Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,451 members, 7,846,885 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 05:59 AM

Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) (4561 Views)

Advice Needed On 2005 Toyota Sienna / ADVICE NEEDED: Reviews On 2007 Toyota Corrolla TOKS/NAIJA / Maintenance On 2005 Pontiac Vibe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by Gravatar: 6:31am On Jun 18, 2022
Maaziigbo7:
Please how can I run a VIN?

Reach out to this person;

https://www.nairaland.com/carguideng
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by bonnyhope: 7:03pm On Jun 18, 2022
fineboynl:
grin Nigeria used car.

Whatever you do just expect the unseen, know that 85% of Nigeria used cars has problem especially if it has been used by many Nigerians. If you are buying from the first owner you might be lucky .

Especially the ones that have been used for uber/bolt

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by bonnyhope: 7:08pm On Jun 18, 2022
UncutSk:
if you give Nigeria used and give me buhari I will take buhari

Seriously

There's great difference between naija used and Tokunbo

I will advise anyone to stay calm until He can afford foreign used

Except you know the seller in person and he is ready to say the truth about the vehicle

4 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by Dozieson(m): 7:11pm On Jun 18, 2022
bonnyhope:

Seriously

Except you know the seller in person and he is ready to say the truth about the vehicle

Or selling cheap so the new owner will buy new engine and transmission
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by bonnyhope: 7:13pm On Jun 18, 2022
Dozieson:

Toks v6 is not for bolt. He won't make it.
Again, I have seen a guy who bought toks here on nairaland and still had engine issues(burning oil when moving from Ogun to Lagos). The engine even knocked.

A good mechanic good could tell if engine is burning oil

Toyota engines are culprit for this

The first thing I check out in Toyota engine is the oil burning issue
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by UncutSk(m): 8:37pm On Jun 19, 2022
bonnyhope:

Seriously

iswr bruh cry cry them no dey telli person
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by Maaziigbo7: 12:08am On Jun 22, 2022
bonnyhope:

Seriously

Due to dollar rate, toks are quite expensive now.
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by Originalsly: 2:15pm On Jun 22, 2022
Save and buy Tokunbo... a good one. The price difference you're running from is likely to catch up with you in repairs ... and more repairs and in the end.. an unreliable car. I have a 2004 ....4 cyl .... over 255 000 miles ... still running like the wind .... basic maintenance ... oil change. Naija used ... avoid. My reasoning.... petrol .... how clean is the petrol from the stations? Tokunbo used would not have that problem ... not exposed to dirty petrol. Dirty gas brings on a whole lot of engine problems.... seriously affecting fuel pump to injectors and beyond.... an unavoidable problem with Naija used cars. Tokunbo .... coolant would be used.. Naija used.... most likely... water... and that brings on another set of problems. Motor oil... Tokunbo... almost always .... correct oil used. Naija used... almost always... wrong oil used. Problems await. Next... mechanic ... who worked on the car?.... certified mechanics only?.... or Kazeems? If Kazeems..... then nothing is standard again... what he has undone and redirected and short cut and substituted you will find out as problems arise and the simplest fix will now become a puzzle thanks to Kazeem. Just saying.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by Maaziigbo7: 9:36pm On Jun 24, 2022
Update..,

I checked a car today. Dealer sent pics and claimed it was 05 and buy and drive.

Only for me to inspect and find out that it was 02. And the engine shorts oil and it has brake issues. Also the interior has some damages and it was not a first body car.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by Dozieson(m): 10:34pm On Jun 24, 2022
Maaziigbo7:
Update..,

I checked a car today. Dealer sent pics and claimed it was 05 and buy and drive.

Only for me to inspect and find out that it was 02. And the engine shorts oil and it has brake issues. Also the interior has some damages and it was not a first body car.

Naija used for you
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by sunnymighty(m): 3:41am On Jun 25, 2022
Dozieson:

Naija used for you

Must have been one of the lucky few that bought Nigeria used of this car, even though the mileage was high as at the time the Car was bought (January) the car still perform well on E-hailing platform as I speak, gave it out, it is the 03 Model, safe for few parts I changed then like shaft, worked on the hub, absorber and stabilizer linkage, no issue aside the routine maintenance, but the Oil I am using is eating deep into my pocket. I am thinking of changing my Oil, I change Oil every 3,000 Km.
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by Dozieson(m): 9:19am On Jun 25, 2022
sunnymighty:

Must have been one of the lucky few that bought Nigeria used of this car, even though the mileage was high as at the time the Car was bought (January) the car still perform well on E-hailing platform as I speak, gave it out, it is the 03 Model, safe for few parts I changed then like shaft, worked on the hub, absorber and stabilizer linkage, no issue aside the routine maintenance, but the Oil I am using is eating deep into my pocket. I am thinking of changing my Oil, I change Oil every 3,000 Km.

You are lucky then. How much did you buy it?
How is the engine and gear performance?

Which oil are you using?
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by sunnymighty(m): 4:17pm On Jun 25, 2022
Dozieson:

You are lucky then. How much did you buy it?
How is the engine and gear performance?

Which oil are you using?

1.4m in January it was a distress sale anyway,I have been using Mobil Super 1000 XHP 20W-50 and I service at every 3,000km interval. Engine and Gear is top notch, no issue so far.
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by Dozieson(m): 4:42pm On Jun 25, 2022
sunnymighty:

1.4m in January it was a distress sale anyway,I have been using Mobil Super 1000 XHP 20W-50 and I service at every 3,000km interval. Engine and Gear is top notch, no issue so far.

Please change it to Mobil 2000 5w 30 to save that engine
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by sunnymighty(m): 7:43pm On Jun 25, 2022
Dozieson:

Alright thanks for the head up, do you have an idea of the cost?
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by sunnymighty(m): 7:45pm On Jun 25, 2022
Dozieson:

Alright thanks for the heads up, do you have an idea of cost?
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by RABIUR(m): 8:23pm On Jun 25, 2022
sunnymighty:

Alright thanks for the heads up, do you have an idea of cost?

The price is around 10k plus. Less than 11k
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by Estimable(m): 9:55pm On Jun 25, 2022
RABIUR:

The price is around 10k plus. Less than 11k
Yea, for 4litres. 5 litres is btw 12k to 13k.
It's better to use Mobil 2000 semi synthetic than the 20W 50
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by odimbannamdi(m): 10:48pm On Jun 25, 2022
Dozieson:

Please where can I buy it? I am in Lagos
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by Dozieson(m): 11:36pm On Jun 25, 2022
odimbannamdi:

Please where can I buy it? I am in Lagos

Go to any Lagos part market. You will see it there
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by sunnymighty(m): 1:15am On Jun 26, 2022
Dozieson:

Go to any Lagos part market. You will see it there

We have alot of imitations in the market I buy my Engine Oil at any Mobil station preferably the one at Akilo/Oba Akran link road, will inquire from them. Thanks.
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by Dozieson(m): 6:37am On Jun 26, 2022
sunnymighty:

We have alot of imitations in the market I buy my Engine Oil at any Mobil station preferably the one at Akilo/Oba Akran link road, will inquire from them. Thanks.

Okay good
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by dicksonadams(m): 6:43am On Jun 26, 2022
bonnyhope:

A good mechanic good could tell if engine is burning oil

Toyota engines are culprit for this

The first thing I check out in Toyota engine is the oil burning issue
how do you determine this?
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by Dozieson(m): 11:21am On Jun 26, 2022
dicksonadams:
how do you determine this?

It is common with 2az and 1zz
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by Kokomo: 1:01pm On Jun 26, 2022
Dozieson:

It is common with 2az and 1zz

Ok ,what if I go for the 1mz or 3mz engine, what shoud I look out for
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by Maaziigbo7: 1:34pm On Jun 26, 2022
Please I saw another car. The deal is with th second owner. Car is about 260k miles. And it is 2002 model camry. And all the car documents bears 2002 as year of manufacture.

Will bolt (taxify) accept this model?
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by Dozieson(m): 1:42pm On Jun 26, 2022
Kokomo:

Ok ,what if I go for the 1mz or 3mz engine, what shoud I look out for

These are rugged don't mean they don't short/burn oil but not common. Also, they are V6 option. Check for overheating symptoms. Failed gasket etc

Make sure they are not leaking oil too. And ensure the gear box are not different from the follow come
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by Dozieson(m): 1:43pm On Jun 26, 2022
Maaziigbo7:
Please I saw another car. The deal is with th second owner. Car is about 260k miles. And it is 2002 model camry. And all the car documents bears 2002 as year of manufacture.

Will bolt (taxify) accept this model?

Check bolt drivers thread here on nairaland
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by sunnymighty(m): 2:16pm On Jun 26, 2022
Dozieson:

Do I need to flush the engine before changing over to this Oil? At what interval (Km/Miles) do I have to change Oil again?
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by dicksonadams(m): 2:18pm On Jun 26, 2022
Dozieson:

These are rugged don't mean they don't short/burn oil but not common. Also, they are V6 option. Check for overheating symptoms. Failed gasket etc

Make sure they are not leaking oil too. And ensure the gear box are not different from the follow come

Hi went to inspect one, a camry 2006 v6 xle, noticed oil stained underbody, though owner say it was due to valve cover gasket, which was fixed, fan was connected direct but he said he did it based on his mechanics recommendations not necessarily because the car overheat.

My mechanic say the car is OK, I am good to go?
Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by 9icetoo(m): 2:44pm On Jun 26, 2022
Dozieson:

The 2az engine is the issue with Toyota from 2002 to 2009. From oil burn to strip bolt head etc
Stripped bolt head affected a few engines made between 2003 and 2004.

Oil burn is usually at about 1 liter per 1k miles and does not affect all 2azfe.

I owned and drove one for a while. I bought it Nigerian used and it served me Wella.

The 2azfe is reliable engine, as simple as it gets and cheap to maintain.

Shine your eyes when buying Nigerian used.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Reviews On 2005 Toyota Camry (big Daddy) by 9icetoo(m): 2:45pm On Jun 26, 2022
dicksonadams:

Hi went to inspect one, a camry 2006 v6 xle, noticed oil stained underbody, though owner say it was due to valve cover gasket, which was fixed, fan was connected direct but he said he did it based on his mechanics recommendations not necessarily because the car overheat.

My mechanic say the car is OK, I am good to go?
We cannot see what your mechanic saw.
Any car that age would probably have one or two leaking seals. It's normal.

Use that to bargain the price a bit lower considering the fact that you will fix an oil leak.

You can get the opinion of e second mechanic.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Car Is Most Common On Naija Road? / I Was Asked To Put Camphor Into My Tank. Pls Help Me / Help To Confirm If My BMW E46 Engine is Dead.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.