Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,701 members, 7,813,301 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? (19014 Views)

Oba Akintunde Akinyemi Supports Igbo Presidency, Rejects Tinubu’s ‘Ambition’ / FG Communications Suffer As Agencies Return To Old Ways Of Information Sharing / Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by kirajustice: 12:12pm On Feb 27, 2022
As the contest for the 2023 Presidency tightens, aspirants have set the ball in motion by embarking on political visits to different parts of the country under the guise of consultation.

One of the aspirants who has indicated serious interest in running and does not want to leave any stone unturned is the national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu. For the purpose of his ambition, Tinubu has journeyed across the Northern and Southern regions of the country, paying courtesy visits to traditional rulers, former political office holders and other dignitaries.

On all trips, he ensured that his ambition was registered in the minds of his host and also sought their support.

POLITICS NIGERIA, however, observed that the former Lagos Governor has avoided the country home of Former President ,Olusegun Obasanjo despite visiting Ogun state twice.

This newspaper learnt that this is not unconnected to the age-long unsettled difference between the two former public administrators. In this analysis, POLITICS NIGERIA reviews the rancour between the duo and how this may impact Tinubu’s Presidential aspiration.

Deliberate move?

On February 12, Tinubu visited the Alake of Egbaland, His Royal Majesty, Oba Adedotun Aremu Gbadebo, to seek his blessings. Tinubu had earlier paid the same courtesy visit to Awujale and Paramount ruler of Ijebuland, His Royal Majesty, Oba Sikiru Kayode Adetona.

While Alake's palace is located in the capital city of Ogun state, Awujale's palace is situated in Ijebu-Ode, a major town in the eastern parts of the state. According to Google map, both palaces are less than a 2-hour trip to Ota, the country home of the former President.

Political observers say this means that both leaders are yet to work out their differences over a decade after they had left public office. The relationship between Tinubu and Obasanjo has been unpleasant since Nigeria's return to democracy in 1999, when both politicians held public offices.

Mr Obasanjo was Nigeria's president for eight years between 1999 and 2007 while Tinubu governed Lagos within the same period. The genesis of the rift was based on their disagreement on resource allocation and other key governmental issues.

Recall that in January, 2019, Tinubu described Obasanjo as an election rigger without peer in Nigeria. While Mr Obasanjo threw his weight behind his former deputy, Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Tinubu was in support of the re-election bid of President Muhammadu Buhari of the APC.

"Obasanjo is the greatest election rigger in this country," Tinubu had said in the build-up of the 2019 Presidential election.

Obasanjo's role in previous elections

After he bowed out of office in 2007, the former President has been instrumental to the emergence of successive governments. His immediate successor, late President Umaru Musa Yar’adua, contested under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and Obasanjo took his campaign to different parts of the country amid reports that the late President was being hospitalised at that time.

Events, however, took a different turn when the relationship between Obasanjo and Yar'Adua's successor, former President, Goodluck Jonathan fell out in 2015.

In the heat of the crisis, Obasanjo tore his PDP membership card and worked against Jonathan who was seeking reelection. Obasanjo, instead, mulled his support for President Muhammadu Buhari, Jonathan's major challenger then.

After Buhari was sworn in in 2015, Obasanjo was one of those who criticised some policies and actions of the administration. These culminated into his vehement opposition to Buhari's second term bid in 2019.

To ensure that Buhari was not reelected, Obasanjo supported former Vice-President, Atiku Abubakar. But the results of the 2019 election defied Obasanjo's influence as Buhari defeated Abubakar.

Recently, Obasanjo told a PDP delegation that he is no longer into partisan politics but will keep contributing to nation-building. "But bear in mind, I am no longer in partisan politics. And there is nothing that will bring me back to partisan politics. But I will always be interested in what is good for Nigeria. And anybody who wants to have my advice, I will unstintingly give it," he said.

Will Tinubu’s ambition suffer the Obasanjo's effect?

Some political commentators who spoke with POLITICS NIGERIA believe that Obasanjo is a relic of a bygone order and is no longer influential in the scheme of things.

"Look at the 2019 election. Obasanjo's relevance in the political scene has waned and he may add nothing or little to any candidate," Kunle Adigun, a Lagos-based lawyer said.

But Rafiu Bolaji, a public affairs analyst, said irrespective of what transpired in 2019, Obasanjo's influence cannot be undermined and it goes a long way in anyone's emergence.

Bolaji maintained that Tinubu should extend an olive branch to the former President.

"If Obasanjo can reconcile with Atiku, a one-time arch enemy, reconciling with Tinubu won't be a problem."

https://politicsnigeria.com/2023-will-tinubus-ambition-suffer-as-apc-leader-avoids-ex-president-obasanjos-home/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by immortalcrown(m): 12:18pm On Feb 27, 2022
Is Obasanjo in APC?

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by Nonpartisan1: 12:25pm On Feb 27, 2022
Has Obasanjo ever won his polling booth?

God Bless The Incoming Presido.

Ibezimakor Ahmed Bola Tinubu.

81 Likes 15 Shares

Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by AchalugoNwa(f): 12:34pm On Feb 27, 2022
Nonpartisan1:
Has Obasanjo ever won his polling booth?

God Bless The Incoming Presido.

Ibezimakor Ahmed Bola Tinubu.
how far incoming cofnor Andy Ubah grin

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by Frigga13: 12:43pm On Feb 27, 2022
Baba please forgive Tinubu.. even support him .. all Yoruba people must support him. We don’t need change of Yoruba narratives..
Anything Yoruba will say Tinubu lost because of this or make noise ..Nigerians are willing.

Tinubu must contest.. Apc must give him ticket .. a Must.. or he decamp to SDP.. and CONTEST.
No excuses..

Yoruba people sef grin

Power returns North..

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by duro4chang(m): 12:48pm On Feb 27, 2022
Those who visited Obasanjo what did he do to them?

77 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by Tifesingz: 1:28pm On Feb 27, 2022
The same old names since I was born!! This is so heartbreaking that in 2022 we are still talking about this people.. How can we progress when we still have people trying to force someone like Tinubu on us. This is not hatred or something, with what’s going on around the world today, do you think people like that can offer anything again? They ruled us when everyone was in the dark, I think we’ve seen the light now, they should step aside arhhhh!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by sharpshap(m): 1:28pm On Feb 27, 2022
Na so
Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by Felixalex(m): 1:29pm On Feb 27, 2022
Hmmmmm
Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by Cmanforall: 1:29pm On Feb 27, 2022
Let him read Ecclesiastes 4:13

Ecclesiastes 4:14 could be for Obj or GEJ
Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by SultanOfPuna: 1:29pm On Feb 27, 2022
Ok
Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by morikee: 1:30pm On Feb 27, 2022
Who cares
Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by In2systemsTech(m): 1:30pm On Feb 27, 2022
Politically who has a higher view? Besides he may not be avoiding to see the general but probably working with a schedule

Get a remote controlled Mini Drone with 4k camera
https://www.nairaland.com/6990920/mini-rc-drone-4k-camera#110303864

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by MrPADDY(m): 1:30pm On Feb 27, 2022
That is their cup of tea. We have lost confidence in our political leaders. They only care about their interests.

5 Likes

Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by sammy7410(m): 1:31pm On Feb 27, 2022
Ok

Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by hibeebeeking: 1:31pm On Feb 27, 2022
Obasanjo weh Fayose deh wash like Abeokuta ofada rice. Baba is not stable in politics. They are doing under 'G' runs.

1 Like

Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by Tovard(m): 1:32pm On Feb 27, 2022
Baba Obasanjo is not God, though he still have a say in Nigeria political sphere and in Africa in generally but he can't be supporting all the aspirants.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by Ohibenemma(m): 1:32pm On Feb 27, 2022
No matter how flexible a man is, there must be that aspect on which he's rigid.

For Tinubu, that might have to be in his relationship with Obasanjo.

On the other hand, Tinubu's bought and earned status in the South West has made most of his visits within the region appear like fulfilling all righteousness. He's appeared more humble when he goes North.

With Obasanjo, the former won't be the case. It will clearly appear subservient, something Tinubu's ego won't allow for. Will he allow his ex-governor, moneybag and king maker ego take a bow for OBJ's ex Head of State and Executive President's ego?

Note say na the same pipu wey Tinubu dey go now for for North naim dey come bow to OBJ for Ota O!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by AbijaJ: 1:33pm On Feb 27, 2022
Baba OBJ can't even influence the outcome of gubernatorial election in his native Ogun state, not to talk of presidential election.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by NaughtyBrainiac: 1:35pm On Feb 27, 2022
I doubt it.

Obasanjo no longer has political relevance that can affect any Strong and Serious Politician.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by NGpatriot: 1:36pm On Feb 27, 2022
OP, stay away from drugs..

73 Likes

Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by ezekwe1: 1:38pm On Feb 27, 2022
my brothers and sisters i need money donations to treat my right eye problem any amount you can give is acceptable my bank account details are FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA 3090279796 OR ZENITH BANK OF NIGERIA 2085721740...
Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by FreeStuffsNG: 1:38pm On Feb 27, 2022
Baba Obasanjo has already said he is no longer in partisan politics wink

Please let everyone respect his decision. Asiwaju Tinubu will always consult Pa Obasanjo before, during and after his election as Nigerian President.

On the mandate of Asiwaju Tinubu I stand.
Please vote for Asiwaju Tinubu.

73 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by ezekwe1: 1:38pm On Feb 27, 2022
my brothers and sisters i need money donations to treat my right eye problem any amount you can give is acceptable my bank account details are FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA 3090279796 OR ZENITH BANK OF NIGERIA 2085721740.........
Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by ezekwe1: 1:39pm On Feb 27, 2022
my brothers and sisters i need money donations to treat my right eye problem any amount you can give is acceptable my bank account details are FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA 3090279796 OR ZENITH BANK OF NIGERIA 2085721740.............
Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by onikoyikosoko: 1:41pm On Feb 27, 2022
sammy7410:
Ok

And so?
Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by PENNYSWAP: 1:42pm On Feb 27, 2022
Frigga13:
Baba please forgive Tinubu.. even support him .. all Yoruba people must support him. We don’t need change of Yoruba narratives..
Anything Yoruba will say Tinubu lost because of this or make noise ..Nigerians are willing.

Tinubu must contest.. Apc must give him ticket .. a Must.. or he decamp to SDP.. and CONTEST.
No excuses..

Yoruba people sef grin

Power returns North..

Looooooooooool

He must Oooooooo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Will Tinubu’s Ambition Suffer As He Avoids Obasanjo's Home? by Enemyofpeace: 1:43pm On Feb 27, 2022
Whether he goes or not, him ambition no dey go anywhere. Nothing for the piss piss man in 2023. God forbid bad thing!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Just In: “I Will Kill More Igbos To Save The Country” – Buhari In Bbc Hausa. / Boko Haram/herdsmen: Ethnic Nationalities Regroup To Defend Territories / Ijaw Women Of America Cry Out Over Conditions Of Flood Victims In Niger Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.