Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,902 members, 7,817,672 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

: Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army (3239 Views)

The Chicken Has Come Home To Roost: Sectarian Bombing Rocks Saudi Mosque / This guy Wants Sectarian Killings And Ethnic Cleansing Of All Igbos 4 Voting GMB / Goodluck Jonathan: A Sectarian President-barcanista (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

: Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by SAKUR: 9:10pm On Jul 20, 2011
, Fresh clashes between Muslim and Christian youths left five people dead and 12 seriously injured in the flashpoint central Nigerian city of Jos, an army spokesman said Wednesday.

The clashes erupted late Tuesday in Angwan Rukuba district when Muslims youths began protesting the murder of a carpenter who had been allegedly lured to his death by a gang of Christian youths, Captain Charles Ekeocha told AFP.

The carpenter, who was named as Dahira Musa, had been killed on Monday before being buried behind a poultry farm in Christian-dominated Anwar Rukuba district, residents said.

Angered Muslim youths from the nearby Nassarawa Gwon district mobilised and confronted the Christians and the clashes claimed five lives while 12 others were injured, said Ekeocha, spokesman for the Joint Task Force din the city.

Jos, capital of Plateau state, has been hit by waves of sectarian violence in recent years that have claimed hundreds of lives.

The state is located in the so-called middle belt between the mainly Muslim north and predominantly Christian south of Africa's most populous country.

A series of Christmas Eve bomb blasts in Jos killed dozens and set off a new round of violence.
.http://news.yahoo.com/five-dead-nigeria-sectarian-clashes-army-185112763.html
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by EzeUche(m): 9:12pm On Jul 20, 2011
It has started again. undecided undecided undecided
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by ALIWIZARDM: 9:57pm On Jul 20, 2011
Q-When will all this life terminating end?

A-Till the evil country ceded nigeria disintegrates.
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by 13volts(m): 10:51pm On Jul 20, 2011
the question who started the latest killings? silent killings by christain have been going on for a long time this is just the latest. tomorrow people would yarn that it is we muslin that does not want peace to reign in the plateau
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by Nobody: 7:23am On Jul 21, 2011
@13volts, please let us not be sentimental, silent and open killings has been going on both sides! But when bad tng is done let us all condem it. This time around the so-called christians goofed! What they did to Musa Dahiru is evil and criminal, government suld fish them out and execute them too! Please 13volts and others, do nt generalise this action of some stupid criminals callng thmselves christians. I stil remember that in Utan village, some so called christian boys will climb 'achaba' frm town, direct the rider to a 'lungu' killed the rider, dump the body n a well and steal the 'achaba'. Bt t was the good christians around that reported to d authority and those boys were arrested.
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by 13volts(m): 8:17am On Jul 21, 2011
I commend you for speaking the truth. but bear in mind that silent killing of hausa okada riders is a trade mark of the Christian
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by prefers555: 12:18pm On Jul 21, 2011
any nigerian, christain or muslim responsible 4 killing another nigerian should b prosecuted
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by mkmyers45(m): 12:21pm On Jul 21, 2011
Nigerian people are so volatile and unco-operative that one begins to wonder if peace is ever possible
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by deb(m): 12:32pm On Jul 21, 2011
Only fake professing christian who happens not to practise islam kills. No true christian kills, but u are a fake muslim if u don't kill. The truth is that all these yoruba muslims are fake and the true muslims are the Osama bin ladens of this world. Go and read the book "Who is this Allah?" u will understand better that a muslim that does not kill is fake and christians and muslims don't serve the same God. Its all in their quoran.
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by SUV(f): 12:40pm On Jul 21, 2011
Only fake professing christian who happens not to practise islam kills. No true christian kills, but u are a fake muslim if u don't kill. The truth is that all these yoruba muslims are fake and the true muslims are the Osama bin ladens of this world. Go and read the book "Who is this Allah?" u will understand better that a muslim that does not kill is fake and christians and muslims don't serve the same God. Its all in their quoran.

u r correct, but that doesn't mean we shld not stand against Christians that kill, it is not in our doctrine or teaching or morals. that should be condemned.
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by gungume: 12:41pm On Jul 21, 2011
small time u go hear xtians leaders addressing muslims as BLOOD SUCKERS. Not knowing dat numerous muslims were silently killed and maimed at kafancan , zonkwa in southern kaduna and nobody cares about it coz NA DEM GET MOUTH.
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by xynerise: 12:57pm On Jul 21, 2011
[color=#990000][/color]WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!! angry angry angry angry
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by akanbiaa(m): 1:09pm On Jul 21, 2011
[size=8pt]Only fake professing christian who happens not to practise islam kills. No true christian kills, but u are a fake muslim if u don't kill. The truth is that all these yoruba muslims are fake and the true muslims are the Osama bin ladens of this world. Go and read the book "Who is this Allah?" u will understand better that a muslim that does not kill is fake and christians and muslims don't serve the same God. Its all in their quoran.[/size]

MR DEB YOU READ ONLY ONE BOOK AND YOU BASED YOUR JUDGEMENT AND CONCLUSION ON ONE BOOK "Who is this Allah?" WHO IS THE AUTHOR OF THE BOOK?Its all in their quoran HOW MUCH QUALITY  RESEARCH HAVE YOU MADE ON THE QURAN?YOU SEEM TO BE A VERY IGNORANT PERSON ON THE KNOWLEDGE OF ISLAM,THE SO CALLED CRUSADERS THAT KILLED AND FOUGHT SO CALLED CHRISTIAN WAR TO INSTALL THEIR OWN VERSIONS OF THE BIBLE WITH THE ASSISTANCE OF THE FREE MASON SECRET SOCIETY DURING KING LOUIS IV TIME ARE THEY FAKE CHRISTIANS IF YES THEN WHAT YOU READ AS BIBLE TODAY IS NOT THE WHOLE TRUTH,SOME PART MISSING OTHERS ADDED TO SUITE THEIR FREEMASONIC SATANIC GOALS.IF NO THEY GOOGLE THE NUMBER OF UNHARMED WOMEN,CHILDREN AND MEN THAT THE CRUSADERS KILLED AND TELL ME OF YOUR CONCLUSIONS AFTER LEARNING FROM HISTORY,AND ALSO GOOGLE THE COUNCIL OF NICEA THOSE THAT SAT AND DECIDED WITH ROMAN EMPEROR CONSTANTINE ON WHAT SHOULD BE AND WHAT SHOULD NOT BE IN THE HOLY BIBLE NOW PRESENTED TO U. HERE ARE SOME HELPFULL LINKS TO KICK START YOUR RESEARCH INTO KNOWING THE TRUTH.IF YOU ARE A TRUE WORSHIPER AND BELIEVER OF GOD IN ACTIONS AND DEED SATAN WILL ALWAYS DISTURB YOU WITH TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS BUT IF THE WAY YOU THINK YOU ARE WORSHIPING GOD IS OK TO YOU ,BUT IN REALITY NOT THE WAY GOD PRESCRIBED SATAN WILL LEAVE YOU IN PEACE.SO YOU THINK HEAVEN IS THAT CHEAP?WHEN MANY SHALL BE CALLED FEW CHOSEN AND MANY WHO PERFORMED MIGHTY SIGNS,MIRACLES AND WONDER IN JESUS NAME SHALL BE DENIED HEAVEN BECAUSE JESUS DID NOT KNOW THEM,THEY DID NOT FOLLOW THE PREACHINGS OF JESUS INSTEAD THEY WORSHIPED HIM.INSTEAD OF GOD THE ALMIGHTY,AS IF YOU ARE CHALLENGING GOD THAT WE WILL NOT OBEEY YOU BUT YOUR SERVANT YOU SENT WE WILL WORSHIP INSTEAD OF YOU.
http://www.rense.com/general66/hide.htm http://www.savinghumans.com/tag/illuminati/ http://etori.tripod.com/dajjalsystem/attack.htm that is just a tip of an iceberg for you.
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by Ayoobscom(m): 1:24pm On Jul 21, 2011
let peace reign
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by cold(m): 1:30pm On Jul 21, 2011
I just spoke to my mum to bring me up to speed on the situation.And she said she just drove past Ungwan Rukuba & the place is as quiet as a grave yard so I really don't know what to believe
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by Ugobelu: 1:57pm On Jul 21, 2011
When will this stopy? Jos is use to be a cool city then, canJos be peaceful again? God have mercy!
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by ksam(m): 2:02pm On Jul 21, 2011
Pls make ur sugestions and leave.stop all this nonsense u are posting about who the christians worshiped or not or else there will be crisis on nairaland.
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by God2man(m): 2:49pm On Jul 21, 2011
I was in Jos last year for more than three weeks, although i travelled to nassarawa within those period, i usually returned back to Jos by weekend. I am talking about aprii to may last year 2O1O it was for an official assingnment. All i can say about these clashes in Jos is that, religious killing was not rampant during those period, my conclusion is that the press seem to worsen the situation by sensational headline, up till now,our people are still there, yoruba,ibo. Morever, christians and muslims must accept the fact that, one cannot go for the other, that is you cannot destroy one for the other to stay, it is not possible, we must imbibe the spirit of tolerance. Great effort had been taking during the period of 14 to 19 century to eliminate christian, there is a name for them MARTYR, christians were crucified, beheaded,slain with sword, thrown to lion den, tied to fire stick and burned alive. Now, christianity is still waxing stronger. Could you please inform those who are trying to eliminate christianity that it is not a new thing, what they are doing is to expand the Gospel of our Lord Jesus christ, Nobody can stop God. The more the persecution, the more spreading of the gospel.
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by God2man(m): 2:50pm On Jul 21, 2011
I was in Jos last year for more than three weeks, although i travelled to nassarawa within those period, i usually returned back to Jos by weekend. I am talking about aprii to may last year 2O1O it was for an official assingnment. All i can say about these clashes in Jos is that, religious killing was not rampant during those period, my conclusion is that the press seem to worsen the situation by sensational headline, up till now,our people are still there, yoruba,ibo. Morever, christians and muslims must accept the fact that, one cannot go for the other, that is you cannot destroy one for the other to stay, it is not possible, we must imbibe the spirit of tolerance. Great effort had been taking during the period of 14 to 19 century to eliminate christian, there is a name for them MARTYR, christians were crucified, beheaded,slain with sword, thrown to lion den, tied to fire stick and burned alive. Now, christianity is still waxing stronger. Could you please inform those who are trying to eliminate christianity that it is not a new thing, what they are doing is to expand the Gospel of our Lord Jesus christ, Nobody can stop God. The more the persecution, the more spreading of the gospel.
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by vaLasce(m): 3:17pm On Jul 21, 2011
do me,
i do u,
God no go vex!
until a TYPICAL line's drawn btw d so very possessive hausa man,
n indigenes'f plareau state,
der shall continue2b violence,
upon violence,
upon violence,
upon killings,
upon violence,
in dat old,
cold,
God forsaken,
uninteresting,
norin dey happen ciry called plareau.
tenk u!
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by Misbee(f): 3:22pm On Jul 21, 2011
@God2man,sincere talk.Jesus be praise 4eva!!!!
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by topkin(m): 3:49pm On Jul 21, 2011
J-Town why now? Is the bloodshed not enough?
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by mathskill: 3:53pm On Jul 21, 2011
deb:

Old Testament

The principle of "an eye for an eye" is often referred to using the Latin phrase lex talionis, the law of talion. The meaning of the principle Eye for an Eye is that a person who has injured another person returns the offending action to the originator in compensation. The exact Latin (lex talionis) to English translation of this phrase is actually "The law of retaliation." At the root of this principle is that one of the purposes of the law is to provide equitable retribution for an offended party.

Dr Ian Guthridge cited many instances of genocide in the Old Testament:[32]:319-320
“ the Bible also contains the horrific account of what can only be described as a "biblical holocaust". For, in order to keep the chosen people apart from and unaffected by the alien beliefs and practices of indigenous or neighbouring peoples, when God commanded his chosen people to conquer the Promised Land, he placed city after city 'under the ban" -which meant that every man, woman and child was to be slaughtered at the point of the sword. ”

The extent of extermination is described in the scriptural passage Deut 20:16-18 which orders the Israelites to "not leave alive anything that breathes… completely destroy them …".[33] thus leading many scholars to characterize the exterminations as genocide. Niels Peter Lemche asserts that European colonialism in the 19th century was ideologically based on the Old Testament narratives of conquest and extermination.[44] Arthur Grenke claims that the view or war expressed in Deuteronomy contributed to the destruction of Native Americans and to the destruction of European Jewry.

From the above passage in the bible we can deduce that it encourages killing.I want to refute your claim that,only muslims kill based on religion.
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by mathskill: 4:33pm On Jul 21, 2011
God2man:

Mention the word "crusade" to anyone and you'll engender visions of either wild-eyed religious fanatics charging off to kill the infidels, or esteemed holy warriors taking up the burden of a religious mission far greater than themselves. There's no single judgment that can be made about the Crusades or even crusading generally, but it is a subject which merits closer attention than it usually receives.

What is crusading, exactly? The term "Crusade" can be used generally to refer to any of the military operations launched during the middle ages by the Catholic Church and Catholic political leaders against non-Catholic powers or heretical movements. Most crusades, however, were directed at Muslim states in the Middle East, with the first starting in 1096 and the last in 1270. The term itself is derived from the Latin cruciata, which means "cross-marked," i.e. cruce signati, those who wear the insignia of scarlet crosses.

Today the term "crusade" has generally lost its military implications (in the West, at least) and has acquired more metaphorical meanings. Within religion the label "crusade" may be applied to any organized drive to convert people to a particular brand of Christianity or just to stoke the fires of devotion and faith. Outside of religion the label is applied to reform movements or zealous undertakings designed to make significant changes in structures of power, authority, or social relationships.

Understanding the Crusades requires understanding that, contrary to traditional stereotypes, they weren't simply an aggressive military campaign against Muslim lands, nor were they merely a defensive military campaign against Muslims on the Iberian peninsula and in the Mediterranean. The Crusades, all of them, were in the first place an attempt to impose orthodox Christianity via military force across a wide swath of territory, and second, the product of Christian contact with a militarily powerful, culturally self-confident, and economically expansionistic religious civilization.

The Crusades, but especially the "true" Crusades launched against Islam in the Middle East, are arguably the most important aspect of the Middle Ages. It was here that medieval warfare, art, politics, trade, religion, and ideals about chivalry all came together. Europe entered the crusading age as one type of society but left it transformed in vital ways which were not always immediately obvious, but which nevertheless contained the seeds of change which continue to impact European and world affairs today.

Furthermore, the Crusades also fundamentally altered the relationship between Christianity and Islam. Although they constituted a decisive military "win" for Islam, the image of barbaric Christian Crusaders continues to haunt Arab Muslim perspectives of Europe and Christianity, especially when combined with the more recent history of European colonialism in the Middle East. It is curious that an ostensibly Islamic military and political triumph could be transformed into a touchstone of Islamic defeat and despair.There is some arbitrariness to any categorization or division of the Crusades — over 200 years of almost continual fighting on multiple fronts. Where does one Crusade end and the next begin? Despite such problems, there is a traditional system that allows for a fair overview.

First Crusade: Launched by Pope Urban II at the Council of Clermont in 1095, it was the most successful. Urban gave a dramatic speech urging Christians to swarm to Jerusalem and make it safe for Christian pilgrims by taking it away from Muslims. The armies of the First Crusade left in 1096 and captured Jerusalem in 1099. Crusaders carved out small kingdoms for themselves which endured for some time, though not long enough to have a real impact on local culture. Timeline

Second Crusade: Launched in response to the Muslim capture of Edessa in 1144, it was accepted by European leaders primarily due to the tireless effort of St. Bernard of Clairvaux who travelled across France, Germany, and Italy to exhort people to take up the cross and reassert Christian domination in the Holy Land. The kings of France and Germany answered the call but the losses to their armies were devastating and they were easily defeated. Timeline

Third Crusade: Launched in 1189, it was called because of the Muslim recapture of Jerusalem in 1187 and the defeat of Palestinian knights at Hittin. It was unsuccessful. Frederick I Barbarossa of Germany drowned before he even reached the Holy Land and Philip II Augustus of France returned home after a short time. Only Richard the Lionheart of England stayed long. He helped capture Acre and some smaller ports, only leaving after he concluded a peace treaty with Saladin. Timeline

Fourth Crusade: Launched in 1202, it was in part instigated by Venetian leaders who saw it as a means to increase their power and influence. Crusaders who arrived in Venice expecting to be taken to Egypt were instead diverted towards their allies in Constantinople. The great city was mercilessly sacked in 1204 (during Easter week, yet), leading to greater enmity between Eastern and Western Christians. Timeline

Fifth Crusade: Called in 1217, only Leopold VI of Austria and Andrew II of Hungary participated. They captured the city of Damietta, but after their devastating loss at the Battle of Al-Mansura they were forced to return it. Ironically, before their defeat they were offered control of Jerusalem and other Christian sites in Palestine in exchange for the return of Damietta, but Cardinal Pelagius refused and turned a potential victory into a stunning defeat. Timeline

Sixth Crusade: Launched in 1228, it achieved some small measure of success — though not by military might. It was led by Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II of Hohenstaufen, King of Jerusalem through his marriage to Yolanda, daughter of John of Brienne. Frederick had promised to participate in the Fifth Crusade but failed to do so, thus he was under a great deal of pressure to do something substantive this time. This Crusade ended with a peace treaty granting Christians control of several important holy sites, including Jerusalem. Timeline

Seventh and Eighth Crusades: Led by King Louis IX of France, they were complete failures. In the Seventh Crusade Louis sailed to Egypt in 1248 and recaptured Damietta, but after he and his army were routed he had to return it as well as a massive ransom just to get free. In 1270 he set off on the Eighth Crusade, landing in North Africa to convert the sultan of Tunis to Christianity but died before he got far. Timeline

The Ninth Crusade: Led by King Edward I of England in 1271 who tried to join Louis in Tunis, it would fail. Edward arrived after Louis had died and moved against the Mamluk sultan Baibers. He didn't achieve much, though, and returned home to England after he learned that his father Henry III had died. Timeline

Reconquista: Launched against the Muslims who had taken control of the Iberian peninsula, it began in 722 with the Battle of Covadonga when the Visigoth noble Pelayo defeated a Muslim Army at Alcama and didn't end until 1492 when Ferdinand of Aragon and Isabella of Castile conquered Granada, last Muslim stronghold.

Baltic Crusade: Launched in the north by Berthold, Bishop of Buxtehude (Uexküll), against local pagans. Fighting lasted until 1410 when at the Battle of Tannenberg forces from Poland and Lithuania defeated the Teutonic Knights. Over the course of the conflicts, though, the pagan population was gradually converted to Christianity. Timeline

Cathar Crusade: Launched against the Cathars (Albigenses) in southern France by Pope lnnocent III, it was the only major Crusade against other Christians. Montsegur, the largest Cathar stronghold, fell in 1244 after a nine month siege and the last Cathar stronghold — an isolated fort at Quéribus — was captured in 1255. Why were the Crusades launched? Were the Crusades primarily religious, political, economic, or a combination? There is a wide variety of opinion on this matter. Some argue that they were a necessary response by Christendom to the oppression of pilgrims in Muslim-controlled Jerusalem. Others claim that it was political imperialism masked by religious piety. Still others argue that it was a social release for a society that was becoming overburdened by landless nobles.

Christians commonly try to defend the Crusades as political or at least as politics being masked by religion, but in reality sincere religious devotion — both Muslim and Christian — played a primary role on both sides. It's little wonder that the Crusades are so often cited as a reason to regard religion as a cause for violence in human history. The most immediate cause for the Crusades is also the most obvious: Muslim incursions into previously Christian lands. On multiple fronts, Muslims were invading Christian lands to convert the inhabitants and assume control in the name of Islam.

A "Crusade" had been underway on the Iberian peninsula since 711 when Muslim invaders conquered most of the region. Better known as the Reconquista, it lasted until the tiny kingdom of Grenada was reconquered in 1492. In the East, Muslim attacks on land controlled by the Byzantine Empire had been going on for a long time. After the battle of Manzikert in 1071, much of Asia Minor fell to the Seljuk Turks, and it was unlikely that this last outpost of the Roman Empire would be able to survive further concentrated assaults. It wasn't long before the Byzantine Christians asked for help from Christians in Europe, and it's no surprise that their plea was answered.

A military expedition against the Turks held out a lot of promise, not least of which was the possible reunification of the Eastern and Western churches, should the West prove capable of defeating the Muslim menace which had for so long plagued the East. Thus the Christian interest in the Crusades was not only to end the Muslim threat, but also to end the Christian schism. Aside from that, however, was the fact that if Constantinople fell then all of Europe would be open to invasion, a prospect that weighed heavily on the minds of European Christians.

Another cause for the Crusades was the increase in problems experienced by Christian pilgrims in the region. Pilgrimages were very important to European Christians for religious, social, and political reasons. Anyone who successfully made the long and arduous journey to Jerusalem not only demonstrated their religious devotion, but also became beneficiaries of significant religious benefits. A pilgrimage wiped clean one's plate of sins (sometimes it was a requirement, the sins were so egregious) and in some cases served to minimize future sins as well. Without these religious pilgrimages, Christians would have had a harder time justifying claims to ownership and authority over the region.

The religious enthusiasm of the people who went off on the Crusades can't be ignored. Although there were a number of distinct campaigns launched, a general "crusading spirit" swept across much of Europe for a long time. Some Crusaders claimed to experience visions of God ordering them to the Holy Land. These usually ended in failure because the visionary was typically a person without any political or military experience. Joining a Crusade was not simply a matter of participating in military conquest: it was a form of religious devotion, particularly among those seeking forgiveness for their sins. Humble pilgrimages had been replaced by armed pilgrimages as church authorities used the Crusades as part of the penance people had to do to repay sins.

Not all of the causes were quite so religious, though. We know that the Italian merchant states, already powerful and influential, wished to expand their trade in the Mediterranean. This was being blocked by Muslim control of many strategic seaports, so if Muslim domination of the eastern Mediterranean could be ended or at least significantly weakened, then cities like Venice, Genoa, and Pisa had a chance to enrich themselves further. Of course, richer Italian states also meant a richer Vatican.

In the end, the violence, death, destruction, and continuing bad blood that last through to the present day would not have occurred without religion. It doesn't matter so much who "started it," Christians or Muslims. What matters is that Christians and Muslims eagerly participated in mass murder and destruction, mostly for the sake of religious beliefs, religious conquest, and religious supremacism. The Crusades exemplify the way in which religious devotion can become a violent act in a grand, cosmic drama of good vs. evil — an attitude which persists through today in the form of religious extremists and terrorists.
The Crusades were an incredibly violent undertaking, even by medieval standards. The Crusades have often been remembered in a romantic fashion, but perhaps nothing has deserved it less. Hardly a noble quest in foreign lands, the Crusades represented the worst in religion generally and in Christianity specifically.

Two systems which emerged in the church deserve special mention has having contributed greatly: penance and indulgences. Penance was a type of worldly punishment, and a common form was a pilgrimage to the Holy Lands. Pilgrims resented the fact that sites holy to Christianity were not controlled by Christians, and they were easily whipped into a state of agitation and hatred towards Muslims.

Later on, crusading itself was regarded as a holy pilgrimage — thus, people paid penance for their sins by going off and slaughtering adherents of another religion. Indulgences, or waivers of temporal punishment, were granted by the church to anyone who contributed monetarily to the bloody campaigns.

Early on, crusades were more likely to be unorganized mass movements of "the people" than organized movements of traditional armies. More than that, the leaders seemed be chosen based on just how incredible their claims were. Tens of thousands of peasants followed Peter the Hermit who displayed a letter he claimed was written by God and delivered to him personally by Jesus. This letter was supposed to be his credentials as a Christian leader, and perhaps he was indeed qualified — in more ways than one.

Not to be outdone, throngs of crusaders in the Rhine valley followed a goose believed to be enchanted by God to be their guide. I'm not sure that they got very far, although they did manage to join other armies following Emich of Leisingen who asserted that a cross miraculously appeared on his chest, certifying him for leadership. Showing a level of rationality consistent with their choice of leaders, Emich's followers decided that before they traveled across Europe to kill God's enemies, it would be a good idea to eliminate the infidels in their midst. Thus suitably motivated, they proceeded to massacre the Jews in German cities like Mainz and Worms. Thousands of defenseless men, women and children were chopped, burned or otherwise slaughtered.

This sort of action was not an isolated event — indeed, it was repeated throughout Europe by all sorts of crusading hordes. Lucky Jews were given a last-minute chance to convert to Christianity in accord with Augustine's doctrines. Even other Christians were not safe from the Christian crusaders. As they roamed the countryside, they spared no effort in pillaging towns and farms for food. When Peter the Hermit's army entered Yugoslavia, 4,000 Christian residents of the city of Zemun were massacred before they moved on to burn Belgrade.

Eventually the mass killings by amateur crusaders were taken over by professional soldiers — not so that fewer innocents would be killed, but so that they would be killed in a more orderly fashion. This time, ordained bishops followed along to bless the atrocities and make sure that they had official church approval. Leaders like Peter the Hermit and the Rhine Goose were rejected by the church not for their actions, but for their reluctance to follow church procedures.

Taking the heads of slain enemies and impaling them upon pikes appears to have been a favorite pastime among crusaders. Chronicles record a story of a crusader-bishop who referred to the impaled heads of slain Muslims as a joyful spectacle for the people of God. When Muslim cities were captured by Christian crusaders, it was standard operating procedure for all inhabitants, no matter what their age, to be summarily killed. It is not an exaggeration to say that the streets ran red with blood as Christians reveled in church-sanctioned horrors. Jews who took refuge in their synagogues would be burned alive, not unlike the treatment they received in Europe.

In his reports about the conquest of Jerusalem, Chronicler Raymond of Aguilers wrote that "It was a just and marvelous judgment of God, that this place [the temple of Solomon] should be filled with the blood of the unbelievers." St. Bernard announced before the Second Crusade that "The Christian glories in the death of a pagan, because thereby Christ himself is glorified."

Sometimes, atrocities were excused as actually being merciful. When a crusader army broke out of Antioch and sent the besieging army into flight, the Christians found that the abandoned Muslim camp was filled with the wives of the enemy soldiers. Chronicler Fulcher of Chartres happily recorded for posterity that ", the Franks did nothing evil to them [the women] except pierce their bellies with their lances."
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by Gbenge77(m): 4:41pm On Jul 21, 2011
Jos has metamorphosed into a theatre of war overtime.
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by zurichglo(f): 5:04pm On Jul 21, 2011
plz they should hold on with their fight and allow my sister to finish her service and come back home.
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by unongu(m): 8:23pm On Jul 21, 2011
[color=#000099]MR DEB YOU READ ONLY ONE BOOK AND YOU BASED YOUR JUDGEMENT AND CONCLUSION ON ONE BOOK "Who is this Allah?" WHO IS THE AUTHOR OF THE BOOK?Its all in their quoran HOW MUCH QUALITY RESEARCH HAVE YOU MADE ON THE QURAN?YOU SEEM TO BE A VERY IGNORANT PERSON ON THE KNOWLEDGE OF ISLAM,THE SO CALLED CRUSADERS THAT KILLED AND FOUGHT SO CALLED CHRISTIAN WAR TO INSTALL THEIR OWN VERSIONS OF THE BIBLE WITH THE ASSISTANCE OF THE FREE MASON SECRET SOCIETY DURING KING LOUIS IV TIME ARE THEY FAKE CHRISTIANS IF YES THEN WHAT YOU READ AS BIBLE TODAY IS NOT THE WHOLE TRUTH,SOME PART MISSING OTHERS ADDED TO SUITE THEIR FREEMASONIC SATANIC GOALS.IF NO THEY GOOGLE THE NUMBER OF UNHARMED WOMEN,CHILDREN AND MEN THAT THE CRUSADERS KILLED AND TELL ME OF YOUR CONCLUSIONS AFTER LEARNING FROM HISTORY,AND ALSO GOOGLE THE COUNCIL OF NICEA THOSE THAT SAT AND DECIDED WITH ROMAN EMPEROR CONSTANTINE ON WHAT SHOULD BE AND WHAT SHOULD NOT BE IN THE HOLY BIBLE NOW PRESENTED TO U. HERE ARE SOME HELPFULL LINKS TO KICK START YOUR RESEARCH INTO KNOWING THE TRUTH.IF YOU ARE A TRUE WORSHIPER AND BELIEVER OF GOD IN ACTIONS AND DEED SATAN WILL ALWAYS DISTURB YOU WITH TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS BUT IF THE WAY YOU THINK YOU ARE WORSHIPING GOD IS OK TO YOU ,BUT IN REALITY NOT THE WAY GOD PRESCRIBED SATAN WILL LEAVE YOU IN PEACE.SO YOU THINK HEAVEN IS THAT CHEAP?WHEN MANY SHALL BE CALLED FEW CHOSEN AND MANY WHO PERFORMED MIGHTY SIGNS,MIRACLES AND WONDER IN JESUS NAME SHALL BE DENIED HEAVEN BECAUSE JESUS DID NOT KNOW THEM,THEY DID NOT FOLLOW THE PREACHINGS OF JESUS INSTEAD THEY WORSHIPED HIM.INSTEAD OF GOD THE ALMIGHTY,AS IF YOU ARE CHALLENGING GOD THAT WE WILL NOT OBEEY YOU BUT YOUR SERVANT YOU SENT WE WILL WORSHIP INSTEAD OF YOU.
http://www.rense.com/general66/hide.htm http://www.savinghumans.com/tag/illuminati/ http://etori.tripod.com/dajjalsystem/attack.htm that is just a tip of an iceberg for you.
[/color]

This is the most heretic, apostate, and schismatic comment and misconception about Christianity in recent times, Indeed, agents of the devil (anti-Christ) live amongst us and are even on Nairaland. Better do more research on the ILLUMINATI and stop goofing on nairaland. Repent and become a Christian or be damned.
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by calaway: 8:37pm On Jul 21, 2011
LIES!!!!!!! AGAIN WE SEE THE MEDIA BEING MANIPULATED TO SHEILD THE HAUSA GROUP. THE KILLING WERE AS USUAL STARTED BY THE HAUSA YOUTHS AND THE CHRISTAINS YOUTH ON RETALIATED. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ISLAM OR XTIANITY IT IS JUST HAUSA KILLING EVERY OTHER NIGERIAN WHILE HIDING BEHIND A SMOKE SCREEN OF RELIGION. WE SEE IT HAPPENING EVEN IN BORNO STATE. THIS GROUP WILL ALWAYS CAUSE AND CREAT PROBLEMMS WHEN THEY DONT HAVE THEIR WAY. DONT FORGET THEY KILL BABIES, ADOLENCENT GIRLS AND AGED WOMEN WITHOUT PROVOCATION OR PITY EVEN AS THE BOMB CHURCHES AND MURDER INNOCENT STRANGERS.
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by mathskill: 9:24pm On Jul 21, 2011
calaway:

LIES!!!!!!! AGAIN WE SEE THE MEDIA BEING MANIPULATED TO SHEILD THE HAUSA GROUP. THE KILLING WERE AS USUAL STARTED BY THE HAUSA YOUTHS AND THE CHRISTAINS YOUTH ON RETALIATED. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ISLAM OR XTIANITY IT IS JUST HAUSA KILLING EVERY OTHER NIGERIAN WHILE HIDING BEHIND A SMOKE SCREEN OF RELIGION. WE SEE IT HAPPENING EVEN IN BORNO STATE. THIS GROUP WILL ALWAYS CAUSE AND CREAT PROBLEMMS WHEN THEY DONT HAVE THEIR WAY. DONT FORGET THEY KILL BABIES, ADOLENCENT GIRLS AND AGED WOMEN WITHOUT PROVOCATION OR PITY EVEN AS THE BOMB CHURCHES AND MURDER INNOCENT STRANGERS.
I wonder who is lying,is it the army?tell me who is manipulating them, boko haram abi?or will the print and electronic media that is dominated by southern christians now tell a lie against themselves?my guy if you don't have anything better write go sleep.
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by mekaboy(m): 10:22pm On Jul 21, 2011

DID ANYONE READ THE PART OF THE STORY THAT SAYS IT IS ALLEGED? MEANS ITS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED, THIS COULD BE A PLOT BY THE JIHADIC SPONSORS OF BOKO HARAM TO STIR UP VIOLENCE. KILL A MUSLIM, BURY HIM IN A CHRISTIAN ENVIRONMENT, AND MOTIVATE THE MUSLIMS TO RETALIATE, ALL THE MUSLIMS WANT IS JIHAD, THAT IS THE WAR THAT ALA PROMISED THEM, AND THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE WAITING FOR.

PROVOKING CHRISTIANS TO ENGAGE THEM IN BATTLE, THIS JIHAD THEY ARE PRAYING FOR, THEY WILL GET IT ONE DAY.

Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by deb(m): 1:02am On Jul 22, 2011
Every sincere muslim and even christians should please google the book "Who is this Allah" by G.J.O Moshay and other books he has written Like "my conversation with a muslim scholar" and others. (very interesting how a professor of islam got confused at the end for obvious reasons presented to him on national tv)
if you really are sincere and don't want to just live by the unquestionable religion you inherited from your parents go after d knowledge and read d book(s). You will be shocked at the amount of muslims that are turning to christianity daily after reading the book even right from d middle east. Just buy and read it even if it is with a closed mind @ least ur conscience will judge you somewhere because everythin u read there is highlighted from quran readily available and d Hadith which most young muslim don't even have access to.
Allah is not God, get to knw abt d trick of the devil to destroy you permanently, Even if u don't believe go read d book(s) 4 d sake of criticism at least!
Re: : Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army by blesbeatz(m): 2:16am On Jul 22, 2011
OK, PEOPLE I LIVE AND RESIDE IN ANGWA RUKUBA WHERE THE INCIDENT HAPPENED, THE SO CALLED Dahira Musa THAT WAS KILLED WAS SEEN WITH A FIRE ARM (GUN) AND PROBABILITY WITH SOME WEAPONS ON HIM, THAT PROMPTED THE KILLING. SILENT KILLINGS STARTED AND IS PRACTICED VEHEMENTLY BY THE MUSLIMS IN JOS. NO ONE HERE IN THIS FORUM SHOULD SAY JACK ABOUT THE CHRISTIANS IN JOS BECAUSE IT IS QUIET UNFORTUNATE THE MUSLIMS BROUGHT OUT THE BEAST IN THE CHRISTIANS IF TRUTH BE TOLD. NO ONE SHOULD PLS SAY A JACK ABOUT THE CHRISTIANS IN JOS,

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Top Oil Producing States. Based On Revenue. / Ranking:-most Beautiful Southeast Capital City / Why Nigerians Should Not Vote For Buhari - By FEMI FANI-KAYODE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.