Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,028 members, 7,818,034 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:40 AM

Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course (3559 Views)

Gov. Fashola Plans To Defect To PDP / Fashola Plans Low Key Inauguration / Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by Boyoorisha: 10:48am On Aug 10, 2011
http://brfashola.org/2011/08/10/from-the-press-plans-for-inner-city-roads-on-course-fashola/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BabatundeRajiFashola+%28LAGOS+UPDATE%29

Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN) on Tuesday stated that plans for the inner city roads in the state is on course, stating that the big challenge is however funding to continue to keep the contractors at work and expand the scope of work that they are doing.

Governor Fashola spoke with State House Correspondents at Lagos House, Ikeja who wanted to know why he has decided to conduct on the spot assessment of inner city roads after he embarked on an inspection of Akerele Street in Surulere. The Governor added that it is the State Government that is working on the roads and there is a need to keep track and focus on the election promises which featured prominently inner city roads.

“I am just doing spot inspections to see that progress is on course and that we can finish them depending on the capacity and speed of the contractor and also depending on the big challenge which is funding. We need more money to continue to keep the contractor at work and expand the scope of work that we are doing”, the Governor stressed.

The Governor informed that currently, work has been completed on Adeniran Ogunsanya while it is on-going on many of the other projects like the Akerele road expansion, Bode Thomas, Ogunlana Drive just as plans are being concluded to start work in Aguda, Adetola, Brown, Sanusi and many of the roads inside Aguda.

“We are already looking at some inner roads in Agege. Work has started in Agege, work is going on in Orile. We are also looking at inner roads in Ikorodu while Lagos Area Metropolitan Transport Agency (LAMATA) is also working on Amodu Ojikutu Street, Ibiyinka Olorunnimbe Close and Abagbon Close in Victoria Island and Iju road in Ifako Ijaiye”, the Governor stated.

The Governor explained that the inner city roads will be the focus of his administration as it tries to complete those other roads that it has started work on during the last term of the administration, adding that he has decided to conduct on the spot inspections to see that progress of work is on course and when work can be completed on them depending on the speed and capacity of the contractors.

He further explained that he was going out to assess progress on the inner roads that the State is working on recalling that during the last electioneering campaigns, some of the issues that came to the fore was that while Government has focused on some roads, it has not focused on inner roads.

“My visit last week to Badejo Kalesanwo Street was to keep track and keep focus on those election promises and electoral issues which was inner roads and to which I am committed and which I also dealt with in my inaugural address”, the Governor stated.

“At this moment, we are doing about 13 roads in Mushin and Idi Araba and that road, we inspected last week (Badejo Kalesanwo) is one of the roads in Mushin. Its construction is being disturbed by the inappropriate location of the Ladipo Mushin Police Station which had consequential drainage impact as well. We have to relocate the Police Station now and find alternative land for it because it is sitting on part of the 19 metres width of the road. We have told the contractor to start work from the other end so that by the time it gets to that end should have moved that Police Station”, the Governor explained.

The Governor said he was at Akerele Road to inspect the culvert across the Akerele Canal because there was some flooding problem there during the July 10 heavy rainfall, which was caused by the inadequacy of the culvert to discharge the velocity of water, stating that, oday, we now have culverts of about 1.5 by 1.7 metres width and in a set of three which would now allow bigger flow of water in Akerele”, he added.

Giving an update on what his administration has so far done to give vent to the various directives it gave on people who built on drainage lines, the Governor said some work has started, stressing that it entails planning before embarking on such removal projects.

“Some work has already started but you know that even in demolition exercise, it is a project for the demolition team which must therefore plan on how to embark on it. Are we going to evacuate the rubbles after demolition or leave the rubble at the same spot and allow it go back into the drainage and so on. Those questions must be answered and planned”

“You must understand also that in the process you have to hire people and equipments. You also have to plan to control law and order during the process, so we are working off the scene now. It also entails project planning because it does not happen by accident but have to be planned, ordered, sequenced and financed”.

Governor Fashola explained that with the kind of efforts that the number of buildings affected will require, Government cannot afford to start and stop but would want to sequence it and plan them.

He said Government will continue to depend on the media to help it intensify advocacy that canal setback is no place at all for anyone to build a house, stressing that they are practices that are not tolerable.

“The canals take away water storm water, so if any heavy rain comes and enter any house, we will take the blame. Nobody should build near any of our canals. They are reservoir of water for flooding. They are God’s natural protection for holding water during massive flood and is not a place for anybody to build a house. Anybody who proposes to sell land for you there does not like you”, the Governor stated.

He also appealed to all people including land speculators to desist from putting people’s life in danger by selling or offering to sell any land that is close to canal or close to river setbacks because they are not meant for habitation.

Among the inner city roads already completed by the State Government in the Orile area are Akinwande Street, Strabag Road, Abu, Kekere- Ekun, Ali Olanipekun, Ogungbesan, Austin Nwaolu, Alice Tinubu Streets, Savage Lane and Opeloyeru Street while ongoing ones include Oduche, Bale/Coker, Orowunmi, Alagba, Imalefealafia, Memudu, Alhaji Bello Tapa and Alhaji Jimoh.

In Surulere area, the completed roads includes Funsho Willams Avenue, Eric Moore Street, Adeniran Ogunsanya and Mogaji Street while on-going include Akerele Street, Adelabu/Ogunlana Drive, Aibu, Idita, Itolo and Oyediran.

In Apapa, the roads completed by the State Government includes Aerodrome Road, Warehouse Road, Calcutta Crescent, Abraham Adesanya Street, Itapeju Avenue and Kofo Abayomi Avenue.
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by EkoIle1: 11:41am On Aug 10, 2011
Eko o ni baje lai lai.

God Bless The Great State OF Lagos.
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by scopusng(m): 11:54am On Aug 10, 2011
So fashola is still looking at Ikorodu? I dey laugh.
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by sweettweet: 12:05pm On Aug 10, 2011
Mr fashola, abeg look agric too for ikorodu. maybe if you look, nature fit smile at us.
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by Isokoman1(m): 12:07pm On Aug 10, 2011
Does anyone has pictures of the streets the governor is looking at?
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by EkoIle1: 12:25pm On Aug 10, 2011
Isoko man:

Does anyone has pictures of the streets the governor is looking at?

The pictures are on his website.
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by Boyoorisha: 12:35pm On Aug 10, 2011
scopusng:

So fashola is still looking at Ikorodu? I dey laugh.

Expect the expansion of Ikorodu road soon. You can laugh further!
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by gbogboti: 12:41pm On Aug 10, 2011
Ikorodu has for decades been neglected. Mr. Fashola, Ikorodu residents go through hell every day en route to their work places. You can imagine what we go through every morning to Victoria Island/Lagos Island.

The whole of Ikorodu is in trouble as I write this piece. How can only one road/bridge lead to a place where over 5 human beings million resides. In the event of wahala nko?

From Mile 12 to Agric, from Agric to Ogijo no decent roads at all! God! I wonder what the foolish oba of Ikorodu/ the former NTA noise Abike Dabiri are doing?

When Abike was with NTA, she was very good at covering eye-saws. This is her third time in the house of parliament. Yet, zero. You should be ashamed of yourself. Anyway, I don't blame you 1-bit. Na the morons wey vote for you I blame.

Koni da fun iyala iya e.
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by offroad: 12:50pm On Aug 10, 2011
good work fashola, but its so sad that isolo and ago palace road area to be precised is not in his list. that road is a living hell!!
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by pdozie: 1:59pm On Aug 10, 2011
offroad:

good work fashola, but its so sad that isolo and ago palace road area to be precised is not in his list. that road is a living hell!!

I conqur. Isolo-Ejigbo-Ikotun road is messy. It suprises me that most of the Governemnt officials (emphasis on LGAs) do not care. Each time they use the mix of sand and gravel and cement to patch the road, it helps ease traffic. But that solution takes few weeks to tear apart, meanwhile some people will have similed home with millions of naira. I do wonder if black race have a different mind. the main problem really is that the road isnt emough for the cars. Alternate roads or means of transport is required. But in the absense of none, why not fcking repair the existing one once and for all instead of patching with materials you know will wear out in a matter of days!!!!
Fashola is trying but governance also includes local govt chairmen!!! They are doing nothing!!!!!!!
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by Boyoorisha: 2:09pm On Aug 10, 2011
gbogboti:

Ikorodu has for decades been neglected. Mr. Fashola, Ikorodu residents go through hell every day en route to their work places. You can imagine what we go through every morning to Victoria Island/Lagos Island.

The whole of Ikorodu is in trouble as I write this piece. How can only one road/bridge lead to a place where over 5 human beings million resides. In the event of wahala nko?

From Mile 12 to Agric, from Agric to Ogijo no decent roads at all! God! I wonder what the foolish oba of Ikorodu/ the former NTA noise Abike Dabiri are doing?

When Abike was with NTA, she was very good at covering eye-saws. This is her third time in the house of parliament. Yet, zero. You should be ashamed of yourself. Anyway, I don't blame you 1-bit. Na the morons wey vote for you I blame.

Koni da fun iyala iya e.

Bros, na fight? Don't worry six lanes will soon put an end to your suffering
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by lekyar(m): 2:16pm On Aug 10, 2011
pdozie:

I conqur. Isolo-Ejigbo-Ikotun road is messy. It suprises me that most of the Governemnt officials (emphasis on LGAs) do not care. Each time they use the mix of sand and gravel and cement to patch the road, it helps ease traffic. But that solution takes few weeks to tear apart, meanwhile some people will have similed home with millions of naira. I do wonder if black race have a different mind. the main problem really is that the road isnt emough for the cars. Alternate roads or means of transport is required. But in the absense of none, why not fcking repair the existing one once and for all instead of patching with materials you know will wear out in a matter of days!!!!
Fashola is trying but governance also includes local govt chairmen!!! They are doing nothing!!!!!!!
pdozie:

[/quote ]

Well said and posited. If the men lower down the rung (lga govt) are ineffectual then Fashola may fail against all his effort. If that corridor (Isolo - Ejigbo - Ikotun) is fixed then this talk about inner road works may well make meaning. Kudos to Fashola.
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by queenesthr(f): 2:47pm On Aug 10, 2011
Seeing is believing.

I will only believe all the hype when I see the completed roads.
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by babaowo: 3:30pm On Aug 10, 2011
ikorodu roads worst no be small oooo,
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by seanet02: 3:37pm On Aug 10, 2011
Eko oni baje o
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by Eben2: 4:32pm On Aug 10, 2011
More power to Lagos state elbow! notwithstanding, Fashola needs to fulfill his promise to the people of Meiran - Agbado-Oke Odo LGA.

This road lead to Lagos State Modern Secondary School and will easy traffic on Abeokuta expressway. He once came to inspect the road and promised to work on it but nothing has been done ever since.

The state of this road is totally despicable and unmotorable when in rains. He shld please do something!
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by musiwa48: 4:53pm On Aug 10, 2011
you make me laugh , fashola for nearly one years ago went to destroy houses, among the houses , he destroy was one of my father property, a property that fashola was only 5 years old , so which masterplan.?. claiming he is building road. as I am speaking now today. fashola have not constructed any road for nearly one years in that place he claim he destroy,  It was just vote fashola campaign strategy I assume. But why destroy people property, when you know, you have no money to build road.

Using the excuse of lagos master plan is silly. Lagos one had one master plan and the truth his all the houses he is destroying never broke the law.  They all have legal document to show the lagos state government approve this. Is this fair to the people of Lagos. According to CNN more than 3,000,000 people living in lagos have been affected.

Any engineer will tell you, it means that master plan design is a silly one. Considering that an India man design the master plan of lagos. Does that sound not silly to the ear. How can an india design the master of lagos. 

where is fashola going to get the money from. The sky. i think we have to tell ourself the truth.   He has created more erosion in lagos. Even while he had no money to build this road. Tinubu also use this campaign strategy claiming he was going to build the fourth mainland bridge.  And destroy people properties.  and now 5 years after, there is no fourth mainland bridge in lagos.

where is fashola going to get the money from.
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by djustice: 5:33pm On Aug 10, 2011
Master planner. Always planning and never executing. More contracts for PLYCON, abi? Between Fashola and Tinubu, they will both kill Lagos State dead and only a husk will be left for whoever takes over. Planning ko, chopping ni!
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by tEsLim(m): 5:44pm On Aug 10, 2011
Shebi them promise ikorodu 4th mainland bridge landing? And direct BRT / expansion of ikorodu road. Corrupt idiots
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by Kobojunkie: 5:47pm On Aug 10, 2011
Boyoorisha:

Bros, na fight? Don't worry six lanes will soon put an end to your suffering

No be six lanes go cure the problem for Ikorodu road. If the existing roads are adequately maintained, considering the amount of traffic out of and back through Ikorodu regularly, this will go a long way in alleviated the stresses on those roads.
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by YoursGEJ(m): 6:50pm On Aug 10, 2011
musiwa.,.:

you make me laugh , fashola for nearly one years ago went to destroy houses, among the houses , he destroy was one of my father property, a property that fashola was only 5 years old , so which masterplan.?. claiming he is building road. as I am speaking now today. fashola have not constructed any road for nearly one years in that place he claim he destroy,  It was just vote fashola campaign strategy I assume. But why destroy people property, when you know, you have no money to build road.

Using the excuse of lagos master plan is silly. Lagos one had one master plan and the truth his all the houses he is destroying never broke the law.  They all have legal document to show the lagos state government approve this. Is this fair to the people of Lagos. According to CNN more than 3,000,000 people living in lagos have been affected.

Any engineer will tell you, it means that master plan design is a silly one. Considering that an India man design the master plan of lagos. Does that sound not silly to the ear. How can an india design the master of lagos. 

where is fashola going to get the money from. The sky. i think we have to tell ourself the truth.   He has created more erosion in lagos. Even while he had no money to build this road. Tinubu also use this campaign strategy claiming he was going to build the fourth mainland bridge.  And destroy people properties.  and now 5 years after, there is no fourth mainland bridge in lagos.

where is fashola going to get the money from.

You're a sick man because almost every issue you raised is crap. What law states that any 5 year old property can't be seen to have violated the masterplan? Is it because people go to govt land agencies and pay bribes to officials for permission to build in restricted areas? And all the houses he demolished never broke the law? I didn't know you were the surveyor general. That means that the layout of lagos is going just exactly to plan and you love the city as it is. That is nonsense.

And you say an Indian cannot build a city's masterplan? I don't know how many Indians you can compete with when an IQ test is taken. And I'm also sure you would not believe the number of Indians studying architecture in the US alone. To the best of my knowledge, paying for the plan of a city is much more cheaper than building the actual city. if you're saying that lagos state is too poor to buy a master plan, the I don't know why you're complaining about them not being able to build roads and a fourthmainland bridge.

Pls lay out your arguments more logically and cohesively and avoid displaying your intellectual ineptitude here on NL.
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by musiwa48: 7:39pm On Aug 10, 2011
what masterplan, the house in which fashola was born was not part of lagos masterplan. there was no masterplan, apart from the island, who had masterplan.   who is talking of my father house been 5 years old. I mean fashola was only 5 years old, when my father built the house. my father use to send money to nigeria. so how can fashola be talking of masterplan,  they had govt document, which i can post online.

on this people complaining are victim of lagos state government. and fashola knows that. So we should tell ourself the truth. they all have valid legal document to the house and building he is destroying.

His so call master is wrong. all this road should be one way road in a new masterplan.

This is downtown of toronto.  the road in downtown of toronto are one way road because the master plan of toronto was build after the master plan.

Instead of the city building dual road, they made the old road , one way. An agreement is an agreement. Govt can not been seen breaking the law. And this is what Fashola is doing breaking the law. most of the people involve have legal document to the houses fashola is destroying.  Any engineer or city planner with a brain in his head will tell you that , you are to build one way road.

I am not new to lagos.   there is no need to destroy people house , but to build one way road.

here is toronto , even with one way road. It is still beautiful.

Given the master plan of lagos to an india who have no clue to lagos is not the best for lagos. when there are nigerian engineer and arch who could do it.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ButOAZb-5o&feature=related

Where is fashola going to get the money from. If he dream it is from the nigeria govt. keep on dreaming. Nigeria govt only have plan for the north. Have you seen Azikiwe Goodluck start any single project in Yorubaland.

The issue is , if we do not fight for our right. Lagos or all yoruba states will continue to suffer from cheating. The only solution is to Leave Nigeria, you cant have 70 million people dont be cared for by the nigeria govt.
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by kurus: 9:09pm On Aug 10, 2011
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by Nobody: 9:08am On Aug 11, 2011
Maintaining existing is ok but road expansion should be left for express and motorways. Good transport planning is meant to get rid of traffic in inner cities and CBD not to attract more traffic by expanding existing roads.
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by cyberuzo(m): 5:48pm On Aug 11, 2011
[color=#000099][/color] YE YE, IMPRESSIVE, BUT I FEEL FASHOLA Z 4GETN SOME PLACES. IS AGO, OKOTA NOT PART OF LAG. LET VHIM REPAIR D MAIN ROAD AND STOP TALKN OF INNER ROADS IN OTHER PLACES
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by djustice: 3:31pm On Aug 12, 2011
kurus:

Fashola is becoming more like tinubu everyday. Fashola is now thinking of how to finance 2015 election and who he will leave as successor. He also needs to find a way to deal with the tinubu parasite that is sucking the life out of lagos.

nothing is happening in lagos. all that razzamatazaa we say earlier is beginning to shows forth as magic. debt profile of lagos is UNBELIEVABLE and what do we have to show for it? Not much. lets not forget the state generates over 22b a month and that does not include federal allocation.

fashola will disappoint a lot of people soon. and lets not forget that less than 2% of the roads in lagos can be fixed by this admin before they leave in 2015. roads aint the only issue though. what about accomodation? hospitals? education, etc.

that thief tinubu needs to die(divine intervention Father Lord) so that enough funds can be available for other things to be done in lagos

This is a joke, right Fashola was Tinubu's Chief of Staff for at least 3 years. If nothing at all, he will have picked up some political/financial habits from his oga. For instance, he drafted the agreement ceding Lekki Peninsula to Bola Tinubu's companies for 30 years, and to be fair to him, he's been consistent in defending that obnoxious agreement.

Of course he is EXACTLY like TINUBU. Why expect anything different?
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by djustice: 8:06pm On Sep 18, 2011
Ikorodu, Alimosho and all the other LG roads, including wealthy Ikoyi, are all bad still, and Fashola is still posturing and passing stupid laws.
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by Desola(f): 8:33pm On Sep 18, 2011
ikorodu is ijebu jo! Amosun should take care of it.

grin
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by chino11(m): 8:47pm On Sep 18, 2011
Lagos is fool of shit, yarobas and their feeble and shallow minds. They should repair the already dilapidated roads which has turned the town into a big jungle. Fashola and tinubu are taking the whole money abroad
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by aljharem3: 8:48pm On Sep 18, 2011
chino11:

Lagos is fool of poo, yarobas and their feeble and shallow minds. They should repair the already dilapidated roads which has turned the town into a big jungle. Fashola and tinubu are taking the whole money abroad

so what do u suggest fashola to do

any ideas?
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by chino11(m): 9:04pm On Sep 18, 2011
Handover to the area boys ofcos, because they not any better from them. All of them are all rascals as quoted by our presido grin grin
Re: Fashola - Plans For Lagos Inner City Roads On Course by djustice: 9:09pm On Sep 18, 2011
Desola:

ikorodu is ijebu jo! Amosun should take care of it.

grin
Which shit-hole did you just crawl out of, that made you unaware that Ikorodu is in Lagos State? Abeg carry that your ignorant yansh back to Togo or whichever cockroach-infested backwater you slithered out of. Oloshi, olori dota!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Picture: What Should Michelle Do To Obama For This"blunder" With Beyonce / The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian / Have You Noticed Picture Quality Of NTA Lately?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.