Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,521 members, 7,823,244 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:26 AM

Can You Get Married Without Love? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can You Get Married Without Love? (3401 Views)

What A Man Did To His Lover Cause She Can't Do Without Love Making / She Got Married Without My Knowledge / Most Of Our Parents Married Without Courtship But They Luv Themselves More That Us Today. Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Get Married Without Love? by Phate07(m): 1:42am On Aug 01, 2011

Can You Get Married Without Love?

Can you get married without the the premise of love?

Is basic tolerance and trust enough for you to involve yourself in the hectic institution known as marriage?
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by Nobody: 2:58am On Aug 01, 2011
lol what a question grin
make u ask all those igbo men wey they spend big money on the heads of young girls in the name of brideprice wether na love or lust wey go make a 68 yr old igbo man marry an 18 yr old girl grin grin grin
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by claremont(m): 6:45am On Aug 01, 2011
Phate07:

Is basic tolerance and trust enough for you to involve yourself in the hectic institution known as marriage?

Basic tolerance and trust has sustained African marriages for ages, love is a misnomer!
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by Mynd44: 7:37am On Aug 01, 2011
Yes of course as long as you both understand each other
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by ijcurt(f): 11:06am On Aug 01, 2011
Phate07:

[/quot
ans = disaster!!!
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by Goldieluks: 11:08am On Aug 01, 2011
Mynd_44:

Yes of course as long as you both understand each other

True.

You can get married without being deeply inlove with that person,but love tends to grow
stronger,with understanding.
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by Pweety4me(f): 11:13am On Aug 01, 2011
I think you all should answer this question personally, marriage is not something ALL of us have experienced so don't say what you think but what you KNOW and can take.

Can you marry someone you don't love so deeply?

R u telling me people marry out of trust & tolerance?

undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by claremont(m): 11:18am On Aug 01, 2011
^^^^
Yes, they do! Our ancestors have been marrying on the basis of mutual compatibility for decades, and their marriages have lasted all through their earthly lives and possibly beyond. The high rate of divorce and singletons in our modern societies today has been proven to be correlated to the so-called "love" culture.
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by Pweety4me(f): 11:22am On Aug 01, 2011
^^^I'm talking about sane people(no offense) i mean people who have chosen whole-heartedly to marry eachother. . .not because of circumstance or being forced by family or running out of time. . . undecided

There is not an increase in divorces because of 'love' abegiii most people don't even know what marriage is and marry for wrong reasons so many answers to that.
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by ijcurt(f): 11:25am On Aug 01, 2011
claremont:

^^^^
Yes, they do! Our ancestors have been marrying on the basis of mutual compatibility for decades, and their marriages have lasted all through their earthly lives and possibly beyond. The high rate of divorce and singletons in our modern societies today has been proven to be correlated to the so-called "love" culture.
i disagree, might have worked in dose days buh doesnt work nowadays. if anyone tries it, disaster is all dey wud get except for divine intervention or wen one chooses to stay n sacrifice one's happiness for d rest of his/her life. im a witness
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by claremont(m): 11:26am On Aug 01, 2011
^^^^
90% of Indian marriages are arranged (no love there), yet they have the lowest divorce rates in the world. It could be that all Indians are insane!
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by ijcurt(f): 11:28am On Aug 01, 2011
claremont:

^^^^
90% of Indian marriages are arranged (no love there), yet they have the lowest divorce rates in the world. It could be that all Indians are insane!
lol
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by pendo89(f): 11:43am On Aug 01, 2011
Yes you can OP

Understand one thing pliz.The very thing that brings you two together is the very thing that will sustain that marriage and also be the very thing that will cause you to go separate ways.

Forced/arranged marriages are still marriages after all, even though thy lack love( maybe it develops in the course of marriage)
A forced marriage will therefore be sustained through force.
If mutual compatibility is the reason for marriage, then you will need exactly that to sustain it.
Lets talk about money now.If that is what enticed you,then you will need cash to sustain that marriage otherwise it goes down the drain.
If you marry out of societal pressure, you will need the society to keep you marriage going. Unfortunately the society will nt always be around to help.

Marriage is just a rite of passage and anything can get you through that rite.Money,Love, Force, Mutual compatibilty,Pressure,Madness.just anything.
So ask yourself which among all those is strong enough to last you through marriage.
cheers.
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by Kslib(m): 10:03pm On Aug 01, 2011
4 me i think if i dnt love u why shld i even dare marry u in the first place.Marriage shld be built on the foundation of love,if not both of u cannot not tolerate each other that's just my opinion. And as 4 indians i think they just tolerate because they dnt want 2 put their parents 2 shame.They just cant stand the pressure
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by Mynd44: 11:33pm On Aug 01, 2011
Marriage should be based on understanding as this covers every other thing
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by Nobody: 1:20am On Aug 02, 2011
claremont:

^^^^

have you ever seen what these people do to their sisters/cousins etc, in the name of HONOR KILLING? no wonder these ladies dont divorce, the ones who DARE are automatically killed or disfigured with acid before they can reach divorce court!

@poster
I couldnt BUT my question to you would be:" what would be the point of wanting to spend the rest of your life with someone you didnt love, to begin with?"
yes, love could grow but that would be considered "convenience" love rather than "i cant live a day without you" kinda love
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by claremont(m): 1:47am On Aug 02, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

have you ever seen what these people do to their sisters/cousins etc, in the name of HONOR KILLING? no wonder these ladies dont divorce, the ones who DARE are automatically killed or disfigured with acid before they can reach divorce court!

@poster
I couldnt BUT my question to you would be:" what would be the point of wanting to spend the rest of your life with someone you didnt love, to begin with?"
yes, love could grow but that would be considered "convenience" love rather than "i cant live a day without you" kinda love
Guy, go and do your research well! Planned marriages has no correlation whatsoever with Honor killings. The main reason for Honor killings in India is the strict rigidity of the Caste system still prevalent in that part of the world, not planned marriages!
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by InkedNerd(f): 2:00am On Aug 02, 2011
@OP: Hmmm, I don't think I could marry someone without love. I mean, I can easily trust someone [not that I'm saying I'm quick to put my trust in someone]. If I can only trust you and tolerate you, then that pretty much means I can marry anyone I know and in reality, that's just not the case. It can trust and tolerate my cousin's friend [just an example] but that doesn't mean that it makes them marriageable.
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by Nobody: 2:23am On Aug 02, 2011
nope. No love and passion just makes marriage a contract
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by Nobody: 2:26am On Aug 02, 2011
claremont:

Guy, go and do your research well! Planned marriages has no correlation whatsoever with Honor killings. The main reason for Honor killings in India is the strict rigidity of the Caste system still prevalent in that part of the world, not planned marriages!

i was just giving you a reason why Indians have a low divorce rate (whether arranged or not)
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by Mynd44: 7:28am On Aug 02, 2011
Did someone say India has the lowest cases? What are the stats based on? Numbers or percentages?
I refuse to believe they have lower divorce cases that Nigeria
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by claremont(m): 7:49am On Aug 02, 2011
^^^
Google is your friend!
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by Phate07(m): 9:17am On Aug 02, 2011

I don't think i would be comfortable living with somebody I didn't love. It would negate the whole issue of marriage and destroy it's santity. I believe it is such marriages that do end in unfaithfulness and eventually, divorce.
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by LongOne1(m): 9:49am On Aug 02, 2011
I can't marry someone I don't have feelings for.

I'll put no stock on love, ‘cos I don't believe I can feel any such thing anymore.

If you call feelings, love, then you have my answer.
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by Mynd44: 11:31am On Aug 02, 2011
claremont:

^^^
Google is your friend!

Hope you know that Nigeria don't document things like that
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by blackwood(m): 6:31pm On Aug 02, 2011
I think tolerance and compatibility is the most important in marriage, though love is important it is very very volatile!
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Aug 02, 2011
^^so is a person married to someone who then falls madly in love with another.
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by DaDoctor: 11:27am On Aug 03, 2011
^^ THIS IS WHERE MOST LADIES HAVE FAILED IT. THAT IS WHY THEY KEEP RUNNING OUT OF MARRIAGE because INFIDELITY SETS IN^^
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by Ranoscky(m): 12:00pm On Aug 03, 2011
I believe in COMPATIBILITY and UNDERSTANDING!

F[b]u[/b]ck love !!!
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by iice(f): 4:16pm On Aug 03, 2011
With a documented understanding yes. Cannot trust people to stand by their words. Very flaky beings.
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by DaDoctor: 12:08pm On Aug 17, 2011
iice:

With a documented understanding yes. Cannot trust people to stand by their words. Very flaky beings.

DEM DON REALLY SHOW U PEPPER WITH THE WORD 'LOVE' OH.

KAI SEE RAESONING NA, DOCUMENTED UNDERSTANDING.

U GO OLD OH!! cool
Re: Can You Get Married Without Love? by MMM2(m): 12:37pm On Aug 17, 2011
what is LOVEangry

(1) (2) (Reply)

No Gf / Am The Most Handsome Dude In Onitsha(picture) Dalu Nu / A Perplexed Virgin.what Could Be His Problem?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.