Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,231 members, 7,849,843 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 10:34 AM

Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! (3373 Views)

Can Anyone Give Evidence That Jesus Ever Walked On This Planet? / The Main Message Of The Bible: The Major Reason The Bible Was Written / COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by GreatAxeMan: 2:17pm On Feb 21, 2022
During His trial before the Jewish leaders, the High Priest demanded of Jesus,

“I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God” (Matthew 26:63).

“‘Yes, it is as you say,’ Jesus replied. ‘But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven’” (Matthew 26:64).

The Jewish leaders responded by accusing Jesus of blasphemy (Matthew 26:65-66).

Later, before Pontius Pilate: “The Jews insisted, ‘We have a law, and according to that law He must die, because He claimed to be the Son of God’” (John 19:7).

Why would His claiming to be the Son of God be considered blasphemy and be worthy of a death sentence? The Jewish leaders understood exactly what Jesus meant by the phrase “Son of God.” To be the Son of God is to be of the same nature as God. The Son of God is “of God.”

The claim to be of the same nature as God—to in fact be God—was blasphemy to the Jewish leaders; therefore, they demanded Jesus’ death, in keeping with Leviticus 24:15.

Hebrews 1:3 expresses this very clearly: “The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of His being.”

As for Jesus receiving worship in the way that other celestial beings rejected it, there are several examples throughout scripture and these are just two examples:

[img]https://images./6F65oRaKPcBFMSzg31dhdl.jpg[/img]

[img]https://images./Cr7aiVbwcb5LqOHIYcWpQ.jpg[/img]

AntiChristian:

You are right to this point

They thought he was calling himself God. But where did Jesus call himself God?

You are mixing things up. Jesus replied, “Is it not written in your Law: ‘I have said you are gods'(Theoi) ? If he called them gods (Theou) to whom the word (logos) of God (Theou) came..." This means those whom the scriptures were revealed were called Elohim too so why can't he be called son of God (not God). He was claiming son of God not God.

Worship is the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity.

To answer you, show me where Jesus was worshipped, how he was worshipped and who worshipped Yahweh as such?
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by AntiChristian: 2:35pm On Feb 21, 2022
GreatAxeMan:
During His trial before the Jewish leaders, the High Priest demanded of Jesus,

“I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God” (Matthew 26:63).

“‘Yes, it is as you say,’ Jesus replied. ‘But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven’” (Matthew 26:64). [/b]

The Jewish leaders responded by accusing Jesus of blasphemy (Matthew 26:65-66).

Later, before Pontius Pilate: “The Jews insisted, ‘We have a law, and according to that law He must die, because He claimed to be the Son of God’” (John 19:7).

Why would His claiming to be the Son of God be considered blasphemy and be worthy of a death sentence? The Jewish leaders understood exactly what Jesus meant by the phrase “Son of God.” To be the Son of God is to be of the same nature as God. The Son of God is “of God.”

The claim to be of the same nature as God—to in fact be God—was blasphemy to the Jewish leaders; therefore, they demanded Jesus’ death, in keeping with Leviticus 24:15.

Hebrews 1:3 expresses this very clearly: “The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of His being.”

“‘Yes, it is as you say,’ Jesus replied. ‘But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven’” (Matthew 26:64). [/b]

The son of man (Your Jesus) sitting at the right hand side of the mighty one (Yahweh).
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by GreatAxeMan: 2:38pm On Feb 21, 2022
What are you trying to say?

AntiChristian:

The son of man (Your Jesus) sitting at the right hand side of the mighty one (Yahweh).
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by AntiChristian: 2:40pm On Feb 21, 2022
GreatAxeMan:
What are you trying to say?

Two people are mentioned in the above verse! Son of Man and Mighty one!
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by GreatAxeMan: 2:41pm On Feb 21, 2022
Have you forgotten that there are three persons in the Trinity? grin

AntiChristian:

Two people are mentioned in the above verse! Son of Man and Mighty one!
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by AntiChristian: 2:43pm On Feb 21, 2022
GreatAxeMan:
Have you forgotten that there are three persons in the Trinity? grin

Where is the third person sitting?

Left side of the father abi?

And are they not suppose to be one?
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by GreatAxeMan: 3:01pm On Feb 21, 2022
This scripture refers to a specific event which will happen on the Judgment Day. Other scriptures make it clear that Jesus, the Son of God who became the Son of Man will judge the world:

Matthew 25: 31 to 36:

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory and all his angels are with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. The people of every nation will be gathered in front of him. He will separate them as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right but the goats on his left.

“Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, my Father has blessed you! Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger, and you took me into your home. I needed clothes, and you gave me something to wear. I was sick, and you took care of me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

God withdraws the Holy Spirit from an ungrateful and unrighteous world, some time before the Judgment Day

2 Thessalonians 2:7

For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only He who now letteth will let, until He be taken out of the way.

This scripture implies that the Holy Spirit having performed His duty of convicting the world of sin, will withdrawn in the final days leading up to the Judgment Day. In other words, a time is coming when repentance will be too late for sinners.

AntiChristian:

Where is the third person sitting?

Left side of the father abi?

And are they not suppose to be one?
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by sonmvayina(m): 3:53pm On Feb 21, 2022
cornelboy:
cheesy cheesy cheesy

You people will always discredit the NT because it exposes your evil and lawless deeds.

It is fiction..

It only appeals to your ignorance..
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by sonmvayina(m): 3:55pm On Feb 21, 2022
cornelboy:
Historians that weren't there when Jesus and his apostles were living on earth.
They can only be assuming and guessing.

You have answered the questio .

Just like no body has seen the real Harry Potter.

They are just characters in a book...

Nothing more..
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by sonmvayina(m): 3:56pm On Feb 21, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

I thought you agreed that God created humans from the dust, but how come you doubt the power of that same God when talking about making a living woman pregnant without a man? cheesy

Lol..

You forgotten it was " let US make man...

Or did you miss that part?
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by sonmvayina(m): 3:57pm On Feb 21, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Funny atheist! grin

It is you who is arguing about a fictional character..

They are both comic book heros...

I wonder why you don't see it as such..
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by cornelboy(f): 5:51pm On Feb 21, 2022
Harry Potter is clear a novel to entertain oneself.
Jesus life event no be story book.

sonmvayina:

You have answered the questio .

Just like no body has seen the real Harry Potter.

They are just characters in a book...

Nothing more..
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by cornelboy(f): 5:53pm On Feb 21, 2022
Thanks for your invaluable opinion. I totally get it.

sonmvayina:

It is fiction..

It only appeals to your ignorance..

2 Likes

Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by sonmvayina(m): 9:03pm On Feb 21, 2022
cornelboy:
Harry Potter is clear a novel to entertain oneself.
Jesus life event no be story book.

Prove it..
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:49pm On Feb 21, 2022
sonmvayina:

Lol..
You forgotten it was " let US make man...
Or did you miss that part?

So the US made man out of DUST nah but no fit make living woman get belle, na wah for you o! cheesy
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:51pm On Feb 21, 2022
sonmvayina:

It is you who is arguing about a fictional character..

They are both comic book heros...

I wonder why you don't see it as such..

You've been saying it for years but the problem is when anyone disagree with you the next thing is either "you can't see it" or "you don't have functioning brain" or "when the time comes you will know" cheesy

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:52pm On Feb 21, 2022
sonmvayina:

Prove it..
Prove what? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by cornelboy(f): 1:29am On Feb 22, 2022
sonmvayina:

Prove it..

Abraham walked with God by faith and that's what true christians are doing today.
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by waldigit: 7:00am On Feb 22, 2022
AntiChristian:
It's really hard having a conversation with Christians especially those who believe Jesus as God.

Ask them where Jesus called himself God in an unambiguous way anywhere in the Bible and they start by saying:

Thomas and Peter worshipped him! (Jesus sef worshipped his father in Matthew
The wind obeyed him! (miracle)
He raised the dead (and not that he turned water to booze in Cana wedding lol) (another Miracle).

But the claim still is that Jesus never called himself God anywhere in the Bible.

Revelation 1:8
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by AntiChristian: 8:49am On Feb 22, 2022
waldigit:

Revelation 1:8
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Where was Jesus speaking this words himself?
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by Janosky: 11:37am On Feb 22, 2022
AntiChristian:

Revelation 1:1,5-6,8 is the God /Father/Owner of revelations He gives to Jesus
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by sonmvayina(m): 2:42pm On Feb 22, 2022
cornelboy:

Abraham walked with God by faith and that's what true christians are doing today.

I get it..

That you have faith in it does not mean it is true...

Like somebody once said, faith is just a fancy word for ignorance.

Keep it up..

Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by sonmvayina(m): 2:43pm On Feb 22, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Prove what? cheesy

That the gospels are not theological fictions...like I always said..
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by sonmvayina(m): 2:46pm On Feb 22, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

You've been saying it for years but the problem is when anyone disagree with you the next thing is either "you can't see it" or "you don't have functioning brain" or "when the time comes you will know" cheesy

Ohh sorry.

Prove to me that Jesus actually existed.

Mention one person that actually saw him and wrote about him..and Prove to me that the gospels stories are not theological fiction..
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by sonmvayina(m): 2:48pm On Feb 22, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

So the US made man out of DUST nah but no fit make living woman get belle, na wah for you o! cheesy

Lol..why did he create the man.

God needed somebody else to male man ...the earth(she provided the dust for the body)
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by AntiChristian: 4:01pm On Feb 22, 2022
Janosky:

Revelation 1:1,5-6,8 is the God /Father/Owner of revelations He gives to Jesus

Where was his name mentioned?
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:51pm On Feb 22, 2022
sonmvayina:

That the gospels are not theological fictions...like I always said..

You've already proved everything when you said:

sonmvayina:

It was not meant for you.
It was written by the jews for the jews. It is about their history..
You are wasting your time...
Stop trying to interprete it for them...

Then later you said:

sonmvayina:

They are not actual stories...they teach some valuable lesson.

So what else remains to be proved? cheesy
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:55pm On Feb 22, 2022
sonmvayina:

Ohh sorry.
Prove to me that Jesus actually existed.
Mention one person that actually saw him and wrote about him..and Prove to me that the gospels stories are not theological fiction..

Your proof is written all over you nah! cheesy
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:56pm On Feb 22, 2022
sonmvayina:

Lol..why did he create the man.
God needed somebody else to male man ...the earth(she provided the dust for the body)
So God can't make a woman pregnant without a man shey? cheesy
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by waldigit: 5:49pm On Feb 22, 2022
AntiChristian:

I hope you understand your question very well.
Every statement credit to Jesus was quoted by a writer. Jesus did not author any book.
I hope you understand the Bible.
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by sonmvayina(m): 6:39pm On Feb 22, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

So God can't make a woman pregnant without a man shey? cheesy

It is impossible..

The spirit is contained within the sperm.

That's why genealogy is transferred from father to son...

Moreover..there was never any need for it

Why invent jesus
Re: Did Jesus Ever Call Himself God In The Bible? The Answer Is No! by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:42pm On Feb 22, 2022
sonmvayina:

It is impossible..
The spirit is contained within the sperm.
That's why genealogy is transferred from father to son...
Moreover..there was never any need for it
Why invent jesus

That's the point i want to get in your argument! So the same God who made it possible for dust to become a living soul will find it impossible to make a living woman pregnant without sperm shey? cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

A Beautiful Analogy For Atheist / "original Sin"-linking It To An Imperfect God! / When Will The Church Have The Courage To Face This ‘ugly’ Home Truth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.