Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,749 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets (2683 Views)

Manufacturers To Shut Factories Over High Electricity Bills / 22 Vehicle Manufacturers To Move Into Nigeria - Blomberg 22 Vehicle Manufacturer / ACN Leader Pelted With Pure-Water Sachets In Ondo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by PointB: 11:50pm On Aug 01, 2011
Anambra: Pure Water Manufacturers To Pay For Returned Satchets

Anambra wants manufacturers to pay for used water sachets

The Anambra State Government has made it mandatory for manufacturers of packaged water to pay for used plastic water bottles and sachets returned to them by their consumers.

The Commissioner for Environment, Dr. Michael Egbebike, said this in Awka on Saturday at the close of July's statutory sanitation exercise.

Egbebike said the new policy would take effect from Monday, August 1, 2011, and that vendors of sachet water would have to purchase the product only after delivering empty sachets gotten from already consumed product to the wholesalers.

Egbebike explained that the measure was to ensure that empty polythene generated from consumed sachet water did not litter the state and block drainages.

He said that each sachet returned to the dealer would attract N2.50, while small and big bottles of water would be returned for N5 and N10 respectively.

He said, "The good thing about this measure is that we have liaised with the sachet water manufacturers, and they have accepted that the value placed on the polythene will not cause any increase in the price of product.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201107314103334
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by PointB: 11:51pm On Aug 01, 2011
^^^^

I think that's a brilliant idea!
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by ektbear: 1:44am On Aug 02, 2011
Agreed, it is an excellent idea.
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by SouthEast2: 2:01am On Aug 02, 2011
Duh, the manufacturers will simple add on to the price of the water. In Nigeria, the consumer always loses
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by PointB: 6:42am On Aug 02, 2011
South.East:

Duh, the manufacturers will simple add on to the price of the water. In Nigeria, the consumer always loses

read:

He said, "The good thing about this measure is that we have liaised with the sachet water manufacturers, and they have accepted that the value placed on the polythene will not cause any increase in the price of product.
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by ektbear: 8:51am On Aug 02, 2011
Err, it will increase the price. But who cares? Why are we even talking about that? It doesn't matter. The negligible increase in cost (on the order of N2.50, I suppose) won't matter much for the consumer, but the end result is a much cleaner environment.

Much better to incentivize a clean environment in this way rather than the government spending its resources cleaning up after people.
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by Sike(m): 3:04pm On Aug 02, 2011
Supported Idea!
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by real4life: 3:15pm On Aug 02, 2011
PointB:

Anambra: Pure Water Manufacturers To Pay For Returned Satchets

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201107314103334

+1
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by Kay1kay1(m): 3:16pm On Aug 02, 2011
Great idea but will recycling not incur more costs which might be passed on to the consumer? I think clearer incentives must be given to the pure water manufacturers.
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by aljharem3: 3:23pm On Aug 02, 2011
very very good

nice idea, atleast that would clean up the streets abit and also keep it clear
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 3:31pm On Aug 02, 2011
, hope they wont reduce the size sha, lol, ,, ,that's a gud idea
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by Johnpaul2k2(m): 3:41pm On Aug 02, 2011
definitely the price of Pure Water will increase from N5 to N10
all the same, it's a good Move because Pure Water Sachets in Onitsha Contributes 70% Refuses  angry angry angry angry
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by Sicherheit(m): 3:43pm On Aug 02, 2011
Definitely good for the environment.
Good move.
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by proudly9ja(m): 3:52pm On Aug 02, 2011
ekt_bear:

Err, it will increase the price. But who cares? Why are we even talking about that? It doesn't matter. The negligible increase in cost (on the order of N2.50, I suppose) won't matter much for the consumer, but the end result is a much cleaner environment.

Much better to incentivize a clean environment in this way rather than the government spending its resources cleaning up after people.
Are those pure water satchets recyclable?

Secondly, there would have been no problem if manufacturers are made to pay say N1 for every satchet returned. That way, people will have the incentive of returning satchets instead of littering the streets. The problem with this is that because of the Nigerian monetary system, an increase of N1 in the overall price of the pure water (i.e. N6 instead of N5) is not possible as noone uses N1 again. Therefore, an increase in say N1 will lead to pure water sold for N10 or 2 for N15
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by ak47mann(m): 3:55pm On Aug 02, 2011
good idea cool cool
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by HighChief4(m): 3:57pm On Aug 02, 2011
Beautiful. I support this move
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by aquita(m): 4:00pm On Aug 02, 2011
Brilliant idea. Thumbs up for Anambra state Government.
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by chino11(m): 4:10pm On Aug 02, 2011
Good one for great Anambra
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by Rich4god(m): 4:18pm On Aug 02, 2011
Hmmm, See money. So if i use my bicycle going around the town pick pure water leather, i will be a salary earner. Lets say i was able to pick 10000 sachet in a week, dat means i will be paid #25k, Dis na correct job for the jobless.
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by otokx(m): 4:39pm On Aug 02, 2011
This is another way of saying the manufacturers should not make sachet water; real nice.
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by princeonx: 4:42pm On Aug 02, 2011
i wonder why
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by JUO(m): 4:58pm On Aug 02, 2011
good idea
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by Serendipity: 5:11pm On Aug 02, 2011
I live in Anambra.
This Mr Peter Obi is nothing but rudderless and visionless. A messiah turned looter.
We are still battling with this looter's touts, 'ndi Mpiawa azu' (back cainers) and Anambra Sanitation Agency (ASTA), scourge.
This policy is just puerile, quixotic and unenforceable.
A bag of sachet water sells for = 41 - 45 naira {company price, depending on the popularity of the brand}
A sachet = 2.0 - 2.25
Now tell me; how can 2.50 be paid for a sachet of water that sells for say 2.10. This 2.10 covers expenses accrued in the course of production and supply, which is done with vehicles that use gas (especially now that gas is exorbitant)?
Aside: So, if you buy a Viju Milk 100 naira, if you return it, you will be given 110 naira? Laughable and comic.
So in all probability, Obi is just doing us a disservice with his infantile and white horse schemes. Very seriously unserious.
We are indeed cursed in Anambra, pitiable.
Balderdash!
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by ak47mann(m): 5:14pm On Aug 02, 2011
Serendipity:

I live in Anambra.
This Mr Peter Obi is nothing but rudderless and visionless. A messiah turned looter.
We are still battling with this looter's touts, 'ndi Mpiawa azu' (back cainers) and Anambra Sanitation Agency (ASTA), scourge.
This  policy is just puerile, quixotic and unenforceable.
A bag of sachet water sells for = 41 - 45 naira {company price, depending on the popularity of the brand}
A sachet = 2.0 - 2.25
Now tell me; how can 2.50 be paid for a sachet of water that sells for say 2.10. This 2.10 covers expenses accrued in the course of production and supply, which is done with vehicles that use gas (especially now that gas is exorbitant)?
Aside: So, if you buy a Viju Milk 100 naira, if you return it, you will be given 110 naira? Laughable and comic.
So in all probability, Obi is just doing us a disservice with his infantile and white horse schemes. Very seriously unserious.
We are indeed cursed in Anambra, pitiable.
Balderdash!

why cant people appreciate something good when they see it? Obama is right u cant please everybody
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by Rastamann: 5:33pm On Aug 02, 2011
It is a good idea and a way to help tidying up the environment!
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by vitality22(m): 5:34pm On Aug 02, 2011
Oga governor, ride on we are behind you
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by webcam(m): 5:58pm On Aug 02, 2011
Hello nl please get this information across to fresh graduate that there is opportunity in anambra to get paid as banker.picking sachets water pylon in anambra is for Big boys and Girls.all they need is to target where party is talking place
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by Serendipity: 6:05pm On Aug 02, 2011
ak47mann:

why cant people appreciate something good when they see it? Obama is right u cant please everybody
Good my arse! Anything that is good only in comparison with evil is no ood.
And what's is the feasibility and practicability of this hoax? Because that's the most startling and infernal to me.
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by CyberG: 6:08pm On Aug 02, 2011
Good idea!
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by Saecula: 6:40pm On Aug 02, 2011
CyberG:

Good idea!
The problem like someone pointed out, is that it is not enforceable.
What do you think?
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by Ivynwa(f): 6:56pm On Aug 02, 2011
It's a commendable effort to keep the environment clean but the price seems much. I am surprised that nobody is mentioning the fact that some dirty persons with no conscience can reuse dirty old bottles to bottle drinking water for the masses. It's not impossible Pips!

The main issue here is cleanliness, what should be done is to make noise about "No littering" and have adverts and programmes instilling and enforcing the "No littering" clean habit in everybody, that way the environment is clean. This business set up thing looks good but will it really work? Are satchets all the dirts there are to keep away from the environment?
Re: Anambra Wants Manufacturers To Pay For Used Water Sachets by markovnikoff001(m): 7:59pm On Aug 02, 2011
Omo na serious business be dis oh, I go start to dey export pure water satchet from Lagos to Anambra, #smacks lips#

(1) (2) (Reply)

Must Read: We Will Defend Middle Belt:- M.belt Tells Core North / Impersonator Of Igwe Of Agulu Town Sanctioned and Banished! / 6 Projects Lagos Stand To Lose By Voting PDP (jimi Agbaje) In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.