Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,711 members, 7,955,683 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:40 PM

Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? (17921 Views)

Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable / Why Are Nigerian Lecturers Wicked To Their Students? (Photo) / Nigerian Graduates With First Class From Nottingham Trent University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 4:31pm On Jul 05, 2011
jay bee:

Chairman debosky has already hit the nail on the head
It's simply not economically viable bro. use ya brain  grin grin grin grin.
Why do you think Apple assembles their numerous products in China?

excuses excuses and more excuses. ahhhhhhh if you look at the word 'excuse' in the dictionary, you will see jay bees mean mugg staring right back at ya
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 4:35pm On Jul 05, 2011
kodewrita:

You operate on rumours. Unless your friends work for oil servicing firms, the Oil majors employ nigerians who are called "company men". They have the power to kick any (i repeat any) one off the rig, white, black, phillipino etc. They are equals and in many cases superior to those white people.

Even the oil servicing companies recruit nigerians for important jobs. I have friends who have been rig managers for Slumberger, Halliburton etc in places as far as kazakhstan, Kashagan, moscow and even gulf of mexico. Nigerians. Graduates of FUTO and UNIBEN. Exceptionally Great Engineers.

You have never been to a rig and frustrated friends are telling you stories.

Try and comment on stuff you know about.
its only grammar if you dont understand it.

All those things you mentioned, succeeded because the policies aided them not because they had better engineers.

What is the connection between engineering competence and shipping policies?

What is the connection between that and deliberately derelict military equipment (when certain people profit from stealing and reselling the same arms to us or worse, selling it to criminals and militants).

Example; Local govt, state and federal govt tax a factory business to death, and you think the next logical thing is to blame the engineers. what is the logical connection between those?

has it occured to you that some of those conditions were deliberately created by some crooked policymakers in spite of the actions of the engineers?

Just be logical. simple.
ol lying azz. stop telling tall tales. none of your friends are oil rig managers in kazakhstan. heck if it wasnt for ali G, you wouldnt even know that kazakhstan existed. lying azz negro. look the fact is what it is. accept it. only then can you remedy it.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jul 05, 2011
kodewrita:

You operate on rumours. Unless your friends work for oil servicing firms, the Oil majors employ nigerians who are called "company men". They have the power to kick any (i repeat any) one off the rig, white, black, phillipino etc. They are equals and in many cases superior to those white people.

Even the oil servicing companies recruit nigerians for important jobs. I have friends who have been rig managers for Slumberger, Halliburton etc in places as far as kazakhstan, Kashagan, moscow and even gulf of mexico. Nigerians. Graduates of FUTO and UNIBEN. Exceptionally Great Engineers.

You have never been to a rig and frustrated friends are telling you stories.

Try and comment on stuff you know about.
its only grammar if you dont understand it.

All those things you mentioned, succeeded because the policies aided them not because they had better engineers.

What is the connection between engineering competence and shipping policies?

What is the connection between that and deliberately derelict military equipment (when certain people profit from stealing and reselling the same arms to us or worse, selling it to criminals and militants).

Example; Local govt, state and federal govt tax a factory business to death, and you think the next logical thing is to blame the engineers. what is the logical connection between those?

has it occured to you that some of those conditions were deliberately created by some crooked policymakers in spite of the actions of the engineers?

Just be logical. simple.

I agree with you in some areas ,but why will a Nigerian want to betray Nigeria everytime.I taught Nigeria banned furnitures,chicken ,juice,but now they are back.I have onced followed a turkish national to fix furnitures he produced by himself in Nigeria,but the funniest thing was that the big man was so impressed that white people came to fix his furnitures.If an elite can think this way,what about the ordinary Nigerians.The indians power manufacturing in Nigeria,the Lebanese dominate construction,Hotel and upscale resturants ,The Americans oil and gas,Trading in the market place with locals,chinese.Togolese,construction,bricklayers ,sothAfricans ,telecoms,Hotel etc
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 4:43pm On Jul 05, 2011
debosky:

I dey jare, how your side sef? You suppose spend some of that dooch on awon boiz oh. cheesy

Who do you think built the peppersoup manufacturing plants? cheesy cheesy

But seriously, what are these resources you're talking about? Will the engineer convert iron ore to steel using his bare hands? Will he convert sand (silica) at bar beach into photovoltaic cells with his hot breath? cheesy

Like I said, organisational deficiencies and lack of capital are responsible. In other countries there are deliberate policies to encourage local manufacturing but when the country has issues running an iron smelter then you can appreciate the problems involved.

Besides, the efforts of Nigerian engineers go largely unnoticed. Without their ingenuity and creativity, power stations like Egbin and Kainji would have been out of operation. It is a minor miracle that our engineers have kept them running despite meagre/non-existent maintenance and parts.
my end dey kampe bros. you know say i am on ya side of the atlantic now ?come holla at my side i go buy you peppersoup and moet  grin. lmao so na the naija engineers build peppersoup manufacturing plant ? sounds like thats right up their alley. building phantom projects (seeing as no one has heard of it  grin ) you do know that you do not need the govt in nigeria in order to make things happen right ? thats an excuse. did etisalat wait for nigerian govt before they built their communication brand in nigeria ? see thats that lazy nigerian mentality of waiting for a non-existent govt to solve all our problems. any engineer with true knowledge will build a prototype of what he is doing in his garage and then go and look for investors. thats how it is done. am tired of excuses mayne. if youhave the know-how best believe you would look for investors to back you up
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 4:45pm On Jul 05, 2011
coogar:

your govt is the real mccoy! the most useless set of politicians since the earth was created.
hey at least they are good at something right ? 'being useless' that is
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by kodewrita(m): 4:46pm On Jul 05, 2011
buzugee:

ol lying azz. stop telling tall tales. none of your friends are oil rig managers in kazakhstan. heck if it wasnt for ali G, you wouldnt even know that kazakhstan existed. lying azz negro. look the fact is what it is. accept it. only then can you remedy it.

In English?

Sorry but some of us had libraries @ home and did not have to run out of the country for sustenance/adult education.

A few of us had the brains and the favour to be able to make it IN nigeria.

And a few of us have it REAL GOOD HERE IN NIGERIA.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 4:47pm On Jul 05, 2011
blacksta:

Useless Engineers - They cant even build a simple wind mill to power a kettle.  I have always wondered what they teach them at uni.

Building a wind mill  to power stuff should be one of simplest things for an engineering graduate

Go to you tube - you will find young men without engineering degrees in the western world building home made wind mills connected to battery powering shi t  .  

The only thing u will find Nigerian students doing, is cramming  or obtaining one degree to another ( thus remaining forever broke , no commercial experience ) - what a joke
grin grin grin
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 4:49pm On Jul 05, 2011
kodewrita:

In English?

Sorry but some of us had libraries @ home and did not have to run out of the country for sustenance/adult education.

A few of us had the brains and the favour to be able to make it IN nigeria.

And a few of us have it REAL GOOD HERE IN NIGERIA.

and whats your point exactly ? so you have it good in naija ? do you want a pat on the back ? or a cookie ?
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by dustydee: 4:51pm On Jul 05, 2011
Our refineries are not working but the ones discovered in the creeks are working. The old PH refinery is not working because of a cooling tower so the engineers should contribute money and buy a cooling tower for the refinery?
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by dustydee: 4:55pm On Jul 05, 2011
blacksta:

Useless Engineers - They cant even build a simple wind mill to power a kettle.  I have always wondered what they teach them at uni.

Building a wind mill  to power stuff should be one of simplest things for an engineering graduate

Go to you tube - you will find young men without engineering degrees in the western world building home made wind mills connected to battery powering shi t  .  

The only thing u will find Nigerian students doing, is cramming or obtaining one degree to another ( thus remaining forever broke , no commercial experience ) - what a joke
A lot of people who dropped out of engineering in school or who couldn't get admission to study engineering are usually not happy when they see engineers. sorry not our fault.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 4:58pm On Jul 05, 2011
dustydee:

Our refineries are not working but the ones discovered in the creeks are working. The old PH refinery is not working because of a cooling tower so the engineers should contribute money and buy a cooling tower for the refinery?
see thats that typical docile nigerian mindset. look heres an idea. engineers all over the country form a strong union. a strong lobby group. a political lobby group. and then in numbers you harrass the govt for things you think ought to get done and trust me you will get the funding. you think say govt will voluntarily dish out cash to you ? see you gotta be pro-active, but then again nigerians wouldnt know anything about being pro-active
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by coogar: 5:14pm On Jul 05, 2011
buzugee:

see thats that typical docile nigerian mindset. look heres an idea. engineers all over the country form a strong union. a strong lobby group. a political lobby group. and then in numbers you harrass the govt for things you think ought to get done and trust me you will get the funding. you think say govt will voluntarily dish out cash to you ? see you gotta be pro-active, but then again nigerians wouldnt know anything about being pro-active

nigerian teachers have been doing that for the past 50 years and nothing has been achieved. the nigerian teacher is still one of the worst paid employees in the universe. your government is pathetic and until they get the book thrown at them, they will never change.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by debosky(m): 5:15pm On Jul 05, 2011
buzugee:

my end dey kampe bros. you know say i am on ya side of the atlantic now ?come holla at my side i go buy you peppersoup and moet  grin.

Since when? Ol boy you suppose give me your details make I come chop and quench at your expense. grin

you do know that you do not need the govt in nigeria in order to make things happen right ? thats an excuse. did etisalat wait for nigerian govt before they built their communication brand in nigeria ? see thats that lazy nigerian mentality of waiting for a non-existent govt to solve all our problems. any engineer with true knowledge will build a prototype of what he is doing in his garage and then go and look for investors. thats how it is done. am tired of excuses mayne. if youhave the know-how best believe you would look for investors to back you up

Etisalat is a company owned by the UAE, using government funds as its source of investment. It is hardly an example of going to look for investors.

How many people build prototypes in garages these days? Those are romantic images from the 80's from Bill Gates and co. These days, majority of innovation occurs at expensive research facilities either owned by governments or wealthy corporations. To deny this would be equal to ignoring established technology and trying to reinvent the wheel.

Nigerian inventors have come up with a number of inventions in the past that haven't been backed up by investment. The constraints of the wider economy make innovation difficult and many gems are going unrecognised.

Not only do they build wind mills, they've built a helicopter. tongue

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-87638.0.html
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 05, 2011
While I agree that deliberate state policy encourages ingenuity, it is only an added bonus. Necessity, they say, is the mother of ingenuity. There are lots of things that we lack in Nigeria that a creative mind can solve.

An example, is the fact that foreigners are the ones that made a machine to pound yam for us. That is is for a product that is indigenous to Nigeria which a Nigerian engineer could have dreamt up.

We are still shelling egusi seeds with our bare hands when a jobless engineering graduate can put his brain to work to create an egusi shelling maching and become a millionaire selling his products while creating jobs and a whole new industry.

That is how foreign technology giants are birthed. Companies like Boeing, Honda, Dell, Guinness, Ford, Yamaha, Cad-bury, Pfizer, Lockheed, DuPont etc are the names of individuals who started from small bursts of ingenuity. We can do it too if we believe in ourselves!

Warren Buffet once said that they are two kinds of people: Those who believe they can do anything and those who believe they can't. Guess what, they are both right!!
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by debosky(m): 5:25pm On Jul 05, 2011
kalokalo:

While I agree that deliberate state policy encourages ingenuity, it is only an added bonus. Necessity, they say, is the mother of ingenuity. There are lots of things that we lack in Nigeria that a creative mind can solve.

An example, is the fact that foreigners are the ones that made a machine to pound yam for us. That is is for a product that is indigenous to Nigeria which a Nigerian engineer could have dreamt up.

We are still shelling egusi seeds with our bare hands when a jobless engineering graduate can put his brain to work to create an egusi shelling maching and become a millionaire selling his products while creating jobs and a whole new industry.

That is how foreign technology giants are birthed. Companies like Boeing, Honda, Dell, Guinness, Ford, Yamaha, Cad-bury, Pfizer, Lockheed, DuPont etc are the names of individuals who started from small bursts of ingenuity. We can do it too if we believe in ourselves!

Warren Buffet once said that they are two kinds of people: Those who believe they can do anything and those who believe they can't. Guess what, they are both right!!

This is sheer ignorance. If you knew the number of agro-processing equipment that have been produced by FIIRO (Federal Institute of Industrial Research) in Nigeria, you would marvel. The lack of adoption of these devices is not a reflection of a lack of creativity.

http://www.fiiro-ng.org/equipment.htm

FYI - Nigerian companies make yam pounders and other local appliances. Addis Engineering is one good example.

You need to move beyond your preconceived notions and look at the reality on the ground.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jul 05, 2011
debosky:

This is sheer ignorance. If you knew the number of agro-processing equipment that have been produced by FIIRO (Federal Institute of Industrial Research) in Nigeria, you would marvel. The lack of adoption of these devices is not a reflection of a lack of creativity.

http://www.fiiro-ng.org/equipment.htm

FYI - Nigerian companies make yam pounders and other local appliances. Addis Engineering is one good example.

You need to move beyond your preconceived notions and look at the reality on the ground.

why are they not avaliable in the market place?you just they yarn,they are very stupid period.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by coogar: 5:33pm On Jul 05, 2011
kalokalo:

you are talking bollocks, i am afriad.

first things first. . . . .i don't even think we are producing enough science and engineering students at the top level. half of undergraduate degrees in china, singapore and japan are awarded in science/engineering. the few brilliant students nigeria produce still seek greener pastures abroad to further their education and they rarely come back to nigeria cos their level of skills can never be appreciated in nigeria.

however you look at it, it's the government that is screwing nigeria engineers up.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jul 05, 2011
Construct your roads first .We just create jobs for others.even basic clothing.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by netghost: 6:32pm On Jul 05, 2011
shocked shocked cheesy cheesy, *passing*
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by rman: 6:38pm On Jul 05, 2011
IF you think all engineers in Nigeria are useless, it only tells your own level of exposure. Look closely around you they are doing great things.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by hardbody: 6:47pm On Jul 05, 2011
@ Post

This is the beauty of freedom of speech. So long as you do not directly (or even indirectly) defame my character, you are at liberty to open your mouth and gush out stupidit.y. I am not an engineer, but the moment you start categorizing people the way you have just done, all i see is a frustrated, half-bred school drop out, chatting from a cyber cafe and hating everything he will never have or be in life. How about you do a little bit of research and confirm for yourself what is even needed in the first instance to train and qualify as an engineer and then the place of an engineer in a corrupt ridden country as ours where you are not given a slim chance to be the best you can. Maggots that open their mouth and spew gabbage belong exactly where they should be, in the gabbage bin. If you read and comprehend this, (which i honestly doubt in all sincerety) then you'd be expecting me to get into gutter language exchange with you. Wrong. I have seen engineers, i studied in school with some, given the right environment outside our shores, they have not only excelled, but have made indelible marks. Let the insults start coming
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by Rastamann: 6:57pm On Jul 05, 2011
AGEGE AREA BOY, it is called Perception! Which one you sabi?
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by Rgp92: 7:28pm On Jul 05, 2011
Nigerians like to blame the Government for their failure. Always crying. Worse of all, they wont do something about it. I wonder too, what the engineers are taught at school in Nigeria.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jul 05, 2011
small small ooo this topic is disgraceful oooooo, please ooooooooooo, i beg small small ooooooooo
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by emmatok(m): 7:37pm On Jul 05, 2011
@buzugee

all the engineers and petroleun engineers we have in nigeria and they cannot refine crude oil and neither can they build oil rigs. what exactly do nigerian engineers learn in school apart from how to balance moinmoin on top of eko so that it does not fall down ?

I do not know were you come from, but you saying "Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers" because they can build refineries  is wrong.

Intelligent people don't generalise.

You forgot the the following:

1. Not all Engineers are meant to build refineries, Engineering  got differant fields.

2. All Engineering projects are capital intensive, you need an investor(not likely an engineer) before thinking of building a refinery.

3.The government don't encourage our local Engineers, just two months ago the-same government destroyed hundred  of mini-refineries in the SS.

Claiming those refineries are illegal, when the government can easily license them and regulate their activities.

So don't just come blaming innocent people for Nigeria's sickness.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by aremite: 7:50pm On Jul 05, 2011
Is not d problem of d engineers, is d problem nigeria.cos nigeria education is very bad.am also a student of mechanical engineer.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by Muza(m): 8:18pm On Jul 05, 2011
hardbody:

@ Post

This is the beauty of freedom of speech. So long as you do not directly (or even indirectly) defame my character, you are at liberty to open your mouth and gush out stupidit.y. I am not an engineer, but the moment you start categorizing people the way you have just done, all i see is a frustrated, half-bred school drop out, chatting from a cyber cafe and hating everything he will never have or be in life. How about you do a little bit of research and confirm for yourself what is even needed in the first instance to train and qualify as an engineer and then the place of an engineer in a corrupt ridden country as ours where you are not given a slim chance to be the best you can. Maggots that open their mouth and spew gabbage belong exactly where they should be, in the gabbage bin. If you read and comprehend this, (which i honestly doubt in all sincerety) then you'd be expecting me to get into gutter language exchange with you. Wrong. I have seen engineers, i studied in school with some, given the right environment outside our shores, they have not only excelled, but have made indelible marks. Let the insults start coming

thank you very much for this comment,the poster is prolly a frustrated, half-backed science graduate who applied for Engineering in the Uni but was too dumb to pass jamb and make the required grades,hence he was shipped to the sciences or maybe something less challenging where he managed to graduate with a third-class,and is having hell of a time securing even a security job.

@illiterate poster,
But nevertheless,as a frustrated 3rd class graduate who couldn't get admission to study engineering you are forgiven.
go and sin no more grin
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by member479760: 8:18pm On Jul 05, 2011
Nigerians engineers are not totally useless, they might be useless in Nigeria but else where they might be useful. The same people, you guys are singing as Nigerian heroes make them redundant and that interprets to uselessness.

Our heroes told us that once you graduate as an Engineer, you gotta have big office with AC, the whiteman will report to you, just sign the paper and blow good grammar to present the job well done by the whiteman.

for the engineers to really answer the name engineer, they must be ready to get their hand dirty, and dont say is the job of the technicians. if the technicians can do the job then while should the company employ engineers. beside, if an engineer is not ready to get his hands dirty, he cant gain the know-how, then who is going to train the technicians to do the job?

These same guys that read engineering are leading guys in most of the subjects in secondary school, they are gifted, with available resources they can do something, only if the government want them to do so and if they change their altitude in the right directions and leave what our so called heroes told us.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jul 05, 2011
Not all a useless.

A majority of them are.

Most of these Non-SW education certification should not even be looked at. While some SW certificate should be looked at very very well.

Too much puzzy for deek and money for paper going on in Naija.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jul 05, 2011
However, I do believe Nigerian engineers are one of the smartest.

They work hard as international students over here. Bright sets of people.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jul 05, 2011
I don't think its exclusively an engineer problem; its the same for economists, doctors, and all categories of 'technocrats'. The system stinks. They would only be speaking useless grammar and be offering useless excuses and rationalizations. Yet they can't make anything WORK, and when they fail to provide solutions to problems, they would blame government and find other similar, familiar excuses. It's a big problem.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jul 05, 2011
proO1:

I don't think its exclusively an engineer problem; its the same for economists, doctors, and all categories of 'technocrats'. The system stinks. They would only be speaking useless grammar and be offering useless excuses and rationalizations. Yet they can't make anything WORK, and when they fail to provide solutions to problems, they would blame government and find other similar, familiar excuses. It's a big problem.

GBAM!!!

Most Nigerian engineers (my friends) that came here for their masters do not want to go back. The field they work in demands a lot of technological advancement that Nigeria is unable to provide for them. Without those advance technologies, they cannot work and provide the solutions to any problem.

Apart from that, corruption is another hindrance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Will Change Of Age Ruin My Certificates? / Police Arrest Fake NYSC Corp Member With Forged Certificate / Student Disappointed As Ambrose Alli University Lecturer Rejects His Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.