Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. (18374 Views)

Why Do Rich Men Deceive We Poor Men Like This??? (PICTURES) / COVID-19: I Pity Poor Men With Many Children / "My Mistake Is That I Married Poor Men" - Kenyan Mom Of 11 Married To 2 Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by kollysnut(m): 3:20pm On Jul 04, 2022
fulaniHERDSman:
Ensure u are not typing from the North. Lest they lynch ye. Punna variety dey sweet them like custard with overdose of peak milk grin

With Overdose of condensed milk....
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by Whobedatte(m): 3:21pm On Jul 04, 2022
China at a point when they reached the 1 billion mark did same .
Not only for the poor but the totality of Chinese .
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by smile11s(m): 3:21pm On Jul 04, 2022
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by GreatCIS(m): 3:22pm On Jul 04, 2022
Up north, this practice has grown from being a way of life to being a threat to life. Outlawing polygamy or instituting birth control is tantamount to toying with their fundamental human right to life/freedom of belief. To curb this menace, their religious and traditional leaders will be in the best position to do the job. Unfortunately, most of them including their elites are involved. Hence, the government as matter of urgency will have to consider effective means of population management. Anyway, PMB's regime multiplied hunger and added poverty, thereby causing wisdom to fall on some of them. Street begging in this era is no longer lucrative.

1 Like

Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by gracealonev: 3:22pm On Jul 04, 2022
jmoore:
I watched Newsline on NTA yesterday. This man has four wives and 19 children. The family is poor and the kids beg on the streets.

1. There should be a law banning poor men from marrying more than 1 wife.

2. Another law that makes it a criminal offence for a poor man to have more than 2 kids.

Please say out what you wrote down and make sure you listen yo yourself.

Which government who failed to raise every citizen out of poverty will make such laws which exist in your imagination?
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by gabicon: 3:22pm On Jul 04, 2022
jmoore:
I watched Newsline on NTA yesterday. This man has four wives and 19 children. The family is poor and the kids beg on the streets.

2. Another law that makes it a criminal offence for a poor man to have more than 2 kids.

Laws are easy to formulate but difficult to enforce. Are we ready to share contraception to all and sundry? Are we ready to legalise abortion?
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by Solofresh2: 3:22pm On Jul 04, 2022
badoh:
Who told you a poor man today can't become a successful man tomorrow?
Culprit spotted.People like you are the ones OP was referring to

1 Like

Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by fineboynl(m): 3:23pm On Jul 04, 2022
It's not poverty. Being poor is not the reason.

The reason is lack of education.

Any body that finish senior secondary school will not do that. That that's why it's more common in the north.

1 Like

Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by Flamezreal(m): 3:23pm On Jul 04, 2022
What's your definition of poor. Are you rich, how many "poor" have you been taking care of? You should consider some of these before you think your opinion matters. To the best of my knowledge, average Okada riders and other menial labourers from my side live in houses built by themselves. Here, it's Aguda o je labe geesi ise ole to o je.
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by naijapikin2(m): 3:24pm On Jul 04, 2022
Za norzan legislatas will neba agree... Zis law is not por za north. grin

So what happens when a rich man who has many children, now becomes poor, I mean very poor..?? Will they now kill his children?..

We know this law will never see the light of day
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by Solofresh2: 3:24pm On Jul 04, 2022
Greenscientist:
How do you define been poor?

While I understand where you're coming from, our desire for luxury is what is making us to look poor.

Who doesn't want to drive big cars and own big houses?

Being poor in the this situation is when you can't afford the basic necessities of life.Food, clothing and shelter

1 Like

Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by jaxxy(m): 3:25pm On Jul 04, 2022
jmoore:

why not make a law to ban poverty instead? undecided

If they make such useless law then for no born Mko abiola or obasanjo and many others for this world.
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by Solofresh2: 3:26pm On Jul 04, 2022
latolz:
What is your definition of poor because there is almost no middle class again
When you can't afford the basic necessities of life, which are food, clothing and shelter
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by treatise: 3:26pm On Jul 04, 2022
jmoore:

Before nko.
Yes, especially if you are using black and white television
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by Splitmind: 3:29pm On Jul 04, 2022
This law is insane and anti-Islamic! angry
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by ufotunang: 3:30pm On Jul 04, 2022
This type of law will be better for nigeria. Poor men give birth many children they cannot take good care of...and before you know some of the children will go into criminal activities inoder to get money to cater for themselves... one of the reasons why the rate of crime is high in nigeria
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 04, 2022
jmoore:

How do you define a poor person? Poverty differs from state to state and even from town to town. Poverty also doesn't mean not having money. Some people don't have cash in hand but have enough food and resources to run a family. So their kids eat well and can maybe attend public schools but they can't buy basic things. You should also remember that rich people become poor too.

A better strategy would be to pass and enforce laws requiring parents to take care of their children.
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by wiseworldmusic: 3:33pm On Jul 04, 2022
I totally agree with it, I have been saying this for a long time.

this is affecting Nigeria development in the northern part, from my perspective
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jul 04, 2022
undecided
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by blesdman(m): 3:35pm On Jul 04, 2022
Manny21:
Either rich or poor, polygamy is degrading, disgusting, primitive, un-dignifying, ignominious and backward.
Says who?
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by shantti(m): 3:37pm On Jul 04, 2022
I think the best thing is that if you decide to have more than 3 kids, u will be subjected to heavy taxation. You will not pay tax for the 1st and 2nd children, but from the 3rd,4th,5th.......and so on, you will pay a very heavy monthly tax for each of them.

The same thing goes to polygamy. aside your first wife, you will be subjected to heavy monthly taxing per 3rd,4th,5th,6th............ wives that you marry.
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by Shukusheka(m): 3:39pm On Jul 04, 2022
Opposition party would use Muslims to somehow twist the entire narrative, claiming the law leans toward Christianity belief and it is an infringement on their rights. We are always divided across tribal & religious lines in this damned country.

Moreso, what metric and timeline would you use in determining who is poor and when they are poor?
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by WHITELIGHTER: 3:39pm On Jul 04, 2022
You are very senseless and stupid....why don't you support a law of life imprisonment for corrupt leaders that has made so many _poor_ ?
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by Rhozabeth(m): 3:45pm On Jul 04, 2022
jmoore:

Much as i agree with you, i think the law shud not be restricted to the poor only otherwise that aim of population control will be defeated. There are also rich men that have children everywhere and do not take care of them!
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by jmoore(m): 3:47pm On Jul 04, 2022
gabicon:

Laws are easy to formulate but difficult to enforce. Are we ready to share contraception to all and sundry? Are we ready to legalise abortion?
Legalize abortion? Abortion is not part of family planning.

Anyone that can't afford condom has no business with sex.
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by Alexiiydon: 3:47pm On Jul 04, 2022
How we won multiply because those rich men no Dey give birth to many children unlike poor peoples but wait how person number of children take be your problem because if them don do that law before them born you I know say them no fit born you unless you’re the first born of your family
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jul 04, 2022
So NTA news line is still airing? I watched that shit last when I was a child. Anyway it’s a dumb idea because of social mobility. A poor man can become rich and a rich man with multiple wives and kids can become poor. So how will the law account for that?
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by Gkay1(m): 3:50pm On Jul 04, 2022
A poor man can still become rich if he didn't lost hope and rich man can still be poor if he don't plan well
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by jmoore(m): 3:50pm On Jul 04, 2022
fineboynl:
It's not poverty. Being poor is not the reason.

The reason is lack of education.

Any body that finish senior secondary school will not do that. That that's why it's more common in the north.
Do we have rich people/middle class that didn't send their kids to school?
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by helinues: 3:52pm On Jul 04, 2022
Pagenaija1:

Let’s discuss about your unemployment status

Oya let's discuss it

I met you online this morning, I left you online after 3 of your monikers was banned for trolling me, I am just returning back online after 3 successful transaction to start my week which even if I decided to sleep for the rest of the week, I am covered, came back online yet you are still here with your 4th moniker to do the as usual trolling and you still have to talk about employment status?

Ask yourself, who has been productive here?

Who has made money and

who is stuck on NL?
Re: A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. by compton11(m): 3:53pm On Jul 04, 2022
eleko1:
cool such Law can't work in UpNorth
They Follow the lifestyle of Muhammed
and which lifestyle did u follow?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mention Myth Your Parents Made You Believe As Achild / Over-Pampered Kids Are Very Troublesome And Stubborn / Couple Who Met On Twitter Welcome Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.