Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,546 members, 7,843,706 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 10:07 AM

Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. (34016 Views)

Sylvester Oromoni: Why Parents Of Fleeing Dowen College Students Can Be Liable- / When Parents Storm School To Beat Their Child's Bully / 7 Things All Parents Should Know Before Enrolling A Child In Nigerian Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by NoToPile: 1:55pm On Apr 02, 2022
Gmajor:

The immune system stuff you talked about is a bad argument

Actually it's not, lots of us mothers can testify that during covid lockdown which the children didn't go to school for months, there were fewer cases of catarragh and cold,fever sef most infections in little children are gotten from school or creche.

And then it was even a topic on one group on FB., many testimonies from mothers, that lockdown confirmed to me that it's mostly from school children get these common infections, my son didn't even sneeze for those 6 months. I didn't even realize till I saw that discussion on FB
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by GboyegaD(m): 2:07pm On Apr 02, 2022
safarigirl:

Somebody enrolled her child in a daycare and the child died. It was all over the internet just two months ago

The child was 3 months old.

Guess who got blamed?

See ehn, it is very easy to criticise people when you are not in their shoes. When you guys start having kids, you will know that expectations are different from reality

Madam, please stop generalizing. Some of us are fathers already and we know reality.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by Orente21(f): 2:22pm On Apr 02, 2022
safarigirl:

Women don really suffer

So many women may be married, but they are actually single parents.

Na you born pikin, you will still have to make provisions for their care, you have to feed them, cloth them, bring emotional support, help them do assignment, bring money for DSTv,

In fact, if you check, the only money most men are bringing is for house rent. The rest, is evenly split between the father and mother, and sometimes, the mother has the lion share of the split. Yet, the father cannot even show up for interhouse sports.

Once it is time to abuse the child in the name of discipline, they will now show up as "the man of the house"

Anybody that says women have not suffered, has told a big lie.
You just described me.
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by BuddhaPalm(m): 2:24pm On Apr 02, 2022
Mykelslim:
I will teach them most of the things they need to know at home.

Like it or not, Naira Marley, Rihanna, etc are your co-parents.
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by bonnyhope: 2:41pm On Apr 02, 2022
Children should be allowed to reach atleast 3 years before enrolling them in school

1 Like

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by deavicky(m): 2:42pm On Apr 02, 2022
shaggy007:
I agree with you.

A little bit of homeschooling, to increase the bond with the family before going out to school.

Another reason is that the immune system of these kids are not yet strong to fend of diseases.

So they need to be contained for a while before released into the world.
we that started school at 5 years what more did we learn at home?. Let them go,. when they come back, they will learn what they can with the remaining time at home.

1 Like

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by lilyheaven: 2:45pm On Apr 02, 2022
PrimadonnaO:

It's fantastic that your 2-year old has started reading 2, and 4-letter words, so long as nothing more important was sacrificed to achieve this.

However, would anything have gone wrong if he started reading those words at 3/4?

Sometimes, the things we are excited about have no inherent value in them.

Thank you for your observation.
But there’s an inherent value.
My neighbour’s son (5 years) was asked to repeat nursery two because he couldn’t read,

His parents were depressed about that, because paying school fees and buying books in this era two times is not easy.
Nevertheless, they got home tutor for him, he is coping right now.
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by lilyheaven: 2:58pm On Apr 02, 2022
deavicky:
we that started school at 5 years what more did we learn at home?. Let them go,. when they come back, they will learn what they can with the remaining time at home.
We learnt how to cook with sand grin[s][/s].
This holiday is a complete one month holiday.
Enough time to bond with family.
Third term holiday is going to be a long one too.

1 Like

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by slowbreeze(f): 3:11pm On Apr 02, 2022
abayormie00:
The main reason most students don't like school or anything that has to do with academics, is because, students seem not to have a pleasant experience of it from childhood, as a result of the behaviour of despite parents, who always try to force things into their child's head, even at pre developmental stage, when their brains hasn't yet developed to accommodate such school work.

However, it is crucial for parents to educate themselves on a proper age that is required and appropriate to enroll a child to school.

Finally, some parents should take it easy on children that seem not to respond to school work, because, the fact that a child doesn't seem to understand at infancy, won't make the child worse-off at latter stage of development, because, learning is a long life thing, and every learner should be given the opportunity to learn at their own pace.

By Abayomi.

Ur obviously not or parent yet ,or better still a very ignorant one.Many parents would love to keep their children at home,but the harsh realities of the times we r in and our economy doesnt allow it.
We talk about women contributing their quota and providing for the family,the same women u are expecting to sit at home to take care of the kids,till they are "old enough" for school?How hypocritical can u guys be.How many men are willing to pay all the bills ,or even av the ability to,without support.Most homes need both income to stand.And maternity leave is maximum 3months ,then a woman is made to return to work,with a 3month old?
Or is it men that are hustling day and night,spending hours on the road or at the field, just to be able to provide for their families,.,Ur expecting to sit at home and take care of the kids..And the bills will be paid magically? Life is not black or white.There are some grey areas
However u want to do ur family,pls do,but dont take ur personal opinion/choices as a general rule .

2 Likes

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by NybenSBF101(m): 3:20pm On Apr 02, 2022
Thank you for this article, this is what Nairaland should be all about, information, education and re-education, not ethnic contest

2 Likes

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by safarigirl(f): 3:26pm On Apr 02, 2022
GboyegaD:

Madam, please stop generalizing. Some of us are fathers already and we know reality.

So, you know the reality, yet, you are advocating for unrealistic standards
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by koyyess: 3:29pm On Apr 02, 2022
PrimadonnaO:

It would interest you to note that for most roles, it's not HR setting the benchmark for years of experience.

In a structured organization, when there's a hiring need, HR goes to the line manager. Let's say the Sales department needs to expand its team... HR goes to the Head of Sales/Sales Manager/Sales Director, and it's the Sales Head who decides the level of experience he wants whoever is hired to have.

The same for most other roles.

HR simply implements.

You people just don't understand these things. So at the end of the day... HR is the devil.

Target your darts at the system... or line managers, if need be.

I am not disputing this.

My grievance towards the HR folks in Nigeria has nothing to do with what you are saying.

They are bastards.

1 Like

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by IamGreen1(f): 3:39pm On Apr 02, 2022
mariovito:
I agree.

I think those early formative years of kids should be spent under their parents who will be best to instill some life values in them.

I'm still waiting for the person that will forcefully enroll my 16 months old daughter to school since they have a thousand questions to ask me why she's yet to start schooling.
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by moneyissweet(m): 4:02pm On Apr 02, 2022
Nice post .

abayormie00:
The main reason most students don't like school or anything that has to do with academics, is because, students seem not to have a pleasant experience of it from childhood, as a result of the behaviour of despite parents, who always try to force things into their child's head, even at pre developmental stage, when their brains hasn't yet developed to accommodate such school work.

However, it is crucial for parents to educate themselves on a proper age that is required and appropriate to enroll a child to school.

Finally, some parents should take it easy on children that seem not to respond to school work, because, the fact that a child doesn't seem to understand at infancy, won't make the child worse-off at latter stage of development, because, learning is a long life thing, and every learner should be given the opportunity to learn at their own pace.

By Abayomi.

1 Like

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by President2001(m): 4:09pm On Apr 02, 2022
I think that's why there's kindergarten in Nursery schools
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by Bbbw: 4:16pm On Apr 02, 2022
True
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by princeemmma(m): 4:18pm On Apr 02, 2022
PrimadonnaO:

Lol. What do you want her to do in the school exactly?

To babble, and stare askance at her environment?

she is 1 and half she can count 1-10 easily even without going to school (it all her mum doing), she sing rhymes easily and always demand for pencil everytime at home. That's why i think i should enrol her
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by Nanaiky(f): 4:28pm On Apr 02, 2022
Why all this big grammar?

There is a difference between day care/crèche and actual school. As a working mom, I will take my young kids to Day care/crèche/(Nursery/kinder in Nigeria inclusive) before actual school starts at 5/6 which is similar to primary 1 in Nigeria or Kindergarten class in US. There are preschools (ages 3-5) in US. Infant and toddler class also exists. It depends on what your money can afford you.

2 Likes

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by WisdomHunter(m): 4:50pm On Apr 02, 2022
mariovito:
I agree.

I think those early formative years of kids should be spent under their parents who will be best to instill some life values in them.

I was shocked when i saw this Swiss woman that married to Anambra man that answers nwanyị ọcha on social media, she posted her son's first day in school and the boy was like 4-5yrs old I think last year or thereabout.

She explained that its a traditional or law in Switzerland to home train a child until they're up to 5yrs before they can put into a school

1 Like

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by Mykelslim: 5:38pm On Apr 02, 2022
BuddhaPalm:

Like it or not, Naira Marley, Rihanna, etc are your co-parents.

I learn and unlearn. They will do same.
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by Patnelly: 6:08pm On Apr 02, 2022
As good as your opinion sounds,it's not easy for parents to keep their children at home. Won't they work again? Besides, children like that dey Sabi book. Trust me. My son started school at 8month and him Sabi book pass him younger ones wey start @ 2years.
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by Gmajor(m): 6:19pm On Apr 02, 2022
NoToPile:

Actually it's not, lots of us mothers can testify that during covid lockdown which the children didn't go to school for months, there were fewer cases of catarragh and cold,fever sef most infections in little children are gotten from school or creche.

And then it was even a topic on one group on FB., many testimonies from mothers, that lockdown confirmed to me that it's mostly from school children get these common infections, my son didn't even sneeze for those 6 months. I didn't even realize till I saw that discussion on FB

In the short run, it's advantageous because school are a perfect place for spreading communicable diseases.
However, research has shown that exposing infants to germs may offer them greater protection from illnesses such as allergies and asthma later on in life.

For more info click the link below
https://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/kids-and-dirt-germs
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by edoairways: 7:00pm On Apr 02, 2022
abayormie00 do you have series of empirical research to support this or it is mere perception?
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by harmony75: 7:04pm On Apr 02, 2022
I don't like that idea 1year plus taken to school.. You as a parent should be your kids first teacher. At 3 1/2 years you should have taught them ABC, 123 to 50-100 A - Ant, B - baby etc and nursery rhymes but young parents now want to leave responsibility to teachers why!?

1 Like

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by lilzeel(m): 7:41pm On Apr 02, 2022
PrimadonnaO:

It's fantastic that your 2-year old has started reading 2, and 4-letter words, so long as nothing more important was sacrificed to achieve this.

However, would anything have gone wrong if he started reading those words at 3/4?

To you it has no inherent value but have you looked at it this way, that a child who is two can read two to four later words don't you think that at age four or five the child would have gearned more than just two to four later words?

I mean no offense but early education makes this kids develop pretty fast. Can you compare kids of the 90's with kids of today? The difference is early exposure and socialization. Some of us who weren't exposed early to education are still some what not very social because we didn't have the opportunity these kids have. One can still balance between early education and parenting with the right skill, if one can this right your kids will be exceptional with the help of God.

1 Like

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by thatigboman1: 8:32pm On Apr 02, 2022
damosade:

He is very correct. You don't know
sharap
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by thatigboman1: 8:48pm On Apr 02, 2022
SarkinYarki:
In Germany kids start kindergarten at 5 years old while in Nigeria Kindergarten starts at 8 months
tell safarigirl that please. my lawyer sister that is the advocate of rubbish Nigeria system.
Safarigirl, did u enter primary school those days u that u had to put your hand across your head and touch your ear? As crude as the method was, it was to make sure u were 6 before entering primary 1.
Talking of formal educational system in Nigeria, shey you know that the formal educational system in Nigeria starts at the primary education. So the 9-3-4 system u touted about is the start of primary education.
So all these creche, daycare, nursery school phenomenon are not known to law, they are informal arrangements.
I empathise with working mothers, but there are other things they can do. Pay for child minders, househelps or have their relatives around, at least the 1st 3 years of the child's growth. Many mums express breast milk and keep at home for the feeding of the child while they are away, which is same what creche and daycare people do,they just feed the children milk provided by the mums.
When u have children, I advice u to make sure they start primary 1 at 6 years.

1 Like

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by thatigboman1: 8:55pm On Apr 02, 2022
Fahdiga:
I understand but when is it suitable for a child to start pre nursery and nursery?
nursery and pre nursery are informal arrangements. But a child should enter nursery 1 at 3 yrs, graduate at 5 and enter primary 1 at 6.
Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by thatigboman1: 8:58pm On Apr 02, 2022
PrimadonnaO:

God bless you

1 Like

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by thatigboman1: 9:03pm On Apr 02, 2022
lilyheaven:

Thank you for your observation.
But there’s an inherent value.
My neighbour’s son (5 years) was asked to repeat nursery two because he couldn’t read,

His parents were depressed about that, because paying school fees and buying books in this era two times is not easy.
Nevertheless, they got home tutor for him, he is coping right now.

those your neighbours are stupid. They should either have taken the child to a different nursery school to while away time and then put the child at primary 1 when the child turns 6. That's the beginning of formal education. No school will reject a 6 year old child primary 1, as it has no prior knowledge requirement.

1 Like

Re: Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early. by thatigboman1: 9:05pm On Apr 02, 2022
safarigirl:

So, you know the reality, yet, you are advocating for unrealistic standards
what unrealistic standards did he advocate? So whoever doesn't agree with u is unrealistic be that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Federal Polytechnic Ado Ekiti 2012-2013 Admission Session, Lets Get It Going / ADVICE: I've Gotten 2 Admissions, Which One Should I Choose? / OAU First Class Graduate Given N1m, New Job At Alibaba’s New Year Concert

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.