Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,049 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? (67266 Views)

Bauchi-Ningi: 28 Family Members Traveling In A Bus Die In A Motor Accident / Groom, Family Members Killed In Fatal Accident On The Way To Wedding. Photos / What Australians Think About Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Iremchris: 1:00pm On Sep 18, 2022
shortIGBOman:

No be lie. Ask any IGBO men and women around you.
oga wetin we the find the go north
We no the carry cow like u guys the go up and down

commot body for that one

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by juman(m): 1:02pm On Sep 18, 2022
Everywhere in the world, villagers always happy they have people in the city.

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by yommen: 1:03pm On Sep 18, 2022
ednut1:
Its a southern Nigerian thing. People in the village pride themselves in having relatives in Lagos, port harcourt, asaba, Abuja etc. most Nigerians see whites as superior hence the phenomenon. If you have worked with whites in Nigeria, they get special treatment and privileges. Also many believe having a relative abroad will make it easy for them to also travel which is usually not the case .Naso he be

Are whites not superior Think about it and answer the question with all sincerity.

4 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Warmaterial(m): 1:03pm On Sep 18, 2022
Oga E no easy to dey abroad o, dey advantage dem fit get plenty like sending money for dem, building huz and dey go come turn to supervisor, sending car and other things and ask dem to sell. In short dey can easily get help from u than their fellow locals.

4 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by capetownboyz(m): 1:04pm On Sep 18, 2022
Nice thread ..

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Subsea101: 1:05pm On Sep 18, 2022
Inferiority what?? Haa, nawa oo. Una get problems for this country oo

hamouston91:

Lol! Thank you for your opinion, but that's not the case, I'm talking of the pride that comes with it, and the inferiority complex that is bestowed upon those who don't have families abroad, or those who refuse to mention having families abroad. At least, nobody sees you less for not having a family in Aba, so it's no mindset. I have families abroad, but I never mentioned it, or look less on others who did not. And I never feel proud. I hope you can understand now. Thank you.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Charly500(m): 1:05pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:
I noticed that most Nigerians feel so much achievement upon having a family member outside the country. I have seen Nigerians proudly declare the following (just an example tough) :

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

5. My cousin in South Africa

6. My husband is in the United Arab Emirates

7. My daughter in Italy

8. My brother in Malaysia

9. My nephew in India

10. My brother sister uncle daughter son in Kuwait
Etc.
I observe a pride in each of these people, and I realized that it doesn't even matter which country the family resides in, for the homers, they always feel like they won a noble prize by having a family abroad.
Some of these people have families in Indonesia, Malaysia, Israel, Libya, Kuwait, Honduras, Greece etc. And they puff with pride as if it's a life worth achievement.
Others have families in the US, UK, Germany, Canada, France, South Africa, Australia etc, which is still note worthy.

But the Question is; why do most Nigerians count having a family abroad as a big achievement, and even make mockery of their fellow Nigerians who do not have a family member abroad. Or those who refuse to mention that they have families abroad?

Is it a Nigerian thing to behave like that, or is it a global thing, do other countries nationals behave like that?

Your opinion is the back bone of this thread. Thank you.

Very Good Question

There is nothing wrong in travelling for greener pastures especially due to the difficult times being faced in nigeria, and when you take into account the various sacrifices some of these families have put in just for one of them to travel out with the hope that through him or her their family future would be better.

Nowadays whether is a sister or a brother travelling, he or she is sat down and told to remember where he or she is coming from and the sacrifices those over here have made for the trip to be possible, so when things get rosy he or she should remember her family, especially in moving over there or establishing businesses for those that feel that they can be better off in nigeria.

Some families have sold landed properties just to fund their siblings to travel out of nigeria for a better life for themselves and their familes.

Thats when they all come together and agree on it, in some cases some families already know who they would choose to send over there that will remember them all, as among themselves over here in nigeria, there are those who even in nigeria always show uncaring attutude towards their family, so you dont expect such a person to be the first in the list of those to be suggested for such a trip.

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Tradepunter2: 1:05pm On Sep 18, 2022
THE MOST USELESS POST I HAVE EVER SEEN.... IF YOU HAD A JOB OR SOME BUSINESS YOU WONT WASTE YOUR TIME ON SUCH CRAP

4 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by dsenator: 1:06pm On Sep 18, 2022
Just like the same way people refer to their
Uncle in Asaba
Sister in Ibadan
Dad in Portharcourt
Niece in Aba
Cousin in Kaduna
These how people have been referring to their relatives in different places from time immemorial.

6 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by SenatePresdo(m): 1:06pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:
I noticed that most Nigerians feel so much achievement upon having a family member outside the country. I have seen Nigerians proudly declare the following (just an example tough) :

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

7. My daughter in Italy

9. My nephew in India

Etc.
I observe a pride in each of these people, and I realized that it doesn't even matter which country the family resides in, for the homers, they always feel like they won a noble prize by having a family abroad.
Some of these people have families in Indonesia, Malaysia, Israel, Libya, Kuwait, Honduras, Greece etc. And they puff with pride as if it's a life worth achievement.
Others have families in the US, UK, Germany, Canada, France, South Africa, Australia etc, which is still note worthy.

But the Question is; why do most Nigerians count having a family abroad as a big achievement, and even make mockery of their fellow Nigerians who do not have a family member abroad. Or those who refuse to mention that they have families abroad?

Is it a Nigerian thing to behave like that, or is it a global thing, do other countries nationals behave like that?

What 98% of Nigerians living in Nigeria cannot afford to do is an achievement.

You won't understand this, if you can't understand what poverty capital of the world means.

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by yommen: 1:06pm On Sep 18, 2022
emmaodet:

It is a pity such is happening here.
My mum also pressured me to travel out with my family but I no gree.
Whenever am home, she will always be updating me about how Dammy (my childhood friend who traveled to US) sent car home to his mother, he has just bought land and developing it blah blah blah.
Anytime she ask me for money and I say I don’t have or complain before giving her a part of it, the next thing is she doesn’t understand why I don’t want to travel. That am I enjoying the kind of life am living here?
She believes if have traveled like Dammy, she won’t be struggling to get good money from me.
She pressured my wife too, likewise her mum to pursued me.
Whenever I get a financial hit from my business, the next thing I hear from my wife and mother is - what are you still doing here in nigeria? Are we not wasting our time? Is it not better we travel? Blah blah blah
If my wife reads a news that fulani herdsmen attacks a village or kidnap someone, the next thing is she is tired of this country and wants to move to a sane country abroad.
Just any small thing, let’s move as if they don’t shoot sporadically too in abroad.
Also, my mum wants that pride of answering her friends …. Oh Emma is is US doing fine when they ask her about Emma.
I just don’t know the thing with Nigerians and abroad especially women.
No be by force to push person for abroad abeg

Sincerely, bro, there is better life there!

3 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Subsea101: 1:07pm On Sep 18, 2022
I just tire for the guy oo, that line just off me totally.

That guy really get problem.

deltateam:

The inferiority complex is bestowed to those who have it already like you. Change your mindset.

Besides I wonder who you surround yourself with.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by swiych(m): 1:07pm On Sep 18, 2022
100% sure say if u japa, ur pipo go still talk about u like dat, so far nor be Zimbabwe u go

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Starz825(m): 1:09pm On Sep 18, 2022
emmaodet:

It is a pity such is happening here.
My mum also pressured me to travel out with my family but I no gree.
Whenever am home, she will always be updating me about how Dammy (my childhood friend who traveled to US) sent car home to his mother, he has just bought land and developing it blah blah blah.
Anytime she ask me for money and I say I don’t have or complain before giving her a part of it, the next thing is she doesn’t understand why I don’t want to travel. That am I enjoying the kind of life am living here?
She believes if have traveled like Dammy, she won’t be struggling to get good money from me.
She pressured my wife too, likewise her mum to pursued me.
Whenever I get a financial hit from my business, the next thing I hear from my wife and mother is - what are you still doing here in nigeria? Are we not wasting our time? Is it not better we travel? Blah blah blah
If my wife reads a news that fulani herdsmen attacks a village or kidnap someone, the next thing is she is tired of this country and wants to move to a sane country abroad.
Just any small thing, let’s move as if they don’t shoot sporadically too in abroad.
Also, my mum wants that pride of answering her friends …. Oh Emma is is US doing fine when they ask her about Emma.
I just don’t know the thing with Nigerians and abroad especially women.
No be by force to push person for abroad abeg
Gbayi
I just like the fact that you didn't allow their pressure put you in DESPERATION mode...

You are a real man

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by SirJerrie(m): 1:10pm On Sep 18, 2022
"Do am if e easy!!!"

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by benqo01(m): 1:13pm On Sep 18, 2022
We all are guilty of this so OP u don't have a valid point

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by RPG2020(m): 1:14pm On Sep 18, 2022
Come abroad na if e easy grin

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Theoarhics: 1:14pm On Sep 18, 2022
If he easy make your pa go na
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 1:14pm On Sep 18, 2022
I made front page! Thanks to all of you, I love you all, including those opposing me.

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by 30naira: 1:15pm On Sep 18, 2022
ednut1:
how many northerners are japaing Just few. They even have boko haram and banditry to use for asylum yet they no dey travel abroad . Thats why i said it’s mostly south, some northerns are proud too of their relatives in arabic countries.

The northerners are not travelling out of the country, but they are relocating in droves to the south. Lagos and Benin are like South Africa to them

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by BigDawsNet: 1:15pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

7. My daughter in Italy

9. My nephew in India

Etc.

Nobody is making mockery of other people with no families abroad... if dere is...den they are loosers...

Yea I think it's normal to boost you have people in western country... Nigeria is more of a shiit hole country.. so having people abroad that can help u finicial is an achievement or having close relative abroad that can easily send you documents to join them abroad is an achievement... so let them enjoy it bro

When one of ur siblings travel by God's grace or you particularly... you will see the value

3 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by TAYO124: 1:15pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

7. My daughter in Italy

9. My nephew in India

Etc.

We realize “nigeria” is a failed state, it is the way we openly declare the obvious.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Naijaolosho2: 1:16pm On Sep 18, 2022
rusher14:
Mtcheeew.

Imagine a jobless boy typing this bullshit in the middle of the night? Who say make you no get family abroad or make you yourself no dey abroad?
Mumu man.

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 1:16pm On Sep 18, 2022
swiych:
100% sure say if u japa, ur pipo go still talk about u like dat, so far nor be Zimbabwe u go

Zimbabwe still Rocks! You no talk say Chad or Congo!

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Wuppdex: 1:17pm On Sep 18, 2022
That's because the other continents have built a formidable functioning sane society for themselves of which an average Negro African crave and pride in, but reciprocating the same feat on it's own soil is an herculean task for the black man, all we do is pray, we pray even for Visa to crossover to those sane climes that are not built on prayers.

MALIGNANTGuest:

Very GOOD QUESTION.
Such Threads should be allowed to soar.
The Truth is, such is basically an African thing and most specially a Negro-African thing.

To a Caucasian, Traveling means leisure.
He travels to explore and learn newer ways of doing things and not to create tornadoes.
But most Nigerians leave the country for GREENER PASTURES and not for exploration.
So, leaving Nigeria is now a huge source of employment & forex which will definitely extend to family members.

Caucasians are also excited & boastful of their trips to other parts of the world. In Fact, such serves as an integral part of their RESUME' when applying for Jobs. But not for Greener Pastures and such can never be said of their relatives who rather assume an oblivious perception of their siblings trips.

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by rusher14: 1:17pm On Sep 18, 2022
Naijaolosho2:

Imagine a jobless boy typing this bullshit in the middle of the night? Who say make you no get family abroad or make you yourself no dey abroad?
Mumu man.

Mtcheeew.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by SugarGirl44(f): 1:18pm On Sep 18, 2022
It's simply because Nigerians have accepted that they're inferior to the whites.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by TAYO124: 1:18pm On Sep 18, 2022

Your opinion is the back bone of this thread. Thank you. [/quote]

We realize “nigeria” is a failed state, it is the way we openly declare the obvious.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 1:18pm On Sep 18, 2022
Tradepunter2:
THE MOST USELESS POST I HAVE EVER SEEN.... IF YOU HAD A JOB OR SOME BUSINESS YOU WONT WASTE YOUR TIME ON SUCH CRAP

Lol! It seems your visa application got turned down consecutively. I feel your plight, but take your anger somewhere else.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Ferdinandu(m): 1:18pm On Sep 18, 2022
Enter Chisco Night bus go abroad now if you think they don't have anything to brag about

3 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by paradiseVirgin: 1:19pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

7. My daughter in Italy

grin grin grin

Who is thinking what I am thinking? grin grin grin
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by iamyungkhalifa(m): 1:19pm On Sep 18, 2022
ednut1:
what brand of weed are you smoking lmao
kwale weed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

See this Hilarious "Road Bump" Spotted In Nigeria (pics) / Appeal Or Reapply For France Schengen Visa / Adelabu Street Surulere After A Heavy Rainfall Today

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.