Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,302 members, 7,826,198 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister (9772 Views)

Tinubu Kicks As Obasanjo Suggests Soludo To Buhari As Finance Minister / Meet The Person Buhari May Likely Nominate As Finance Minister / Obasanjo Presents Soludo As Finance Minister, Tinubu Kicks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by EzeUche1(m): 9:34pm On Jun 24, 2011
What to do about Dame Patience? I hope she doesn't frustrate Aunty Ngozi like she did to Governor Amaechi. angry
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by olawalebabs(m): 9:34pm On Jun 24, 2011
9ja we love over hyping what more can she bring to table than what she did in her 3 years in government. Our problem is not personality, technocrat or politician. But SINCERITY of purpose.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by seanet02: 9:40pm On Jun 24, 2011
What surprised you toaskasity?
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by shadrach77: 9:43pm On Jun 24, 2011
@ moderator, you may want to correct the embarrasing front page grammatical blunder by adding the letter 'd' to the end of the word 'named' shocked shocked
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Seun(m): 9:44pm On Jun 24, 2011
It was just a typo.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by hbrednic: 9:58pm On Jun 24, 2011
wellcome home aunty ngozi,nigeria needs you.
one good shot from jona cheesy
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by gtrust: 10:18pm On Jun 24, 2011
She did not 'dash money' to Paris Club & London Club or IMF.
What she did is what is called quick settlement: it amounts to
20p per pound!
It's a good (infact, excellent) deal and ONLY the rich can avail of it.

You need to blame the person (or people) who arranged those extraordinarily
high interest rate loans ab-initio.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by MPEROR: 10:24pm On Jun 24, 2011
Now we hope her ideas will includes creating millions of jobs in a hurry or bringing somebody who can

Our graduates are losing hope

Thanks madam for coming back
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by SSaemoenl(m): 10:35pm On Jun 24, 2011
No miracle is going to happen as long corruption is not checked from the highest level (Authority Stealing). We cannot expect her to do wonders when people are busy drying the treasury. embarassed sad angry
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Sagamite(m): 10:58pm On Jun 24, 2011
Whilst I have a lot of respect for this woman (based on her capability and intentions) and I applaud the plan, I think it is healthy that after 4 years of this, there is someone appointed with slightly differing view to hers to a position that allows the person to act as a balance and challenger of rationale.

It will not be too healthy to have someone dictate our financial policy on a long term basis without challenge. Most human beings are fallible, no matter how good they are.

If not, there should be a community of her peers to make decisions.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by congoshine(m): 11:37pm On Jun 24, 2011
She's a solid role model for all Nigerians.

Tho' I learnt her husband was canning some young girl some years back - she needs to supply the man with action once in a while and not focus solely on these powerful positions.

Charity begins at home as they say wink
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Johnpaul2k2(m): 11:43pm On Jun 24, 2011
hope i wouldn't hear another story 'all together' ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by ideylaff: 12:42am On Jun 25, 2011
9ja we love over hyping what more can she bring to table than what she did in her 3 years in government. Our problem is not personality, technocrat or politician. But SINCERITY of purpose.

GBAM, Thanks @olawaleba bro, "over hyping " is putting it lightly, a country of 150 million begging 1 person, whats going to change nor be PDP.Tccschewww na Political move to give GEJ some credibility nothing else,

she also look to have some hidden political agenda, if she wants to hand around vultures within GEJ's fold,
I'm not jumping up yet, know 9ja 2 much,

Time 4 some Ethnic consultant appointments within the Finance Ministry to chop again, Mansour Muktar was the acton man as far as I'm concerned when she was last in that seat,

Good luck to her though
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by cap28: 12:55am On Jun 25, 2011
Can someone plse explain to me why they think this woman is a good choice, for starters i'd like to know how the average nigerian benefitted from the $12 billion payment she made to the Paris club in PART payment of nigeria's debt in 2007 ? Did the living standards of the average nigerian improve after that massive chunk of money was paid in the space of ONE YEAR to foreign creditors?
Is there any likelihood that the living standards of the average nigerian will improve with her in this position?
What exactly is her long term objective for the nigerian economy? will she be recommending the sale of MORE of nigeria's public services to GEJ's buddies and foreign investors for pennies? Will she be recommending that the naira be devalued in accordance with her masters over at the IMF and the world bank? Will she be recommending even more draconian IMF structural adjustment policies in accordance with her masters instructions over in washington in order to keep nigeria on a permanent downward economic spiral?
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Donmeca(m): 1:18am On Jun 25, 2011
Good appointment if it pulls tru. I'm afraid though that some people may see this as an opportunity to dimnish her larger-than-life image. they may want to show her that this is Africa where a woman's education and achievement ends in d kitchen. I doubt if OBJ ever 4gives or 4gets but God will protect her and guide on the side of the masses.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by aloyemeka1: 3:03am On Jun 25, 2011
Sagamite:

Whilst I have a lot of respect for this woman (based on her capability and intentions) and I applaud the plan, I think it is healthy that after 4 years of this, there is someone appointed with slightly differing view to hers to a position that allows the person to act as a balance and challenger of rationale.

It will not be too healthy to have someone dictate our financial policy on a long term basis without challenge. Most human beings are fallible, no matter how good they are.

If not, there should be a community of her peers to make decisions.

Gbam
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Nobody: 3:50am On Jun 25, 2011
cap28:

Can someone plse explain to me why they think this woman is a good choice, for starters i'd like to know how the average nigerian benefitted from the $12 billion payment she made to the Paris club in PART payment of nigeria's debt in 2007 ? Did the living standards of the average nigerian improve after that massive chunk of money was paid in the space of ONE YEAR to foreign creditors?
Is there any likelihood that the living standards of the average nigerian will improve with her in this position?
What exactly is her long term objective for the nigerian economy? will she be recommending the sale of MORE of nigeria's public services to GEJ's buddies and foreign investors for pennies? Will she be recommending that the naira be devalued in accordance with her masters over at the IMF and the world bank? Will she be recommending even more draconian IMF structural adjustment policies in accordance with her masters instructions over in washington in order to keep nigeria on a permanent downward economic spiral?

Interesting questions i must say but Im afraid U wont get any interesting answers. e are still starry eyed about the idea of a workd bank staff among us. angry

Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by MMM2(m): 6:14am On Jun 25, 2011
Good
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Nobody: 6:44am On Jun 25, 2011
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by enyojo(f): 8:24am On Jun 25, 2011
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by enyojo(f): 9:05am On Jun 25, 2011
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
Nigeria's first female Finance Minister wants to make sure her country's petrodollars help people

"Monkey they work, baboon they chop" goes an old Nigerian saying. The people work while their leaders eat. Not Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala. Nigeria's combative Finance Minister has rolled up her sleeves since her appointment last year by President Olusegun Obasanjo. A former World Bank vice president, Okonjo-Iweala, 50, was lured back from Washington to her oil-rich yet impoverished West African nation of 130 million to fix its chaotic finances and clean up corruption. The bottom line: the Nigerian government exported $20 billion worth of oil last year, but its people still scrape by on an average wage of just a dollar a day. Okonjo-Iweala's mission is to make sure more of those billions go to roads, schools and health care.

Fixing Africa's broken giant is no easy task. Berlin-based watchdog Transparency International ranks Nigeria the second most corrupt place in the world, after Bangladesh. Oil money has often been wasted in kickbacks and bribes. The country's economy has struggled with years of mismanagement. Okonjo-Iweala, who studied at Harvard and M.I.T., has begun trimming Nigeria's bloated civil service, cut fuel subsidies and begun accounting for all the money the government spends. She has also helped set up an antifraud team to crack down on "419" letter and Internet advance-fee scams, which bilk everyone from unsuspecting pensioners to large banks by convincing them to part with their money on the promise of a cut of hidden "millions." The team has already caught more than 500 people.

Yet to hear her tell it, she's on the receiving end. "I've been very grateful for what my life has become," says Okonjo-Iweala. "My motivation is to take whatever knowledge I have and put it to the use of my country." Other ministers, who earn around $6,000 a year, initially questioned her hefty (more than $240,000) salary, paid by the United Nations in a program to repatriate Nigeria's best brains. The scam artists want to kill her, she says, because they don't like her meddling. But Okonjo-Iweala, a mother of four, can play tough too. When President Obasanjo announced he had removed the vital budget and planning departments from her ministry, Okonjo-Iweala quit, returning only when the President backed down.

Improving Nigeria's image, she says, is as important as fixing its economy. "It is a sense of anger that drives me. Anger that this country [and] the Nigerians that I know are being maligned by a small percentage," she says. "You have to do something to clean this up. You can't always look up to other people do to it. The fight begins with you." And with that, she gets back to work.
— By Simon Robinson, With Gilbert Da Costa/Abuja

SOURCE: TIME MAGAZINE http://www.time.com/time/europe/hero2004/iweala.html

Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Ryabcool(m): 9:08am On Jun 25, 2011
Be careful what you wish for, lipsrsealed
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by namfav(m): 9:24am On Jun 25, 2011
she doesn't have the character or charisma to lead the country
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by kafanchan: 10:00am On Jun 25, 2011
Aunty Ngozi, ori e wambe, wa sere iya. Ori e fokasibe joo. U too mos. I ll rather have Nigerian Economy run by world bank abi na IMF una call am rather than being run by d.i.c.k headed Aganga. Atleast Aunty Ngozi go teach Sanusi basic convetional economics needed to run this country. E be like say na only Islamic finance and economics sanusi sabi.
I may not be right but I think Nigerian economy was better under the pair of Ngozi and Soludo than any other pair after them. So I still want her as Federal Minister and Soludo as state finance minister. With that Sanusi cannot dribble them as he dribbled Aganga.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by btyfulmnd(m): 10:01am On Jun 25, 2011
I think it is a good idea,we need somebody like that to put a check on Sanusi.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by queensmith: 11:21am On Jun 25, 2011
how much will she be paid- who will pay her?

If the same dispute that arose before will stirr up the cabinet again i dont think this is the swiftest move- she should have just been emplyed on a contractual basis to give advise to the finance minister and president of CBN (a reason these are 2 different things continues to ellude me)
especially now since there are talks of slashing the senates budget which will in no doubt also affect the various ministries- can we REALLY afford this woman?

No doubt she is brilliant but unless she can take up the roles of the 36 ministers we have i dont see this as a move that will gather cheers
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by ypad: 11:39am On Jun 25, 2011
show us from satellite.  you cant make statement without prove. even the amount paid to imo and abia state. is too much ,  

and I doubt if she understand what longitude and latitude is?  The way her ministry allocated the oil derivation shows, her geography has problem.

I think she never find out how much oil each state produced. she just gave them numbers based on state she like or not.

she was only trying to help her husband people in abia state by making the claim. she was just been emotional

I laugh in zebrudaya english.

It's so obvious that your views are out of ignorant and I wonder the kind of contribution people of your type can make to the progress of Nigeria. Lets I forget you don't seem to be a Nigerian.

There is cude oil in Abia and Imo state. Recently crude oil has been discovered by shell in Anam, Anambara state.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Sagamite(m): 12:24pm On Jun 25, 2011
namfav:

she doesn't have the character or charisma to lead the country

What character or charisma is required to lead the country?
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by namfav(m): 12:34pm On Jun 25, 2011
Sagamite:

What character or charisma is required to lead the country?

when she was minster of foreign affairs she sulked, politicians do not sulk lol, politics is serious business, she may have worked overseas but so did sanusi, dr mansour and many other nigerian economists that means nothing, some people are not born with leadership skills where they study means nothing she is an obviously educated woman but she doesn't have the character and charisma, very few people in nigeria will take her siously
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jun 25, 2011
[size=16pt]Hype!  Hype!   Hype! HURRAH[/size]
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by otokx(m): 12:43pm On Jun 25, 2011
over hyped
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Sagamite(m): 12:46pm On Jun 25, 2011
namfav:

when she was minster of foreign affairs she sulked, politicians do not sulk lol, politics is serious business, she may have worked overseas but so did sanusi, dr mansour and many other nigerian economists that means nothing, some people are not born with leadership skills where they study means nothing she is an obviously educated woman but she doesn't have the character and charisma, very few people in nigeria will take her siously

I don't know what you mean by sulk. Not taking shyt and having some moral discipline and knowing your worth is not sulking.

A useless foool with nothing to offer is more likely to stay somewhere because they know that is the only garri they can get. She is highly educated and extremely intelligent and has enough experience to back her up to the point she does not need to kiss any arse. That is not sulking. That is knowing your worth and being worth a lot.

If she was not born with leadership skills, she would not (a) have got to the top in world bank and (b) would not have been invited back to the top at world bank.

In regards to very few in Nigeria taking her seriously, remember, very few in Nigeria are sane and refined. Most are shyt heads so not a problem if that was the case. We the few need to change the mentality of the insane to kowtow to their desires of leadership.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who was Nigeria Best President? (poll) / "EFCC Knows Where Maina Is" - Dennis Amacree, Ex-DSS Director / Abiodun Gives Free Land To 2,000 Farmers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.