukpuru usen, nkut ke Television mkpo emi Govnor Akpabio anam de. Mbume mi edi, nsitibe emi mbon owo esi dogho de ete ke Govnor Akabio isi namke nkpo domokiet?

Mfin, President Goodluck Jonathan mmo ke Akwa Ibom. Aka di commission mme projects emi Govnor anamde.
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by jamace(m): 9:55pm On Jul 23, 2010
Emem Abasi odu ye kpukpuru mbufo.
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by jamace(m): 1:42pm On Aug 01, 2010
Yak emem Abasi ye inem esit odu ye kpukpuru mbufo k'usen Abasi mfin.
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by mylove4him(f): 4:35pm On Aug 02, 2010
jamace:

^^^^
O o. Sista, eme di o. Akpene tutu.

Mbok, ami dughe ke Akwa Ibom. Kpukpuru usen, nkut ke Television mkpo emi Govnor Akpabio anam de. Mbume mi edi, nsitibe emi mbon owo esi dogho de ete ke Govnor Akabio isi namke nkpo domokiet?

Mfin, President Goodluck Jonathan mmo ke Akwa Ibom. Aka di commission mme projects emi Govnor anamde.

@jamace-
Idoho nte ke adawkara nyin inamke nkpo.Ado ke aye ananam uyom aboho.Aye idipke ifed esie .Yak ami udoko ke mma ba ke akwa ibom usen PRESIDO GJ ake diehe.Uwak nkpo eboho ke eye ake commission do ado nkpo emi Gov nyin me imaha.Nte flyyover ado,owo imaha eye.flyover ado ita and kied kpod ke ema and afo aben Presido adi ate a commission uto mkpo ado.Govnor nnyin anam uyom aboho.Yak aye atum ase edem amooooo .2011 aya doro etieti.Amedioho ke mbon uwednkpo eke mummo do ke aba,ntak ake do ke govnor nyin ama no mmo million naira kied kied.Nsuto awo ase asio uto akuk odo ano mme owo essien no mmo eyung ufok mmo eke dia but mme owo ke ukang inyin mmo ebono ikute uto akuk ado.ABASI DOOOO.Ami nsuaha owo ndot uyo, aye anam usun etieti ohh.Mme no eye ubok ke eyendodo
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by tyra22: 12:52am On Aug 03, 2010
Please, I'm trying to learn the language and i need help translating the following message below. If anyone will help me, I appreciate it much.

Eyèneka mi,idem fö abadie?mbök yung waná reply
imaima, edioko. Mbon ufok ebadie. Kuom afro owo. Tia sung. Love u.
mmö ebãngá, mbök tim ba.love u too
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by jamace(m): 6:44pm On Aug 03, 2010
@jamace-
Idoho nte ke adawkara nyin inamke nkpo.Ado ke aye ananam uyom aboho.Aye idipke ifed esie .Yak ami udoko ke mma ba ke akwa ibom usen PRESIDO GJ ake diehe.Uwak nkpo eboho ke eye ake commission do ado nkpo emi Gov nyin me imaha.Nte flyyover ado,owo imaha eye.flyover ado ita and kied kpod ke ema and afo aben Presido adi ate a commission uto mkpo ado.Govnor nnyin anam uyom aboho.Yak aye atum ase edem amooooo .2011 aya doro etieti.Amedioho ke mbon uwednkpo eke mummo do  ke aba,ntak ake do ke govnor nyin ama no mmo million naira kied kied.Nsuto awo ase asio uto akuk odo ano mme owo essien no mmo eyung ufok mmo eke dia but mme owo ke ukang inyin mmo ebono ikute uto akuk ado.ABASI DOOOO.Ami nsuaha owo ndot uyo, aye anam usun etieti ohh.Mme no eye ubok ke eyendodo 

Sista, mmo kot nkpo emi afo ewet de. Mmo diongo idagha emi ntak emi mbufo eyak de esit.

Ama nam etie etie. Sosong o. Tie sung.
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by tyra22: 7:07pm On Aug 03, 2010
@jamace

Plz I see u r online here and i'm sorry to disturb u, but i need help plz. i have posted on the forum about needing help in translating a message. Will u kindly plz help me. I have posted it on this topic, which it's in this language.

Thank u
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by jamace(m): 8:17pm On Aug 10, 2010
Please, I'm trying to learn the language and i need help translating the following message below. If anyone will help me, I appreciate it much.

Eyèneka mi,idem fö abadie?mbök yung waná reply
imaima, edioko. Mbon ufok ebadie. Kuom afro owo. Tia sung. Love u.
mmö ebãngá, mbök tim ba.love u too

My brother, how are you? Please, I want to reply your many love. How are people at home doing? Greet everybody. Stay in peace. Love you. I'm fine. Please, take care. Love you too.
Re: If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. by jamace(m): 7:31pm On Aug 16, 2010
Emem ye usong idem odu ye mbufo.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (23) (Reply)

Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? / Yoruba Mythology / Ogoja, Cross River Where Cameroonian Mothers Iron Their Daughter's Breast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.