Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,262 members, 7,829,524 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? (28173 Views)

Nigerians React To 400L Student Of Unilorin Who Finds It Difficult To Express He / Why Foreign Graduates Find It Hard To Get A Job In Nigeria / How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Exceed15: 4:52pm On Mar 30, 2022
Communication is key here not good English.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Wonderlabius: 4:52pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why do some graduates find it difficult to speak good English? I mean, even to construct a simple sentence. Funny enough, most of these guys brag about their educational Degree and most of them tend to be very arrogant.

The funny part of it is that, they are even confident and proud with the blunders they make while speaking.

Has anyone met such graduate?
Some can speak good English but to pass small iq test hard them...

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by highness25(m): 4:52pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
I remembered a graduate guy like that, who had a girl child with a lady when he had not gone to the University then. When this guy went to the University and graduated, he became arrogant and started looking down on the lady that had a girl child with him. Funny enough, if u hear this guy English ehn! Na cut and join English him dey Speak. whereas, the lady was just an S.S.C.E holder. Her English even get hope for where him own dey.
I remember or "I remembered"?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by ovieigho(m): 4:52pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
So, what is the essence of going to School if u can't express urself well? What is the evidence that u are a graduate or u are well educated?

You think English language fluency is being taught in the university?

I have seen Guys that went to public primary schools , community colleges and made their ways to the universities?

They are brilliant but their fluency foundation is fulty already , you can’t redeem that in the university

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Godmademan(m): 4:52pm On Mar 30, 2022
We underestimate the value of the English composition and comprehension lessons given at primary and secondary levels. The Education Ministries do little to monitor content nowadays. I have picked some short literature and English language texts recently to assess the content and 'I saw terrible things'. Books are written for profit, not impact these days

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by FuckDModz: 4:53pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why do some graduates find it difficult to speak good English? I mean, even to construct a simple sentence. Funny enough, most of these guys brag about their educational Degree and most of them tend to be very arrogant.

The funny part of it is that, they are even confident and proud with the blunders they make while speaking.

You don't learn how to speak simple English at the university. If you missed it in pry/secondary, you may forever struggle with it. Even B.ed graduates dey gbagaun anyhow.

Blame it on poverty and terrible public pry/sec schools.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by hurtlery: 4:55pm On Mar 30, 2022
Speaking good English is not a measure of intelligence. There are thousands of brilliant scientists around the world who can barely speak English.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by LocalMan2(m): 4:56pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
So, what is the essence of going to School if u can't express urself well? What is the evidence that u are a graduate or u are well educated?
The evidence that you are a graduate is not based on how well you exercise with dictions and grammars, but based on the application of the learning process, the things you can remember after school. I have friends that speaks Polished Queens English like you but are broke, and I know people that don't believe in English construction that graduates are working under.
Just stay humble it's not about English.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by HeavenVGate: 4:56pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:

Yes and I'm one. Why should I speak good English for what? I'm more better and flow freely when speak in pidgin. Guess what was my class of Degree? FIRST CLASS 4.52. If you're looking for a crazy man when it come to mathematics, come knock on my door. I'm better than many gurus 100%

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 4:57pm On Mar 30, 2022
Enemyofpeace:
no mind the op. Kobo him no get for pocket
Obi Cubana, i hear u. grin
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Johnsown1(m): 4:59pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:

So you only went to school to speak english. Mr Pickford. It seems that you don't know the essence of going to school.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by oshaosha2014(m): 5:00pm On Mar 30, 2022
If you can't form good spoken English from your secondary school forget it, you can't speak it well again.

Truvelisback:

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Kaiser20: 5:02pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:

OP, i can easily predict your age, 19-22 years living with parents. When you grow up and understand the principles of success you delete this post

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by ultimateprof: 5:02pm On Mar 30, 2022
Because they did study English as a discipline, but other related courses. Moreover, no go dey do pass yourself.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by jayjay69: 5:03pm On Mar 30, 2022
Because they are still learning
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by sunshine1974(m): 5:04pm On Mar 30, 2022
I had to quit a relationship because of that. Very lovely girl but mennnnn, when she speaks you must look around. I tried my best, bought her books and tried everything possible but it didn't work, so I had to quit.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Jalaw: 5:04pm On Mar 30, 2022
Because most of them didn't finish with a degree in English.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by udomonday: 5:05pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:

you are one of them.it is met such graduates not met such graduate.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by jieta: 5:05pm On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:
Articulacy is the ability to speak fluently, and this can be done in any language in the world.

Education is the acquisition of "personal development", knowledge, skill development, habit, morals and values, These are the essence of education.

Therefore, education could be acquired in any language.
Out of this personal development is 'exposure'.

Exposure teaches that we have different people around the world with different languages.
German speaks their language
Spanish speaks theirs
Portuguese with theirs as well.

Hence, if someone can not speak a foreign language or other dialects, it doesn't mean the person is not educated.
But if someone has failed in the area of skill, value,moral, habit or personal development, it's an evidence that the person is not well educated.
Very good analogy, so from your explanation we can deduce that Nigeria politicians are not well educated.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by steveodo(m): 5:06pm On Mar 30, 2022
Have you heard Idians speak before? They have some of the best doctors in the world, even in USA, Canadian English can be detected from their tone, same goes with indian, assian etc but you see nothing wrong when this people speaks. The moment a Yoruba man speaks, your English error detecting machine becomes alive
Truvelisback:
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Rottymy: 5:07pm On Mar 30, 2022
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Olayetan(m): 5:08pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:

They weren't taught well...
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by mrkia(m): 5:08pm On Mar 30, 2022
Because much of them no gotten good teacher to taught them undecided
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by GistFullGround: 5:09pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:

You went to school to acquire knowledge!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by lite15(m): 5:11pm On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:
Articulacy is the ability to speak fluently, and this can be done in any language in the world.

Education is the acquisition of "personal development", knowledge, skill development, habit, morals and values, These are the essence of education.

Therefore, education could be acquired in any language.
Out of this personal development is 'exposure'.

Exposure teaches that we have different people around the world with different languages.
German speaks their language
Spanish speaks theirs
Portuguese with theirs as well.

Hence, if someone can not speak a foreign language or other dialects, it doesn't mean the person is not educated.
But if someone has failed in the area of skill, value,moral, habit or personal development, it's an evidence that the person is not well educated.

You said it all.
100% on point

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by seyz91(m): 5:12pm On Mar 30, 2022
Who english epp?
Truvelisback:

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:

Nairaland is full of them. Once you are not properly taught at the primary level it is difficult to correct.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Mar 30, 2022
highness25:
I remember or "I remembered"?

I remembered or I remember?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Oyiboman69: 5:16pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
I'm not rating their intellectual ability with that. Atleast, when one is educated, it should be evident in the way he or she expresses himself/herself. Some of them even lack Intellectual Capacity. Many of them that i have met, can't even speak other languages let alone English language. These same folks would be bragging abt their education Degree, feeling arrogant and pompous yet they can't even express themselves well in the public.
why are you equating education to English language?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by SenatePresdo(m): 5:16pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:

Many french, spanish, Italian and Asian Graduates residing in their home countries sees English as a secondary language and speaks it as one.
Asians are even worse, but they don't take it as a measure of intelligence, by which a graduate must know how to speak fluently.

But I don't have any problem that black people have innate low self-esteem about their culture.
Do you know that English is a secondary language to about 90% of Nigerians, be it a graduate or not?

Do you know that majority Graduates mostly speak English on an informal settings?
Let's say; in school, at office or when addressing someone on a professional level.

But once they go home, they often times speak their native dialect, just like a Spanish, French or an Asian man would do.

A Nigerian Graduate doesn't owe anybody a good English.
What you call blunder is simple mistakes that non English natives makes.
It's not as if you can't be able to understand what the person is saying.

What about Nigerians that grew in Nigeria that doesn't even know how to speak their dialect? I guess they are dummies isn't it?

There was a schoolmate of mine in Aba, he's very brilliant, dude was the best student during my secondary school days, he made parallel A's in Waec, graduated with first class IN UNN. Dude Is earning over 2.5 currently.
His English is still not that sound enough as an average aba boy that went to UNN. Not like he makes mistake often, but he's more good with written English.

Black man should be proud of his culture, and not look to mock someone that's is not so good in another man's culture.

Language is culture.

I can go on and on..

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Fawziya Kiite Koiki Graduates With First Class From A University In London / University Of Benin In Pictures / Fire Outbreak At Awolowo Hall, OAU University (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.