Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,500 members, 7,954,918 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:31 PM

Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister (9875 Views)

Tinubu Kicks As Obasanjo Suggests Soludo To Buhari As Finance Minister / Meet The Person Buhari May Likely Nominate As Finance Minister / Obasanjo Presents Soludo As Finance Minister, Tinubu Kicks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Sagamite(m): 12:20am On Jun 26, 2011
namfav:

shamsuddeen usman
sanusi
dr mansur
dr adesina
dr adedeji

5 are you happy? i can give you an example, yar'adua was our governor for about 8 years, right at the end of his tenure from governership he became president of nigeria, there are many other examples but i just gave you a good one

No, I am not happy.

I asked you 3 questions, you answered 1.

The one you answered, you gave me a list of people of quota system. You think World Bank is qouta system.

Please try again.

List the better economists in Nigeria that are period.

List 5 people that have got to the top of their workplace in 10 years.

Furthermore, explain to me where you plan to work in future and get to be head honcho in 10 years. I am damn curious!
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by namfav(m): 9:45am On Jun 26, 2011
Sagamite:

No, I am not happy.

I asked you 3 questions, you answered 1.

The one you answered, you gave me a list of people of quota system. You think World Bank is qouta system.

Please try again.

List the better economists in Nigeria that are period.

List 5 people that have got to the top of their workplace in 10 years.

Furthermore, explain to me where you plan to work in future and get to be head honcho in 10 years. I am damn curious!

man i cannot answer those questions in full but i did my best to answer some of it, i know what i am talking about
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by aribisala0(m): 10:03am On Jun 26, 2011
is there a ranking/league table or directory of economists ?
how good an economist is okonjo-iweala?
is she an economist now? or something else.
how do we know who is better .where does it say economists are the best people to run the ministry of finance.

quite a lot of assumptions S seems to be making .

was awolowo an economist ? who is an economist ?
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Sagamite(m): 10:11am On Jun 26, 2011
namfav:

man i cannot answer those questions in full but i did my best to answer some of it, i know what i am talking about

Good.

I asked the questions because I knew you would struggle to answer it so as to show you that you should not make claims that cannot be backed up and to show you that your belief that after 10 years of your masters you will be running things in an organisation that is not yours or your relatives.

FACTS:

- There are hardly any economics you can name that are above this woman in Nigeria. She is one of the best in the world, not even just Nigeria. The world's media keep on singing her praise as someone in a different league and that is why she can reach MD in World Bank. World Bank is not a place of joke like Nigeria, you must be at least someone in the academic peaks (one of the best) to reach the top.

- There will be hardly anyone that has ever reached the top of a company in 10 years without a connections leg-over. If you find any, it will be one of the few anomalies on Earth, not a norm. It will be as frequent as finding a Siamese twins birth. Running a large complex operation efficiently requires years of learning that 10 years will hardly be sufficient for. Her achievement of reaching MD at World Bank is a huge achievement.

- It is good to have your youthful exuberance. It is quite healthy but when you grow up, you will realise that is virtually impossible in a merit based setting to get to the top after 10 years even with 2 PhDs, talkless of Masters. There are more intelligent people than leadership positions and getting to the top in a company that is not yours involves more internal politics than you are aware. Someone being a GM at a bank does not mean they are less capable than the CEO or Executive Directors.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by aribisala0(m): 10:42am On Jun 26, 2011
firstly there are economists who are academics and excel in that realm without any practical experience then there are those who work in the private sector often banks and possess a range of skills particularly management that are not the preserve or necessarily in the domain of eonomics more of a banker or some mixture of skills.

by wat criteria do we determine who is a good economist ? is it publications,award celebrity,acclaim or what?

i do not believe there is any objective way of determining how good in comparison to other nigeriAN economists this woman is. to claim she is one of the best is a huge leap like saying the same thing for all who have occupied the office  before her or that all american presidents are great politicians/administrators. ditto for ban ki moon ,kofi annan,boutrous ghali etcetera .

again i ask;on what basis?
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Sagamite(m): 10:52am On Jun 26, 2011
aribisala0:

firstly there are economists who are academics and excel in that realm without any practical experience then there are those who work in the private sector often banks and possess a range of skills particularly management that are not the preserve or necessarily in the domain of eonomics more of a banker or some mixture of skills.

by wat criteria do we determine who is a good economist ? is it publications,award celebrity,acclaim or what?

i do not believe there is any objective way of determining how good in comparison to other nigeriAN economists this woman is. to claim she is one of the best is a huge leap like saying the same thing for all who have occupied the office  before her or that all american presidents are great politicians/administrators. ditto for ban ki moon ,kofi annan,boutrous ghali etcetera .

No 1, we are talking and assessing in the context of public policy anyway. We are talking about someone moving from policy setting in World Bank to policy setting in Ministry of Finance.

No 2, there is hardly any difficulty for a good economist to function academically or in a private industry. There is a difference between a banker and economists in a bank. Utilising knowledge of economics to do your job does not make you an economist.

I really don't see your point.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by aribisala0(m): 10:55am On Jun 26, 2011
you like to ask questions.
i asked a few there is no point to see .please oblige by answering the questions
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by aribisala0(m): 10:56am On Jun 26, 2011
aribisala0:

questions
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by aribisala0(m): 10:58am On Jun 26, 2011
aribisala0:

is there a  ranking/league table or directory of economists ?
how good an economist  is okonjo-iweala?
is she an economist now? or something else.
how do we know who is better .where does it say economists are the best people to run the ministry of finance.

quite a lot of assumptions S seems to be making .

was awolowo an economist
? who is an economist ?
te

where does it say economists are the best people to run the ministry of finance. the most important question.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Sagamite(m): 11:01am On Jun 26, 2011
aribisala0:

where does it say economists are the best people to run the ministry of finance. the most important question.

Frankly, if you show me where such was said, you will make it easier for me to direct you to the author so you can query that assertion.

aribisala0:

questions

Criteria:

- Qualifications

- High level experience

- Track record
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by aribisala0(m): 11:39am On Jun 26, 2011
Sagamite:

If you show me where such was said, you will make it easier for me to direct you to the author so you can query that assertion.

Criteria:

- Qualifications

- High level experience

- Track record

ok i thought that was implied so i take it that is not your position.

regarding your criteria you are talking about her being one of the best
qualifications ; she has i believe,a phd which dare i say wole soyinka does not have. many nigerian economist have phds and some are professors that does not necessarily qualify them for what is apolitical not a techninal one. since we established that an economist does not have to do the job any degree would do so a masters or phd is neither here nor there;
the previous chancellors of the exchequer ;john major,kenneth clarke ,gordon brown and many others illustrate this quite well
high level experience/track record if you are going to be objective in comparing her with others you need to [b]define [/b]these nebulous terms.

ultimately it is a political job for which no special qualification has proven superior.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by olaolabiy: 11:57am On Jun 26, 2011
Sagamite, what you are saying in here is wrong; very wrong, mate.

This is a political office and it has nothing to do with economics.

And, your criteria are flawed; very flawed.

That you are an economist does not mean you will be a good finance minister.
It seems you believe too muuch in paper qualifications. Most of the guys who gave us theories that we all labour to understand in classrooms today didn't have university degrees. Did they?

Maybe you need to tell us what school of economics Alistair Darling attended.

I am waiting. undecided
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Sagamite(m): 12:06pm On Jun 26, 2011
aribisala0:

ok i thought that was implied so i take it that is not your position.

regarding your criteria you are talking about her being one of the best
qualifications ; she has i believe,a phd which dare i say wole soyinka does not have. many nigerian economist have phds and some are professors that does not necessarily qualify them for what is apolitical not a techninal one. since we established that an economist does not have to do the job any degree would do so a masters or phd is neither here nor there;
the previous chancellors of the exchequer ;john major,kenneth clarke ,gordon brown and many others illustrate this quite well
high level experience/track record if you are going to be objective in comparing her with others you need to [b]define [/b]these nebulous terms.

ultimately it is a political job for which no special qualification has proven superior.

ola olabiy:

Sagamite, what you are saying in here is wrong; very wrong, mate.

This is a political office and it has nothing to do with economics.

And, your criteria are flawed; very flawed.

That you are an economist does not mean you will be a good finance minister.
It seems you believe too muuch in paper qualifications. Most of the guys who gave us theories that we all labour to understand in classrooms today didn't have university degrees. Did they?

Maybe you need to tell us what school of economics Alistair Darling attended.

I am waiting.  undecided

No, educational qualifications is quite useful and can be an edge. Furthermore, at this stage of Nigeria, economic engineering (technical) will play a higher role than politics in that ministry.

High level experience of doing similar economic engineering job and the track record of doing it well is really not that nebulous.

Remember, Qualifications was just one aspect of my criteria.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by olaolabiy: 12:15pm On Jun 26, 2011
^^^Or, you want me to give you the US example?

Or that of Canada, Australia, Germany, even South Africa?
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Sagamite(m): 12:16pm On Jun 26, 2011
ola olabiy:

^^^Or, you want me to give you the US example?

Or that of Canada, Australia, Germany, even South Africa?

Feel free.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by aribisala0(m): 12:35pm On Jun 26, 2011
you have implied that according to your criteria this woman trumps local candidates.

education as evidenced by a degree ok but a first degree is ok with relevant experience

high level
what does this mean

more important is practical knowledge of nigeria in many countries a civil service career.

is information about this woman's track record public knowledge or is occupying her office enough evidence ;for me know more incompetent people have occupied bigger offices. so we look at her record in nigeria i have already commented above . greatest revenu and growth in our history during her watch. still economy failed to diversify. employment halved so what has she ever achieved at the world bank.a conservative organization that requires a safe pair of hands and nothing radical .would we even know her name if she was not nigerian .on a[b] personal[/b] level ;black,female she has done very well but that's it.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by aribisala0(m): 12:38pm On Jun 26, 2011
you have implied that according to your criteria this woman trumps local candidates.

education as evidenced by a degree ok but a first degree is ok with relevant experience

high level what does this mean

more important is practical knowledge of nigeria.
in many countries a civil service career.

is information about this woman's track record public knowledge or is occupying her office enough evidence ;for me NO more incompetent people have occupied bigger offices. so we look at her record in nigeria i have already commented above . greatest revenue and growth in our history during her watch. still economy failed to diversify. employment halved so what has she ever achieved at the world bank.a conservative organization that requires a safe pair of hands and nothing radical .would we even know her name if she was not nigerian .on a personal level ;black,female she has done very well but that's it.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Sagamite(m): 12:48pm On Jun 26, 2011
aribisala0:

you have implied  that according to your criteria this woman trumps local candidates.

high level what does this mean

High level means there are tiers of working.

An economist for Alaba market is not the same as one for AfDev Bank.

aribisala0:

more important is practical knowledge of nigeria.
in many countries a civil service career.

As beautifully rational as that proposition might sound, but actually a career in civil service in Nigeria is and should be a disadvantage.

The woman has experience of practical knowledge of nigeria from working for years with similar third world countries like Nigeria and as Minister of Finance of Nigeria.

aribisala0:

is information about this woman's track record public knowledge or is occupying her office enough evidence ;for me NO more incompetent people  have occupied bigger offices. so we look at her record in nigeria i have already commented above . greatest revenue and growth in our history during her  watch. still economy failed to diversify. employment halved so what has she ever  achieved at the world bank.a conservative organization that requires  a safe pair of hands and nothing radical .would we even know her name if she was not nigerian .on a personal  level ;black,female she has done very well but that's it.

Homeboy, you will struggle to see a country that is coming from dearth developing a diversify economy. Such ideals are secondary stages. It is not like if diversification was not on the cards, but if you don't have the fundamentals to diversify (e.g. education), you can't do it in the 3 years she was there. You should not expect such in 10 years of forward momentum. Not even in an advanced country.

Secondly, her record in her jobs speak for itself with the numerous praise and awards given by neutral, knowledgeable third parties.

If you are interested in such, I bet you will know her name to some extent.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by olaolabiy: 1:08pm On Jun 26, 2011
The US:

James Addison Baker III
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by olaolabiy: 1:12pm On Jun 26, 2011
Canada:

James M. Flaherty

Ralph Goodale
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by aribisala0(m): 1:24pm On Jun 26, 2011
i am not sure whether you are being ridiculous or obtuse [b]what is an economist for alaba market? [/b]one minute you deny saying it has to be an economist then you keep harping on about economists.make up your mind!

your use of the word homeboy tells me enough.i am not anyone's homeboy . i have been around too long to be swayed by praise and awards by so-called knowledgeable third parties .we saw the same thing with gordon brown norman lamont and so many others. i am not one of who has any particular regard for the world bank. the form of your argument;

she is at the  top of the WB she has won praise and awards severally therefore she must be good

is not really worth much comment from me. i cede to to you the option of the final word
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Sagamite(m): 1:27pm On Jun 26, 2011
A lot of people you guys are mentioning have degrees in subjects that could have significant finance sections (e.g. Law, History, Politics etc) and have worked in aligning roles before moving into finance. John Major was even a banker. Gordon Brown's Phd history thesis was on the specific work of a Finance Minister.

I think you will find it a struggle to find people with degrees in Music, Languages, Computer Science, Physics etc without experience in the Finance industry appointed to the post.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Sagamite(m): 1:31pm On Jun 26, 2011
aribisala0:

i am not sure whether you are being ridiculous or obtuse [b]what is an economist for alaba market? [/b]one minute you deny saying it has to be an economist then you keep harping on about economists.make up your mind!

your use of the word homeboy tells me enough.i am not anyone's homeboy . i have been around too long to be swayed by praise and awards by so-called knowledgeable third parties .we saw the same thing with gordon brown norman lamont and so many others. i am not one of who has any particular regard for the world bank. the form of your argument;

she is at the  top of the WB she has won praise and awards severally therefore she must be good

is not really worth much comment from me. i cede to to you the option of the final word

Amsorry!

I denied saying it has to be an economists?

Really?

What is there to deny when I did not even say so and it was just a case of you not comprehending? What mind is there to make up when it is your mind playing tricks on you?

So if you have no regards for knowledgeable third party opinions, what do you have regards for? How do you judge?
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by olaolabiy: 1:39pm On Jun 26, 2011
Sagamite:

I think you will find it a struggle to find people with degrees in Music, Languages, Computer Science, Physics etc without experience in the Finance industry appointed to the post.

You are right!
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by aribisala0(m): 1:46pm On Jun 26, 2011
common nigerian error

to deny does not mean you did .sorry english hard o.

so if i say i am not a muslim
i deny being muslim

anyway brown studied history and his phd was about

The Labour Party and Political Change in Scotland 1918–29
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by aribisala0(m): 1:48pm On Jun 26, 2011
alastair darling
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Sagamite(m): 1:54pm On Jun 26, 2011
aribisala0:

common nigerian error

to deny does not mean you did .sorry english hard o.

so if i say i am not a muslim
i deny being muslim

Common illiterate error.

To state one should make up your mind between 2 things means you imply some stated 2 states of mind.

aribisala0:

anyway brown studied history and his phd was about

The Labour Party and Political Change in Scotland 1918–29

My bad. I misread a part of his biography.

That said, studying history has a lot of studying economics in it.

And what I asked you was: "So if you have no regards for knowledgeable third party opinions, what do you have regards for? How do you judge?"

aribisala0:

alastair darling

And your point is?
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by aribisala0(m): 2:02pm On Jun 26, 2011
one man's knowledgeable is another's delusional .alastair darling and kenneth clarke are not economists .i really think i am wasting time so i will be silent for now
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Sagamite(m): 2:07pm On Jun 26, 2011
aribisala0:

one man's knowledgeable is another's delusional .alastair darling and kenneth clarke are not economists .i really think i am wasting time so i will be silent for now

What I asked you was: "So if you have no regards for knowledgeable third party opinions, what do you have regards for? How do you judge?". That is what needs answering.

I think you are not wasting your time, you will learn a lot by learning how to give alternative solutions rather than just criticise solutions without an alternative.

And, as stated earlier, Alastair and Ken studied Law which is likely to give significant familiarity with Finance.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by geerufus(m): 2:38pm On Jun 26, 2011
JUST SURPRISED WITH THE WAY U PPLE HAVE BIN JUBILATING ON DIS WOMAN'S RETURN TO FINISH THE DAMAGE SHE DID TO HER FATHER LAND DURING OBJ'S TIME.
SIT DOWN AND ANALYSE DIS – OKONJO IS FROM THE WORLD BANK.
THE WORLD BANK/IMF – BRETTON WOODS INSTITUTIONS HAVE NOTHING POSITIVE OR DEVELOPMENTAL TO OFFER THE THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES, BUT RATHER TO PLUNGE THEM DEEP INTO DEBT AND POVERTY.
THE LAST DEBT CANCELATION SHE BROKERED WAS ALL A CHARADE. THE WORLB BANK SAW THAT OUR FOREIGN RESERVE FIGURE WAS HITTING THE ROOF, AND THEY SIMPLY SUCCEEDED IN USING HER TO COW THE IDIOTS WU CALLED THEMSELVES OUR LEADERS INTO DEPLETING THIS RESERVE UNDER THE GUISE OF DEBT CANCELLATION.
SHE HAS NO INTEREST OF NIGERIA AT ALL, SHE REPRESENTS THE IMF/WORLD BANK, HER MASTERS.
INFACT I HATE HER FOR DOING SUCH A DISSERVICE TO HER FATHERLAND.
Re: Aunty Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Set To Be Named As Finance Minister by Sagamite(m): 2:48pm On Jun 26, 2011
geerufus:

JUST SURPRISED WITH THE WAY U PPLE HAVE BIN JUBILATING ON DIS WOMAN'S RETURN TO FINISH THE DAMAGE SHE DID TO HER FATHER LAND DURING OBJ'S TIME.
SIT DOWN AND ANALYSE DIS – OKONJO IS FROM THE WORLD BANK.
THE WORLD BANK/IMF – BRETTON WOODS INSTITUTIONS HAVE NOTHING POSITIVE OR DEVELOPMENTAL TO OFFER THE THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES, BUT RATHER TO PLUNGE THEM DEEP INTO DEBT AND POVERTY.
THE LAST DEBT CANCELATION SHE BROKERED WAS ALL A CHARADE. THE WORLB BANK SAW THAT OUR FOREIGN RESERVE FIGURE WAS HITTING THE ROOF, AND THEY SIMPLY SUCCEEDED IN USING HER TO COW THE IDIOTS WU CALLED THEMSELVES OUR LEADERS INTO DEPLETING THIS RESERVE UNDER THE GUISE OF DEBT CANCELLATION.
SHE HAS NO INTEREST OF NIGERIA AT ALL, SHE REPRESENTS THE IMF/WORLD BANK, HER MASTERS.
INFACT I HATE HER FOR DOING SUCH A DISSERVICE TO HER FATHERLAND.

Fcking ediot in the mold of cap28.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tradermoni: Buhari, APC Is Relooting Abacha Loots — Fayose / Workers Strike: TCN Denies Report On National Blackout / What Is INEC Registration Situation In Your Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.