Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,396 members, 7,830,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? (28189 Views)

Nigerians React To 400L Student Of Unilorin Who Finds It Difficult To Express He / Why Foreign Graduates Find It Hard To Get A Job In Nigeria / How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by MisterKennedy(m): 4:39pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why do some graduates find it difficult to speak good English? I mean, even to construct a simple sentence. Funny enough, most of these guys brag about their educational Degree and most of them tend to be very arrogant.

The funny part of it is that, they are even confident and proud with the blunders they make while speaking.

Has anyone met such graduate?

Dear Nairalanders,

Please help a brother out.

I need a job

I live in Jos Nigeria, plateau State

Please help me Nairalanders

I'm willing to work for anybody remotely or in person.

Please help me secure a job Nairalanders.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Knows(m): 4:39pm On Mar 30, 2022

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Knows(m): 4:39pm On Mar 30, 2022
I need work pls... hunger want kill me...
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by elytevybz(m): 4:39pm On Mar 30, 2022
i know of a yoruba guy who cant speak without blunder but the guy is stuff like mad .
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by effort1: 4:39pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
So, what is the essence of going to School if u can't express urself well? What is the evidence that u are a graduate or u are well educated?

You can express yourself well in other languages, not just English language.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by muykem: 4:39pm On Mar 30, 2022
Because a good English is not an evidence of sound brain.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Burgerlomo: 4:40pm On Mar 30, 2022
jetwonder:
grin because some lecturer don't speak good English

So they pass it over and the trend continues grin
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by BRATISLAVA: 4:40pm On Mar 30, 2022
Airsaylongcome, come and see this!

Isn't the lingua franca English in Nigeria? Yet see some responses. Most of these people can't speak, read or write correctly in their own languages, too.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Enemyofpeace: 4:40pm On Mar 30, 2022
Beautiful94:
With all the challenges we face in this country, speaking good english is all you think about? Na was o
no mind the op. Kobo him no get for pocket

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by MrBroke(m): 4:41pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
So, what is the essence of going to School if u can't express urself well? What is the evidence that u are a graduate or u are well educated?

How can u say this, It shows you are not educated, Do you know how many educated people in China who can't speak English. English is a language nigga, so cause I can't speak yoruba am not educated, is it? grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by dreu2fine(m): 4:41pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why do some graduates find it difficult to speak good English? I mean, even to construct a simple sentence. Funny enough, most of these guys brag about their educational Degree and most of them tend to be very arrogant.

The funny part of it is that, they are even confident and proud with the blunders they make while speaking.

Has anyone met such graduate?
its because english is not our language ok

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Enemyofpeace: 4:41pm On Mar 30, 2022
muykem:
Because a good English is not an evidence of sound brain.
God bless you jare

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by YeyeGbami: 4:41pm On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:
English is not a measure of intelligence, it's just a foreign Language.
Once you can understand the message they're trying to pass... it's cool

Until you have to do ielts test. wink
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Lifepia: 4:41pm On Mar 30, 2022
The reason Nigerian graduates do not speak well is due to the educational curriculum, which does not include speech classes. The speaking engagement is lacking from Elementary or Primary school level and should be made a focus on the school curriculum and then it will translate to better speaking graduates later in their lives.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by belovedaja(m): 4:43pm On Mar 30, 2022
I am one of them, I have not stopped or finished learning English language, i am still learning.
Ability to speak English is not a measure of intelligence.
As you can see my sentences above are not correctly correct.
Thank you for the question, good afternoon

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Burgerlomo: 4:45pm On Mar 30, 2022
respect80:

Now let's hope this was simply a typo error.

Monitoring spirit everywhere cool

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by RALPHOW(m): 4:45pm On Mar 30, 2022
The same reason why some people are not good in mathematics.
English is a language and people have the ability to pick language faster than each other.
Some of us always wonder why people cannot
solve simple mathematics like algebra.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by KingDamzzy(m): 4:45pm On Mar 30, 2022
Because they didn't learn the rudiments of speaking and writing well in primary school.

Once your primary education bedrock is shaky, it is extremely difficult to catch up.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Beautiful94: 4:46pm On Mar 30, 2022
grin
Enemyofpeace:
no mind the op. Kobo him no get for pocket
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by adeniyilamlek(m): 4:46pm On Mar 30, 2022
belovedaja:
I am one of them, I have not stopped or finished learning English language, i am still learning.
Ability to speak English is not a measure of intelligence.
As you can see my sentences above are not correctly correct.
Thank you for the question, good afternoon
grin
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Burgerlomo: 4:47pm On Mar 30, 2022
OBoy50:
Your English is very bad sir! grin

Shot fired, I repeat shot fired. grin
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by respect80(m): 4:47pm On Mar 30, 2022
Burgerlomo:

Monitoring spirit everywhere cool

You don see am na grin
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by aloma007(m): 4:47pm On Mar 30, 2022
Owo ni koko man.....

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by playcharles(m): 4:48pm On Mar 30, 2022
This OP will find it difficult to make it in life, his life duty is to spot bad spoken english when the likes be it Obi Cubana, Dangote or Otedola speaks

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Onyeziokwu(m): 4:49pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:

You got it wrong mate!
The essence of going to school is not just about the foreign language except for those that studied English Language as a course thus, fair enough but aside that, no way!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by ArinzeAnthony03: 4:50pm On Mar 30, 2022
You don't use English to measure someone levels of intelligence. If you want to measure the person's intelligence ask the person to speak using his/her mother tongue. In addition, if you read English language in the higher institute, then you oat to speak good English, however, remember that the owners of the English we speak doesn't even speak the correct ones sometimes. English is one among different languages or subjects in the university. Mathematics has it own language, physics, chemistry and many more. Many languages use theirs in solving problems which they arrive at the same answer, so, English language is no better than any other language.

If you doubt me, as a first class English/white student in Britain to learn how to write or speak in Igbo language, the person will definitely find it difficult just as we do in English down here

Therefore, someone like me know how to make a good sentence and write well in English but thats if I am discussing with you in a formal settings. But if I am with you on non formal setting, I will speak anything I want so far I know you will understand.

Thus, in Nigeria, if you want to be formal with your spoken English, the other person will think that you are forming for him or her.

It is only when I want to toast a babe that I use good English but if the babe fall for me eee, I will go back to my normal Nigeria English.

Mind you that I am a graduate.

Who English help?

If you speak too much in Nigeria, na one police slap or army go reset you brain.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Ibkrichie(m): 4:50pm On Mar 30, 2022
[quote author=sherylbaky post=111483805] Articulacy is the ability to speak fluently, and this can be done in any language in the world.

Education is the acquisition of "personal development", knowledge, skill development, habit, morals and values, These are the essence of education.

Therefore, education could be acquired in any language.
Out of this personal development is 'exposure'.

Exposure teaches that we have different people around the world with different languages.
German speaks their language
Spanish speaks theirs
Portuguese with theirs as well.

Hence, if someone can not speak a foreign language or other dialects, it doesn't mean the person is not educated.
But if someone has failed in the area of skill, value,moral, habit or personal development, it's an evidence that the person is not well educated.

Thumbs up

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by bhassan20: 4:50pm On Mar 30, 2022
Notyourfrienddd:

A very wretched excuse

Don't mind him. They are unperturbed about one's communication skills, yet their parents spend thousands of Naira to get them the best study materials to improve their mastery of the English language they deem unimportant.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by pqmeup: 4:51pm On Mar 30, 2022
This very issue is true. Many University graduates find it difficult speaking correct English.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 4:51pm On Mar 30, 2022
MrBroke:

How can u say this, It shows you are not educated, Do you know how many educated people in China who can't speak English. English is a language nigga, so cause I can't speak yoruba am not educated, is it? grin
English language is our official language. Anyone who pass tru Primary, Secondary and higher instutition and is poor in it, has a problem. By the way, do ur teachers or Lecturers in School teach or lecture u in Yoruba language?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by FX2BROWN: 4:52pm On Mar 30, 2022
I met alot in my NYSC days that were struggling wit English. But, I discovered that they could not develop theyselves by reading and association wit the right people. Too bad!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: El-Rufai Threatens To Sack All Kaduna Lecturers / Condition Of Rivers State University Hostel: Pics & Video / Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.