Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,264 members, 7,818,892 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? (67261 Views)

Bauchi-Ningi: 28 Family Members Traveling In A Bus Die In A Motor Accident / Groom, Family Members Killed In Fatal Accident On The Way To Wedding. Photos / What Australians Think About Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by SeriouslySense(m): 1:58pm On Sep 18, 2022
I think, its due to lack of esteem or value in our environment, our environment most of the time looks like war zones and is not even fit for animals.

The society is just existing, does not improve, and poverty is high, and self education is low, people are not exposed, they may be smart thugs but the society is still poor in how it conducts itself.

So because of the emptiness of the society, its a thing of pride to have someone outside the environment. An environment with very poor education and self esteem.

People are traumatized, confused, and the environment is not inspiring, they struggle, and with so much lack and suffering, people love the idea of something different, outside the norm of suffering.

This is my poor understanding i would like to know more.
hamouston91:
I noticed that most Nigerians feel so much achievement upon having a family member outside the country. I have seen Nigerians proudly declare the following (just an example tough) :

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

5. My cousin in South Africa

6. My husband is in the United Arab Emirates

7. My daughter in Italy

8. My brother in Malaysia

9. My nephew in India

10. My brother sister uncle daughter son in Kuwait
Etc.
I observe a pride in each of these people, and I realized that it doesn't even matter which country the family resides in, for the homers, they always feel like they won a noble prize by having a family abroad.
Some of these people have families in Indonesia, Malaysia, Israel, Libya, Kuwait, Honduras, Greece etc. And they puff with pride as if it's a life worth achievement.
Others have families in the US, UK, Germany, Canada, France, South Africa, Australia etc, which is still note worthy.

But the Question is; why do most Nigerians count having a family abroad as a big achievement, and even make mockery of their fellow Nigerians who do not have a family member abroad. Or those who refuse to mention that they have families abroad?

Is it a Nigerian thing to behave like that, or is it a global thing, do other countries nationals behave like that?

Your opinion is the back bone of this thread. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by GistFullGround: 2:00pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

Lol! Jealous, if you noticed the Houston in my moniker then you did. But I won't boast of that person in Houston, Texas. Let it remain so.

GUILTY & CHARGED

...I won't boast of that person in Houston, Texas

Is this not hypocritical

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by moneyissweet(m): 2:01pm On Sep 18, 2022
Yes because as a Nigerian, the stress and the process of getting a Nigerian passport and a visa is as difficult as northern cabals handing power over to an Igboman from south east.

E no easy at all, It worth celebrating bro
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Ikpongiton: 2:01pm On Sep 18, 2022
emmaodet:

It is a pity such is happening here.
My mum also pressured me to travel out with my family but I no gree.
Whenever am home, she will always be updating me about how Dammy (my childhood friend who traveled to US) sent car home to his mother, he has just bought land and developing it blah blah blah.
Anytime she ask me for money and I say I don’t have or complain before giving her a part of it, the next thing is she doesn’t understand why I don’t want to travel. That am I enjoying the kind of life am living here?
She believes if have traveled like Dammy, she won’t be struggling to get good money from me.
She pressured my wife too, likewise her mum to pursued me.
Whenever I get a financial hit from my business, the next thing I hear from my wife and mother is - what are you still doing here in nigeria? Are we not wasting our time? Is it not better we travel? Blah blah blah
If my wife reads a news that fulani herdsmen attacks a village or kidnap someone, the next thing is she is tired of this country and wants to move to a sane country abroad.
Just any small thing, let’s move as if they don’t shoot sporadically too in abroad.
Also, my mum wants that pride of answering her friends …. Oh Emma is is US doing fine when they ask her about Emma.
I just don’t know the thing with Nigerians and abroad especially women.
No be by force to push person for abroad abeg
your mom love you so much and want everything good to your way.she is right about it.

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 2:02pm On Sep 18, 2022
GistFullGround:

I am in MARYLAND, & my cousin in BOSTON tells his friends that "MY BROTHER IN BOSTON" even my friend in LONDON ALWAYS refers to me as MY GOOD FRIEND IN US. So, what's your point?

By the way, I've lived here in the US for 18 good years, what's the shakara about? Nobody cares!

Like I said, FOCUS!

I have never read a comment as confusing as this. You mentioned shakara, yet earlier, you said I was jealous. You don't even know what to reply. I'm awed at your confusions
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by franchasofficia: 2:03pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:
I noticed that most Nigerians feel so much achievement upon having a family member outside the country. I have seen Nigerians proudly declare the following (just an example tough) :

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

7. My daughter in Italy

9. My nephew in India

Etc.
I observe a pride in each of these people, and I realized that it doesn't even matter which country the family resides in, for the homers, they always feel like they won a noble prize by having a family abroad.
Some of these people have families in Indonesia, Malaysia, Israel, Libya, Kuwait, Honduras, Greece etc. And they puff with pride as if it's a life worth achievement.
Others have families in the US, UK, Germany, Canada, France, South Africa, Australia etc, which is still note worthy.

But the Question is; why do most Nigerians count having a family abroad as a big achievement, and even make mockery of their fellow Nigerians who do not have a family member abroad. Or those who refuse to mention that they have families abroad?

Is it a Nigerian thing to behave like that, or is it a global thing, do other countries nationals behave like that?

There is no successful or rich family in Nigeria without some of their family members living abroad (US, UK, Germany, France, Netherlands, Ireland, Canada, France, China, South Korea, Denmark, etc).

All your present and former Presidents, Governors, Ministers, Senators, Military Generals, Bank MDs, Company CEOs, successful entrepreneurs, etc have one or two or three of their family members living abroad, it's a form of future security against the unpredictable nature of Nigeria and its leadership which can somersault anytime, so sadly that's the reality for Nigeria shocked

Even Buhari your incumbent President know that war can break out in Nigeria anytime, so having some of your family members abroad ensures your family lineage won't be wiped out completely should war looming in Nigeria everyday breaks out cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Skullano(m): 2:03pm On Sep 18, 2022
Hmm, I have few of my families abroad but I barely talk to them e come be to use them dey hype.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by ben2rhymes: 2:03pm On Sep 18, 2022
U must have had conversations with many many people who made reference to relatives in local places…. ‘Like one of my uncle in the village ehn’….. but u won’t reason it
Once u hear someone mentions a relative overseas, U unsecured mind, ur inferior conscience would remind u that u don’t have person in abroad and would tag it pride

Oga, you need to work on yourself… you’re the problem

One reason rich people avoid poor old friends, there are certain utterances you make in discussions with them base on your wide experience, they’d see it as pride and might directly or indirectly kill you for it, but the rich ones would see it as a mere discussion and see it as topic for deliberations.

Again, Oga build yourself…don’t be Myopic

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Michaelie: 2:06pm On Sep 18, 2022
MALIGNANTGuest:

Very GOOD QUESTION.
Such Threads should be allowed to soar.
The Truth is, such is basically an African thing and most specially a Negro-African thing.

To a Caucasian, Traveling means leisure.
He travels to explore and learn newer ways of doing things and not to create tornadoes.
But most Nigerians leave the country for GREENER PASTURES and not for exploration.
So, leaving Nigeria is now a huge source of employment & forex which will definitely extend to family members.

Caucasians are also excited & boastful of their trips to other parts of the world. In Fact, such serves as an integral part of their RESUME' when applying for Jobs. But not for Greener Pastures and such can never be said of their relatives who rather assume an oblivious perception of their siblings trips.

Well said�
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by SeriouslySense(m): 2:07pm On Sep 18, 2022
cheesy cheesy
Skullano:
Hmm, I have few of my families abroad but I barely talk to them e come be to use them dey hype.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by SeriouslySense(m): 2:07pm On Sep 18, 2022
wink
MALIGNANTGuest:

Very GOOD QUESTION.
Such Threads should be allowed to soar.
The Truth is, such is basically an African thing and most specially a Negro-African thing.

To a Caucasian, Traveling means leisure.
He travels to explore and learn newer ways of doing things and not to create tornadoes.
But most Nigerians leave the country for GREENER PASTURES and not for exploration.
So, leaving Nigeria is now a huge source of employment & forex which will definitely extend to family members.

Caucasians are also excited & boastful of their trips to other parts of the world. In Fact, such serves as an integral part of their RESUME' when applying for Jobs. But not for Greener Pastures and such can never be said of their relatives who rather assume an oblivious perception of their siblings trips.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by SeriouslySense(m): 2:09pm On Sep 18, 2022
Its lack of human development index, or self development i guess, in summary grin grin grin.

Its the way some children grow up to value themselves in comparison to others, they see value in their parents wealth not handwork or trainings or skills. They develop this ideas that they are better than others or have a comparative advantage, in terms of the economic positions or environmental setup of their families.

so as adult sometimes this way of understanding oneself is expressed.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by franchasofficia: 2:10pm On Sep 18, 2022
emmaodet:

Whenever am home, she will always be updating me about how Dammy (my childhood friend who traveled to US) sent car home to his mother, he has just bought land and developing it blah blah blah.
Anytime she ask me for money and I say I don’t have or complain before giving her a part of it, the next thing is she doesn’t understand why I don’t want to travel. That am I enjoying the kind of life am living here?
She believes if have traveled like Dammy, she won’t be struggling to get good money from me.
Whenever I get a financial hit from my business, the next thing I hear from my wife and mother is - what are you still doing here in nigeria? Are we not wasting our time? Is it not better we travel? Blah blah blah
If my wife reads a news that fulani herdsmen attacks a village or kidnap someone, the next thing is she is tired of this country and wants to move to a sane country abroad.
Just any small thing, let’s move as if they don’t shoot sporadically too in abroad.
Also, my mum wants that pride of answering her friends …. Oh Emma is is US doing fine when they ask her about Emma.
Emma please if you are not earning at least 1million naira consistently every month in Nigeria and you see any opportunity to travel to any of these countries legally; US, Germany, South Korea, Japan, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, UK, Ireland, etc, please take that opportunity and leave Nigeria to save some more capital and then you can leave your wife and kids over there and come back to Nigeria to restart your business with much more capital and exposure.

Your mom want the best for you, don't ignore her or hate her for that please

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Slynation(m): 2:10pm On Sep 18, 2022
emmaodet:

Lemme join them self...!!

Emma...!! So you have means to Japa and you are wasting such lucrative opportunity?? grin Emma, help yaself and your generation grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Lotechi(m): 2:12pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

The last time I checked, I found out that people envy the things which they don't have. So I have no reason to envy them for their proud attitudes. And it's not the case of sending money, firstly you should know that nobody sends 1000 dollars home, and if true, then maybe in families with very poor financial situations.
But the point remains that most of these proud people have never received even a bottom dollar from their families abroad. Some have never even spoken to the families abroad, they just know that an uncle is in Canada, a cousin is in Ireland etc. Yet they pride themselves as if they won a gold medal or something.

Most of those who communicate regularly with their families abroad never exhibit such pride. I hope you understand me now? Thank you.
It’s simple economics. People are overjoyed when they get to work in an oil company in Nigeria, but not so much when they get a job in a private school; the reason is because of the difference in pay.
The same is true when you have a relative abroad, and they tell you stories of how sane it is, and the endless opportunities there. I am currently in the United States, and trust me, I have achieved in four years what I was unable to achieve in about 25yrs I was in Nigeria.
But I sometimes get very angry, because I sincerely believe that Nigerians in Nigeria deserve a better life than they have in Nigeria, but our leaders have continued to plunge the country into a banana-like republic.

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by shortIGBOman: 2:13pm On Sep 18, 2022
Ikpongiton:
werey .it is in the north that they see Igbo man as a semi white man.

God forbid. Come and see how Obi of Onitsha and other first class Kings in the EAST dey bow and prosterate for their Northern masters. Ask your IGBO leaders weting Northerners mean to them. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Hanndye: 2:15pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

7. My daughter in Italy

9. My nephew in India

Etc.

Come to think of it, I think there is something that awes the human psyche about the word TRAVEL. Just make a mention of it where ever to, people gaze at out. People even get named after where they have been to. Neil Armstrong was not admired because the moon is better than earth, just the further he went. I think it's because we all all sojurners anyway. It's an innate thing like many others.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by boom99(m): 2:20pm On Sep 18, 2022
Ishilove:

Mscheeeew x 2
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 2:24pm On Sep 18, 2022
ben2rhymes:
U must have had conversations with many many people who made reference to relatives in local places…. ‘Like one of my uncle in the village ehn’….. but u won’t reason it
Once u hear someone mentions a relative overseas, U unsecured mind, ur inferior conscience would remind u that u don’t have person in abroad and would tag it pride

Oga, you need to work on yourself… you’re the problem

One reason rich people avoid poor old friends, there are certain utterances you make in discussions with them base on your wide experience, they’d see it as pride and might directly or indirectly kill you for it, but the rich ones would see it as a mere discussion and see it as topic for deliberations.

Again, Oga build yourself…don’t be Myopic

Why are you so irritating? Didn't you read my post properly? I said the pride is what I'm pointing out. Nobody exhibit pride upon having an uncle in the village. I find it quite irrelevant when some people mention their families abroad for no sensible reason. Someone will be like, my aunty in US used to breathe. So, something like that happened on Saturday, and I just had to scream to this dude who spoke constantly of an aunty in Arlington, Texas, that I have families in the Houston, London, St Paul elsewhere too. It was so annoying, he over did it. He would be like, my aunty in Arlington used to poo. That was what made me create this thread. I still can remember back in my school day, how a teacher began mentioning her son in the US, until she asked those of us with families abroad to signify by raising up our hands. I didn't because I found it so stupid. This woman had the gut to ask the raised hands where their families resided abroad. She later noticed my hands were down, and knew I was being stubborn. So she asked me "you, no, you don't want to talk right". At the end she won since I conceded and replied her "my *** lives in Houston, United states of America.

So, yesterday's experience brought back the memory, and I created this thread. Now you understand.

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 2:29pm On Sep 18, 2022
Hanndye:

Come to think of it, I think there is something that awes the human psyche about the word TRAVEL. Just make a mention of it where ever to, people gaze at out. People even get named after where they have been to. Neil Armstrong was not admired because the moon is better than earth, just the further he went. I think it's because we all all sojurners anyway. It's an innate thing like many others.

I love this.

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by smallvill(m): 2:29pm On Sep 18, 2022
My brother, it's the exchange rate o, you your person sends you just 1k dollars you know how much you are taking to the bank.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Desusi: 2:32pm On Sep 18, 2022
Most people used to think that when you have people abroad your problems are over.particularly parents or siblings. Little did they know that the person in abroad is facing a new breeds of problem,while struggling for money.Most of these peoples that travel would be struggling to get the ticket money used, some would want to settle cooperative. Alas,l once cried when l que for bread in Belgium. I remembered using my whole day job money to buy food in Brussels.

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by GistFullGround: 2:33pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

I have never read a comment as confusing as this. You mentioned shakara, yet earlier, you said I was jealous. You don't even know what to reply. I'm awed at your confusions

No, you are the one in a confused state of mind...

I meant what I implied. You are someone who wants to be what you are not.

I laughed out loud, did you not refer to yourself as a person in Houston, Texas?

You just got to America within 2 years and now you want to cast?

No wonder dunces rule Texas!
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 2:37pm On Sep 18, 2022
GistFullGround:

No, you are the one in a confused state of mind...

I meant what I implied. You are someone who wants to be what you are not.

I laughed out loud, did you not refer to yourself a person in Houston, Texas?

You just to America within 2 years and now you want to cast?

No wonder dunces rule Texas!

Man! It's obvious you're such a jovial person. I love your sense of humour. But it's okay. Please, no more jokes.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by 3seriez(m): 2:40pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

Really? Why did you say it's a southern Nigerian thing, don't you think the Northern Nigerians might be the same? Do you have any idea of how they react upon having families abroad? Please your opinion is welcome. Thank you.
Northerners don't brag about traveling abroad or perceived being abroad as any achievement. Some hardly even mention it. I see it more like an inferiority complex in play.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 2:44pm On Sep 18, 2022
Desusi:
Most people used to think that when you have people abroad your problems are over.particularly parents or siblings. Little did they know that the person in abroad is facing a new breeds of problem,while struggling for money.Most of these peoples that travel would be struggling to get the ticket money used, some would want to settle cooperative. Alas,l once cried when l que for bread in Belgium. I remembered using my whole day job money to buy food in Brussels.

On point! That's a nice one from you. Another thing which I noticed is that most people who boast of having families abroad don't even know which state or city the person resides in. I once asked a boaster "where in the US? " and she went numb, she was like "erm erm, America is big, I can't remember ". Some don't even know the difference between New York and London.
The pride is a bad thing.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by armadeo(m): 2:47pm On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

7. My daughter in Italy

9. My nephew in India

Etc.

Inferiority dey do you.

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Iamthoney(m): 2:48pm On Sep 18, 2022
My dad is in the US

My Elder Sister is UK

My Elder Bro is Germany

My Kid Bro is in Japan

Me I’m in Nigeria but you will never hear me tell anyone
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by madjune(m): 2:53pm On Sep 18, 2022
What an envious OP.

His envious energy is so palpable. Damn.
People like this can poison his friend who wan japa.

I'm sure na broke ass nigga from Edo.

It's not easy to sponsor anybody abroad or even to find yourself abroad.

Go and make money and you won't envy anybody or abroad.

You're just too envious. It's that simple.

2 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Patriotsleague: 2:56pm On Sep 18, 2022
You live in the village?

Na for village all these type people dey.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by larrypourl(m): 2:58pm On Sep 18, 2022
emmaodet:

Ask them to drop part money for the movement, next you'll hear them say God go do am. Like say e easy. Women are like that. Not putting unnecessary pressure on myself

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

New Drone That Allows Humans Fly Launched (Photos, Video) / See this Hilarious "Road Bump" Spotted In Nigeria (pics) / Appeal Or Reapply For France Schengen Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.