Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,445 members, 7,850,556 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 02:56 AM

Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. (34022 Views)

Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- / When Parents Storm School To Beat Their Child's Bully / 7 Things All Parents Should Know Before Enrolling A Child In Nigerian Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by Seankhalifa: 12:44pm On Apr 02, 2022
I enter school early.. 15 yrs.. I dey 100 level... but my brain na 25yrs old peson.. base on street
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by lilyheaven: 12:46pm On Apr 02, 2022
safarigirl:
Just one question

Who will stay with the kids while they are not in school?

Which parent will leave their job and have to stay at home with these kids?

OP, do you have a child?

You think parents rush their kids because they really want to?

Let me educate you on the realities of Nigerian parents, because I noticed you have a lot of opinions that are more idealistic than realistic

BOTH parents have to go to work

Labour Laws do not favour even a decent maternity leave. Do you know that women have to return to work 3 months after birth? They cannot even find someone to stay with babies, how much more older children?

If people could keep their kids with them longer, they would, but this your post reeks of ignorance and insensitivity.

You cannot train anyone's child for them. When you start having your own kids, try out this your method and see how successful it is.

Not realistic at all.
She’s writing theory.
When she’s done having kids, she will come back and re-write her post.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by jericco1(m): 12:48pm On Apr 02, 2022
I find everything you said to be faulty
Early childhood education is the best
As long as the child is up to 6 months old
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by safarigirl(f): 12:50pm On Apr 02, 2022
SmileDance:
and if she leaves the job to take care of her child and depend on her husband, they will still say she brings nothing to the table. Women don suffer o

Women don really suffer

So many women may be married, but they are actually single parents.

Na you born pikin, you will still have to make provisions for their care, you have to feed them, cloth them, bring emotional support, help them do assignment, bring money for DSTv,

In fact, if you check, the only money most men are bringing is for house rent. The rest, is evenly split between the father and mother, and sometimes, the mother has the lion share of the split. Yet, the father cannot even show up for interhouse sports.

Once it is time to abuse the child in the name of discipline, they will now show up as "the man of the house"

Anybody that says women have not suffered, has told a big lie.

10 Likes

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by Almunjid(m): 12:51pm On Apr 02, 2022
DJGiore:
thats your opinion, once the child brain is sharp rush, if the brain is dull some how take it easy...life no get formula...my own now if for ppl staying in abuja to visit my better mix blog for weekend gbedu visit naija dj mix .com
Lol. Life no get formula? The appropriate age for girls to marry is 18yrs and above. So, if ur child mature at 12yrs u will marry her off cos life has no formula abi?
The primary school age according to Educationists is 6yrs. Some children have sharp brain but lacks maturity. They may not be able to wholly understand and apply their knowledge until they're fully matured. So y rushing them?
Can u remember who u were, where u were and what happened to u when you're 2-3 years old? Since the Brain is not fully matured, the child will be under infantile amnesia, he or she will forget all what happened during that time in his/her life that's y it's not good to lay strong educational foundation during that age. And if u do, it will affect the child later in life.
At 4-5yrs we learned a lot of things (including Rhymes), we could still remember but we're unable to understand them till later in life, why?
Furthermore, some children may seem to be above average while they were young but turn out to be an average student later in life and vice versa. So don't be too in haste, learning at the appropriate time and age is the best.

Peace!

5 Likes

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by safarigirl(f): 12:53pm On Apr 02, 2022
lilyheaven:

Not realistic at all.
She’s writing theory.
When she’s done having kids, she will come back and re-write her post.

You can tell when someone has no experience and has not even bothered to do a proper research.

In fact, what she is writing is hypothesis, not even a theory. A theory would at least be supported by some level of research. If she had bothered to ask a few parents on her street about this topic, she would have had a more balanced take

3 Likes

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by adedayoa2(f): 12:53pm On Apr 02, 2022
My children's cousins relocated to the UK and I was surprised when they said their last child is yet to start school cuz she's not 5 yet. Here in Nigeria, our schools will even enroll a 1yr 3month old baby.

4 Likes

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by princeemmma(m): 12:54pm On Apr 02, 2022
abayormie00:
The main reason most students don't like school or anything that has to do with academics, is because, students seem not to have a pleasant experience of it from childhood, as a result of the behaviour of despite parents, who always try to force things into their child's head, even at pre developmental stage, when their brains hasn't yet developed to accommodate such school work.

However, it is crucial for parents to educate themselves on a proper age that is required and appropriate to enroll a child to school.

Finally, some parents should take it easy on children that seem not to respond to school work, because, the fact that a child doesn't seem to understand at infancy, won't make the child worse-off at latter stage of development, because, learning is a long life thing, and every learner should be given the opportunity to learn at their own pace.

By Abayomi.

What age do you feel we should enroll our children to school? I have a daughter she is about 1and half year, i was planning to enroll her next term, is it still too early?
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by damosade(m): 12:55pm On Apr 02, 2022
thatigboman1:
me, I don't know meaning of 6-3-3-4? Very funny. U are expected to enter 1 at 6, enter secondary at 12 and University at 18.
What's the difference between 6-3-3-4 and the 9-3-4 or so that they practice now?
@the bolded, my wife and househelps.
My children stayed at home till they were 3 and then entered nursery school (against my will), which they will finish at 5. And so must enter primary 1 at 6. Simple.

He is very correct. You don't know
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by lilyheaven: 12:55pm On Apr 02, 2022
thatigboman1:
how can u even enrol a 3 month child in day care? Is fire chasing the mum away from home?
How many months does private companies give moms Maternity leave? ( 3 months)
So , are You expecting the mom to resign or Send the baby to school?

Government should find a way and pay mothers with children 0-5 years. Let them stay home and take care of their kids.

2 Likes

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by TheGift: 12:56pm On Apr 02, 2022
safarigirl:

It is the system that enables all these things

You cannot have expectations of parents living in a system as damaging as what we see in Nigeria.

There is no proper maternity leave in Nigeria. In Germany, they give 12-month maternity leaves, in China, they are set to give same.

Labour laws and general laws favour some of these things. In Nigeria, such things are not even considered.

The problem here is the country, the people are just victims of a messed up system

If the system doesn’t work then take full responsibility for your child’s education and development. They don’t have to go to school because everyone else is going to school.

I know many kids that were fully or partially home schooled and they are doing very well as older teenagers and adults.

I went to enrol my son at a toddler community. They said they resume at 8. I told them that is about the time He wakes up, so I was thinking of Him coming at 10am, it’s just 2 buildings from my house. They say there are some learning activities they do together at 8. I told them my son getting His full sleep was more important to me, they should let me know what they are learning from 8-10am and I will find a way to get him to learn it. At least until I can reorganize His bed time to a much earlier time.

There are cheaper and less stressful ways around these things if we think outside the box.

3 Likes

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by Pusyiter(m): 12:57pm On Apr 02, 2022
Blackblackbeaut:
Enrolling a child in school early isn't the reason why students don't like education in this country, let's blame that on the situation of the country in general, in a country where majority of our graduates end up as an apprentice at a shop just because there's no job after school, how do you expect students to like school? They could see their elderly once who are through with school for several years yet without a job.
There the saying goes
School na Scam
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by Bluntemperor: 12:59pm On Apr 02, 2022
Chapii:
Person we go like book go like book. No be by early

You got the sense!
-OP, what statistics did you come up with this your assertion or just because we are in a Forum like this,you just used anything for traffic?
-Can you tell us which formative years is best for Pupils and Students,as we have countless Pupils and Students in Europe, USA,UK outperforming those who are over and above 20s'?
There are many negative factors that is making brilliant pupils and even best students not at their best in Nigeria but don't talk of delaying their future or tyeing them down under fllipancy.

1 Like

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by NoToPile: 1:00pm On Apr 02, 2022
Now generally the way to solve this since parents are working is a daycare, creche or a day home (whatever name it's called) just a system that has a homely and educational touch, where the kids are allowed to be kids.

Not too much of a school setting, more like a home setting but they learn too( this is also important) The children eat, sleep, play when they want to and they also do all these their coloring, scribbling, shapes etc learning. No pressure of writing or anything at all, if they fall asleep during one activity all is good.

Most times these type of creches/ homes are standalone and not attached to schools or at most they have only nursery 1 and 2. The child is playing and learning also having social interaction.

I have seen 1 year plus children going to proper schools and there's no time to nap, the students are always stressed and all that.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by Bluntemperor: 1:00pm On Apr 02, 2022
Chapii:
Person we go like book go like book. No be by early

You got the sense!
-OP, what statistics did you come up with this your assertion or just because we are in a Forum like this,you just used anything for traffic
-Can you tell us which formative years is best for Pupils and Students,as we have countless Pupils and Students in Europe, USA,UK outperforming those who are over and above 20s'?
There are many negative factors that is making brilliant pupils and even best students not at their best in Nigeria but don't talk of delaying their future or tyeing them down under fllipancy.
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by SarkinYarki: 1:02pm On Apr 02, 2022
In Germany kids start kindergarten at 5 years old while in Nigeria Kindergarten starts at 8 months

2 Likes

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by koyyess: 1:05pm On Apr 02, 2022
Seankhalifa:
I enter school early.. 15 yrs.. I dey 100 level... but my brain na 25yrs old peson.. base on street

That's how it's supposed to be.

Your age mates abroad are building their advanced projects sponsored by private individuals and the government ...op dey talk gibberish.
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by lilyheaven: 1:07pm On Apr 02, 2022
safarigirl:

Women don really suffer

So many women may be married, but they are actually single parents.

Na you born pikin, you will still have to make provisions for their care, you have to feed them, cloth them, bring emotional support, help them do assignment, bring money for DSTv,

In fact, if you check, the only money most men are bringing is for house rent. The rest, is evenly split between the father and mother, and sometimes, the mother has the lion share of the split. Yet, the father cannot even show up for interhouse sports.

Once it is time to abuse the child in the name of discipline, they will now show up as "the man of the house"

Anybody that says women have not suffered, has told a big lie.
Child bearing age, is supposed to be a time a mother will be at home taking care of her baby, while the father that signed to be a husband and father should work hard and provide financial support for his family.
But no, they will still except a woman to carry pregnancy and work, give birth, three months , you are expected to return to work, yet this woman is living with a husband.
Society generally doesn’t appreciate women, neither is our government doing anything to help motherhood. It’s painful.

6 Likes

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by lilyheaven: 1:12pm On Apr 02, 2022
jericco1:
I find everything you said to be faulty
Early childhood education is the best
As long as the child is up to 6 months old
Exactly!

My two year old son, has started reading 2 and three letter words.
His elder brother is 4 years old, he can read everything, I mean everything .
I’m proud of them.

When I was at their age, I was still running around at home.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by SmileDance(f): 1:13pm On Apr 02, 2022
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by SmileDance(f): 1:15pm On Apr 02, 2022
lilyheaven:

Child bearing age, is supposed to be a time a mother will be at home taking care of her baby, while the father that signed to be a husband and father should work hard and provide financial support for his family.
But no, they will still except a woman to carry pregnancy and work, give birth, three months , you are expected to return to work, yet this woman is living with a husband.
Society generally doesn’t appreciate women, neither is our government doing anything to help motherhood . It’s painful.
the woman is still living as a squatter in her husband's house, cos in this part of the world a married woman is just a squatter that can get kicked out or locked outside If she doesn't 'behave' . God Abeg

2 Likes

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by PrimadonnaO(f): 1:22pm On Apr 02, 2022
koyyess:
I think the wrong thing to do is to force them to go for courses they don't want to study which occurs when the child is older and in secondary school.

Other than that, if I eventually have kids, all must start early. At 15-16 years, they must already be in college/university...Yes!

If you are stuck in the sh1t hole, I advise you to do same cause HR bastards are not smiling with their age discrimination.

Yes, if you are a Nigerian human resource officer reading this, you are indeed a bastard!!

It would interest you to note that for most roles, it's not HR setting the benchmark for years of experience.

In a structured organization, when there's a hiring need, HR goes to the line manager. Let's say the Sales department needs to expand its team... HR goes to the Head of Sales/Sales Manager/Sales Director, and it's the Sales Head who decides the level of experience he wants whoever is hired to have.

The same for most other roles.

HR simply implements.

You people just don't understand these things. So at the end of the day... HR is the devil.

Target your darts at the system... or line managers, if need be.

1 Like

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by Fahdiga(m): 1:23pm On Apr 02, 2022
thatigboman1:
6-3-3-4 is already there naa.
A child should start primary 1 when they were 6 at their last birthday. And this issue of children jumping classes and skipping primary 6 should be discouraged.
That's how my nephew that started primary 1 at 5 yrs jumped primary 3 (the proprietor of the school did that), meanwhile the school didn't even have primary 6. that's how the kid entered secondary school at 9 or 10. And I keep asking my people "why the rush?"
I understand but when is it suitable for a child to start pre nursery and nursery?
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by PrimadonnaO(f): 1:28pm On Apr 02, 2022
thatigboman1:
how can u even enrol a 3 month child in day care? Is fire chasing the mum away from home?

She had to resume work, maybe.
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by musicwriter(m): 1:29pm On Apr 02, 2022
abayormie00:
The main reason most students don't like school or anything that has to do with academics, is because, students seem not to have a pleasant experience of it from childhood, as a result of the behaviour of despite parents, who always try to force things into their child's head, even at pre developmental stage, when their brains hasn't yet developed to accommodate such school work.

However, it is crucial for parents to educate themselves on a proper age that is required and appropriate to enroll a child to school.

Finally, some parents should take it easy on children that seem not to respond to school work, because, the fact that a child doesn't seem to understand at infancy, won't make the child worse-off at latter stage of development, because, learning is a long life thing, and every learner should be given the opportunity to learn at their own pace.

By Abayomi.

Thank you brother for this observation. But the problem isn't that children are enrolled early or not.

The problem is that we don't have a black concept of education since African cultures didn't evolve what we now call education.

Our cultures didn't evolve what a child should be doing at every stage in life based on African cultural and social need, instead what we have is what white people have decided those stages and needs to be. But we're a different stock, a different race of people!!

What we must do is discard what white people have presented to us as education and design ours based on our societal, cultural, psychological, spiritual, black consciousness, organic need.

This thing was given us by white people but WE'RE AFRICANS.

We have different cultural need.

We have different epistemological need.

We have different social need.

We have different languages.

We have a mind of our own!!

I've been researching education since I was a kid and I am so happy that people are waking up to it's inefficiencies.

If you don't want to listen to me, listen to brother Amos Wilson instead. I've checked everywhere and this man understand what the education does to us. See Dr. Amos Wilson lectures on education, culture, black consciousness.

Once we free ourselves from the language, education, and religion given us by white people and Arabs we'll become free and independent, indeed. Our brain chemistry will change, our perception will change and we'll re-dicover ourselves as Africans and we'll evolve. Only then can we talk about being like white people. But I tell you brothers and sisters that we'll even become better than them. Right now....we can't because we're in a spell they've cast on us. The spell is language, education, religion.
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by PrimadonnaO(f): 1:30pm On Apr 02, 2022
safarigirl:

Yes

The fire that is her office

If she did not resume 3 months after birth, she would have lost her job. She had to return to work.

Nobody will tell you this part about motherhood and child care, but if it is to ask women "What do you bring to the table?" It is easy.

Some people would say she should have forfeited the job, but this brings up the capability of her husband, because most men are unable to be sole providers for their families today

Safari kiss kiss kiss kiss

It's nauseating when people start dishing out ideals that do not suit a context.

If you have to talk about ideals, please also state ways in which they can be practicable in the given context!

1 Like

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by PrimadonnaO(f): 1:32pm On Apr 02, 2022
ayandee:
True. Children should learn at their pace. I once taught a class of 5year olds many years ago. One of the pupils would only eat and sleep. He doesnt know numbers and couldnt speak properly. His results were always so bad that we had to patch them up to please his parents who wete always the first to pay fees. After many years, that same child got a fully paid scholarship to study créative writing in the US at masters level. He has several published stories to his credit.

What's the insight from this story?
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by Gmajor(m): 1:39pm On Apr 02, 2022
shaggy007:
I agree with you.

A little bit of homeschooling, to increase the bond with the family before going out to school.

Another reason is that the immune system of these kids are not yet strong to fend of diseases.

So they need to be contained for a while before released into the world.

The immune system stuff you talked about is a bad argument
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by PrimadonnaO(f): 1:42pm On Apr 02, 2022
princeemmma:

What age do you feel we should enroll our children to school? I have a daughter she is about 1and half year, i was planning to enroll her next term, is it still too early?

Lol. What do you want her to do in the school exactly?

To babble, and stare askance at her environment?

1 Like

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by jericco1(m): 1:45pm On Apr 02, 2022
lilyheaven:

Exactly!

I’m proud of them.

That's what I'd want my children to when the time comes.

1 Like

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by PrimadonnaO(f): 1:50pm On Apr 02, 2022
lilyheaven:

Exactly!

I’m proud of them.

It's fantastic that your 2-year old has started reading 2, and 4-letter words, so long as nothing more important was sacrificed to achieve this.

However, would anything have gone wrong if he started reading those words at 3/4?

Sometimes, the things we are excited about have no inherent value in them.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Over 20 UNN Students Dead In Car Accident While Travelling / Esut Suspends 10 Students And Expels 4 For Examination Impersonation. / MTN Foundation Scholarship Scheme For Undergraduates 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.