Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,582 members, 7,820,105 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:48 AM

Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? (18790 Views)

How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state / Which Lady Is a 'Wife Material'? / The Actual Causes Of Broken Homes And Divorces, And D Solutiöns! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by tpia5: 5:48am On Jun 29, 2011
prayer is key really.

dont know what else to say because in life there are no guarantees.
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by lagcity(m): 7:01am On Jun 29, 2011
In Africa, extended family influence on marriages is quite strong. It's kinda hard for a woman to throw her hands up and say "i'm done" when her own parents are still married after 40 years. Her parents would most likely tell her to try harder and stop giving excuses. If divorced parents try to lecture and encourage their daughter to fight for her marriage, the daughter would ask "and how did that work out for you two?"
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by shade(f): 7:23am On Jun 29, 2011
Dont know about the female angle,but married to a guy 4rm a  dysfunctional  home and its been three years of constant quarrellings and unwarranted malice. In my opinion a person's family history has great impact on his future.
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by ogospec(f): 10:01am On Jun 29, 2011
YOU MAY BE CORRECT INDIRECTLY, BUT WHY LADIES, BOTH ARE NOT SUITABLE OR MATURED FOR THE INSTITUTION OF MARRIAGE, YOU MAY BLAMHE THE WOMAN BECAUSE NATURALLY GOD ENDOWED LADIES WITH CORDINATING ABILITY. ON THE CONTRARY WHEN YOU DONT SHOW LOVE TO YOUR WIFE SHE MAY FIND IT DIFFICULT TO SUBMIT SO WHY THE COMPLAIN
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by godunia(m): 10:10am On Jun 29, 2011
If yr wife or husband is from a broken home background and yr marriage is working,thank God u are simply among d 20%
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by duno: 10:50am On Jun 29, 2011
allanohize:

In fact on the contrary, ladies from broken homes have a better tendency to make better wives especially in Nigeria. Just like children from poor homes have a better tendency to be good financial managers.

They have suffered the pains of not being with both their parents. They have seen their friends from stable homes. They lived their lives wishing to have stable homes. They learnt the hard way what stable homes can provide to the psyche of children. They swore that they would do everything possible not to repeat the mistakes of their parents.

Children from stable homes are more likely to take too many things for granted. They are more likely to grow up not understanding the amount of sacrifice needed to keep a home together. Most people commenting so far are only doing so because in Nigeria, we have been conditioned to believe in the superstitions of ancient times. In Europe, America and other developed countries where divorce is very common, ask this same question and you will see a different class of opinions from respondents.

At the end of the day, it boils down to the individual and not the background of the individual per se! Too many things will come to play.

Arsenal is better than Man U!

Does this argument hold any sense? Depending on what your bias is, you can always make a case either for or against the above statement.

Eba is sweeter than amala! Depending on what you prefer, you can argue for or against.

Children whose parents did not beat them can never make good fathers! What nonsense! My parents never, ever, beat me, I am 34 presently with 4 kids, and I can boast of being one of the best Nigerian dads ever to pass through this world.

Some of my uncles and aunts once told me that Edo girls are all LovePeddlers and never make good wives! I married from Edo state, and she is from a double broken home, she did not even know her father until she was 21 years old, yet she remains a blessing and an angel to me. I am from not from Edo state.

I read some posts above and people were saying, "the girl is likely to follow her mother's footsteps and break her own home". For your information, men cause 85% of broken homes, either directly or indirectly. The girl's mother might have been an angel which her father never appreciated due to, say, drunkenness, womanising, gambling and all what not. Does it mean that her mother, having divorced the father for such irresponsible behaviours after enduring it for many years, will not be able to bring her children up properly to be good, godly and fit for marriage? No!

Guys, read my earlier post on this issue, there are things you look out for in a lady you intend to marry, and her coming from a broken home or not is certainly not one of them.

Yoruba girls are dirty, so don't marry them.
Ibo girls will finish your money, so don't marry them.
Calabar and Edo girls are promiscous, so don't marry them.
Ebira and igala girls will use juju on you so don't marry them.
Hausa girls will train their children to be bokoharamists so don't marry them.
Port harcourt girls will kill you to inherit your property, so don't marry them.
etc etc etc!!

Absolute nonsense, all these statements. Whatever characteristics you see in any lady from one tribe, you will get thousands from another tribe with such habits as well.

For as many girls who come from broken homes that make bad wives, you will see just as many from stable homes who are bad too!

End of discussion!

BEST POST. END OF DISCUSSION
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jun 29, 2011
I think the question should be are ladies from broken homes more likely to get divorced or have troubled marriages and the answer is yes. The first marriage we all know and 80% of what we know about marriage is what we saw from our parents marriage. Unfortunately, if this ended badly then there may be a problem.
Some ladies just dont know what a happy home should be and may over-react to just about anything. This is because they come into marriage with a view that the dont want whatever happened to their mother to happen to them, and they may get extra defensive. It takes the grace of God to overcome this and this may be a familiar spirit for some.
To summarize, it is clearly a disadvantage.
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by yusus: 1:41pm On Jun 29, 2011
@Nashville , yes i agree with you true talk
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by Tsun(f): 1:44pm On Jun 29, 2011
It doesn't work that way.
i have an elder brother who married a lady from a broken home, i can beat my chest and say out of the five sister-in-laws we have at home, she's the best, though all are nice to us but this particular lady, has a heart of gold.
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by yusus: 1:56pm On Jun 29, 2011
that was because she has learnt a lesson from her parent's past mistake while some women are adamant, having low mentality and refused to learn a lesson or take correction, i can do it alone mentality , i can survive without you in my life mentality, Thank God for your brother's wife that she learnt a lesson

1 Like

Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by otokx(m): 3:10pm On Jun 29, 2011
Not necessarily
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by Koolking(m): 3:33pm On Jun 29, 2011
I don't subscribe to this. good and bad are choices. They are not necessarily the direct result of influences [broken and unbroken homes].
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by fumisko(f): 3:34pm On Jun 29, 2011
ye most atyms. i wouldnt marry a man from a broken home either
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by 2mch(m): 4:04pm On Jun 29, 2011
yep, i think so. A spouse from a stable and balanced home is more ideal. Do proper investigations before marriage and the problems that may come up in marriage will be easier to solve. This also applies to men, not only the women. A woman whose mother was chased from her home for infidelity is much more likely to repeat her mother's mistakes. These mothers are also much more likely to come and interfere in your marriage. They hardly understand the consequences of their destructive behavior. Likewise a man that has seen his father beat, cheat on or insult his mother is more likely to repeat the same behavior. misery needs company.

1 Like

Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by chines4(m): 4:10pm On Jun 29, 2011
Sins of the parents will not affect the kids. Igbo's will tell you, that before you marry try and find out how your will be mother-in-law behaves, that that will be the u'r spouses behaviors, But we all know that its is not true. Just know u'r partner and how committed he/she is.
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by Fhemmmy: 4:36pm On Jun 29, 2011
^^^ Na wa oh
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by queensmith: 2:32am On Jun 30, 2011
No- depends on the individual. There is no A-Z on a good marriage. So just because your parents were together 100yrs of broke up 2years later never means you will have the same fate + if you come from a broken home your most likely to understand the traits to avoid in a partner of have a better indication of the type of person you shouldnt marry from past experience. Those from different types of families tend to start relationships and move on relatively earlier

Even if one came from a broken home mosy of the time the parents did not so the theory is complete BS.
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by queensmith: 2:38am On Jun 30, 2011
allanohize:

In fact on the contrary, ladies from broken homes have a better tendency to make better wives especially in Nigeria. Just like children from poor homes have a better tendency to be good financial managers.

They have suffered the pains of not being with both their parents. They have seen their friends from stable homes. They lived their lives wishing to have stable homes. They learnt the hard way what stable homes can provide to the psyche of children. They swore that they would do everything possible not to repeat the mistakes of their parents.

Children from stable homes are more likely to take too many things for granted. They are more likely to grow up not understanding the amount of sacrifice needed to keep a home together. Most people commenting so far are only doing so because in Nigeria, we have been conditioned to believe in the superstitions of ancient times. In Europe, America and other developed countries where divorce is very common, ask this same question and you will see a different class of opinions from respondents.

At the end of the day, it boils down to the individual and not the background of the individual per se! Too many things will come to play.

Does this argument hold any sense? Depending on what your bias is, you can always make a case either for or against the above statement.

Eba is sweeter than amala! Depending on what you prefer, you can argue for or against.

Children whose parents did not beat them can never make good fathers! What nonsense! My parents never, ever, beat me, I am 34 presently with 4 kids, and I can boast of being one of the best Nigerian dads ever to pass through this world.

Some of my uncles and aunts once told me that Edo girls are all LovePeddlers and never make good wives! I married from Edo state, and she is from a double broken home, she did not even know her father until she was 21 years old, yet she remains a blessing and an angel to me. I am from not from Edo state.

I read some posts above and people were saying, "the girl is likely to follow her mother's footsteps and break her own home". For your information, men cause 85% of broken homes, either directly or indirectly. The girl's mother might have been an angel which her father never appreciated due to, say, drunkenness, womanising, gambling and all what not. Does it mean that her mother, having divorced the father for such irresponsible behaviours after enduring it for many years, will not be able to bring her children up properly to be good, godly and fit for marriage? No!

Guys, read my earlier post on this issue, there are things you look out for in a lady you intend to marry, and her coming from a broken home or not is certainly not one of them.

Port harcourt girls will kill you to inherit your property, so don't marry them.
etc etc etc!!

Absolute nonsense, all these statements. Whatever characteristics you see in any lady from one tribe, you will get thousands from another tribe with such habits as well.

For as many girls who come from broken homes that make bad wives, you will see just as many from stable homes who are bad too!

End of discussion!

GBAM!
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by tpia5: 2:48am On Jun 30, 2011
People should stick with whatever they feel is right for them because its quite pointless trying to dispel or defend some of these mindsets.

Not enough hours in the day.
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by wazobiang: 10:15am On Jun 30, 2011
life's copy cat and you can only copy what you know. Copy dat. But you always have a choice not to copy and I know of so many dat decided not just to copy but to despise and work against their suffering as people from broken homes.
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by Patnoble: 12:42pm On Jul 01, 2011
yes,but not all.There some ladies that the situation of the family made them who they are today but not that they cant make good home,but there some that they naturally have that bad attitude in them that you cant even change and when you try to change,they make you look like a fool,those are the kind of people that cannot be guaranted to be a good wife material,  wink[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by Obelomo: 10:38am On Jul 02, 2011
[quot
allanohize:

etc etc etc!!

End of discussion!

I agree so much with these statements.

Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by Yeye77(f): 7:02pm On Jul 07, 2011
Hmmm, i was able to experience it both ways to an extent.

When we were growing up, my mum used to say we shouldn't mix with children from broken homes, that they have bad characters and aren't well brought up. Ironically my parents divorced when i was like 18 or 19. I dare anyone to tell my mom that her children aren't well brought up, bros my mama go finish u!

However my parents had a very acrimonious marriage and i grew up in a household with almost no love and encouragement and lots of fighting!! We would sometimes be subtly forced to take sides and then be punished by the opposing parent for doing so.

In our opinion, their divorce was like 8 years too late, cos it left all of us with truck loads of baggage, insecurities and issues!It is only after they divorced and actually quite recently that i began to deal with and overcome my issues which had hindered my relationships and progress.

Until you experience it you can never understand how traumatizing it is to grow up in an unhappy household. Some of that shit scars you for life. I feel that people who say  "stay cos of the kids", need to start really finding out what's best for those kids ooooo!

I love my parents, but i can't help wishing they had really taken time out to they were not good for each other much earlier and saved us all the trauma!

To some extent  what influences my decisions towards marriage and relationships is based more on when my parents were together, than when they separated.

I will never ever put any of my children through what i went through! Which to me means i have to think long and hard before i marry, cos i want to marry for life and raise my kids in a happy home.

My point being , some women from 'unbroken" homes have just as many issues and are bad wife material. The woman who was stabbed to death recently by her husband, may have still been alive today if she had walked away. i read somewhere that she didn't leave 'cos she didn't want her daughter to come from a broken home'. Unfortunately now the girl doesn't even have a home in the true sense, mother dead, father , !

I can't say authoritatively whether or not ladies from broken homes make good wives, but i do believe that it depends on the individual, we are a result of our own individual choices. External events affect us as much as we choose to let them.

However if you're not comfortable with marrying a lady from a broken home, by all means don't. At the end of the day it's what works for you.
allanohize:

etc etc etc!!

End of discussion!

2 Likes

Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by Blendy77(f): 6:16pm On Jul 08, 2011
It is not true and can never be true. Most children from broken homes or single parenthood are never happy to find themselves in such situation in the first place so following their mother or father's foot steps is out of it. As a girl from a broken home, u will even be more careful with ur marriage and try to do everything within ur means to make it work than someone who had all the love and care from a stable home because u don't want to be tag "like mother like daughter."
I say this because i'm talking from experience. When I was about getting married my inlaws where skeptical about my background cos according to them I was different amongst the 7 daughters-in-law they had, (my hubby is actually the last son). Today after 5 years of marriage my home is what my parents inlaw use as examples to correct their other daugters-inlaw who were from "stable" homes. We even had a situation where one of the son's marriage almost broke up due to the Girl's mother (who is in her husband's house) advice that they should divorce if they are not happy together anymore. It was that bad!
Three of my sis are hapily married and I have lots of friends and colleagues who are from broken homes and happily married. I know how many of my friend's marriage i have saved through advice and these are people who are from stable homes. I even think the divorce rate is higher with people from stable homes because they don't how it feels like unlike people from broken homes who have experienced it and will not want their kids to go thru that.
So it doesnt follow. You should look at the person in question, does she have what u earnestly desire in a wife? Is she God fearing? If she meets other criteria but from a broken home, pls go ahead and marry her. Divorce is not genetic and can never be inherited!

1 Like

Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by tpia5: 9:13pm On Jul 08, 2011
one of the son's marriage almost broke up due to the Girl's mother (who is in her husband's house) advice that they should divorce if they are not happy together anymore. It was that bad!

i was also wondering at the people who insist married women would never advise their daughters to divorce their husbands.

when it happens more often than not, i should think.

of course i could be wrong?
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by Dblank(f): 1:01am On Jul 22, 2011
not at all wink
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by denny4ril: 9:01pm On Jul 23, 2011
cool upbringing differs and this is situational. It is not in all cases that ladies from broken homes are bad materials. Some have used their experience in a positive way as they do not want to be a victim of their childhood experience
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by Elpieda: 2:47pm On Jul 26, 2011
Dear Mr Allanohize,

Any other comment after yours is pretty much irrelevant, Infact this thread should have been closed and sent to the recycle bin after your comment,

God bless you for your words of wisdom and I hope people will learn from it and realize that marriage is a great risk, You can only reduce the odds of your marriage not folding up prematurely by getting help from the very ONE who created the institution of marriage and reading his 'manual' on "how to use"

God bless us all
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by Johndoe100(m): 1:17pm On Jul 31, 2011
@OP
It is very true. Women from broken homes should be avoided when it comes to marriage.
They usually end up divorced or seperated themselves.
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by Goldieluks: 1:39pm On Jul 31, 2011
Am not from a broken home,but i don't think coming from a broken home
should determine whether the marriage would last or not.i think it depends on individual, really.
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by omalicha2: 8:52pm On Jul 31, 2011
I am from a broken home but i do everything possible 2 make my marriage work. My mum always encourage me 2 be a good wife
Re: Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? by tpia5: 9:21pm On Jul 31, 2011
^^i dont think you need to explain yourself to anybody.

let everyone be convinced in their own minds.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Husband And I Are Not Talking - And I Don't Know What To Do / HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice / I Don't Feel Attracted To My Wife Anymore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.