Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,225 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records (3364 Views)

Why Femi Falana Was Not Made A Minister - Sahara Reporters / Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars / FOI Request For Rauf Aregbesola's Medical Records (Osun State Governor) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by Kobojunkie: 9:59pm On Jul 31, 2011
[size=13pt]Anxiety In Ferma As Falana Demands Financial Records[/size]

The first major test of the recently passed Freedom of Information Act is unfolding as radical Lagos lawyer, Femi Falana, has demanded for record of total disclosure of all disbursement of fuel levy collected by the Federal Roads Maintenance Agency, FERMA, since 2007.

In a letter to the FERMA Chairman dated July 14, 2011, Falana said in order to ensure transparency in the utilization of the funds at its disposal, the organisation the Act establishing the agency required it to periodically publish its disbursement in the media but the organisation has continued to breach this provision since 2007.

Falana disclosed that he is making the demand for publication of FERMA’s account books in accordance with the provisions of Section 11 of the Freedom of Information Act 2011 and threatened to drag the FERMA Board to court if they fail to accede to his request within seven days of the receipt of the demand letter.
“It would be recalled that following the incessant fuel hike under the former Olusegun Obasanjo Administration the Federal Government amended the Federal Roads Maintenance Agency Act to provide for the collection of 5% users’ charge on pump price of petrol and diesel. Specifically, section 14(h) of the Federal Roads Maintenance Agency (Amendment) Act 2007 provides as follows: “5% user’s charge on pump price of petrol, diesel and of which 40% will accrue to FERMA and 60% to be utilized by the established State Roads Maintenance Agencies”

“In order to ensure transparency in the utilization and disbursement of the said fund Section 2 of the Act enjoins the Board to ‘cause the publication of its funds under section 14 (h) of this section to be utilized by the established State Roads Maintenance Agencies and its disbursement in the electronic and print media from time to time’.

‘In utter breach of the aforesaid law the Board has neither caused the publication in the media of the disbursement of the fund to the State Roads Maintenance Agencies since July 25, 2007 when the law came into force. You will agree with us that there is no justification for the violation of the law having regard to the state of disrepair of most roads in the country.

“In the light of the foregoing, we are compelled to demand information on the total fund collected so far as well as the detailed account of the utilization and disbursement made to the road maintenance agencies of the states of the Federation. You may also wish to refer us to publications of disbursement made by the FERMA Board in the circumstances.

“Take notice that this request is anchored on Section 11 of the Freedom of Information Act 2011. Consequently, if you do not accede to our request within seven days of the receipt of this letter we shall not hesitate to initiate legal proceedings to compel disclosure of the information and prosecution of those who are found to have violated the law”.

Nigerian Pilot on Sunday gathered that the letter from Falana, who is the President of the West African Bar Association, WABA, is already causing ripples at the FERMA headquarters as the officials are at a loss over how to meet the demand.

It was gathered that not that the seven days notice has expired the officials are bracing up for a legal battle with Falana where they are banking to latch on to technicalities to frustrate publication of the disbursements of the Agency since 2007.

http://nigerianpilot.com/?q=content/anxiety-ferma-falana-demands-financial-records
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by CyberG: 3:37am On Aug 01, 2011
^^ Good one KoboJ. I used to think you are M but now, I hear you are Tr.O?
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by koruji(m): 3:48am On Aug 01, 2011
Good first use of the FOI.

Let's see if they will paddy-paddy to rubbish the law AGAIN!

The first major test of the recently passed Freedom of Information Act is unfolding as radical Lagos lawyer, Femi Falana, has demanded for record of total disclosure of all disbursement of fuel levy collected by the Federal Roads Maintenance Agency, FERMA, since 2007.
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by Kobojunkie: 3:53am On Aug 01, 2011
CyberG:

^^ Good one KoboJ. I used to think you are M but now, I hear you are Tr.O?

HUH?? What does the article have to do with your idea of my person  shocked shocked shocked shocked I hope I do not owe you too oooO!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by CyberG: 4:04am On Aug 01, 2011
^^LOL. . .Big big YES! You owe me big time! grin grin . . .but that will be another conversation so this discussion can stay on track.

Personally, I want to see the FERMA financial records. . .those thieves have been hiding their thiefry since 2007!  angry angry
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by BigMeat2: 4:57pm On Aug 01, 2011
This is a good start.
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by sonyvaio(f): 5:36pm On Aug 01, 2011
If an ordinary Nigerian, perhaps a lecturer from Rufus Giwa Polytechnic made this request, would FERMA panic? undecided
Just asking
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by EvilBrain1(m): 5:41pm On Aug 01, 2011
Don't worry. The feedeefee people will find a way to frustrate any interference with their money-stealing business. The law isn't worth the paper it's printed on if nobody enforces it.

Just like the wage bill, GEJ probably didn't understand the full implications when he signed it. Once he realizes that the law could embarass him and his party people, that will be the end of FOI.
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by chines4(m): 5:51pm On Aug 01, 2011
Nice one, will equally want to know why Onitsha Owerri  dual express project is still on going for more than 12years now
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by tlops(m): 6:07pm On Aug 01, 2011
They will Amend it!
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by sirt1(m): 6:11pm On Aug 01, 2011
@OP,

Good one. hope the effort will not be frustrated.

Also, can we demand for how the allocation to power sector had bn disbursed and spent?
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by greyBERRY: 6:42pm On Aug 01, 2011
Nice one, but I believe there is maxim in law, that a law or act cannot take retrospective effect. That is you cannot make law today to punish an offence that was committed yesterday. I stand to be corrected wink undecided
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by Ficco(m): 6:55pm On Aug 01, 2011
I hope the lawyer gets to the conclusive end of this FOI demand, no matter should be swept under the carpet this time around, Nigerians have suffered a lot wit the constant bad roads & incessant accidents happening on highways.
angry
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by Donmeca(m): 7:54pm On Aug 01, 2011
greyBERRY:

Nice one, but I believe there is maxim in law, that a law or act cannot take retrospective effect. That is you cannot make law today to punish an offence that was committed yesterday. I stand to be corrected wink undecided

An attempt at correcting u. d FOI law is not meant to punish but to seek and obtain info. The punishment for offenses like embezzlement/diversion of public funds has been there all dis while. If u mean that FERMA is at liberty to say "no, d info u want is on what happened before d passage and signage of d law", u are still wrong by my own judgment.
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by popoyeh(m): 7:59pm On Aug 01, 2011
Big Meat:

This is a good start.

Very good one.
Nonetheless, we shouldn't get hyped up over this until something positive emerges. Lets wait to see their response. If this is successful, then we should poise to witness as skeletons of several years, shut in the cupboards, wardrobes and closets of the high and mighty will begin to become publicized.
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by rethink: 8:22pm On Aug 01, 2011
@grey berry

FOI is not a law that would be used in Jailing anyone on Corruption. We should be educated about the country we call ours instead of watching those Gay p0rn0grarphic movies.
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by tofeenab(m): 8:31pm On Aug 01, 2011
Nice work Falana! We should also turn our searchlight to The state governors. Lets First have their Last five years Audited Accounts made public! They are supposed to be accountable to the citizenry
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by meexteriox(m): 8:45pm On Aug 01, 2011
I trust FERMA - they would rather go to court than release the financial records as requested.
They would latch on the slow Nigerian judicial system and frustrate his effort up to Supreme court.
Infact, i see this case still on till the year 2020, grin grin grin
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by andyanders: 1:03am On Aug 02, 2011
Falana, Good one. They must publish from 2007. Gham
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by happyday: 8:11am On Aug 02, 2011
hMM,A Nice start for such a bill as controversial as the FOI BILL.Pray the bill serves its intended purpose!
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by camaldina(m): 10:15am On Aug 02, 2011
I am happy Nigeria still have some1 like falana. Thumb up 4u Bros!
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by striker07(m): 10:40am On Aug 02, 2011
Good one from Mr Femi Falana.
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by RexyDon(m): 7:12pm On Aug 02, 2011
Gani, had gone down d 6 feet, Such a man would be better for the matter on ground. But good news is that Falana's still alive to pursue the cause of justice. But I'm wallowing in doubt to see FERMA unfold the records. The sluggish judicial system shall see them through.
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by nwaofunne: 7:59pm On Aug 02, 2011
MAKE $75 PER WEEK *4 COMPANYS

i want all my christian brothers and sister to benefit from on going recruitment . four company s that want to sit they establishment in Nigeria and require the service of 100 worker to work on line ,on part time bases .FOUR OF THE COMPANY WILL BE LOOKING FORWARD TO SEE THAT EVERY ONE THAT PARTICIPATED IN THIS WORK WILL BE EMPLOYED WHEN THEY FINALLY ARRIVE , IMAGINE YOU WORKING WITH THE 4 AND MAKEING $75 PER COMPANY PER WEEK WHICH IS #11250*4. MY DEAR THIS GODS ANSWER TO YOUR PRAYER , THEY IS NOT REFERRAL PROGRAM , OR INVESTMENT PROGRAM THIS A JOB VACANCY YOU RE PAID FOR YOUR WORK ANY BODY THAT WANT TO ASPIRE HIGH IN LIFE COULD JOIN THE JOB IS FOR ANY ONE PASTORS, STUDENTS WORKERS , ANY BODY THAT HAS EMAIL ADDRESS WHO KNOW HOW TO REPLY EMAIL IS QUALIFY FOR THIS JOB

THE WORK ,IS ALL ABOUT HELPING THEM TO SURVEY THE NIGERIAN MARKET , AND WHAT NIGERIA FEEL ABOUT THEY PRODUCT , YOU WILL BE PAID WITH CHECK WHICH YOU CAN CASH INTO YOUR LOCAL ACCT , WE HAVE 20PEOPLE WORKING WITH THE COMPANY WHO CAN TESTIFY THEY RE OUR CHURCH MEMBERS

TO JOIN NOW PAY #2000 TO GTB

ACCT NAME; NWAOFUNNE TONY

ACCT NO;000 3466448

SEND YOUR PAYMENT DETAIL INCLUDING YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS,DATE OF PAYMENT PHONE NO TO 08069008688, THIS IS TO GET YOUR FORM AND SEND YOU YOUR KIT TO GET STARTED , REMEMBER A CODE WILL SEND TO TO AVOID SCAMMERS DONT PLAY WITH THIS OPPORTUNITY

BE BLESS AS I SEE YOU ON TOP
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by Nobody: 8:20pm On Aug 02, 2011
nwaofunne:

i want all my christian brothers and sister to benefit from on going recruitment . four company s that want to sit they establishment in Nigeria and require the service of 100 worker to work on line ,on part time bases .FOUR OF THE COMPANY WILL BE LOOKING FORWARD TO SEE THAT EVERY ONE THAT PARTICIPATED IN THIS WORK WILL BE EMPLOYED WHEN THEY FINALLY ARRIVE , IMAGINE YOU WORKING WITH THE 4 AND MAKEING $75 PER COMPANY PER WEEK WHICH IS #11250*4. MY DEAR THIS GODS ANSWER TO YOUR PRAYER , THEY IS NOT REFERRAL PROGRAM , OR INVESTMENT PROGRAM THIS A JOB VACANCY YOU RE PAID FOR YOUR WORK ANY BODY THAT WANT TO ASPIRE HIGH IN LIFE COULD JOIN THE JOB IS FOR ANY ONE PASTORS, STUDENTS WORKERS , ANY BODY THAT HAS EMAIL ADDRESS WHO KNOW HOW TO REPLY EMAIL IS QUALIFY FOR THIS JOB

I just had to comment when i saw this. Please either take this post to the right section or just don't come on at all. Which kind of legitimate recruitment requires someone to pay money to get a job? Even if unemployment is so rampant in Nigeria, it doesn't mean people should be taken for fools. In fact you even had guts to come on here and give your account number. I have heard of so many scams like this that it pisses me off

THE WORK ,IS ALL ABOUT HELPING THEM TO SURVEY THE NIGERIAN MARKET , AND WHAT NIGERIA FEEL ABOUT THEY PRODUCT , YOU WILL BE PAID WITH CHECK WHICH YOU CAN CASH INTO YOUR LOCAL ACCT , WE HAVE 20PEOPLE WORKING WITH THE COMPANY WHO CAN TESTIFY THEY RE OUR CHURCH MEMBERS

ACCT NO;000 3466448

SEND YOUR PAYMENT DETAIL INCLUDING YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS,DATE OF PAYMENT PHONE NO TO 08069008688, THIS IS TO GET YOUR FORM AND SEND YOU YOUR KIT TO GET STARTED , REMEMBER A CODE WILL SEND TO TO AVOID SCAMMERS DONT PLAY WITH THIS OPPORTUNITY

Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by Nobody: 8:21pm On Aug 02, 2011
nwaofunne:

ACCT NO;000 3466448

I just had to comment when i saw this. Please either take this post to the right section or just don't come on at all. Which kind of legitimate recruitment requires someone to pay money to get a job? Even if unemployment is so rampant in Nigeria, it doesn't mean people should be taken for fools. In fact you even had guts to come on here and give your account number. I have heard of so many scams like this that it pisses me off
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by okeyxyz(m): 9:30pm On Aug 02, 2011
nwaofunne:

i want all my christian brothers and sister to benefit from on going recruitment . four company s that want to sit they establishment in Nigeria and require the service of 100 worker to work on line ,on part time bases .FOUR OF THE COMPANY  WILL BE LOOKING FORWARD TO SEE THAT EVERY ONE THAT PARTICIPATED IN THIS WORK WILL BE EMPLOYED WHEN THEY FINALLY ARRIVE , IMAGINE YOU WORKING WITH THE 4 AND MAKEING $75 PER COMPANY  PER WEEK  WHICH IS #11250*4. MY DEAR THIS GODS ANSWER TO YOUR PRAYER , THEY IS NOT REFERRAL PROGRAM  , OR INVESTMENT PROGRAM THIS A JOB VACANCY YOU RE PAID FOR YOUR WORK  ANY BODY THAT WANT TO ASPIRE  HIGH IN LIFE COULD JOIN THE JOB IS FOR ANY ONE PASTORS, STUDENTS WORKERS , ANY BODY THAT HAS EMAIL ADDRESS WHO KNOW HOW TO REPLY EMAIL IS QUALIFY FOR THIS JOB   

THE WORK ,IS ALL ABOUT HELPING THEM TO SURVEY THE NIGERIAN MARKET , AND WHAT NIGERIA FEEL ABOUT THEY PRODUCT , YOU WILL BE  PAID  WITH CHECK WHICH YOU CAN CASH INTO YOUR LOCAL ACCT , WE HAVE 20PEOPLE WORKING WITH THE COMPANY WHO CAN TESTIFY THEY RE OUR CHURCH MEMBERS

ACCT NAME; NWAOFUNNE  TONY

ACCT NO;000 3466448

SEND YOUR PAYMENT DETAIL INCLUDING  YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS,DATE OF PAYMENT PHONE NO TO 08069008688, THIS IS TO GET YOUR FORM AND SEND YOU YOUR KIT TO GET STARTED , REMEMBER A CODE WILL SEND TO TO AVOID SCAMMERS DONT PLAY WITH THIS OPPORTUNITY

grin grin chei LWKMD o!!!
surely, this belongs in the jokes section of NL
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by xtremeidea(m): 11:12pm On Aug 02, 2011
Am loving this!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Femi Falana Sends FOI Request For FERMA's Financial Records by DisGuy: 9:15pm On Sep 05, 2011
Any reply? or just lawyer hype

has anyone actually requested/obtained info with the new 'act' ?

(1) (Reply)

Salami's Removal, Ploy To Marginalise The South – Opc / 25 Northerners Arrested In Enugu Get Bail: / OPINION: Politicians Who Are Likely To Become The President Of Nigeria In Future

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.