Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,666 members, 7,816,731 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:00 PM

What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers (8193 Views)

America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? / Buhari's Comment In Hausa And The True Translation ( No Blood Mentioned ) / Is It Possible For Hausa People To Advance ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by Rhino5dm: 5:37am On Jul 07, 2011
kai rabu dan iska. Dan ubanshi wa ye ke taimakon yan arewa anan forum din in ba niba? Amma daga fadin ma'anan sambo sai ya kira ni KABILA?!? Kasan ma ye ma'anan kabila kuwa? . . .Look at that ediot calling me kabila?!? Sitting in the comfort of 'west' while his brothers are blowing up things with IED and chanting anti-westernization.

He should take the next flight out of USA in protest of the western education and civilasation to the stone-aged desert where he belongs. Nonsense!

I rest my case for now for your intervention.

Negro_Ntns:

Kabila irin ka, me kasani game da al'adan mu?

Rhino, ba zage a cikin rubuccin da Maple ya yi maka.

Ka yi hakuri ka daina zage zage, ban ga amfanin zage iyaye anan ba. Ka ji ko?

Maple, ka da ka lura da zagin, manta da Rhino kawai! Ka ji?
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by knotty(m): 5:48am On Jul 07, 2011
The OP and the first respondent are one and the same person.
HE is just a rabble rouser trying to cause confusion where there in none.

I go with MAPLE in all of these because names are important in Africa. Traditional names among the Hausas are never meant to be derogatory, they are celebratory.
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by Rhino5dm: 5:59am On Jul 07, 2011
^ your father is the rable rouser here not to know the difference between the OP and the first responder. I guess you smoked hashish as your dinner last night.
Brain-dead Moroon!
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by knotty(m): 5:04pm On Jul 07, 2011
Rhino== you have stayed far too long on the BOLA sniffing toxic fumes and this what we get as a result.
You need help as fast as possible before `you enter town`.
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by PhysicsQED(m): 1:59pm On Jul 19, 2011
@ Negro Ntns and Maple, thanks for the information. I was just very curious about that name as I hadn't heard a similar sounding Hausa name before.

@ knotty, I am not the same as Rhino.5dm, and I don't speak any Hausa. Please desist from these kind of nonsensical claims.
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by PhysicsQED(m): 2:03pm On Jul 19, 2011
Alright, I have new question for Yoruba and Igbo speakers.

What's the meaning/etymology of the name "Animalu" in Igbo?

What's the meaning/etymology of the name "Shittu" in Yoruba? Also, the name "Bimbo"?

Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks in advance.
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by tpia5: 2:05pm On Jul 19, 2011
bimbo is abimbola meaning wealth.

shittu may be of arabic origin.

whats the reason for the question, if you dont mind my asking.
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by PhysicsQED(m): 2:15pm On Jul 19, 2011
Thanks for the explanation.

The reason for asking is purely curiosity. When I come across Asian names that sound like curse words or funny phrases, I sometimes want to know what the name is really supposed to convey to those who understand that particular Asian language. Usually, I'm not able to find out online. The same thing applies here with some Nigerian names, but it never occurred to me to just ask until the issue of the VP's name came up.
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by ezeagu(m): 8:53pm On Jul 19, 2011
tpia@:

shittu may be of arabic origin.

Cute name.
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by DeSheikh(m): 11:32am On May 19, 2012
grin Mappla and Rhino!!!! u guys "have mouth!!" Don Allah ku bar wannan maganar ta wuce. Haba!! Menene amfanin girma idaan ba hankali ba? Kai Maple, gaskiya kai ka jawo fada. Bai kamata ka kira da KABILA ba. Musamman domin baka san wane iri ne shi ba. Amma kowa yayi hakuri. Kun san akwai yara kanana a wannan filin. kada su kwaikwayi wannan kuskuren. Allah Ya ba kowa hakuri.
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by nagoma(m): 11:51am On May 19, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
And don't you think you should have answer the OP's question inplace of all those examples you are typing?
To be candid can name your son sambo?

I may not but cannot name my son Bush either .

(1) (2) (Reply)

GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto / Itsekiri Urge FG To Deal With Militants And Their Sponsors / Just In: Kaduna Lawmakers Elect New Deputy Speaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.