Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,228 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:08 AM

What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? (9222 Views)

Onyebuchi Chukwu Decamps From PDP To APC / Lawani, Ode, Agada, Decamp To APC (photos) / Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu Resigns As Minister Of Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by henry101(m): 6:46am On Jul 14, 2011
Go find the meaning and check if it makes sense.
Ignorance is no excuse and the word is used carelessly on NL.
Please you all be cautious with the words you use.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Seanet1000: 6:55am On Jul 14, 2011
Goodluck Ebele Jonathan!
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by ssjalo(m): 7:31am On Jul 14, 2011
@seanet1000 Goodluck Ebele Jonathan!

pls if you don't know the meaning is better to be silence.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 14, 2011
lol!!

From what I heard, it means nothing but an insult ode (Yoruba for a dunce) chukwu (Chukwu comes with many igbo names I guess)

It's funny though and I expect people to just laugh at it, Yaradul, Yaraslow , I'm guessing Yoruba people's bad mouth at work lol, Yara dull means quick to be dull and yara slow means quick to be slow lol!!!!

Mehn it happens worldwide. People having insulting names for their presidents, Bush is actually the funniest I know of lol!!! Obomber, Barrack Osama etc,
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by stormm: 9:03am On Jul 14, 2011
@ Poster,

Ask Dayokanu. He will give you the detailed meaning. grin
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by blacklion(m): 9:18am On Jul 14, 2011
I guess then its in the same league as 'Igbochukwu' for OBJ and 'nyanwu-nyanwu' for Igbo people in general etc.

Yet some of our Yoruba brethren who take especial delight in stereotyping and mocking other ethnic groups (surprisingly?) prove to have very thin skins when their names/language/culture are at the receiving end

Na wa for naija pipul - dish out what you can't take grin
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by russellino: 9:21am On Jul 14, 2011
9jaganja:

lol!!

From what I heard, it means nothing but an insult ode (Yoruba for a dunce) chukwu (Chukwu comes with many igbo names I guess)

It's funny though and I expect people to just laugh at it, Yaradul, Yaraslow , I'm guessing Yoruba people's bad mouth at work lol, Yara dull means quick to be dull and yara slow means quick to be slow lol!!!!

Mehn it happens worldwide. People having insulting names for their presidents, Bush is actually the funniest I know of lol!!! Obomber, Barrack Osama etc,

For your information, Chukwu means God Almighty. We know what Ode means. Careful what you say
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Nobody: 9:25am On Jul 14, 2011
Is that not jonathan's middle name ?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by udezue(m): 9:29am On Jul 14, 2011
OdeChukwu means DUMB GOD.

Ignorant idiotss.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Nobody: 9:32am On Jul 14, 2011
udezue:

Ignorant idiotss.

lol!!! Like I care what chukwu means? it's funny so please chill HOLY ONE,

No one mean to say dumb god or whatever, odechukwu just sounds funny,
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by russellino: 9:34am On Jul 14, 2011
9jaganja:

lol!!! Like I care what chukwu means? it's funny so please chill HOLY ONE,

No one mean to say dumb god or whatever, odechukwu just sounds funny,

Haba
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by ektbear: 9:37am On Jul 14, 2011
Eh. Ode Mallam would refer to a dumb northerner, since mallam references a northerner when southern folk say it. Despite Mallam probably not meaning "northerner" in Hausa.

And Chukwu in this context refers to Igbo.

So it is a bit silly to think it means "dumb god." Chukwu might mean God in Igbo, but when Yoruba say it references Igbo (just like mallam references hausa.) Yoruba name for god is not chukwu.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by russellino: 10:00am On Jul 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

Eh. Ode Mallam would refer to a dumb northerner, since mallam references a northerner when southern folk say it. Despite Mallam probably not meaning "northerner" in Hausa.

And Chukwu in this context refers to Igbo.

So it is a bit silly to think it means "dumb god." Chukwu might mean God in Igbo, but when Yoruba say it references Igbo (just like mallam references hausa.) Yoruba name for god is not chukwu.

Mallam refers to a person, Chukwu refers to God. Imagine someone who doesnt putting understand Yoruba joining Ode and Oluwa to form a word or reference. Really nasty and ignorant stuff if you ask me.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Nobody: 10:06am On Jul 14, 2011
russellino:

Mallam refers to a person, Chukwu refers to God. Imagine someone who doesnt putting understand Yoruba joining Ode and Oluwa to form a word or reference. Really nasty and ignorant stuff if you ask me.

Odeoluwa will be funny as hell too dude!!

Olumumu or Adeyeye will be sick names to insult some1 with lol!!!
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by russellino: 10:07am On Jul 14, 2011
9jaganja:

Odeoluwa will be funny as hell too dude!!

Olumumu or Adeyeye will be sick names to insult some1 with lol!!!

Yeepa ! i cant read anymore. Outta here!!!!
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by ektbear: 10:15am On Jul 14, 2011
russellino:

Chukwu refers to god in Igbo, but not in Yoruba. Olorun, Oluwa, etc are what you will call God in Yoruba.

"Ode Chukwu" is a Yoruba slang/expression. So in that particular context, chukwu does not mean "god" (as it does in Igbo), but to an Igbo person.

It is only nasty and ignorant if you (A) don't recognize that chukwu doesn't have any religious meaning in Yoruba (B) or do not recognize that it is purely a Yoruba slang.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by russellino: 10:47am On Jul 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

Chukwu refers to god in Igbo, but not in Yoruba. Olorun, Oluwa, etc are what you will call God in Yoruba.

"Ode Chukwu" is a Yoruba slang/expression. So in that particular context, chukwu does not mean "god" (as it does in Igbo), but to an Igbo person.

It is only nasty and ignorant if you (A) don't recognize that chukwu doesn't have any religious meaning in Yoruba (B) or do not recognize that it is purely a Yoruba slang.

I think we are saying the same thing. My question is wouldnt you find it ignorant and nasty if someone said ''wawa'' (foolish person in hausa) and joined it to oluwa to form a slang?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by ektbear: 10:52am On Jul 14, 2011
russellino:

I think we are saying the same thing. My question is wouldnt you find it ignorant and nasty if someone said ''wawa'' (foolish person in hausa) and joined it to oluwa to form a slang?

If he is using "Oluwa" to reference God, then in the worst case he is bringing down a curse on himself, not me. So why would I care? If "oluwa" in his slang is a reference to Yoruba people because many Yoruba have the word "oluwa" in their names, then in that case it is a fairly innocuous jibe against Yoruba people. And in that case I also don't care.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by russellino: 10:54am On Jul 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

If he is using "Oluwa" to reference God, then in the worst case[b] he is bringing down a curse on himself[/b], not me. So why would I care? If "oluwa" in his slang is a reference to Yoruba people because many Yoruba have the word "oluwa" in their names, then in that case it is a fairly innocuous jibe against Yoruba people. And in that case I also don't care.

I'm glad you got the point
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 14, 2011
Okay maybe odechuku is better just like Ojuku .
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by mithel(m): 11:16am On Jul 14, 2011
And oluwa doesnt mean God too,it could mean lord too,(lyk in d court).

Dats d beauty of yoruba language
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by russellino: 11:29am On Jul 14, 2011
mithel:

And oluwa doesnt mean God too,it could mean lord too,(lyk in d court).

Dats d beauty of yoruba language

Tell me something. Thats new to me. What about Olorun?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Rhino5dm: 11:42am On Jul 14, 2011
Does the OP asking the meaning of Odechukwu in IGBO or how it has been used here on NL? Cos ode is YORUBA word and should NOT be use to form any sentence in IGBO imo.
That said. But ODECHUKWU RETARDEEN ADEMUMU aka THE DRUNKEN FISHERMAN is no other person than GOODLUCK EBELELI JONATHAN the first Nigerian president with lowest IQ who made ABACHA to look like Albert Einsten. lol.

If you have any problem with the above, then please let me read your suicide note this night. .
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by russellino: 11:51am On Jul 14, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Does the OP asking the meaning of Odechukwu in IGBO or how it has been used here on NL? Cos ode is YORUBA word and should NOT be use to form any sentence in IGBO imo.
That said. But ODECHUKWU RETARDEEN ADEMUMU aka THE DRUNKEN FISHERMAN is no other person than GOODLUCK EBELELI JONATHAN the first Nigerian president with lowest IQ who made ABACHA to look like Albert Einsten. lol.

If you have any problem with the above, then please let me read your suicide note this night. .

lol at the bolded
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by apoti(m): 1:12pm On Jul 14, 2011
udezue:

So former Nigerian coach Christian Chukwu means Christian God
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by KnowAll(m): 1:19pm On Jul 14, 2011
it is a blasphemous word. so people be careful who you are making fun off. You Might be sinning against the almighty God. Anyone that sin's against the holy spirit would not be forgiven
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by aljharem3: 1:20pm On Jul 14, 2011
@op

i think it is a terrible slogan that should be stopped

but then again as ekt-bear said it is a yoruba word

just like nwoke in yoruba means something

while in igbo means man-lover man/something like that

but all in all it should be stopped and there person should be banned

it is destroying our nigerian culture
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Obiagu1(m): 1:21pm On Jul 14, 2011
Second commandment warns: Thou shall not use the name of the lord in vain.

It's only a f.o.o.l that will keep saying Odechukwu (Dumb God) without finding a replacement for it if they must use the word "ode".
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by ektbear: 1:28pm On Jul 14, 2011
Again, chukwu doesn't mean "god" in Yoruba. That the Igbo man calls his god chukwu is fine and dandy, but also irrelevant.

Chukwu refers to igbo people in this context.

So there is nothing blasphemous about saying ode chukwu, unless you are an Igbo speaker or something
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Obiagu1(m): 1:32pm On Jul 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

Again, chukwu doesn't mean "god" in Yoruba. That the Igbo man calls his god chukwu is fine and dandy, but also irrelevant.

Chukwu refers to igbo people in this context.

So there is nothing blasphemous about saying ode chukwu, unless you are an Igbo speaker or something

Don't claim ignorant, you dunce!

Chukwu has just one meaning in this world and that is "the Almighty God".

If you like claim "God" means nothing in Yoruba language and that "God" refers to the English people so "OdeGod" should be fine.

When people are laying foundation for disaster in lives sometimes they don't realise it.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by ektbear: 1:35pm On Jul 14, 2011
Nobody is under any obligation to use the same words that you do, or give the same meaning to them. That chukwu means god in Igbo doesn't mean it will mean the same thing when others say it.

If you have a problem with this, go find a bridge to jump off of.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jul 14, 2011
Igbo in yoruba means marijuana. . .so you can never tell if chuku has another meaning somewhere !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

4 Die In Ologbo River Whilst Transporting Election Materials / Ijaw-Graduates Give Chevron A 7-day Ultimatum On Employment / "Nigerians Are Eager To Read President GEJ Thesis And Publications." —Dr. Hassan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.