Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,904 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:44 AM

Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? (67262 Views)

Bauchi-Ningi: 28 Family Members Traveling In A Bus Die In A Motor Accident / Groom, Family Members Killed In Fatal Accident On The Way To Wedding. Photos / What Australians Think About Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 12:08pm On Sep 18, 2022
Sweetvie:
Yeah. Africa mindset. They believe abroad is heaven and when you get there money is waiting for you. Like my friend story... He like this girl coz he thought the girl is responsible, open shop by herself and she is hard working... So they started getting a little closer to each other (no relationship yet or intimacy) until one day his brother called him and his phone was with d girl.. she saw it was international call. To cut it short, my friend told her it was his brother that called that he in usa... Do you know this girl copied the number and message my friend bro... Telling that one she like him, that she want to marry him( after chatting for some days) My friend brother then called his brother that the girl is not someone he can marry and show him all there chat.

What a bad girl! I hear people say that all Nigerian girls are only after money, do you think in line with them?
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Regex: 12:35pm On Sep 18, 2022
MALIGNANTGuest:

Very GOOD QUESTION.
Such Threads should be allowed to soar.
The Truth is, such is basically an African thing and most specially a Negro-African thing.

To a Caucasian, Traveling means leisure.
He travels to explore and learn newer ways of doing things and not to create tornadoes.
But most Nigerians leave the country for GREENER PASTURES and not for exploration.
So, leaving Nigeria is now a huge source of employment & forex which will definitely extend to family members.

Caucasians are also excited & boastful of their trips to other parts of the world. In Fact, such serves as an integral part of their RESUME' when applying for Jobs. But not for Greener Pastures and such can never be said of their relatives who rather assume an oblivious perception of their siblings trips.

I used to think this way until I realised, humans are literally thesame everywhere. I mean there's a pattern that when looked you would conclude. I would agree yes a lot of Nigerians are boastful of their accomplishment of having anyone abroad. But it is not a Nigerian thing but a human thing. Living in the white man's land, they too are also boastful of having someone abroad too. Guess what, it is more prevalent amongst the rich. I was caring for a woman, I was her support, this woman is bloody rich and lives in Fulham. She talks about her cousin who lives in Canada too much. So it is not a Nigerian thing. It's a human thing.

19 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Sep 18, 2022

10 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by YoungLionken(m): 12:48pm On Sep 18, 2022
Senseless topics is gracing front page, is this supposed to be your cause of concern?? @OP...

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by pocohantas(f): 12:48pm On Sep 18, 2022
AndroidAI:
When they say 'My brother is in Aba', you wouldn't reason it.

But when they replace Aba with Canada, you start feeling somehow.

My brother, you are the problem, not them.

Change your mindset.

Thank you!

goodamerican:
There's no need to be jealous or hateful over something like this. If they're talking about their Uncle in Canada or their aunt in Germany, how else can they do that without mentioning the country?

I wonder o. If you talk about your 2005 Corolla, nobody would send you. Talk of your 2018 GLE and problem go start. cheesy

10 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Jalaw: 12:49pm On Sep 18, 2022
Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt, I can relate but not Asaba.
Wetin you fine go Asaba?
ednut1:
Its a southern Nigerian thing. People in the village pride themselves in having relatives in Lagos, port harcourt, asaba, Abuja etc. most Nigerians see whites as superior hence the phenomenon. If you have worked with whites in Nigeria, they get special treatment and privileges. Also many believe having a relative abroad will make it easy for them to also travel which is usually not the case .Naso he be

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by chidi10o: 12:50pm On Sep 18, 2022
Lol! You're funny.
Lol! You're funny....
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by GeneralPula: 12:50pm On Sep 18, 2022
Nothing special..
It’s just a lifestyle..
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by FRANKOSKI(m): 12:50pm On Sep 18, 2022
To who it may concern, I DON'T THINK I WILL EVER FEEL FULFILLED IN LIFE WITHOUT HAVING A STINT ABROAD . It's a childhood dream thank you !

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by SavageResponse(m): 12:52pm On Sep 18, 2022
ednut1:
Its a southern Nigerian thing. People in the village pride themselves in having relatives in Lagos, port harcourt, asaba, Abuja etc. most Nigerians see whites as superior hence the phenomenon. If you have worked with whites in Nigeria, they get special treatment and privileges. Also many believe having a relative abroad will make it easy for them to also travel which is usually not the case .Naso he be

Valid observation
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Arry110(m): 12:52pm On Sep 18, 2022
E really vex you o
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Kobicove(m): 12:52pm On Sep 18, 2022
The inferiority complex that blacks have with respect to white people is terrible that's why people here always wrongly assume that someone living in Europe or America is automatically doing better than people who live in Nigeria undecided

5 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Protedu: 12:53pm On Sep 18, 2022
True tat
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by ussv: 12:53pm On Sep 18, 2022
My aunty in Abeokuta
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Iremchris: 12:53pm On Sep 18, 2022
shortIGBOman:

In IGBO Land, they pride themselves when they have any of their relatives in Northern Nigeria. They see Northern Nigeria like Canada. grin
linus
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by wumi2017(f): 12:54pm On Sep 18, 2022
Especially those that their father or mother lives there...any small thin my father lives in America

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by shortIGBOman: 12:55pm On Sep 18, 2022
Iremchris:
linus

No be lie. Ask any IGBO men and women around you.

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Olam09(m): 12:56pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:
I noticed that most Nigerians feel so much achievement upon having a family member outside the country. I have seen Nigerians proudly declare the following (just an example tough) :

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

5. My cousin in South Africa

6. My husband is in the United Arab Emirates

7. My daughter in Italy

8. My brother in Malaysia

9. My nephew in India

10. My brother sister uncle daughter son in Kuwait
Etc.
I observe a pride in each of these people, and I realized that it doesn't even matter which country the family resides in, for the homers, they always feel like they won a noble prize by having a family abroad.
Some of these people have families in Indonesia, Malaysia, Israel, Libya, Kuwait, Honduras, Greece etc. And they puff with pride as if it's a life worth achievement.
Others have families in the US, UK, Germany, Canada, France, South Africa, Australia etc, which is still note worthy.

But the Question is; why do most Nigerians count having a family abroad as a big achievement, and even make mockery of their fellow Nigerians who do not have a family member abroad. Or those who refuse to mention that they have families abroad?

Is it a Nigerian thing to behave like that, or is it a global thing, do other countries nationals behave like that?

Your opinion is the back bone of this thread. Thank you.

I like your reasoning..
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Okhuadams(m): 12:57pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:
I noticed that most Nigerians feel so much achievement upon having a family member outside the country. I have seen Nigerians proudly declare the following (just an example tough) :

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

7. My daughter in Italy

9. My nephew in India

Etc.
I observe a pride in each of these people, and I realized that it doesn't even matter which country the family resides in, for the homers, they always feel like they won a noble prize by having a family abroad.
Some of these people have families in Indonesia, Malaysia, Israel, Libya, Kuwait, Honduras, Greece etc. And they puff with pride as if it's a life worth achievement.
Others have families in the US, UK, Germany, Canada, France, South Africa, Australia etc, which is still note worthy.

But the Question is; why do most Nigerians count having a family abroad as a big achievement, and even make mockery of their fellow Nigerians who do not have a family member abroad. Or those who refuse to mention that they have families abroad?

Is it a Nigerian thing to behave like that, or is it a global thing, do other countries nationals behave like that?

Myself in Nigeria waiting to relocate after elections

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by deltateam: 12:57pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

Lol! Thank you for your opinion, but that's not the case, I'm talking of the pride that comes with it, and the inferiority complex that is bestowed upon those who don't have families abroad, or those who refuse to mention having families abroad. At least, nobody sees you less for not having a family in Aba, so it's no mindset. I have families abroad, but I never mentioned it, or look less on others who did not. And I never feel proud. I hope you can understand now. Thank you.

The inferiority complex is bestowed to those who have it already like you. Change your mindset.

Besides I wonder who you surround yourself with.

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by uptownemmygee(m): 12:58pm On Sep 18, 2022
E easy to japa
Some people sell land to travel
Some nah their life saving
Some nah akawo people money
Some nah family people gather money
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by RepoMan007: 12:58pm On Sep 18, 2022
Most of those countries are obviously better than the shitholery and so it is right people feel a sense of achievement in having a brother or sister abroad. Imagine Buhari claiming he used 12-15 USD to lift people out of poverty, but your poor or not so privileged relative abroad could easily send you 100 USD and will even feel it is too small.

5 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by onuman: 12:58pm On Sep 18, 2022
Because they know the shit hole Nigeria has been reduced to be, a country where one can lose one's life anytime, even from a bullet of the police.
Op, do you pretend that you don't know why?
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by frozen70(f): 12:58pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

7. My daughter in Italy

9. My nephew in India

Etc.

Its actually an achievement to send them abroad and boast of them being abroad

Their stay over there made life and living simple for them here

At least they send things to them and still make plans to take more over there

8 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Jeffyblaq(m): 12:58pm On Sep 18, 2022
Mentality...

Same way they think of casting votes for a particular person simply cos he's from the same tribe with them.

Shitz continue.....
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Excelneedful(f): 12:58pm On Sep 18, 2022
VictorDivine:
The answer is simple. Our country is underdeveloped, hence our sense of pride when we have someone living in a first world country not our third world shithole.
The Truth you have Stated ...But some won't still agree ..

Naija love to Form and compare themselves to White ,Bring out the Car a Naija has Manufactured sorely without the Whites ,One Mechinery at least ,The aeroplane ,the Ship ,The Car ,Buses ,Phones... I wonder how Naija would have been without the Whites Tech .

Whether you like it or not the Whites are far far ahead of Us ....Deal with it .

5 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by bluefilm: 12:59pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

7. My daughter in Italy

9. My nephew in India

Etc.

Mind you, my daughter in italy get as e dey sound o.

If you know, you know.

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Okhuadams(m): 12:59pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

Calm down bro, what's the matter with you? I was sincerely appreciating you. I swear it was no irony or sarcasm. You have to believe me, I meant to say thanks for sharing this with the whole world. And I'm still greatful for the information which you shared. Thanks once again.
he is the one obviously on weed not to understand you

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 12:59pm On Sep 18, 2022
Na levels, you don't pray to have family members abroad?
hamouston91:

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

7. My daughter in Italy

9. My nephew in India

Etc.

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by GistFullGround: 1:00pm On Sep 18, 2022

OP is just jealous!

It is just a way of identifying someone when speaking or talking about something; do you expect the person to say "my stick in USA " or "my flower in Japan"?

Your assertion does not make sense.

GROW UP & FOCUS ON LIFE

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

New Drone That Allows Humans Fly Launched (Photos, Video) / See this Hilarious "Road Bump" Spotted In Nigeria (pics) / Appeal Or Reapply For France Schengen Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.