Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,299 members, 7,836,305 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:08 AM

Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers (21337 Views)

No Law Authorise Oyetola And Officials To Bolt Away With N2.9b Vehicles- Osunpdp / Governor Ben Ayade, A Student Of UNICAL, Storms School In His Convoy / Atiku Abubakar Reacts To Lecturers In 'Sex For Marks' Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by InforEduNG: 1:16pm On Sep 07, 2022

As with many of his coworkers, a senior lecturer at the University of Calabar who is impacted by the ongoing Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) strike has taken up taxi driving.

Negotiations between the Federal Government and the ASUU have often come to a standstill since the strike began in February 2022.

The senior educator claimed that in order to get by during difficult times, provide for his family, and fulfill other duties, he had to turn to driving Bolt cabs. He is the head of a renowned department at the University of Calabar, but he does not want his identity shared.

The Vice-Chancellor, Professor Florence Bank Obi, returned from a personal vacation in Chicago, United States, just two days prior to this. Earlier on Tuesday in Abuja, Professor Obi attended a meeting with vice chancellors and provosts to discuss the ASUU strike.

Dr. Anthony Bissong Attah, a former lecturer and president of the UNICAL Post Graduate Students Association, was surprised to see him yesterday when he summoned a Bolt cab to pick him up for a trip.

“Today was a really emotional day for me. To get to an engagement in Calabar this morning, I hired a Bolt cab. The cab driver told me I looked like one of his university colleagues when he came to pick me up.”

“I am familiar with many UNICAL lecturers. Many of my friends and acquaintances from the University were mentioned by this Bolt driver.

The idea that a university don may unwittingly end up working as a cab driver makes me cringe. This is not meant to imply that it is improper for a lecturer to also serve as a chauffeur. Not at all, no. However, I’m worried that a preventable circumstance has forced these instructors into a hastily devised alternate source of income.

“This is really disheartening and irritating. Is it not important for civil and public workers to have several sources of income? That is a topic for a different conversation.

"The overall theme of this discussion is the need to support all of our colleagues in the academic community who are participating in the ongoing university strike. They are enduring extremely unusual economic difficulties.”

The lecturer-turned-driver bemoaned and deeply regretted how he passed up the opportunity to accept a lecturing job in Finland like several of his colleagues, according to Attah, chairman of the Young Progressives Party and recently elected State chairman of IPAC.

This incidence is not unique. On Twitter, netizens have been sharing tales of encountering UNICAL Professors working as cab drivers all throughout state.
https://dailypost.ng/2022/09/06/prolonged-ASUU-strike-forces-unical-lecturer-into-driving-cab/?amp=1
https://www.opinionnigeria.com/strike-turns-unical-lecturers-to-bolt-drivers/

1 Like

Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by smi2022: 1:20pm On Sep 07, 2022
The same lecturer weh fail you for not offing pant, now na u go give Dem 1star rating.. say amen

86 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by Onamaz: 1:24pm On Sep 07, 2022
The same happened to Lawyers when Amechi Locked up the Court while a governor

13 Likes

Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by Cryomancer: 6:20am On Sep 08, 2022
Welcome to Nigeria... A place that defy every logic known to man...

-A place where it's government easily negotiate with terrorists but find it hard to negotiate with lecturers.

-A place where a government media aide is paid 1m monthly while a professor is paid 300k monthly

-A place where government agencies protect criminals but torture the innocent

Nigeria is a mistake that never should have happened..

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by Nobody: 6:20am On Sep 08, 2022
Na hin real hustle be dat...

The lecturing job is just a side hustle...

Same set of lecturers want 100% pay rise, dem no go show for class, only time u will see dem in class is when they are giving student course outline and the recommended text to use, after that maybe once inside examination hall sha and dem no go spend 5min sef , their project student don suffer, dem go call call call before dem submit a chapter, project wey no suppose last 2month, 6month, they are still on it...
U check them in their office, locked.. nobody can caution them, dem get long leg reach senate, enter ASUU, they are there when all the lecturer in the dept were appointed, u give them supervision, u don ridicule them, dem go reassign assistant lecturer to do am..
This same lecturers still wan make FG pay them for 6month of doing their side hustle...

U should check ur brain, if u think ASUU is not a bigger problem than the FG

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by henry4991(m): 6:20am On Sep 08, 2022
angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by mayorjosh(m): 6:21am On Sep 08, 2022
ASUU obviously doesn’t represent what all the lecturers feel atm

4 Likes

Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by Confirm4real(m): 6:21am On Sep 08, 2022
Pikin go chop nah and pay school fees grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by noble71(m): 6:21am On Sep 08, 2022
shocked
It's a pity we found ourselves in this terrible position. Some of this lecturers were use to rig the election of 2015. I believe they have learnt their lessons.

Vote Peter Obi for President.

Meanwhile at a good rate sell your Pi π to us.

12 Likes

Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by AsiwajuJagaban: 6:21am On Sep 08, 2022
Emi Lokan
Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by Sofrosh(f): 6:21am On Sep 08, 2022
Please I need a loan of 40k please guys, I'm going to return it by month.

Reason being that, I need it for an emergency eye operation to reduce the pressure on my eyes caused by Glaucoma. The pains is quite severe and is causing me headache on one side of my brain.

All necessary documents for verification is available, just so you know I'm not trying to scam anybody. I have exhausted all my money on medications and eyes and I will really appreciate whatever help you choose to render to me please.

I'm an old timer here but my main moniker has been banned. I live in Uyo, just incase anyone needs physical verification and all.

1 Like

Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by LiveWithIt: 6:21am On Sep 08, 2022
Same lecturer who refuses to give students 5.0 cgpa will now have to beg the same students to rate them 5star after each ride,
Just do good no man knows tomorrow

83 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by ECASH120: 6:22am On Sep 08, 2022
As a student of that school I want book a ride with My HOD and wait for him to tell me to rate him well

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by sotall(m): 6:22am On Sep 08, 2022
Sapa biting hard grin
Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by Bryan88(m): 6:22am On Sep 08, 2022
Man must wack grin grin grin
Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by fernandoc(m): 6:23am On Sep 08, 2022
The only people enjoying this country are the top government officials.
Government is not designed as an easy route to becoming a multi-millionaire.

1 Like

Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by kennyz247(m): 6:25am On Sep 08, 2022
man must survive
das d logo
Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by EagleNest(m): 6:25am On Sep 08, 2022
This prolonged strike action is very damaging to the physical and mental well-being of both lecturers and student. Govt should please find a solution asap.

3 Likes

Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by Omonieme: 6:25am On Sep 08, 2022
Bolt? Them go drive taxi Las las. Idiots. Imagine always holding the government whose children school overseas with to ransom with the future of the children of the common man. Well, if you're a lecturer here and you need a car for bolt, I've got a super clean Toyota Camry 04, Toyota Camry 2011 and a Hyundai Sonata for sale. I also have a 2001 Toyota Sienna incase you Wan do taxi or interstate transport. Also have a Mazda CX-9 2008, and a Jeep Wrangler for sale. Check my profile and send a DM

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by Kingzy4pep(m): 6:25am On Sep 08, 2022
Not just Unical. Even Uniben lecturers are now full time bolt drivers. Atleast, I've met two personally.

4 Likes

Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by jay7(m): 6:26am On Sep 08, 2022
It is well, we graduate's do more demeaning Job's just to make end's meet. May God heal our land

1 Like

Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by Sucre6: 6:29am On Sep 08, 2022
Bolt driving no good? U know how much bolt drivers rakes in daily

1 Like

Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by Gkemz: 6:29am On Sep 08, 2022
Not only unical. Make dem no hustle make hunger roast them alive.
Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by ufotunang: 6:29am On Sep 08, 2022
Nawaoooo...see what Buhari has caused
Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by ufotunang: 6:30am On Sep 08, 2022
So this is the change and next level lectures and nigerians voted for... nawaoooo
Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by royalfly(m): 6:33am On Sep 08, 2022
Not only uncal. But all universities.. it's not just uber drivers.. many other things. Before the strike alot of lecturers were Uber drivers especially at night to survive. People think lecturers just collect blocking up and down. It's not entirely true.. just in every area of life you find bad people. This does not mean that everybody is bad.

1 Like

Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by Lamom: 6:33am On Sep 08, 2022
Nigeria Education Sector is Finished

Imagine with all these issues and some idiots will still vote in APC come 2023 just because of tribe.

Vote Wisely, Vote Peter Obi come 2023 for a better Nigeria!!
Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by KingRSHD2(m): 6:34am On Sep 08, 2022
Fastest way to make money is to become a bolt driver na so who lecturer help??
Re: Strike Turns UNICAL Lecturers To Bolt Drivers by Fuckyoumod: 6:34am On Sep 08, 2022
Onamaz:
The same happened to Lawyers when Amechi Locked up the Court while a governor
Amaechi did not lock up the court, it was PDP the power that be as at then (GEJ and Wike) that manipulated the Judiciary in other to impeach Hon. Amaechi as Gov.

Rivers people said NO! You can't do that to our Gov. Otherwise does a Gov have the constitutional right to lock up another arm of Government?

Please stop misleading people here with disinformation and falsehood.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oil Subsidy Removal, Booby Trap For Buhari – Bamidele / Okowa Gifts State Funds To Civil Servants To Vote PDP Guber Candidate - Soyombo / Senegalese President, Faye Visits Tinubu In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.