Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,695 members, 7,827,544 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan (3059 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / Nigeriannewspapers: Biafra: I’m Worried, Says Sultan / Supreme Council On Islamic Affairs Condemn Nigeria’s Stand On Palestine Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by thisisEMP: 10:20am On Jul 29, 2011
The Sultan of Sokoto and President General of the Jamatul Nasril Islam (JNI), Alhaji  Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III, Thursday joined issues with opponents of Islamic banking, asking why Islam is being portrayed in bad light in the country.

He said there was no going back on the establishment of Islamic banks in the country, further expressing worries about the violence in the North-east.

He said:  “So many people have said so many things about Islamic banking. Why is it that whenever anything Islamic is mentioned, those who are not Muslims kick against it? That is what we need to ask ourselves here. Is the word Islam bad? Why is it that when anything Muslim is mentioned, it is equated with violence?”

The Sultan challenged members of the JNI to spend time on soul-searching over the issues with a poser: “Why is it that anybody who is not a Muslim is afraid of [religion of] peace?”

“We have to ask ourselves that question and we have to come out with a solution because I have asked myself many times, but I can’t get an answer because I know what Islam is.  Islam is a religion of peace,” he said.

He also said Muslims would not succumb to any intimidation or blackmail from anybody and decried the manner in which non-Muslims often try to stop Muslims from living their way of life. 

He asked: “What is there to be afraid of in Islam? If Muslims want a particular way of life as Muslims, why should anybody try to stop them? But if it is the other way round it is good, but if it is for Muslims, it is bad!  So these are challenges to us.

“We don’t have to be violent in giving responses, but if we have taken note, I have not said a single word on these two issues. But we have done much, much more than anybody else could have done to get the answers, but we are on our way and non-interest banking has come to stay, so we don’t have to fight.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/no-going-back-on-islamic-banking-says-sultan/95895/

Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Akanbiedu(m): 10:29am On Jul 29, 2011
Tell them jare, Saad.

Enough of taking nonsense in the name of tolerance.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Barkono: 10:59am On Jul 29, 2011
Jazakallah Khairan, Brig. General (ttd)., Sa'ad Abubakar III.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Nobody: 11:57am On Jul 29, 2011
I am beginning to love this:

Yes Sir, Mr Sultan,

We are scared of the word "Islam" and we have our reasons.

The history of the Usman Dan Fodio "cleric" and his Jihards across Nigeria especially in the North plus our own witness of what Islam can do to "infidels" is enough for us to be scared.

Who is talking about intimidating who?

Mr Sultan Sir, can you rememer the Kano riots of 1994? When Christians were sluaghtered in hundreds because a preacher Reinhard Bonke was coming to kano to preach? Moslems move around unhindered in the South, why is it so much trouble for Christians in the North?

I served in kaduna State and Zaria to be precise. We had to live under constant fear of violence. One night, there was this eclipse the moon (please, does Allah live in the moon?), moslems came out in their hundreds chanting "La ila la,, " till morning. People were killed that night because they were "infidels".

Can you remember the "Miss World" riots? We are faced with threats and violence everyday of our lives in this country.

Sir, compare the history of violence in Nigeria, how come it is so much in the North where Islam has a strong hold?

Sir, we are not agaisnt Islamic baking: what we are saying is this: Mr CBN governor should have prepared the ground for non Interest banking, and the Islamic Banking can come up with it.

Did he say that i can benefit from it? What happens if I want to deal on pork or liquor? Sir, many Moslems I know take liquor, so what is this hypocrisy all about? We are seeing more Islam in it than Non Interest banking.

If I am told to be sharia compliant before i can deal with an Islamic bank, then I am islamized. I dont believe in Ngieria, the Lord Jesus said of a woman caught in adulery, "let he who has no sin, be the first to cast stone". Who is without sin? An eye for eye will make the whole world blind.

My concern is Christians in the North: but we are getting to a point where you will have your Islamic republic. Where people will be subjected to traditions of the dark ages.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Indirah(m): 12:10pm On Jul 29, 2011
What gives this mullah the right to pronounce what form of banking "there is no going back on"

Is he a banking regulator?

If we permit these Islamist rats, very soon the lines between Mosque and State Institutions will blur
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jul 29, 2011
Indirah?:

What gives this mullah the right to pronounce what form of banking "there is no going back on"

Is he a banking regulator?

If we permit these Islamist rats, very soon the lines between Mosque and State Institutions will blur

What exactly are you talking about? Bros, to every "true" Moslem, there is no line between the Mosque and the State Institution. it is either Islam is in Charge orm there will be violence. This is what this fight is all about. It is an 'insult" for "infidel" Jonathan rule the "believers". Have you ever heard of born to rule? Do you know that Sanusi have brought back the Arabic inscription into our currency notes? have you seenm the shape of our National Assembly?

Islam is a very big problem but we are only playing safe by denying yet. Yet, playing safe will never make us safe.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Barkono: 1:01pm On Jul 29, 2011
One thing I despise about Nigerian xtians is, they are cowards and so shall they remain.
BTW, who says the word "infidel" is referring to xtians. I know xtians are true believers of God and Jesus christ which the muslims believe too in. If "infidel" is something you arrogate to yourself, well, so be it. The Sultan has said what he wants to say, and if your cowardness will allow you, go to court. I think that is where peace loving people seek redress? If not, show violence.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by KnowAll(m): 1:06pm On Jul 29, 2011
[size=18pt]I think the sultan of Sokoto should keep to Islamic affairs and stop putting his mouth on political or economic affairs. At the last count, if I may recollect the Sultan of Sokoto is still below the Governor of Sokoto State and gets paid a stipend by the State Governor.

How Sokoto state got co-joined with Borno State I don’t know, is the Sultan saying he knows more than the Governor of Borno State who happens to be the Chief Security officer of the state or better still the Emir of Maiduguri.

Don’t the Sultan know that by removing the military from Maiduguri, the Boko Haramites who are presently restricted to the NE would run amok all over the country, bombing anywhere that catches their fancy, is that what the sultan wants, I am surprise an ex Military man can be calling for such retrogressive strategy, I beg to differ.   

At least for now,  No Nigerian with a bit of common sense would venture or go near Maiduguri for any business or pleasure, does the Sultan want the whole country to become a pariah place where even Lagos, Ekiti , Bayelsa and many other middle-belt and Southern States would all become a no go area. 

I think the Sultan should restrict himself to his own domain, he should realise the caliphate system died the day this nation became a republic in October 1st 1960[/size]
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by REPSNIG: 1:12pm On Jul 29, 2011
Barkono:

One thing I despise about Nigerian xtians is, they are cowards and so shall they remain.

Because in your warped world view, violence = bravery. I know that is what Islam teaches you, Heeeediot.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by BIGERBOY1: 1:15pm On Jul 29, 2011
if CAN had kept quite and let experts analyze and debate the islamic banking concept, the sultan would have na reason to wade in.

I admire his sense of priorities unlike CAN, first he debunked the sharia council's violence stance then put foward his position. compare this with 'no one has monopoly over violence', common CAN should learn to speak with sence of leadership.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Xmind1: 1:57pm On Jul 29, 2011
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by houvest: 2:25pm On Jul 29, 2011
The Sultan made some good points. The Muslims should do some soul searching and find out why people hate the word Islam. We are not against Interest free banking. But why call it Islamic banking against the Constitution. Interest free transactions started in the Bible and is more a Judaic practice than Islamic. So why hijack it as Islamic? His other point that the violence in the NE was not all caused by BM is true. Politicians are using the name 'Boko Haram' to try to intimidate GEJ but still it is a Northern agenda or rather of some northern politicians whether it is BM or not and so falls under the issues he should ask JNI to adress. Again saying that violence is not the solution but negotiation seems to say that people should start violence so they can be called for negotiation. Is he saying that the C-in-C should fold his hands when his Nation is threatened like this and call the perpetrators to the table as a first measure. NO. Let the Army do its job. Negotiation should come later when the perpetrators realise that they cannot use intimidation to get their way. If negotiation were so important to them, why did they not bring their grievances first to GEJ for negotiation before resorting to violence? Why can they not submit to the wishes of Allah and allow Jonathan to rule. Why fight for Allah. The Sultan must remind his subjects the teachings of Allah that promotes submission to His will. HO-HA.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Barkono: 2:27pm On Jul 29, 2011
@ REP S NIG
You don't know what Islam thought me then. You are the coward I was referring to from the other divide. I and millions of my type are the majority in the middle. I also believe there are extreme (smaller) percentage on both sides. You inclusive. The sultan made an innocent statement, which first of all condemns extremism, through his secretary general, lateef adegbite. All of a sudden CAN exploded, with all sorts of abuse in the books. You didn't see what was wrong with that. It is Islam that is a topical issue. The actions of a very few, like you on either sides cannot be used to judge a majority of us in the middle. I have taken time to read the holy bible right from my secondary school days and there is no where violence is preached. So also is the holy qur'an. Take time to go through it please. I shall leave you with a most compelling commentary on euronews, that will guide us: Breivik and Bin Laden, extreme at both ends http:///n8gPor #Breivik
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jul 29, 2011
Barkono:

@ REP S NIG
You don't know what Islam thought me then. You are the coward I was referring to from the other divide. I and millions of my type are the majority in the middle. I also believe there are extreme (smaller) percentage on both sides. You inclusive. The sultan made an innocent statement, which first of all condemns extremism, through his secretary general, lateef adegbite. All of a sudden CAN exploded, with all sorts of abuse in the books. You didn't see what was wrong with that. It is Islam that is a topical issue. The actions of a very few, like you on either sides cannot be used to judge a majority of us in the middle. I have taken time to read the holy bible right from my secondary school days and there is no where violence is preached. So also is the holy qur'an. Take time to go through it please. I shall leave you with a most compelling commentary on euronews, that will guide us: Breivik and Bin Laden, extreme at both ends http:///n8gPor #Breivik

Bros, one obvious thing we cant ignore is that extreme percentage on your side than our side. It is not only in Nigeria, all over the waorld as of today, Islam is known for terrorism. The number of unrest in Nikgeria in the name of God is much more on your side than our side. I lived in Abuja, every morning this Moslem preacher will start by 5am to preach against Christianity and the Christ. It never bordered su, for we know who we beleive in. Yet, that a Danish cartoonist did a cartton thatn mentioned Mohammed, churches were burnt and people were killed in Nigeria. What are they teaching you?
How did Islam come to Nigeria? How did Prophet Mohammed spread Islam? Was it not by the Sword?

How did Usman Dan Fodio spread islam in Nigeria? When will Islam stop this blood shedding? Nigeria is soaked with blood of the Innocent slaughtered in the name of "God". It is a sahme.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by T9ksy(m): 3:53pm On Jul 29, 2011
noblezone:

How did Usman Dan Fodio spread islam in Nigeria? When will Islam stop this blood shedding? Nigeria is soaked with blood of the Innocent slaughtered in the name of "God". It is a sahme.

@ bolded, when we split the country up then the sultan and his followers can have all the islamic banking they cherished.

How about we split up this dumb contraption?
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by aspabay(m): 4:15pm On Jul 29, 2011
Sa’ad Abubakar, sultan or whatever you are called, shame on you
For doing and saying nothing without heating up the polity, shame on you!
To all who see their fellows kill in the name of religion and yet blame it on others, shame on you.
To you who consistently refuse to condemn the bombing and yet claim that your religion is a religion of peace, shame on you.
To GEJ who was remain incapacitated, clueless and docile just like his predecessor, shame on you
To NSCIA, JNI and all such organization who are not ready to do anything to fight poverty and illiteracy, but are ready to shed their last drop of blood to defend a matter of policy, shame on you
To Aboki Sanusi Lamido, just like Sani Yerima, you know this country is volatile, good intentions can easily be misinterpreted, yet you choose to create confusion, hatred and violence, shame on you. All blood that has been shed all will be shed will be on your neck. Posterity will catch up with you.
And to you, Lugard shame on you posthumously, you forced this marriage.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Barkono: 4:17pm On Jul 29, 2011
@ NOBLEZONE
Have you took time to read my post ? Here is a raging fire and people of peace are looking for ways to douse it, and you are here telling us "it is more on (islam) side". Are we in a competition?
Before Usman Fodio, there were KNIGHT TEMPLARS in europe, which is what the terrorist of Norway represent. Did you care to read about them? OK, if that is too advance for you, because you are lazy to read more about your religion, what about the SLAVE TRADERS, that came with the Bible of deceit on one hand and MIRROR on the other? They carted away our forefathers in sardine like manner, and sold them to slavery. To make matter worst, they renounced slavery in the 17th century, instead of bringing them back to the spot where they picked them, to reconcile with their families, they dumped them on Islands.
Who cares if an imam is disturbing your peace in your rat-hole (Nyanya, Masaka), FCT. Relocate or report the imam to the nearest police station.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Chyz2: 4:35pm On Jul 29, 2011
DIdn't know the sultan of sokoto was the president of nigeria. undecided
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Musiwa42: 4:51pm On Jul 29, 2011
like i said, the issue is to change the tax law. state should be the one who collect all taxes now.  that way state would not feel cheated.  Islam does not support cheating your brother. And if christian feel cheated over Islamic banking because interest free banking means no taxes.   While you dont expect banks in imo state to pay taxes and someone who is in bauchi collect that taxes.   if you dont change the taxes law.it means you are breaking even Islamic law

That would not be fair. Even Islam  is against unfair treatment to others from what i know. so even to keep in line with Islamic law. the taxes law in nigeria would have to be change, so that only state would collect taxes. look there is no way northerner will pay taxes to azikiwe goodluck.

Like i said to make life easy for northerners. remove edo,delta and Yorubas , this una fight na big one.

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRe2qWfhsdZR_nWAYNPkI07dYsjhK9mvzV1lzk3GLOqM2gc8Tvo[/img]
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Akanbiedu(m): 5:14pm On Jul 29, 2011
Did Fodio spread Islam in NIGERIA?
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Lovine: 6:06pm On Jul 29, 2011
If Islam is PEACE why do some Muslims in the MIDDLE East and North Africa flee to Europe and US instead of Iran, Saudi, etc when they thought they are not safe?
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Biggie9: 6:28pm On Jul 29, 2011
shame on u sultan. afterall i heard u were always on beer and pepper soup wen u were in jos barracks, dats b4 obj talked u into accepting the sultanship. am sure u must have secretly taken one of those ur green bottles b4 u made d statement. pls keep quite!
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by JJrawling: 7:04pm On Jul 29, 2011
@Barkono, May that your stupid allah blast your head,aboki sanusi head and your SALtan.Since you have the effrontery to call Christians cowards .Just wait till your madness and that of your unfed almajiris start another fight in that you wretched North and see how we SHALL fight you even in your mosque.We are now ready for you.
Personally,I will make sure that I killed 10 mallams in any where I am any time you kill any Christian again.
As for your so called sultan who condones evil and who is reputed to be a heavy drunk and igbo addict and almajiri Sanusi who Jesus Christ want to use to help us actualize our dream of breaking Nigeria,may God help him to do so.
Take this in to your almajiri skull:ISLAMIC BANKING CAN NEVER BE IN NIGERIA, ISLAM MY FOOT.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by deadie(m): 7:06pm On Jul 29, 2011
He said Islame is a Religion of Piss. I totally agree.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by congoshine(m): 7:12pm On Jul 29, 2011
Barkono:

@ REP S NIG
Lord Congoshine along with other moderate traditionalists/religio-skeptics tends to agree somewhat with Barkono.

Name calling never helps anyone. Lets not think of the worst in each other ,but respect & love one another.

If its not Christins vs Muslim or North vs South,it'll be Igbo vs Yoruba . There's always a reason to hate the other.

I personally believe all the riots and otehr problems in the north are more of a reflection of the failure of our security apparatus and less of an ethnic,tribal issue.

The aboki/Almajiri (excuse my french) going to destroy life and property with reckless abandon shows they have no due regard to the state. Although we can trace the origin of their misgivings to religion,the state should be well placed to handle such unrests whenever it rears its ugly head.

Now to the revered Sultan,he has indeed spoken well,but i will advise he doesn't get involved in political/economic issues as they are beyond his pay grade. If its interest free banking,then he should know better than to get involved. the questions he has posed should be enough.

The sultan shouldnt be trading words with incompetent religious/political leaders .
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Barkono: 7:17pm On Jul 29, 2011
Thank you my brother @ Congoshine
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Ess: 7:19pm On Jul 29, 2011
JJ-rawling:

@Barkono, May that your silly allah blast your head,aboki sanusi head and your SALtan.Since you have the effrontery to call Christians cowards .Just wait till your madness and that of your unfed almajiris start another fight in that you wretched North and see how we SHALL fight you even in your mosque.We are now ready for you.
Personally,I will make sure that I killed 10 mallams in any where I am any time you kill any Christian again.
As for your so called sultan who condones evil and who is reputed to be a heavy drunk and igbo addict and almajiri Sanusi who Jesus Christ want to use to help us actualize our dream of breaking Nigeria,may God help him to do so.
Take this in to your almajiri skull:ISLAMIC BANKING CAN NEVER BE IN NIGERIA, ISLAM MY FOOT.

The best answer to a fool is silence as they say, pls brothers don't react/respond to this post.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Barkono: 7:20pm On Jul 29, 2011
For those who are still sitting on the fence over non - interest islamic/sharia banking, here is food for thought: EDITORIAL | Enough of Religious Bigotry Please: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/enough-of-religious-bigotry-please/95889/#.TjLFYQbfkLo.tweet
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Arrowman(m): 7:25pm On Jul 29, 2011
Why shouldnt we be afraid of islam,while all islam world are either in one conflict or the other shame to all muslims its a pity that you called ur selves holy followers but yet do not emulate ur prophet.and as for the sultan its not a suprise to hear or read him supporting both BH and IB in nig.cos he only wants to gain fame from his followers who knew nothin but commiting crimes.Bunch of illitrates
congoshine:

Lord Congoshine along with other moderate traditionalists/religio-skeptics tends to agree somewhat with Barkono.

Name calling never helps anyone. Lets not think of the worst in each other ,but respect & love one another.

If its not christina vs Muslim or North vs South,it'll be Igbo vs Yoruba . There's always a reason to hate the other.

I personally believe all the riots and otehr problems in the north are more of a reflection of the failure of our security apparatus and less of an ethnic,tribal issue.

The aboki/Almajiri (excuse my french) going to destroy life and property with reckless abandon shows they have no due regard to the state. Al though we can trace the origin of their misgivings to religion,the state should be well placed to handle such unrests whenever it rears its ugly head.

Now to the revered Sultan,he has indeed spoken well,but i will advise he doesn't get involved in political/economic issues as they are beyond his pay grade. If its interest free banking,then he should no better than to get involved. the questions he has posed should be enough.

The sultan shouldnt be trading words with incompetent religious/political leaders .
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Abayomin70(m): 7:41pm On Jul 29, 2011
sincerely speaking i hate my dear country y cant u name d bank like dis NON INTEREST BANK OF NIGERIA instead of naming it islamic bank.GOD shall judge everybody accordin to is hand work.Bleep sanusi,Bleep d idiots dat even pass d bill,Bleep dat sultan of sokoto,Bleep all d supot islamic bankin
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 29, 2011
It is time we tell the Sultan to shut up. He should be concerned about taking his responsibility to educate his followers(the Boko Harams, fanatics, etc) to stop killing people before I would even listen to what he say.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Dodola: 7:56pm On Jul 29, 2011
The issue of islamic bank is somewhat misrepresented, Sanusi has tried to lay it properly, whatever name it is called should not matter. I however take serious exceptions to the comments of the Sultan, he is not in government at any level and should not say a Government would-be policy cannot but be actualisedThese are the types of utterances that causes trouble, if the owners of the bank fail to meet the necessary criteria now and they do not get to set-up the bank. Boko Haram people will say it was deliberate and can start another spate of violence.

If Nigeria needs to bulkanise, let us do it peacefully, Southern Sudan is free as a country today, so if we think Nigeria cannot break we are really, acting like the proverbial ostrich burying it's head in the sand. We are a Titanic destined to sink.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sokoto APC Governorship Aspirant Defects To PDP / APC Loses More Supporters To PDP In Jigawa / GEJ Will Use Chief Of Army Staff To Retain Power-APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.