Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,540 members, 7,812,678 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:25 PM

Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? (5075 Views)

Enugu Port-Harcourt Rail System Takes Off / Officials Test Completed Abuja Metro Rail System / Lagos Light Rail System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by 190: 11:36pm On Jul 15, 2011
M M M:

Dey need underground swim pool. angry
grin grin grin
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by Nobody: 12:30am On Jul 16, 2011
Nobody asked for underground rail system. The OP is just trying to get attention that he is already receiving by the support of the moderators who kept this in front-page.
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by YoruIgbo(m): 12:33am On Jul 16, 2011
erico2k2:

guy think right,you made mention of london underground, do you have any idea howmany people work for London underground?could you immagine howmany people would be employed if this turns into reality? and it will definatly generate mor income for the state,But we cant be comparing any underground with that of London,it began there lol

if fashola wants to create jobs, he should look for project that he can execute! not elephant project. The whole nigerian government can't even complete common Ajaokuta steel company, ALSCON or Delta Steel and you are talking of underground by a state  grin, let Fashole build roads first or has he completed all the roads in lagos?

I trust Nigerian Govt, on paper it will cost Fashola 100 times more to build underground of the same lenght of a London underground as the whole idea is elephant project will allow elephant stealing  grin My people say any man wey use elephant set trap must catch dinosaurs so while build drainage and make small dough when you can build underground and make mega dough!! but it's better to build and steal than to steal and don't build like 'Thief' Ikedi Ohakim
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by Realpsalms(m): 2:29am On Jul 16, 2011
with the stability of lagos state income ,also putting every modalities in place,what lagos state will achieve ,federal government will not achieve it because you can only plan when you have stabilized your economy at that level ,it is no more can she do it,but how many days can she will use to finish it,so l believe that fashola can build anything he wants to build in lagos because there is more stability in lagos state economy ,other side effects like natural disasters can be averted because the modalities is already in place
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by erico2k2(m): 9:34am On Jul 16, 2011
@Realpsalms
Now thats very aspiring lol but I recon you should read what Yoru_Igbo wrote up there, he is right,hope you aint sucked up to this whole Idea of Lagos building underground railway system lol cos its just white elephant project,can never and will never happen its all fantancy the Op wants attention so we are just having a laugh up here lol dont take us serious,go and check even the US dont have Underground systems like the UK I think they only have a few and they only have one high speed train track but this year they are planning on building more.The underground system was originally built not for public transport but for coal and arms transport then they saw the capability of transporting people.
I was just laughing at them guys who say cos lagos is bellow sealevel it cant be done lol cos it could, if you know what the channell tunnel is then you would erase what you tped there.the channel tunnel is an underground fast rail system which connects the Uk to mainland europe ie Uk to france operated by the Eurostar,now every ship coming from italy turke france have to go above this tunnel, now that tels you how deep underground bellow the seabed this goes.So guys, water log areas or sea level got nothing to do with underground trains,if not we wont have the tunnel running from woolwich to ducklands.
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by benzion72(m): 9:57am On Jul 16, 2011
Flood has no bearing with under ground train. If there are under Sea Rail from London to Paris i see no reason why Lagos should not construct under ground rail line. It will go a long way to ease the mad trafiic on lagos road
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by chitech(m): 4:14pm On Jul 16, 2011
follow nairalanders,lagos will experience the worst state of mess this year,
check out the mad traffic all around lag,
the drainage system is all blocked up,
small generators every where,
a state that lack security is planning an underground rail way system,if i go ask who is ready for dat risk,dem never fit use the normal ones na to use wetin dem no fit maintain not to talk of to use am,let us help ourselves n start digging up the gutters n packing dem also.we need to start working our environment,so dat brf no go faint one day becos of lagosians,we can all see dat the man now has grey hairs now,may before him tenure bgo expires him fit dey use walking stick
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by chitech(m): 4:46pm On Jul 16, 2011
work has began start urs forget brf program n helped urself b4 water go carry ur house to ogun state grin grin grin grin
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by Kobojunkie: 5:16pm On Jul 16, 2011
NY is about 5 meters above sea level, just like Lagos and it does well with it's own underground rail system. Japan is at/below sea level, depending on the season, and it's rail system survives the ups and downs. Again, Lagos has no problems compared to the above. It only needs to focus on aggressively tackling the basic problems which include installing an effective drainage system.
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by monblaze(f): 7:59pm On Jul 16, 2011
Underground ke? when den never do Overground JOrOH!!!
Naija is still not ready for all that kinda technology
you have to set the climate for these kinda things first
people still dont trust nigerian made products
the roads are still not safe in teerms of structure n security
drainage is still bad
they havent removed or revamped the presently availaible railway sytems
planes gan-an are still scary
Underground ke? before i go enter am ehn, smh
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by donguutti: 8:33pm On Jul 16, 2011
erico2k2:

@Realpsalms
Now thats very aspiring  lol  but I recon you should read what Yoru_Igbo wrote up there, he is right,hope you aint sucked up to this whole Idea of Lagos building underground railway system  lol cos its just white elephant project,can never and will never happen its all fantancy the Op wants attention so we are just having a laugh up here  lol dont take us serious,go and check even the US dont have Underground systems like the UK I think they only have a few  and they only have one high speed train track but this year they are planning on building more.The underground system was originally built not for public transport but for coal  and arms transport  then they saw the capability of transporting people.
I was just laughing at them guys who say cos lagos is bellow sealevel it cant be done  lol cos it could, if you know what the channell tunnel is then you would erase what you tped there.the channel tunnel is an underground fast rail system which connects the Uk to mainland europe ie Uk to france operated by the Eurostar,now every ship coming from italy turke france have to go above this tunnel, now that tels you how deep underground bellow the seabed this goes.So guys, water log areas or sea level got nothing to do with underground trains,if not we wont have the tunnel running from woolwich to ducklands.

maybe your stay in the UK has affected your reasoning , we are  here talking abt what to do abt the problem at hand, not if its technologically possible,          people lost their lives , properties and  are in DANGER if water borne epidemic and u busy giving us eurostar, woolwich to  ducklands,***u learn to crawl b4 u run***
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by Mariory(m): 12:05pm On Jul 17, 2011
What are you all arguing about?

Lagos State has not proposed an underground transport system of any kind. The people of Lagos State have not demanded an underground rail system.

What are you all arguing about?
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by Kobojunkie: 12:42pm On Jul 17, 2011
donguutti:

maybe your stay in the UK has affected your reasoning , we are  here talking abt what to do abt the problem at hand, not if its technologically possible,          people lost their lives , properties and  are in DANGER if water borne epidemic and u busy giving us eurostar, woolwich to  ducklands,***u learn to crawl b4 u run***

lol . . . We all need to dream that someday we will actually get past tackling just the BASICS over and over, and actually MOVE UP to tackling more meaningful issues (after taking care of the basics).
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by Reference(m): 12:50pm On Jul 17, 2011
This is exactly what Lagos needs right now. For those proposing a light rail system except if it is going to have minimal penetration the question you'd like to ask, just where is it going to pass in that congested city without sacrificing roads, public and private building and enmeshing the sate in endless debilitating legal tussles with individuals and the Federal Government. Subways are called just that because they enable minimal surface disturbance during planning and construction.

For those looking at the floods as an obstacle I would tell you quite authoritatively that subsurface systems in three countries were constructed with flood alleviation a primary consideration and a further two were built initially as subsurface water channelization but later modified to bear trains. Yes, and they are all working today in the west and in Asia. As a matter of fact the government could focus all its developmental planning for the 'Mega City' supply and transport efforts into this one system.

One single tube could carry communication, power lines and garbage (on conveyors) on the upper deck, the middle deck for two rail lines and the lower deck split into three sealed tubes operating under pressure - one incoming fresh water supply line, and two outgoing lines for storm water drainage and sewage respectively. With this you can split the city into sectors starting with areas of highest pressures and set a hundred year project completion period. With this parts of the transport, environmental, power and water departments can be merged to save costs lost currently to duplication of efforts at certain levels.

On the Atlantic end there is a very easy and cost free way of getting the water up (because the ocean surface will be much higher) and into the sea and keep the entire system from flooding. Can't mention that here. That is third generation technology.

Lagos state MUST transit from gutters. No modern city with these types of challenges - Population and environmental persists in these wasteful acts. Yes these gutters are wasteful. They just don't work. If you built them in NewYork or London they will be filled with garbage and become heavily silted attitudes or not. The Abuja master plan provides for underground storm water drainage so does the new Portharcourt master plan and these have all been working despite the filthy nature of Nigerians. Lagos should follow suit. Invest properly once and for all. The costs of constant clearing and de-silting makes nonsense of the pennies spent on 3 x 3 feet drains prevalent there. With an integrated subsurface supply and service network floods, power supply, water supply and flood control can be handled in one fell swoop.

And my will it create jobs. In building it, foreign technical supervision (only) yes, measured application of machines (yes) and plenty of heavy lifting (yes) to give those area boys a taste of real work.
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by donguutti: 1:05pm On Jul 17, 2011
@ kobojunkie, 'We all need to [b]DREAM[/b]that someday we will actually get past tackling just the BASICS over and over, and actually MOVE UP to tackling more meaningful issues (after taking care of the basics').
[size=13pt]nice  talk, we need to take care of the first things first, then we start dreaming and moving up. but would u even sleep talk less of dreaming if your bed dey float on top water[/size] grin grin
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by Kobojunkie: 1:13pm On Jul 17, 2011
donguutti:

nice  talk, we need to take care of the first things first, then we start dreaming and moving up. but would u even sleep talk less of dreaming if your bed dey float on top water grin grin

At the rate we are going, we are likely to continue going in circles with this (extremely bad roads, lack of water, lack of proper drainage/sewer systems, lack of proper education, lack of adequate healthcare etc) for many decades to come. If after 12 years of democracy -- 12 years of the same party running power, we are still making excuses for why we need to continue going in the same circle, then it is possible we are going to be in this for longer than we need to be.

Taking care of the first things is not rocket science . . . there are 100's of solutions(tried and tested) to copy from. What is holding us from applying a solution already and moving on to other things? Na water generation we dey talk of? Solution boku ! Na drainage? Solution Boku! wetin?

Please note that every year we spend not aggressively tackling one basic issue or another is another year of waste -- billions of naira flushed down the drain due to this lack and this means less money to try the next year for a fix of the same problem.
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by donguutti: 2:21pm On Jul 17, 2011
@ kobojunkie, i like it when i see ladies getting so emotional abt fixing Nigeria's problems , i just wonder why they dont do well politically, men have run the show for 51 years, and we are still going in circles, time for change . ***i admire ur courage and reasoning
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by Kobojunkie: 2:48pm On Jul 17, 2011
donguutti:

@ kobojunkie, i like it when i see ladies getting so emotional abt fixing Nigeria's problems , i just wonder why they dont do well politically, men have run the show for 51 years, and we are still going in circles, time for change . ***i admire your courage and reasoning

The above is a very irritating and sexist response. What has sex or emotion to do with anything? And what in the world has your perception of my sex and emotional attitude to do with this? Am I less of a Nigerian than you because you perceive I may be of the opposite sex? What has # of females in politics to do with success or failure? Are there not other countries where one sex dominates but things still go well?
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by erico2k2(m): 6:40pm On Jul 17, 2011
donguutti:

MayB the situation in Nigeria had max effect on ur rate of comprehension, can you re-read what I wrote up there B4 making sliming comments,pay particular attention to the bit where I said it was a white elephant project plz,
You see the problem with us Nigerians is we dont belive in ourselves, all we need is a system that works,over here in the Uk Nigerians do loads and it all works out cos we find ourselves in a system that works.
You are a typical example of a system that dont work cos you failed to read the whole wordings of my comment B4 you did what you know how to do bes.I will advice you to read again properly next time b4 you jump on peoples throat and expose your ignorance
btw, you aint added your solutiion to the problem. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by erico2k2(m): 6:54pm On Jul 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

The above is a very irritating and sexist response. What has sex or emotion to do with anything? And what in the world has your perception of my sex and emotional attitude to do with this? Am I less of a Nigerian than you because you perceive I may be of the opposite sex? What has # of females in politics to do with success or failure? Are there not other countries where one sex dominates but things still go well?
That just tells you his mind set. and here is a person who wanna engage in a reasonable argument as to what is right or good for a people.
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by donguutti: 7:33pm On Jul 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

The above is a very irritating and sexist response. What has sex or emotion to do with anything?  And what in the world has your perception of my sex and emotional attitude to do with this? Am I less of a Nigerian than you because you perceive I may be of the opposite sex? What has # of females in politics to do with success or failure? Are there not other countries where one sex dominates but things still go well?
maybe i overestimated somethings, i watched okonjo-iweala and other female ministeral nominees talk abt what dey want to do for NAIJA, i was moved their sincerity and sense of purpose.  i see u have an inferiority complex and re relate anything u see to sexism.please reread the post without ur feminist glasses on.

on the women in politics area, tell me which country has a successful country that has the same percentage of women in government as ur dear country,even china has a female deputy pm.if you take it as degrading and sexist,,,,i apologize, no vex, ejo, ndo, yan kuri

you aint added your solution to the problem.

@eric2k whatever makes u sleep better.maybe u should read ur first 2 posts  before further comments****how i can i add a solution to a problem we don't have ****angry sad shocked
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by erico2k2(m): 7:50pm On Jul 17, 2011
donguutti:

maybe i overestimated somethings, i watched okonjo-iweala and other female ministeral nominees talk abt what dey want to do for NAIJA, i was moved their sincerity and sense of purpose.  i see u have an inferiority complex and re relate anything u see to sexism.please reread the post without your feminist glasses on.

on the women in politics area, tell me which country has a successful country that has the same percentage of women in government as your dear country,even china has a female deputy pm.if you take it as degrading and sexist,,,,i apologize, no vex, ejo, ndo, yan kuri

you aint added your solution to the problem.

@eric2k whatever makes u sleep better.maybe u should read your first 2 posts  before further comments****how i can i add a solution to a problem we don't have ****angry sad shocked
No You should have read the last bit the one you pasted on here b4 you jump into that conclusion, I said the op was jst aving a laugh and it could never happen full stop. and may I advice you to stop backing up the wrong tree with tgat sexism argument, you wont win,in thie generation Men and Women are equal lol
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by Kobojunkie: 7:55pm On Jul 17, 2011
donguutti:

maybe i overestimated somethings, i watched okonjo-iweala and other female ministeral nominees talk abt what dey want to do for NAIJA, i was moved their sincerity and sense of purpose.  i see u have an inferiority complex and re relate anything u see to sexism.please reread the post without your feminist glasses on.

Wait a minute . . . you are the one who decided to take the SEXIST angle by introducing gender into a conversation and issue that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the gender of those we have in government, and you think I am the one with the inferiority complex? I am the one with the sexist goggles?? ROFL  . . .Nigerians ehn!!!
donguutti:

on the women in politics area, tell me which country has a successful country that has the same percentage of women in government as your dear country,even china has a female deputy pm.if you take it as degrading and sexist,,,,i apologize, no vex, ejo, ndo, yan kuri

You sit to watch people discuss issues,but you come away announcing their GENDER and not once did you point out any actual point made by any of them and you think I am the one with the inferiority complex?? LOL

Only of recent have we had more women venturing into the area of politics, even in the developed world. So, that you admire Iwela and all those you claim you watched DOES NOT MEAN we should all share your passion for things in skirts and should want to be like them so as to appease your senses. This is politics . . . it is NOT ONLY restricted to those in public offices . . . last I checked DEMOCRACY MEANS THE PEOPLE, NOT THOSE IN OFFICE, GET to debate and make the decisions.

Look equality means LOOKING BEYOND THE BODY PARTS TO VIEW ALL AS EQUALS . . .  what you are doing is simply SEXIST . . . open the dictionary to learn  of it. I know to the typical african man, this is hard to grasp but before you go around claiming inferiority complex is reason why your sexist opinions are not accepted, I suggest you visit a dictionary site and possibly get some education on what it means for a being, anyone, to be considered an equal.
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by donguutti: 8:09pm On Jul 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Wait a minute . . . you are the one who decided to take the SEXIST angle by introducing gender into a conversation and issue that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the gender of those we have in government, and you think I am the one with the inferiority complex? I am the one with the sexist goggles?? ROFL  . . .Nigerians ehn!!!
You sit to watch people discuss issues,but you come away announcing their GENDER and not once did you point out any actual point made by any of them and you think I am the one with the inferiority complex?? LOL

Only of recent have we had more women venturing into the area of politics, even in the developed world. So, that you admire Iwela and all those you claim you watched DOES NOT MEAN we should all share your passion for things in skirts and should want to be like them so as to appease your senses. This is politics . . . it is NOT ONLY restricted to those in public offices . . . last I checked DEMOCRACY MEANS THE PEOPLE, NOT THOSE IN OFFICE, GET to debate and make the decisions.

Look equality means LOOKING BEYOND THE BODY PARTS TO VIEW ALL AS EQUALS . . .  what you are doing is simply SEXIST . . . open the dictionary to learn  of it. I know to the typical african man, this is hard to grasp but before you go around claiming inferiority complex is reason why your sexist opinions are not accepted, I suggest you visit a dictionary site and possibly get some education on what it means for a being, anyone, to be considered an equal.

em em u forgot the apology part, u still angry, just wanted to push ur bottons***don't misinterpret*** , again i apologize, no vex, ejo, ndo, yan kuri
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by Kobojunkie: 8:51pm On Jul 17, 2011
donguutti:

em em u forgot the apology part, u still angry, just wanted to push your bottons***don't misinterpret*** , again i apologize, no vex, ejo, ndo, yan kuri

I am not angry, and your apology should not really be to me but to the women whom you claimed you watched on TV - The politicians who you seem to think are FEMALE FIRST.

Look, this is POLITICS, and in the eyes of the gods of politics, all HUMANS ARE EQUAL. So, please leave the trash talk on gender where it belongs, in the trash . . . and focus on the subject.
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by nateevs(m): 8:59pm On Jul 17, 2011
This is one major crap thread. The topic is uninformed, uninspiring, unintelligent and totally irrelevant. Why does this even have people arguing?
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by erico2k2(m): 9:15pm On Jul 17, 2011
nateevs:

This is one major crap thread. The topic is uninformed, uninspiring, unintelligent and totally irrelevant. Why does this even have people arguing?

Exactly angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? by beespak7(m): 10:38pm On Jul 19, 2011
I guess op meant to ask do lagosians want under ground canal drainage systems ? Thats what lagos needs d most now, chai do they know how much it cost to dredge, build, and maintain 1 Kilometer of underground rail system? Lets learn to crawl b4 we walk or run.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anambra Governorship Town Hall Conversation Live On Channels TV / Governor Amaechi Walks The Streets Of Port Harcourt Unguarded- Photo / Breaking!!! Ipob Finally Meets With President Trump (live!) Watch Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.