Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,460 members, 7,830,290 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? (28193 Views)

Nigerians React To 400L Student Of Unilorin Who Finds It Difficult To Express He / Why Foreign Graduates Find It Hard To Get A Job In Nigeria / How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by harsysky(m): 5:17pm On Mar 30, 2022
If you do not have good command of the Language while in primary or secondary school , it will be hard to learn when you are a graduate but not impossible.

Infact I passed my English while in WAEC, but deep down I knew I wasn't good. I had to start afresh when I left the university; I had to get English textbooks, download softcopies and also made use of google to improve.

It is not like there is a gain or a loss in it. I noticed my confidence increased. A lot of folks have burning questions to ask but their deficiency in the Language hinders them a lot

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by VIKTO83(m): 5:18pm On Mar 30, 2022
It boils down to a whole lot of factors.
Language is Art and u master Art by constant practice.
Imagine u were born in my village (with due respect) and u grew up in my village, ur primary and secondary school in my village, and u happen to attend d university in my village.
Don't forget na dialect we dey speak for our village ooo and u will see people like my granny and grandpa and their categories as people u communicate mostly with.
How u go fit speak correct English for ur life?
Besides English no be our language na.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by carl90(m): 5:19pm On Mar 30, 2022
That is because we have some graduates that passed through school. But the school didn't pass through them. These half baked graduates sleep- walked themselves through school. We would come here and be blaming government for a high unemployment rate. When large number of graduates are unemployable.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by opera1(m): 5:19pm On Mar 30, 2022
Ability to speak English fluently is not a measure of intelligent, some people can speak good English but cannot write a simple sentence or perform well in their academic activities.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Maobichek: 5:21pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
I remembered a graduate guy like that, who had a girl child with a lady when he had not gone to the University then. When this guy went to the University and graduated, he became arrogant and started looking down on the lady that had a girl child with him. Funny enough, if u hear this guy English ehn! Na cut and join English him dey Speak. whereas, the lady was just an S.S.C.E holder. Her English even get hope for where him own dey.

Good evening, it would have been better had you express yourself in clear/simple English language, immediately i saw " a graduate guy," i gave up. I believe that the essence of this thread is for "graduates" to correct this anomaly, thank you.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by DesignMaestro(m): 5:21pm On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:
Articulacy is the ability to speak fluently, and this can be done in any language in the world.

Education is the acquisition of "personal development", knowledge, skill development, habit, morals and values, These are the essence of education.

Therefore, education could be acquired in any language.
Out of this personal development is 'exposure'.

Exposure teaches that we have different people around the world with different languages.
German speaks their language
Spanish speaks theirs
Portuguese with theirs as well.

Hence, if someone can not speak a foreign language or other dialects, it doesn't mean the person is not educated.
But if someone has failed in the area of skill, value,moral, habit or personal development, it's an evidence that the person is not well educated.
This kind of reasoning is difficult to find among Nigerians. Inability to speak English fluently is though a big weakness considering the implications, but that doesn't make someone incompetent or poorly educated. We should know that language is a skill on its own. Some are well endowed with it while others are not.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by sunnedee2: 5:22pm On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:
Articulacy is the ability to speak fluently, and this can be done in any language in the world.

Education is the acquisition of "personal development", knowledge, skill development, habit, morals and values, These are the essence of education.

Exposure teaches that we have different people around the world with different languages.
Spanish speaks theirs

Hence, if someone can not speak a foreign language or other dialects, it doesn't mean the person is not educated.
But if someone has failed in the area of skill, value,moral, habit or personal development, it's an evidence that the person is not well educated.
Wonderful!
Bia! You don marry?
If yes... Ermmm... Greet your husband for me.
If no... I want to marry you right now.... This offer expires in 24 hours.... Send a DM to get started.

PS: It doesn't matter of you have a boy friend. The offer still stands.
PPS: I have 2 wives already.

Back to the topic.
Fluency in English (or any language for that matter) is different from education/intelligence. Some people can speak English like fire but dem no sabi anything.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Iliya1520: 5:22pm On Mar 30, 2022
what of China, potigal, Russia, Saudi, and many more that don't even use English as anything. are they illiterate too?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Oyiboman69: 5:22pm On Mar 30, 2022
silibaba:

The best graduating student in my department (mech. Engr.) don't even know how to speak English. He's a genius. He broke our department record that year. Even got As in his English courses in year 1. Is not about speaking it.

Funny enough, he was always busy playing PlayStation. You hardly see him read.

He later told me that the only time he learn is when the lecturer is in front of us. He make sure he understand everything at the lecture hall there. Once he understand the topic, he will solve any problem related to that topic.

People no longer look at grammar anymore, result matters now.

Nigeria hosted Ghana yesterday, nobody looked at ball possession, shot on target etc. What we are concern with is final RESULT.
the funny thing Is that many English people don't even know how to construct simple sentence then I ask my self if what they are teaching us over here here is the correct thing....

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
Oh! u are hurt. I percieve that u can relate. I'm not in anyway condemning any of them. My point is that, they should humble themselves rather than being arrogant and Proud in their blunders and ignorance.

You are the ignorant one for you think education is all about good English.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 5:27pm On Mar 30, 2022
Enemyofpeace:
Op will you shut the fok up and stop carrying another man's language on your head as if it would take you to heaven. Travel out of Nigeria and see how some white people can't speak the so called English language correctly. Who English epp? Fok English language!

Please I need someone to show me some love and infection, I'm broken earthed
U need someone to show u some love and infection, lol.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by kingyakos: 5:27pm On Mar 30, 2022
What do you think Nigeria can achieve out from a borrowed language

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Timibraun0010: 5:28pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why do some graduates find it difficult to speak good English? I mean, even to construct a simple sentence. Funny enough, most of these guys brag about their educational Degree and most of them tend to be very arrogant.

The funny part of it is that, they are even confident and proud with the blunders they make while speaking.

Has anyone met such graduate?

Street ti take over
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 5:29pm On Mar 30, 2022
ekoyo:
Is English our mother-tongue language?
No, would u use ur mother tongue in a Job interview?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by MadeMan01(m): 5:29pm On Mar 30, 2022
Culture of sorting lecturers, "let my people go" mentality and English is not my language mentality, and debased educational standards with low cut of marks rather than a uniform standard

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 5:30pm On Mar 30, 2022
Misterone:
inferiority complex dey worry the OP. Mr OP, English is a language like any other language. it is not a measure of intelligence. I have seen people speak queens English but can't write down a simple sentence. Also, I have seen people who can't speak good English but can write it down perfectly. OP don't look down on your mother tongue. speak it. even when people are speaking English, speak back with your mother tongue. stop this slave mentality.
Would u use ur mother tongue in a job interview?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Kingsley1000(m): 5:30pm On Mar 30, 2022
SenatePresdo:

Many french, spanish, Italian and Asian Graduates residing in their home countries sees English as a secondary language and speaks it as one.
Asians are even worse, but they don't take it as a measure of intelligence, by which a graduate must know how to speak fluently.

But I don't have any problem that black people have innate low self-esteem about their culture.
Do you know that English is a secondary language to about 90% of Nigerians, be it a graduate or not?

Do you know that majority Graduates mostly speak English on an informal settings?
Let's say; in school, at office or when addressing someone on a professional level.

But once they go home, they often times speak their native dialect, just like a Spanish, French or an Asian man would do.

A Nigerian Graduate doesn't owe anybody a good English.
What you call blunder is simple mistakes that non English natives makes.
It's not as if you can't be able to understand what the person is saying.

What about Nigerians that grew in Nigeria that doesn't even know how to speak their dialect? I guess they are dummies isn't it?

There was a schoolmate of mine in Aba, he's very brilliant, dude was the best student during my secondary school days, he made parallel A's in Waec, graduated with first class IN UNN. Dude Is earning over 2.5 currently.
His English is still not that sound enough as an average aba boy that went to UNN. Not like he makes mistake often, but he's more good with written English.

Black man should be proud of his culture, and not look to mock someone that's is not so good in another man's culture.

Language is culture.

I can go on and on..

Even Donald Trump and Biden makes blunders sometimes.
Most Footballers, Coaches in Uk that have stayed up to 10years are still struggling with English language

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Sunnyski: 5:31pm On Mar 30, 2022
Because all they do is cheat, give in kind or cash and pass.

In my former lecturer's voice: you read to know and you sort to pass.

All they do is play cultism.

And at the end they will say school na scam.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Babastrong(m): 5:32pm On Mar 30, 2022
You mean Goodluck's wife?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Vipro(m): 5:34pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
Bro, i am not a Prof. My point is that, they shouldn't be arrogant and pompous. By they way, not all of them are stinkingly rich. Many of them that i have met are under employed or jobless.
***By the way not "By then way".

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Kingsley1000(m): 5:35pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
No, would u use ur mother tongue in a Job interview?

Indian, Hong Kong, Singapore etc their official language is English yet 70% of their citizens speak poor English

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by tempusfugit: 5:36pm On Mar 30, 2022
OP YOU ASKING THIS QUESTION MEANS ONE THING , YOU RE ILLITERATE DESPITE YOURSELF CLAIM EDUCATED

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 5:37pm On Mar 30, 2022
muykem:
Because a good English is not an evidence of sound brain.
What is it then? A dull brain?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by xynerise: 5:37pm On Mar 30, 2022
How does speaking Good English make you a successful person?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by statesman6: 5:40pm On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:

Spanish speaks theirs

Have gained a lot from this. Can u imagine somebody who call himself a literate asking what's the essence of education if you cannot speak English. Meanwhile English is just a language, you cannot use language to measure intelligence

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by viklegend(m): 5:40pm On Mar 30, 2022
Russians speak their language, Chinese speak Chinese, french people speak french but somehow Nigerian think only those wo speak English fluently were educated properly

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 5:40pm On Mar 30, 2022
RALPHOW:
The same reason why some people are not good in mathematics.
English is a language and people have the ability to pick language faster than each other.
Some of us always wonder why people cannot
solve simple mathematics like algebra.
Understanding of mathematics or any related science subjects like Physics, chemistry and further maths is a special gift from God.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by rickleye: 5:43pm On Mar 30, 2022
tayo60:
Because English is not their mother tongue
Savage grin
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 5:45pm On Mar 30, 2022
highness25:
I remember or "I remembered"?
Prof, na which one correct? grin
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Solatium(m): 5:45pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why do some graduates find it difficult to speak good English? I mean, even to construct a simple sentence. Funny enough, most of these guys brag about their educational Degree and most of them tend to be very arrogant.

The funny part of it is that, they are even confident and proud with the blunders they make while speaking.

Has anyone met such graduate?

English is just a language,the mastery of it doesn't mean you are highly intelligent,have you ever spoken to the British who owns the language themselves? you will discover that we speak better English when compare to them.
The only part that is not acceptable to me is when people brags,God knows i dislike braggarts.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by ocheola01: 5:46pm On Mar 30, 2022
The place where dem dey speak English dey on strike. That you speak good English doesn't mean you are intelligent. English is not the main reason why people go to school.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Condition Of Rivers State University Hostel: Pics & Video / Unizik 2011/2012 Admission Statue Is Out On Www.jamb.org.ng / Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.