Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,249 members, 7,957,607 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:40 PM

Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? (17931 Views)

Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable / Why Are Nigerian Lecturers Wicked To Their Students? (Photo) / Nigerian Graduates With First Class From Nottingham Trent University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by snthesis(m): 8:24am On Jul 06, 2011
put the blame squarely on GOVERNMENT  and the keyword  is "enabling environment" angry angry

kudos should be given to Obasanjo for his ingenuity, his act on capacity building and local content development (in other words requiring the domestication of all engineering works with the aim of achieveing 70% local content by 2010) single-handedly revived the hopes of the aspiring Nigerian engineer and developed the Nigeria economy as a whole- ever wondered why the economy was so rosy under his regime. Unfortunately Yaradua didnt buy into the idea, however Gooodluck is actively following it up cheesy.
prior to this act, to design an ordinary "biro" had to be done in Houston grin

dady2011:

Unfortunately there is no proper regulation and licensing of engineering profession in Nigeria. The result is that anyone with an engineering degree call himself or herself an Engineer.  In North America, the title "Engineer" is a protected title. and unless you are licensed as a Professional Engineer, you can not call yourself an Engineer (though you may work in engineering).  it does not matter that you have an Engineering degree.

wrong tongue engineering in Nigeria is regulated by COREN, you can not attach the title Engr. as a prefix to your name if you hav'nt been certified.

@lastpage
you got a fan cheesy
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by Cupidkc(m): 9:37am On Jul 06, 2011
@Poster u dnt blame an average Naija engr. u shld talk abt d system 1st n d so cald 'african mentality',dt favours a white b4 a black. if u undastand ds,then u wl undastand y tns ar d way d ar.
isnt funny,bt dts d way it is in every niche,weda engr,medical,arts,anytn atall in Naija. and 2all my petroleum engrs in d haus;kp flying high, SPE, OIL & GAS.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by dustydee: 11:10am On Jul 06, 2011
look at the health sector, there are many Nigerian trained doctors and nurses in the US and Uk doing well while our hospital have been reduced to morgues. Does that mean our doctors are not good?
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by AjanleKoko: 12:33pm On Jul 06, 2011
@kodewrita, snthesis, lastpage, and other Nigerian engineers.
You guys have time sha, to be responding to an 'Agege Area boy'!
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 12:52pm On Jul 06, 2011

Since when? Ol boy you suppose give me your details make I come chop and quench at your expense.

Etisalat is a company owned by the UAE, using government funds as its source of investment. It is hardly an example of going to look for investors.

How many people build prototypes in garages these days? Those are romantic images from the 80's from Bill Gates and co. These days, majority of innovation occurs at expensive research facilities either owned by governments or wealthy corporations. To deny this would be equal to ignoring established technology and trying to reinvent the wheel.

Nigerian inventors have come up with a number of inventions in the past that haven't been backed up by investment. The constraints of the wider economy make innovation difficult and many gems are going unrecognised.

Useless Engineers - They cant even build a simple wind mill to power a kettle. I have always wondered what they teach them at uni.

Not only do they build wind mills, they've built a helicopter.
@ debosky. since 1st of april. like 3 months ago or something now. bros come chop now. my email na redshabazz@yahoo.com.au. shoot me email anytime. grin
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by ocelot2006(m): 1:09pm On Jul 06, 2011
@ OP, you are the one that's useless.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 1:34pm On Jul 06, 2011
I see yall coming down hard on a brother. grin all these sensitive engineers we have on NL. now i see why nigerian engineers cant do nothing but figure out how to balance onion on top of suya. yall so sensitive hence you dont wanna get your hands dirty. you rather wear shirt and tie than sweat under a greasy machinery. grin bourgeois engineers. if you wanna wear shirt and tie why not go in for business administration or secretarial studies ? grin
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 1:35pm On Jul 06, 2011
ocelot2006:

@ OP, you are the one that's useless.
dont lemme slap the fish and chips from ya mouth angry nonsense and ingredient
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by jaybee3(m): 1:41pm On Jul 06, 2011
buzugee:

I see yall coming down hard on a brother. grin all these sensitive engineers we have on NL. now i see why nigerian engineers cant do nothing but figure out how to balance onion on top of suya. yall so sensitive hence you dont wanna get your hands dirty. you rather wear shirt and tie than sweat under a greasy machinery. grin bourgeois engineers. if you wanna wear shirt and tie why not go in for business administration or secretarial studies ? grin
Yet another misconception from NL's resident whiner.
Design/management is for engineers as maintenance is for technicians.
gerrit?
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 1:45pm On Jul 06, 2011
jay bee:

gerrit?
not in the west it aint. engineers in the west get greasy, grimey and gutterish. and i aint no whiner neither cheesy
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 1:48pm On Jul 06, 2011
see this engineer getting grimey. in naija people will laugh at this guy for climbing poles http://www.coexasia.com/images/Engineer%20at%20work-sm.jpg
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by jaybee3(m): 1:52pm On Jul 06, 2011
buzugee:

not in the west it aint. engineers in the west get greasy, grimey and gutterish. and i aint no whiner neither cheesy
You know this because u r one?
Haba dis your ignorance sef don tip scale oh.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 1:53pm On Jul 06, 2011
jay bee:

gerrit?
another of your misconception debunked http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://catskillarchive.com/rrextra/engineer.jpg&imgrefurl=http://catskillarchive.com/rrextra/engineer.Html&usg=__LajFUPGWHVoFs8nyMG8fZb6Ndnk=&h=499&w=713&sz=73&hl=en&start=41&sig2=R8RQv3c6BtsckgBRkpmP-A&zoom=1&tbnid=8mfDpWSfFv5CoM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=140&ei=UFkUToG0DYeZ8QO8vIH8Bw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dengineer%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1C1CHFX_en-GBGB435GB435%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D677%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&biw=1024&bih=677
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by jaybee3(m): 1:54pm On Jul 06, 2011
buzugee:

see this engineer getting grimey. in naija people will laugh at this guy for climbing poles http://www.coexasia.com/images/Engineer%20at%20work-sm.jpg
This is laughable like really, wearing an overcoat makes someone an engineer? I can bet that dude is most certainly a telecoms technician
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 1:55pm On Jul 06, 2011
jay bee:

You know this because u r one?
Haba dis your ignorance sef don tip scale oh.
real engineers get greasy, grimey and raw with it. http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://cp.drillers.com/photos/Subsea%2520engineer%2520and%2520day%2520pusher%2520running%2520BOP%2520in.jpg&imgrefurl=http://cp.drillers.com/pages/view/photo-gallery/page:20&usg=__Icid990400pU994bXKILFvlcJ7s=&h=864&w=1152&sz=594&hl=en&start=89&sig2=Xx12GklRJV6zWEgfj6fjtg&zoom=1&tbnid=sP_2tzdrp43XrM:&tbnh=157&tbnw=199&ei=UFkUToG0DYeZ8QO8vIH8Bw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dengineer%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1C1CHFX_en-GBGB435GB435%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D677%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=541&vpy=232&dur=1215&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=91&ty=96&page=8&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:89&biw=1024&bih=677   you dont know what you talking about jaybee
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 1:55pm On Jul 06, 2011
jay bee:

This is laughable like really, wearing an overcoat makes someone an engineer? I can bet that dude is most certainly a telecoms technician
i take it you did not read the caption or header ? dude is an engineer
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by jaybee3(m): 1:56pm On Jul 06, 2011
buzugee:

real engineers get greasy, grimey and raw with it. http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://cp.drillers.com/photos/Subsea%2520engineer%2520and%2520day%2520pusher%2520running%2520BOP%2520in.jpg&imgrefurl=http://cp.drillers.com/pages/view/photo-gallery/page:20&usg=__Icid990400pU994bXKILFvlcJ7s=&h=864&w=1152&sz=594&hl=en&start=89&sig2=Xx12GklRJV6zWEgfj6fjtg&zoom=1&tbnid=sP_2tzdrp43XrM:&tbnh=157&tbnw=199&ei=UFkUToG0DYeZ8QO8vIH8Bw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dengineer%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1C1CHFX_en-GBGB435GB435%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D677%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=541&vpy=232&dur=1215&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=91&ty=96&page=8&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:89&biw=1024&bih=677   you dont know what you talking about jaybee
It's like u don't wanna get it.
An engineer would have designed the engine the dude in the picture is working on.
Engineers design
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by jaybee3(m): 1:57pm On Jul 06, 2011
buzugee:

i take it you did not read the caption or header ? dude is an engineer
Engineering Technician that is grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 1:59pm On Jul 06, 2011
jay bee:

Engineering Technician that is grin grin grin grin grin
there is a difference ? shocked grin
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 2:03pm On Jul 06, 2011
jay bee:

It's like u don't wanna get it.
An engineer would have designed the engine the dude in the picture is working on.
Engineers design
i get it. you seem to think the only people who can maintain stuff are technicians. who better to maintain stuff than the person who created them ? all those pictures i posted are from engineering websites. those are engineers not technicians.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by jaybee3(m): 2:03pm On Jul 06, 2011
buzugee:

there is a difference ?  shocked grin
Engineering technicians solve technical problems in research and development, manufacturing, sales, construction, inspection, and maintenance by using science, engineering and mathematical principles. They often assist engineers and scientists. The work of engineering technicians is more application oriented and more limited in scope than that of engineers.

http://careerplanning.about.com/od/occupations/p/engineer_tech.htm
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by AjanleKoko: 2:08pm On Jul 06, 2011
Another 'countryman analysis' from the Agege Area Boy undecided
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 2:10pm On Jul 06, 2011
jay bee:

Engineering technicians solve technical problems in research and development, manufacturing, sales, construction, inspection, and maintenance by using science, engineering and mathematical principles. They often assist engineers and scientists. The work of engineering technicians is more application oriented and more limited in scope than that of engineers.

http://careerplanning.about.com/od/occupations/p/engineer_tech.htm
sarcasm  wink
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 2:12pm On Jul 06, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Another 'countryman analysis' from the Agege Area Boy undecided
hehe just because i live in agege does not mean i cannot analyse my country grin the most enlightened people are the most oppressed. just because i sell gala for a living does not mean i am not an enlightened folk
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by jaybee3(m): 2:13pm On Jul 06, 2011
buzugee:

sarcasm  wink  
u too like wahala  tongue
see ur yeye mouf
how dare u rubbish a noble profession like that. angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by dady2011(m): 2:22pm On Jul 06, 2011
@snthesis (m)

According to the decree that set up COREN, they are suppose to regulate and control the training and practice of engineering in Nigeria, ensure and enforce the registration of all engineering personnel and consulting firms wishing to practice or engage in the practice of engineering in Nigeria.

Unfortunately COREN exist only as a toothless bulldog that does not live up to it's mandate. they register individual engineers who complete the application forms, have 4 years engineering work experience and pay the processing fee, then the individual have a stamp as a qualified engineer to use the title Engr.  

Unless you are working for the Government, registeration with COREN is at best optional, there is no enforcement of anything as far as I know. take a look at the Job openings for Engineers advertised by some major companies in Nigeria (i.e MTN, GLO, Chevron, Mobile, Shell, etc) and tell me where registration with COREN is a requirement to be employed as an Engineer. You do not need COREN registration to be employed and be addresses as an Engr in the Private sector.

I worked as an Engineer with my business card addressing me as Engr for over 10 years in Nigeria without registering with COREN, my employer did not care about COREN registration and this is true for thousands of engineers enployed in the private sector using the title "Engr"without COREN registration today.

Does COREN have a set of standard of engineering practice in Nigeria? do they ensure that anyone with engineering degree write and pass some prescribe examination before being licence? how many people have COREN prosecuted for using the title Engr without registration? do they vet applicant transcript and/or work experience and prescribe some confirmatory examination or interview applicant to ensure that they know what they claim in their application?, do they set some kind of professional engineering practice exams for applicant to sure they understand the standard of engineering practice in Nigeria (i,e engineering law, professional ethics and liability)?. so how is COREN regulating engineering practice in Nigeria, simply giving people stamp for working for 4 years in engineering and having an engineering degree does not make that individual a qualified Engineer.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 2:23pm On Jul 06, 2011
jay bee:

u too like wahala  tongue
see your yeye mouf
how dare u rubbish a noble profession like that. angry angry angry angry angry angry
lol to be honest with you engineering is a noble profession. of course i know there are many setbacks in naija etc etc. ok maybe the question is kinda harsh lol but this applies all across the board in nigeria. folks dont want to apply themselves. they sit all the blame with the govt. i would like to think that if i was an engineer, i would try to create something (from my mama basement), i would keep at it till i perfect it. then i would look for venture capitalists or even the govt to sponsor it. you know what i think the problem is ?
1, the wrong people go into engineering and for the wrong reasons. if you are not technical minded, you have no reason going into engineering. people wrongly go into it because they feel it is prestigious. see, they went into it for the wrong reasons while they are not mentally equipped to critical think their way out of the box that university learning constrains you to. thats the problem. the wrong people go into it for the wrong reasons. my personal opinion
2, naija man has a classist mindset which he feels precludes him from getting dirty. this is obviously a negative for the field of engineering
3, the avg naijaman is into instant gratification, this is also a negative as you have to be long suffering in a field like this.

so all in all, i guess the blame lies on the people and slightly with the govt
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by jaybee3(m): 2:31pm On Jul 06, 2011
Making more sense now ain’t we now?
People need enabling environment to blossom. No amount of will and determination will make one succeed in Naija. One needs everything to click and without an environment that supports innovation in science and technology then people are being born to fail sort of.

What the government ought to be doing is investing in research and development departments of institutions as well as technology ministry providing grants for people with ideas that can be further developed which in turn will serve the nation in great deal.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 2:36pm On Jul 06, 2011
jay bee:

Making more sense now ain’t we now?
People need enabling environment to blossom. No amount of will and determination will make one succeed in Naija. One needs everything to click and without an environment that supports innovation in science and technology then people are being born to fail sort of.

What the government ought to be doing is investing in research and development departments of institutions as well as technology ministry providing grants for people with ideas that can be further developed which in turn will serve the nation in great deal.

tru tru. but waiting on the govt is like hoping on hope. you will die with your ideas and skills. so the question you have to put to yourself is , wait on the govt or make things happen myself ? the choice is yours.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by garbigarba: 2:45pm On Jul 06, 2011
@poster what utter nonsense did u post.its @ tyms like dis i wish free speech wasnt allowed, where on earth do you expect an engineer to get money to finance the construction of a rig/refinery, if theres no government support or from private sector nothing can be done, its not a matter of poorly trained engineers.
btw am an engineer trained in nigeria and am taking this very personal, illiterate poster oshi
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by jaybee3(m): 2:54pm On Jul 06, 2011
buzugee:

tru tru. but waiting on the govt is like hoping on hope. you will die with your ideas and skills. so the question you have to put to yourself is , wait on the govt or make things happen myself ? the choice is yours.
It's like u r confusing me even more, most people with science background are able to design basic household items but designing and manufacturing them on a large scale will need intervention from Investors or broad support from the Government.

Nigerian investors are simply non existent when it comes to items that they can't see their profits within a short time frame hence the reason why most people flock to buying and selling.

Over here in the UK, we have Investors on the dragons den program always ready to invest in latest technologies. They not only provide cash but also provide the much needed expertise on marketing and supply chain management . This simple program on it's own does indirectly motivate young entrepreneurs to think outside of the box cos they know they had get willing backers if the products they are producing would be fit for purpose.

Nigeria is a jungle and most success stories from the country are people either in politics or those that are friends with the government.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by kodewrita(m): 3:42pm On Jul 06, 2011
**uncorks laser, drops rifle, shakes head at how close some1 came close to being smoked***

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

JAMB Change Of Course & Institution / Data Correction Procedure – 2018 / Police Arrest Fake NYSC Corp Member With Forged Certificate / Student Disappointed As Ambrose Alli University Lecturer Rejects His Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.